PDA

View Full Version : Tent for 1 person plus small dog ?

Puppy
02-24-2010, 14:08
What tent do you recommend for hiking with a smaller (23 pounds) dog ?

When I backpack by myself I use the seedhouse SL 1, but wonder if that netting could possibly end in disaster with a dog ?

My little dog loves hiking and I think she would have fun on some weekend backpacking trips...

thelowend
02-24-2010, 14:25
as long as she isn't too rambunctious and her nails are clipped short, you should be fine.

Roche
02-24-2010, 14:29
How does your dog behave in any tent? If it stays put in one tent, it most likely would stay put in a "netty tent". The only down side I've ever had with dogs is that they push me off my pad at night and I sleep on the cold ground.

mudhead
02-24-2010, 14:56
I have that tent and would think more room would be good. Picture putting a towel to the dog inside the tent. While trying to change.

Go climb in it with stuff and call the dog. There's your answer.

mykl
02-24-2010, 15:41
My dog has never messed with the mesh in any tent in her 11+ years camping. I just picked up a MSR Skinny Too for use with my dog and me. Its a non free standing single wall that seems to vent well. Might be a bit of an issue in rain, but with all vents open with good weather, I don't see to much of a condensation prob. We'll be testing out shortly in the field. She loved it set up in the yard.

wrongway_08
02-24-2010, 16:38
I camped with my Lab/pit mix and he is bigger then 23 pounds. We did fine in the Contrail tarp tent. Plenty of room.

I also camped with them in a Hubba-Hubba. Lots of room but a big weight and lots of extra space taken up in the pack with that tent over the tarptent.

ChinMusic
02-24-2010, 19:19
I have a 32-pound dog and the Six Moon Designs - Lunar Solo works perfectly. The footprint is that of a hexagon which gives a nice "triangle" for the dog to occupy without taking away any space from the human.

jedwa19
02-25-2010, 16:03
I've got a Shangri-la 1 with the tub bottom that I use when I backpack with my male Westie. He's only a 17 months and can get a little excited sometimes so I don't use the nest that can be purchase with it. The tent offers plenty of room for me (I'm a big guy) and then has a vestibule style end where I put down a folded tyvex groundcloth for my dog to sleep on.

LIhikers
02-26-2010, 18:55
I use a Tarptent Rainbow (http://tarptent.com/products.html).
There's room for me and an 80 pound shepherd.
For a small dog it would be plenty of room