PDA

View Full Version : Load Comfort : Circuit vs. Ohm

frisbeefreek
02-23-2010, 18:01
I need to buy a new pack to replace my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (3lbs & 3600cu-in).

I want to buy a ULA (I saw a bunch on the PCT last year and they all got rave reviews).

Narrowed it down to Ohm vs. Circuit. The only reason for the indecision is that the Ohm is ~ 14oz lighter (including accessories).

I like to carry the pack weight on my hips (on my old Nimbus, I could undo the shoulder straps and still carry the pack).

Several Questions:

Does the aluminum stay in the Circuit help with comfort?
How do these packs handle heavier weights? My base weight (w/o pack) is about 10#, but I'll load it up with 15-20lbs of food/water on a regular basis (30# is the Ohm's rated limit). Obviously weight drops day-by-day.
How much back padding does the Ohm have? Can I use a full-length Z-rest as additional cushioning?

Thanks - FF

Chaco Taco
02-23-2010, 19:18
I just got a Circuit and its pretty sweet. The stay does help but you could probably go without it and it still feel fine. Its only a few ounces

Red Beard
02-23-2010, 19:28
I loaded my circuit up with about 35 pounds this weekend. I have the aluminum stay, and frankly I think it rides better than my other heavy pack (Gregory Lassen). Also, the circuit is a lot more pack than I thought I was getting. There's gobs of space in this thing. I'd highly recommend a circuit.

Dogwood
02-23-2010, 21:45
I need to buy a new pack to replace my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (3lbs & 3600cu-in).

I want to buy a ULA (I saw a bunch on the PCT last year and they all got rave reviews).

Narrowed it down to Ohm vs. Circuit. The only reason for the indecision is that the Ohm is ~ 14oz lighter (including accessories).

I like to carry the pack weight on my hips (on my old Nimbus, I could undo the shoulder straps and still carry the pack).

Several Questions:

How do these packs handle heavier weights? My base weight (w/o pack) is about 10#, but I'll load it up with 15-20lbs of food/water on a regular basis (30# is the Ohm's rated limit). Obviously weight drops day-by-day.
How much back padding does the Ohm have? Can I use a full-length Z-rest as additional cushioning?

Thanks - FF

Several Questions:

Thanks - FF

Whoa Kimosabee! You are making it sound as if the only characteristics or specs you should be zoning in on when comparing these two packs is pack wt. and how much one can weigh it down and still feel comfortable. If only it was always that straight forward that you always went with the lighter piece of gear and it was always more comfortable!

One of the crucial aspects to consider when opting for a pack, no matter how much the pack weighs, is volume of the pack. Will your gear fit inside or on the pack for the hike(s) you have in mind when using the pack? JOB ONE! The Ohm is about 3560 cubic inches(cubes). The Circuit is listed at 4200 cubes. Which pack volume mostly closely resembles the volume you need for all your gear on the hikes you are most likely take on? Now, take it from there! You got to find the right balance between your pack and the gear you are going to put into it with all the other considerations one could have - like comfort, backpack wt, features, hiking style, resupply opps, time of yr you are most likely to want to use this pack which could affect the the pack volume required, etc, etc etc.

Yes, the Ohm is 14 oz lighter because it's a smaller volumed pack designed for smaller volumed lighter wt loads.

1. Most say the stay makes heavier loads or loads close to or SLIGHTLY over the max recommended load of 35 lbs for the Circuit more comfortable or easier to haul. Some don't use the stay for lighter loads. Some say the pack is comfortable without the stay all the time under various loads, even under heavier loads. Beware, comfort is subjective. Different people have different experiences under the same gear conditions, and also beware that comfort is effected by such factors as: load wt., the way the pack is loaded, shoes, proper sizing of the pack, proper use of the pack for which it was designed, etc.

2. Legit concern when hiking trails that sometimes all of a sudden hit long waterless stretches requiring significantly increasing water wt carried or between far spaced resupply pts. requiring heavier and bulkier food hauls or when you switch out to heavier often bulkier gear or need to carry that one additional heavy bulkier piece of gear.

