PDA

View Full Version : Theft on the AT

MtnRider1981
02-24-2010, 07:03
I recently bought a Eureka bivy-style tent. Until it was delivered to my home did I regard the possibility of my pack or other valuables being stolen during the night. Tent size is my concern, hence I cannot sleep with my pack inside with me. This is a growing concern of mine.

What is the likelihood of property being jacked on the trail? Does it happen often? I think I want a bigger tent.

boarstone
02-24-2010, 07:22
I bought a nice solo tent, 3lbs at Overstock.com....Alps...room for person and pack, at least check it out. Go to site, click on sports, then enter tent in search bar. Good luck...

bigcranky
02-24-2010, 08:10
I wouldn't worry about your pack being stolen while you camp along the trail. It's common to have your pack(s) outside the tent, or hanging in the shelter, or whatever. Nobody will mess with your stuff.

In town is another matter. Keep an eye on it. Not a huge big deal -- i.e., very few packs ever get stolen -- but it would suck to be one of the few.

SGT Rock
02-24-2010, 08:11
I recently bought a Eureka bivy-style tent. Until it was delivered to my home did I regard the possibility of my pack or other valuables being stolen during the night. Tent size is my concern, hence I cannot sleep with my pack inside with me. This is a growing concern of mine.

What is the likelihood of property being jacked on the trail? Does it happen often? I think I want a bigger tent.

If you camp away from roads you are probably fine. Everyone has their own stuff to carry, they probably don't want yours too.

Hopefully that tent has a vestibule to put your pack in.

Spokes
02-24-2010, 08:13
Theft on the AT is rare. Common advice is to avoid camping near roadways where it's easier for undesirables to venture on with mischief in mind.

As far as your tent goes, it's a matter of preference. A one person tent is nice especially when you need to sort through stuff in the middle of a downpour.

Good luck!

Toolshed
02-24-2010, 08:19
I understand your concern, but it like some others that folks might have (robbery, rape, murder...) are usually unfounded. As Rock said - Stay away from camping at roads and if a shelter is close to a road, assume it'd full of partiers on weekends and move on.

Once you get out on the trail, or "a trail", I beleive your concerns will be lessened greatly.

mweinstone
02-24-2010, 08:22
ive walked this trail since birth and pride myself in being still able to leave valubles unattended. my pack sits for hours at all manner of trail places in and out of town. my pack has thousands of dollars cash in it in between the foam pad and the pocket for it. were someone to steal my pack, with all my gear being patagonia and black diamond, and with the cash i keep, they would get 6 thousand dollars worth. my food bag alone with knob creek and all the health foods i eat, is worth 200 dollars to me. hell, just the theft of my sun clorella and spirulina would set me back 50. i trust everyone and cling to no money. take my pack if you need it. i can get as many as i need from my god. and i never keep id and credit cards in my shorts, their in there too. so have my identity too. i got lots. no theif will ever make me change my ways. i was taught to trust my world and not care when my stuff is taken. i grew up sleeping in salvation army shelters where i had to shower with my pack. surrounded by 99% theives. now im older and have climbed out of that hole. im proud to live up here on the surface with the rest of you. and we have less than a small percent of theives up here so its like the safest place ive ever been. plus beating a freash caught and skinned theifs carcass is fun if you catch on.

fiddlehead
02-24-2010, 09:28
Had my pack stolen once.
In NC (near Watauga dam).
Partially, it was my fault. I hid the pack in the woods to hitchike to town and it was gone when i came back. Cops eventually found who did it (kids) and I got most of my stuff back.
But it sucks when it happens.

I don't leave my pack anymore but keep it with me.

I wish I could agree with Matty (above) but morals have changed a bit IMO.

mweinstone
02-24-2010, 09:32
we all have witnesed what outfitters and individuals and groups do when their is a pack theft of a thru hiker. ive seen mt rodgers give free equipment to victoms. ive seen ab barracuss and others do it too. after a certin amount of miles, we as a community will help someone in this situation. its an unwritten rule of the trail.we"ll get ya ta me.

peakbagger
02-24-2010, 09:43
You have a better chance of a bear hauling away your pack into the woods than having it stolen by a person if you are on the trail. If you stay at organized campsites, the bears and other critters get used to humans and regard their stuff as a food source. If you dont hang your food and leave it in your pack, the average bear will prefer picking it up and hauling it away to pick through it with privacy. If you stay away from campsites and civilization, this doesnt really apply. The one place to worry as previously mentioned is road crossings, if you leave you pack in the woods while you go to town, you have a much higher chance of someone stealing it. Even though you think you did a good job hiding it, the local sleezebags are pretty good at finding it as they have practice.

