PDA

View Full Version : Regular Down Vs. Waterproof Down

Space Wrangler
02-23-2010, 14:07
Im planning a thru-hike and trying to decide between the Marmot Helium and the Marmot Helium EQ.
Personally i will try to stay in shelters as much as possiple but otherwise i will probably be carrying a tent. Any suggestions?

Panzer1
02-23-2010, 14:38
If you are going to be staying is shelters a lot I would go with the EQ even though it cost about $80 more. If you get any rain or snow blowing into the shelter you will be better off with the waterproof EQ.

Panzer

carobe
02-23-2010, 15:17
I went through the same back and forth with my Helium. I ended up going with the EQ. In my mind, every ounce of prevention helps with East Coast (read: moist) weather.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2010, 15:48
Don't underestimate how water resistant the regular Helium is. The first thing I did when I got mine was stick it in the shower to watch the water roll off. The weak point for moisture is the stitching. Use a waterproof stuff sack and you'll be fine.

10-K
02-23-2010, 18:42
If you've ever tried to wash a down bag you'll know just how hard it is to soak the thing even without waterproofing.

Not saying it can't be done, but a down bag isn't going to turn to slop if it gets a little water on it.

mweinstone
02-23-2010, 20:17
my helium eq i call motel marmot. my col -20 eq is hotel marmot. both get me chicks. without eq? gay.gabish?

Space Wrangler
02-24-2010, 00:58
alright mweinstone, you sold me with the ladies, the eq's comin in hot on the overnight plane, much appreciated yall