You can SLIGHTLY over wt the OHM and Circuit for short durations and most likely get away with it. Continue or constantly do it and not only can you have problems with the pack but problems with your body. The designer's specs are there for a good reason. They are there to help you get the right piece of gear to do the job. When you go over the manufacturers recommended max carrying wt by 5-6 lbs for short periods like when carrying some extra water on waterless stretches like on the PCT you will most likely be able to get away with it for the amount of time the pack is actually over wt.

3. The Circuit has an integrated included I think removable backpad. The OHM has no included back pad. I don't how you would use a full length ZRest for additional back padding with the OHM. You could use the ZRest inside the pack burrito style or use the circumference method. Personally, I would find both techniques unacceptable with the OHM becasue of the OHM's volume and having to commit as much of that volume to something like a bulky ZRest pad. I don't use ZRests but with the Ohm I would attach it to the outside of the pack. Even with the Circuit I don't want to commit all that inside pack volume to a bulky ZRest. I think it was the designers intention that if you wanted a backpad you would do something similar as is done in the Conduit or pack your softer gear against the inside back of the pack.

Another problem I have with using the circumference method with either the OHM or Circuit is that the burrito/circumference method is often used to creaet a virtual pack frame, to give the pack rigidity and carrying ability and comfort. Both the OHM and Circuit(and Catalyst) already address this issue with a stay or hoop. The Conduit REQUIRES a virtual packframe, often in the form of a short partially folded sleeping pad held in by elastic straps that also create an interior back pad. .

It might be helpful to keep in mind that Ultralite Adventures(ULA) was founded by an ULer having an UL mindset. One of the designers thoughts was to use gear in multiple ways to limit wt. The designs of these packs, while being quite versatile and adaptable, are an aspect of that total UL mindset. The packs can and often are employed as one component that meshes with other components to create a total UL gear package. Other UL manufacturers often employ the same principles.

Dogwood
02-23-2010, 21:46
Sorry for the double quote!

frisbeefreek
02-23-2010, 22:00
Thanks for replies.

Question:

Does the Ohm have any back padding? The description says "Internal Pad Holder". It sounds like this is nothing more than "sack with straps" - granted it is well designed.

Volume is not important for me - I pack small (I actually think the Circuit might be too big for me).

skinewmexico
02-23-2010, 22:45
Wow. After Dogwood's post, all I can add is I like my Circuit. Don't have the Ohm, have the Catalyst and Conduit too. I do expect the Circuit handles being overloaded better than the Ohm. If the Ohm is like the Conduit, it has some elastic loops inside to hold the pad inside, not a pocket. This spring I'm going to try a Gossamer Gear Gorilla as my little pack that can carry a lot of water.

Dogwood
02-23-2010, 22:55
I think I need an editor, publisher, and breath of air. Frisbeefreek, # 2. second sentence. OHM has no backpad. It has an internal upside down U hoop to re distribute the load. Not far off from sack with straps deal. Conduit has no frame at all! Circuits has the stay and backpad.

frisbeefreek
02-23-2010, 23:17
Dogwood - Thanks much. I'm going with the Circuit - No doubt about it now.

Cheers-FF

HikingIllini
02-24-2010, 13:48
the Ohm and all ULA packs now ship with all options included, including the back pad. I bought mine before the new owners made this decision. I use a prolite 3 small folded in thirds and tucked into the pad straps to provide extra cushion. I pack it in flat with the valve closed, then open it to somewhat inflate after I pack everything else in....this fills some of the extra space and allows you to compress the load tightly.

Since it will be in the mid 20s this weekend, I am thinking about strapping a z-rest to the top strap to provide extra insulation.

Dogwood
02-24-2010, 13:58
Thanks for the update HikingIllini. I stand corrected. Back pad now included. I also used the Prolite 3 small in my Conduit the exact same way as you.

Frisbeefreek, I led you to believe placing a ZRest inside an OHM using the circumference method was somehow wrong. You can certainly do it and it would work. I just don't do it myself for the reasons I gave.

Happy pack hunting and hiking.