Rockhound
02-24-2010, 10:40
we all have witnesed what outfitters and individuals and groups do when their is a pack theft of a thru hiker. ive seen mt rodgers give free equipment to victoms. ive seen ab barracuss and others do it too. after a certin amount of miles, we as a community will help someone in this situation. its an unwritten rule of the trail.we"ll get ya ta me.
ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MATTY! IT'S TIME TO GET SPELL CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!......witnessed, I've, Rogers, certain, and I hope Ab Barracuss is a person otherwise,?????????????????????????

JustaTouron
02-24-2010, 10:47
I understand your concern, but it like some others that folks might have (robbery, rape, murder...) are usually unfounded. As Rock said - Stay away from camping at roads and if a shelter is close to a road, assume it'd full of partiers on weekends and move on.

Once you get out on the trail, or "a trail", I beleive your concerns will be lessened greatly.

Bit of thread drift. But I have notice to recurring themes of advice:

1. Never camp or use a shelter that is near a road for safety reasons.

2. Take neros by camping near town, hiking in, then hiking out to a campsite or shelter near town.

:-?

Hmm...sounds like if you want to avoid the expense of staying overnight in a town you have to risk getting robbed, murdered or raped.....Am I missing something?

DawnTreader
02-24-2010, 10:57
I've seen hikers "stash" their pack in the woods, sometimes near roadways.. this is a bad idea imo, and where some thefts have occured... My pack never leaves my site... literally.. I can see it right now..

reddenbacher
02-24-2010, 11:38
i had 700 bucks taken out of my pack at standing bear.i hurt bad.my food quality went down after that.they didnt take anything else.just the cash stash that was duck taped to the inside.

Rockhound
02-24-2010, 11:41

That growing concern is a cancer eating away at your soul. Trust your fellow man, let go of that attachment to material possessions and you will find all you will ever need will flow like a river to you. Likewise you will be able to let go of what you may have thought you needed but is really just a burden, and let it flow downstream to another soul who might need it. Don't cling to things. Don't cling to the present. Embrace impermanence and you will find true happiness. Oh... and if anyone jacks your stuff, kick their flargin azz.

Yahtzee
02-24-2010, 11:42
Are you sure your pack won't fit? After your tent, pad, and sleeping bag are out and your clothes bag is being used as a pillow, there is very little left of your pack. Mainly food and cooking gear. Try a night with your near empty pack at your feet. I like having something to prop my sore swollen feet on after a long day. Give it a shot and you may not have to worry about having your gear jacked.

Slo-go'en
02-24-2010, 12:10
I've seen hikers "stash" their pack in the woods, sometimes near roadways.. this is a bad idea imo, and where some thefts have occured... My pack never leaves my site... literally.. I can see it right now..

I often "stash" my pack in the woods if I need to road walk a mile or so to a store and back. However, leaving it very near the road crossing and in the open isn't a good idea.

I go at least 100 yards up the trail, then far enough off the trail it can't be seen from the trail, then put it behind a big log and cover with brush. The main trick is remembering where it was stashed!

Rocket Jones
02-24-2010, 13:02
I go at least 100 yards up the trail, then far enough off the trail it can't be seen from the trail, then put it behind a big log and cover with brush. The main trick is remembering where it was stashed!

That's when you carry two of the lightest, cheapest disposable phones you can find. Take one with you when you stash the pack, turn the other one on inside the pack.

Can't remember exactly where you left the pack? Call yourself.

rambunny
02-24-2010, 13:17
Maybe try my system of using just the rainfly from a tent and some Tyveck as ground cloth. Mine weighs 1 1/2 lbs. And i've had 4 people playing cards in it.If you want to go into a resturant that won't let your pack in set it in front of a window with your sticks on top pointing up, sit by the door-see sticks move run.For the most part follow your gut and nothing will be taken.Hang filthy socks on the front-oderifious deterant.

Blissful
02-24-2010, 13:42
You need to keep an eye on your stuff around shelters. and of course in towns and hostels. But at night, most of your stuff has been unloaded for your camp at night except your smelly and dirty pack. Just put it near your tent and don't worry about it.

SGT Rock
02-24-2010, 13:50

2. Take neros by camping near town, hiking in, then hiking out to a campsite or shelter near town.

Hmm...sounds like if you want to avoid the expense of staying overnight in a town you have to risk getting robbed, murdered or raped.....Am I missing something?
Depends on how far from town you are comfortable with staying. For me anything under 10 miles is a short day. So if you stay 2 to 5 miles out of town, hike into town and do your stuff, then get back on the trail and hike out 2 to 5 miles you avoid issues and still have half a day in town.

02-24-2010, 17:52
That is why they make bear bells.
Actually what is more likely is that you pick up a peice of gear on the table thinking it is yours or vice verse. Everyone has like gear. like colored bags etc. So the next day you open your food bag and find out it is not yours. Now what? go look at the baggs hanging and try to find yours? What if someone sees you looking through all the bags? What will they think? Just speak up. Hey I got some ones food!! Who has mine!

