PDA

View Full Version : First time trail running

sbhikes
02-23-2010, 21:43
I finally decided to try trail running. I think this is a sport I could enjoy.

The other day I decided that I missed feeling really super in shape like I was on my big hike, so I set off in the morning carrying only a light windbreaker (weather is nice here in Southern California), a little money, a credit card and a phone. No real itinerary.

I thought maybe I would just jog/walk up to the Trader Joes, but then I thought hey it's not that much further to a popular trail head, so I aimed for that.

Then I remembered there was a trail I could follow to get to the popular trailhead, so I did that.

When I got to the trailhead, I thought hey this trail running is really nice, maybe I'll just run up to the water fountain part way up the trail. So I did that, walking on hills, but running when it was flat.

When I got to the water fountain, I thought why not just go to the view point. I don't have to run the whole way. So I ran the flats and walked the hills until I got up to the view point, stopping to drink from a small creek that was running. Meanwhile, I met lots of trail runners and they were very friendly and seemed to be happy people.

When I got to the view point, I decided I was pretty thirsty so I better go back to the water fountain, so I ran down.

Then I thought I would run back down the trail to the park where there's another water fountain so I did that.

Then I was getting hungry so I thought maybe I'll just run down to the 7-11 and get a snack. Then I thought hey there's a nice bagel shop down the street, I'll go there. Then I thought hey there's another better bagel shop a few miles down the street so I went there instead.

When I got there, I was pretty spent, so I mostly walked back home. Total of 15 miles altogether. I was so sore.

But I had such a great time. It was like an ultralight day hike because I had no food, water or gear beyond my windbreaker. And it was kind of like my big half-thru-hike, leaving my "home" each morning without a clue where I would end up at the end of the day, drinking water as it was available.

I hope I can do it again. I did overdo it a bit, but it was a lot of fun.

JAK
02-23-2010, 21:48
Awesome. Glad to see your feeling better. Experiment of one.

fiddlehead
02-23-2010, 21:57
Sounds like a good 1st day. No plans=the best plans sometimes.
Many ultra runners just carry a simple water bottle in their hand.
Some carry gel packs for a food source too.
Up to you of course.
Enjoy!

JJJ
02-23-2010, 22:18
Welcome, to trail running. Sounds like a fun first day.
I love the sport -especially the individual, open-ended self-directed challenge aspects.
The scenery is great, the people are fun are and interesting.
I've probably never been healthier.
Find a group to run with.
Have fun out there.

yappy
02-23-2010, 22:19
I do some up here in the summer. I really like it as well.....in winter the dog trails are so hard they make great running trails on those COLD dark days... Hi Fiddle dude.. dennis is w rainman on the flt. I hear they are having a greattime..:)

John B
02-24-2010, 09:57
As you quickly discovered, it's highly addictive. :sun

Check out the "trail running" section of www.runnersworld.com (http://www.runnersworld.com) for lots of info, tips, gear reviews, and RAVE run reviews.

Tinker
02-24-2010, 10:01
I used to run a lot:
Then I got a bicycle,
then I got a car,
Now I can't run anymore.
So I hike.
I did a little jogging last weekend while instructing a XC ski class and discovered I still enjoy the heck out of it, but my (previously) torn hamstring is complaining today.

JAK
02-24-2010, 18:02
I have a very sore butt, left side. I'm working on it.

thelowend
02-24-2010, 19:25
i wish my tendonitis stricken knees could handle more than a mile or so of running without inflaming the tendons in my knee worse than a post on whiteblaze ;-)

sbhikes
02-25-2010, 00:49
All my tendonitis and other problems are from hiking. So running is almost a relief.

modiyooch
02-25-2010, 08:25
A balance bar for food can easily be carried. I stopped for lunch during my marathon.
I try to be cautious in regards to running downhill. I create mini switchbacks in the trail. I wonder if it's effective.
trail running helps with my mental state while waiting for hiking season.