PDA

View Full Version : More snow......

Mrs Baggins
02-23-2010, 18:43
Here we go again. At least 5" predicted for our mid Maryland area starting late Wednesday night/very early Thursday morning and lasting all day Thursday into the evening. Weather.com, accu-weather, and noaa.gov all have the winter storm watches up now. Weather.com and Accu-weather have the 5" figure - Noaa.gov doesn't give an amount - yet.

Roland
02-23-2010, 18:57
Here we go again. At least 5" predicted for our mid Maryland area starting late Wednesday night/very early Thursday morning and lasting all day Thursday into the evening. Weather.com, accu-weather, and noaa.gov all have the winter storm watches up now. Weather.com and Accu-weather have the 5" figure - Noaa.gov doesn't give an amount - yet.

It's winter, what do you expect? Besides, the snowfall will be followed by heavy rain. Your snow will be gone in less than 24 hrs.

Stressing over things that are completely out of our control is a waste of energy. It's only weather. Make the best of it.

mweinstone
02-23-2010, 19:02
please come to the warmer even if it snows. duncanon is sooo beautiful in winter. the low angle suns rays reflect on the sussquahanna to give a look of lava and gold flowing past the doyals windows.

Chaco Taco
02-23-2010, 19:39

http://aroundthesphere.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Mrs Baggins
02-23-2010, 19:42
It's winter, what do you expect? Besides, the snowfall will be followed by heavy rain. Your snow will be gone in less than 24 hrs.

Stressing over things that are completely out of our control is a waste of energy. It's only weather. Make the best of it.

I don't believe I said I was stressing out. I was simply giving a heads up in case anyone had plans to be out in this area since the AT does run about 4 miles from my house. And no, we don't have any "heavy rain" coming behind it. Not yet anyway. And if we did, we'd better hope it's not "all gone in 24 hours." We have 3 feet and more in places, plowed drifts that are 8 feet high along road sides. If that gets washed away that fast we'll be in some hellacious flooding problems.

Yahtzee
02-23-2010, 19:44

What we expect in MD/PA is different than what you expect in NH. So while your state and car and municipality might be outfitted to handle storms on a regular basis, ours are not. Philly ran through its snow budget on the first storm in Dec. A budget based on what WE expect We have had two big ones since then. We may get nothing or we may get a foot. However, this has been an unusual winter-- see record breaking snow amounts in Philly, Balt, D.C. -- so cut us some slack if we don't just ho-hum another foot.

So for those of us in the PA/MD/NJ region, again? Seriously? Good god.

Panzer1
02-23-2010, 20:08
I heard that it could be a foot or more. we'll see.

Panzer (always stressed out by bad weather):eek:

Blissful
02-23-2010, 20:15
We're gonna escape it, yahoo! Maybe a dusting.

Rocket Jones
02-23-2010, 21:28
We're gonna escape it, yahoo! Maybe a dusting.
Yep, they're just calling for snow showers here in Northern VA. I did hear something about New England and Blizzard.

Glad this one is mostly missing us.

Foyt20
02-23-2010, 21:35
Storm of Historical Proportions... (http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews)

I like the wording on this one :eek:

Toolshed
02-23-2010, 21:36
Here we go again. At least 5" predicted for our mid Maryland area starting late Wednesday night/very early Thursday morning and lasting all day Thursday into the evening. Weather.com, accu-weather, and noaa.gov all have the winter storm watches up now. Weather.com and Accu-weather have the 5" figure - Noaa.gov doesn't give an amount - yet. Now THAT is an Inconvenient Truth!!!!! :D

scottdennis
02-23-2010, 21:39
I'm just glad we have global warming or we'd all be frozen icicles! ;)

Slo-go'en
02-23-2010, 22:03
So, ya all stocked up on bread, eggs and milk? The three thing everyone thinks they can't do without when a storm is predicted.

Finally, some snow coming up this way - I hope. They say it will snow on and off until Saturday, but I'll belive it when I start to shove it! And then go snow shoe in it! I had a feeling our big storms would come in March and April this year.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2010, 22:10
Storm of Historical Proportions... (http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews)

I like the wording on this one :eek:

Oh boy, I'm in the "paralyzing blizzard" part of that map:banana Though it will likely turn out to be a storm of histerical proportions, seeing how they like to hype these things. Good thing I got my bread and milk - don't do eggs - just in case.

rambunny
02-23-2010, 22:14
Supposidly our biggest snowstorm of the year is coming the 1st week of March-i don't know what to believe-we're a bit shell shocked here with all the records for 100 years broken. Some has melted-but not enough!Lots of mud to follow. I guess we'll get the garden in eventually.If you start in April it outta be lovely.

scottdennis
02-23-2010, 22:22
Supposidly our biggest snowstorm of the year is coming the 1st week of March-i don't know what to believe-we're a bit shell shocked here with all the records for 100 years broken. Some has melted-but not enough!Lots of mud to follow. I guess we'll get the garden in eventually.If you start in April it outta be lovely.