JustaTouron
02-24-2010, 18:11
Actually what is more likely is that you pick up a peice of gear on the table thinking it is yours or vice verse. Everyone has like gear. like colored bags etc. So the next day you open your food bag and find out it is not yours.

Good reason to get a permanent marker and put your name on everything. Clothes, foodbag, stove, sleeping bag, water bottles, filter, etc. It will greatly cut down on accidents. When an accident occurs you will get your stuff back quicker and if a theft occurs the item will be less valuable to the thief. If everyone on the trail knows Mary Smith had her blue raincoat stolen, and someone notices John Jones blue raincoat has "M. Smith" written inside he is gonna have a hard time explaining why he has a raincoat labled M. Smith.

JustaTouron
02-24-2010, 18:17
Depends on how far from town you are comfortable with staying. For me anything under 10 miles is a short day. So if you stay 2 to 5 miles out of town, hike into town and do your stuff, then get back on the trail and hike out 2 to 5 miles you avoid issues and still have half a day in town.

Thanks.

I would not consider 10 miles near zero. But I guess I could see 4 being close to a zero day.

Doctari
02-24-2010, 18:30
I have heard of thefts after "I stashed my pack along the road to go to town, when I came back it was gone" for years. First, I always thought that was rather stupid! Second; Perhaps it wasn't exactly theft, but taking of "Abandoned gear". Leaving gear untended for extended periods of time, especially near a road, is an invitation to have it disappear.

I took my pack with me, but one "Short" trip to lunch & quick supply was to Jerry's Kitchen in VA, & I was gone for almost 2.5 hrs from the time I left the trail (Or my pack had I left it) till my return; 20 minutes to Jerry's, 1 hr for lunch, 20 minutes shopping, 20 minutes waiting for Jerry to be ready & 20 minutes back to the trail.

Quite a long time if you think about it. And, I bet it's average for a "quick trip into town" & bear in mind that it was only a 2 mile trip each way, & I did not have to find a ride back.

As to pack theft from my shelter: My pack hangs from my ridgeline, touch it & I know it. I usually try to camp far from view & almost never at a shelter. As stated above, Never near a road. I do not leave my pack un-tended if I can help it, & even to go get water, I take my money with me, "Just in case".

JustaTouron
02-24-2010, 18:49
I have heard of thefts after "I stashed my pack along the road to go to town, when I came back it was gone" for years. First, I always thought that was rather stupid! Second; Perhaps it wasn't exactly theft, but taking of "Abandoned gear". Leaving gear untended for extended periods of time, especially near a road, is an invitation to have it disappear.

Would not surprise me if a fair number of the "stolen" packs in fact are still in the exact same place the hiker left them. Hidden too well for a hiker who forgot which tree it was hidden behind.

WalkingStick75
02-24-2010, 19:10
I was ripped off only once and they stole a couple packs of FD food. If they were short I would have shared with them.

Do not camp near roads and watch your stuff when in town. Other then that you shouldn't have any problems.

Doctari
02-24-2010, 19:15
Would not surprise me if a fair number of the "stolen" packs in fact are still in the exact same place the hiker left them. Hidden too well for a hiker who forgot which tree it was hidden behind.

Yea, I can see that. I can see ME doing that in fact! :p
Then ranting & raving like a mad man, that someone stole my D**n pack.

Panzer1
02-24-2010, 19:45
I like to keep all my gear zipped up with me in the tent so I can access it all. My biggest concern would be if it starts to rain. Your stuff can get wet for no good reason. I would not consider a tent where my gear does not fit in with me.

Panzer
ps every year someone gets their pack stolen

scottdennis
02-24-2010, 20:56

You got that right! The low life are looking for EASY scores, so if they have to hike it to reach you they're not going to bother. I've noticed that some of the shelters are very close to the road and it even mentioned that the Sheriff regularly patrolled the sites. That tells me that "no good" has been happening there so I would avoid it like the plague!

WILLIAM HAYES
02-24-2010, 21:06
never had a problem with theft in 15 years on the AT -I always watch my gear carefully in towns though especally while in stores doing the laundry etc also be mindful of others and dont scatter your gear around in shelters where it could accidently be packed away by other hikers

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2010, 21:31
uhh very unlikely to happen except it happened to me in the dead of night in New York on the AT many years ago... A bear bell would have freaked the bejeasus out of the teen that did it. But we didn't have that stuff around back then.

tuswm
02-24-2010, 22:04
I was just looking at the dimensions of your tent.......
Is this your tent?
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/tents/larger/23888_l.jpg
http://www.eurekatent.com/skins/Skin_7/images/product/tents/floor_plans/Solitaire.lg.gif

This tens floor is 32 x 94, If you use a regular square CCf pad thats 20 X 72. A mummy sleeping pad is even smaller. If you sleep 6" from the door that leaves you 16 X 32 by your feet for your gear. You pack should be small by the time you go to bed. think about all the things you will have out of your pack by them, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, clothes for a pillow, I usually hand toiletries and food, and keep boots and stove and pot in vestibule. Then I keep a few things next to me as I sleep water, light, book, map, and chap stick. You should be able to keep your bag by your feet no problem, you can lean it against your tent wall if you dint mind a few drops of water or you can put your feet on it.

