PDA

View Full Version : trail side camping

gravy4601
02-24-2010, 01:04
where can i camp on the trail meaning can i camp off the trail as long as i'm not in a state park or do i have to stay in a designated hamp site like a shelter

Cool AT Breeze
02-24-2010, 01:16
Any where there is not a no camping sign.

oso loco
02-24-2010, 02:07
Depends on where you are. Some places have designated camp areas. The National Parks have their own rules. Some places you can camp where you want.

bigcranky
02-24-2010, 08:17
The vast majority of the AT allows camping pretty much anywhere. That's not to say that you will want to camp anywhere along the vast majority of the trail -- it's often steep, rocky, etc. However you will very quickly figure out how to choose a good campsite.

The places that don't allow free-range camping are well marked in the guidebooks and (usually) on the trail.

mweinstone
02-24-2010, 08:36
dont worry. in an emergency, you may bivi directly on the trail. ive done it less than 6 times but sometimes with dozens of people at once. say a shelters packed and tented to death and water floods all remaining land save a wide flat dry trail. in these situations, rules are suspended. in other places, the woods next to the trail are fine. this is never near water cause places with water have camping rules usually. and their are heavily restricted places for the sake of the plants recovery areas and such witch make up a small amount of sites. you will figure it out easy.their is allways a place to tent. you may walk extra miles and hours and miss dinner and arive past dark or so late the sun is comming up, but the trail is the boss.

Blissful
02-24-2010, 13:46
Check the ALDHA companion, etc for rules. Some states, as well as national and state parks, also at the Whites, require you to stay in certain campsites and shelters.

The Flatulator
02-24-2010, 14:05
There are usually plenty of places along the Trail to camp. You can usually expect to find a site near a water source. I am not sure about other states, but in Maine you will need a fire permit if you choose to build a fire. Get caught without one and there is a large fine and/or jail time. Fire wardens take their job seriously and frown upon unauthorized fires. From a hiker and trail maintainer standpoint, unauthorized campsites and/or fire rings are unsightly along the footpath, so best to locate a site away from the Trail to help maintain some of that "pristine" flavor we all seek while we are out hiking instead of having to view a bunch of "illegal" sites. Use what is there instead of creating another site and always leave the site cleaner than when you found it.