You got that right! My yard's a MESS.:mad:

Old Hiker
02-23-2010, 22:25
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;976195]So, ya all stocked up on bread, eggs and milk? The three thing everyone thinks they can't do without when a storm is predicted.

QUOTE]

I thought is was bread, milk and toilet paper. At least, when I was at the Pentagon, that's what Don and Mike always said people were running out to buy.

shoe
02-23-2010, 22:39
So, ya all stocked up on bread, eggs and milk? The three thing everyone thinks they can't do without when a storm is predicted.

Everyone needs the ability to make French Toast. :)

Jester2000
02-23-2010, 22:47
Gonna be a big ol' nothin'. Mark my words.

Foyt20
02-23-2010, 22:55
Oh boy, I'm in the "paralyzing blizzard" part of that map:banana Though it will likely turn out to be a storm of histerical proportions, seeing how they like to hype these things. Good thing I got my bread and milk - don't do eggs - just in case.

Although I'll agree with the hype thing, It is accuweather, they dont need to exadgerate like the local news stations do to get viewers.

Make sure you get beer too :D

DAJA
02-23-2010, 22:55
Fingers crossed for all hell to break loose! The bigger and meaner the better... We've been cheated this winter, or rather extended fall/early spring...

Unfortunately, the current weather report for our region is periods of heavy snow, mixed with periods of heavy rain and sustained winds of 48 mph and gust to 70... Meaning, a big ol' nothin!

Oh well, i'm heading out tomorrow for a four day trip anyway hoping old man winter makes one strong appearance this winter...

LeeAllure
02-24-2010, 01:13
I miss the "Paralyzing Blizzard" by about 40 miles (much to my dismay!)

I do hope that the projected winds don't knock down a tree or two - I can handle all the snow we may get, but needing a new roof right about now would not be welcomed.

Lee

Yahtzee
02-24-2010, 01:32
Gonna be a big ol' nothin'. Mark my words.

I agree. Altho, the idea of more chaos in the city does have its appeal. But, I think Friday morn will find the roads wet but clear.

Mrs Baggins
02-24-2010, 06:54
What we expect in MD/PA is different than what you expect in NH. So while your state and car and municipality might be outfitted to handle storms on a regular basis, ours are not. Philly ran through its snow budget on the first storm in Dec. A budget based on what WE expect We have had two big ones since then. We may get nothing or we may get a foot. However, this has been an unusual winter-- see record breaking snow amounts in Philly, Balt, D.C. -- so cut us some slack if we don't just ho-hum another foot.

So for those of us in the PA/MD/NJ region, again? Seriously? Good god.

I live in MD. NOT NH.

Rocket Jones
02-24-2010, 07:05
...it will likely turn out to be a storm of histerical proportions, seeing how they like to hype these things.

The Storm of the Century of the Week :p

Jester2000
02-24-2010, 10:32
I live in MD. NOT NH.

He was responding to Roland's post. Roland lives in NH.

DAJA
02-24-2010, 10:44
Well i'm off for the weekend, gotta be back in time for the Olympic Gold Metal hockey game on Sunday.. (Hoping for a Canada/US rematch..)

Anyway, lets see if this paralyzing blizzard finds me! Gonna be bushwacking a peice of the coast along the Bay of Fundy that i've kayaked along for years and have always wanted to explore by foot, so here's the perfect opportunity... I'll be carrying my snowshoes, in hopes that I finally get to use them this winter..

Snowleopard
02-24-2010, 13:03
I'm just glad we have global warming or we'd all be frozen icicles! ;)
It's a very warm snow here (2 miles south of NH).
The forecasts last night ranged from 4 inches to 3 feet. 1 to 2 feet on the ground now and still snowing. 4 feet next to the driver's door of my car. :mad:

mudhead
02-24-2010, 14:51
It's a very warm snow here (2 miles south of NH).
The forecasts last night ranged from 4 inches to 3 feet. 1 to 2 feet on the ground now and still snowing. 4 feet next to the driver's door of my car. :mad:

Won't that be guano if it comes off cold.

Snowleopard
02-24-2010, 16:10
Won't that be guano if it comes off cold.
Too true! I always hate it when my car gets frozen in till spring.
Time to do a second round of shovelling.

Blissful
02-24-2010, 16:15
Glad the north is getting it. Been too easy up there this year, at least where my folks live in the Catskills. I feel like I never left NY sometimes (even though I did 30 plus years ago).

Marmotnj
02-24-2010, 19:38
can't be snowed in without beer!

Toolshed
02-24-2010, 19:55
can't be snowed in without beer!
Famous words of our illustrious Mayor Jimmy Griffin, Buffalo NY During the Blizzard of 77. "Don't panic just go out and get a 6-pack and you'll be fine..." (or something like that...

veteran
02-25-2010, 01:20
Latest snowfall forecast from Accuweather:

http://beta2010.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/25360/latest-snowfall-forecast.asp