You will figure out something that works for you, dint worry. Good luck on your hike.

Just a Hiker
02-24-2010, 22:18
I've only had one theft issue while hiking......I was in South Mountain, PA at the General Store and two kids tried to run off with my pack that I had left by the door outside.......they didn't get far.....:D

Just Jim

scottdennis
02-24-2010, 22:20
If you attach a Claymore anti-personnel mine to your pack, they will never mess with it again.

(Just don't forget that you have it there when you go to pack up the next morning.)

G-WALK
02-24-2010, 22:57
I was just looking at the dimensions of your tent.......
Is this your tent?
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/tents/larger/23888_l.jpg
http://www.eurekatent.com/skins/Skin_7/images/product/tents/floor_plans/Solitaire.lg.gif

This tens floor is 32 x 94, If you use a regular square CCf pad thats 20 X 72. A mummy sleeping pad is even smaller. If you sleep 6" from the door that leaves you 16 X 32 by your feet for your gear. You pack should be small by the time you go to bed. think about all the things you will have out of your pack by them, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, clothes for a pillow, I usually hand toiletries and food, and keep boots and stove and pot in vestibule. Then I keep a few things next to me as I sleep water, light, book, map, and chap stick. You should be able to keep your bag by your feet no problem, you can lean it against your tent wall if you dint mind a few drops of water or you can put your feet on it.

You will figure out something that works for you, dint worry. Good luck on your hike.

That is the tent i used in 06, you can get a pack in up by your head...

Frosty
02-24-2010, 23:07

Hmm...sounds like if you want to avoid the expense of staying overnight in a town you have to risk getting robbed, murdered or raped.....Am I missing something?Yeah, for the neros, stay a mile or so in the woods, not on the road.

Bronk
02-25-2010, 03:21

One or two miles from the road is far enough...that's a half hour walk after you get back from town...in my experience, thieves are lazy...they just won't walk that far. Its also too far for a bunch of rowdy teenagers to carry a case of beer.

IceAge
02-25-2010, 12:46
Good reason to get a permanent marker and put your name on everything. Clothes, foodbag, stove, sleeping bag, water bottles, filter, etc. It will greatly cut down on accidents. When an accident occurs you will get your stuff back quicker and if a theft occurs the item will be less valuable to the thief. If everyone on the trail knows Mary Smith had her blue raincoat stolen, and someone notices John Jones blue raincoat has "M. Smith" written inside he is gonna have a hard time explaining why he has a raincoat labled M. Smith.

I do this by continuing to use the same old beat-up gear. No one could confuse their pack for mine with the mis-matched nylon patches and paracord zipper pulls. Probably prevents theft, too, who would want to steal a smelly, ragged looking pack like that?

nopain
02-25-2010, 13:18
Watch out for Elwood and Sled Dog !!!!!!

Two Speed
02-25-2010, 13:20
. . . Hang filthy socks on the front-oderifious deterant.Mmmm, I've usually got a bandanna that would work.

Me likey. :sun

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 14:15
If you attach a Claymore anti-personnel mine to your pack, they will never mess with it again.

Are you insane?

Do you realize how much a M18A1 claymore weighs? 3.5lbs!!!! Totally wipes out any weight savings by having a smaller tent.

The MM-1 Minimore is the only thing to take the length of the AT, it weighs a little less than a 1lb.

IceAge
02-25-2010, 14:29
I'm more of a DIY guy, I made my own hobo-claymore out of a Red Bull can, a firecracker and half a bag of Skittles.

mudhead
02-25-2010, 14:45
One or two miles . Its also too far for a bunch of rowdy teenagers to carry a case of beer.

Kids have no sense of adventure today. But maybe that is for the better.

02-25-2010, 20:30
Don't actually use a bear bell, but a fishing bell that clips to the end of fishing poles. Has a more cow bell sound. clips to anything. I have never had a peice of gear missed. I have seen lot of stuff left in shelters, one time a year later I saw the same item still in the shelter. Locals know how the get to many shelters by forrest road and Blue ridge parkway. so sometimes you think you are back in the woods and you are really near a road. The presents of beer cans and glass is the best indication of local party use of shelters.

Rockhound
02-25-2010, 22:34
Great. All this talk about bear bells. A windy night and it's gonna sound like Santas friggin sleigh landing every night at shelters up and down the A.T. now.