PDA

View Full Version : Raingear Size

Simrose
09-28-2004, 21:39
The only time I have used raingear has been in the summer when I did not need layers under it. Should I consider buying new gear than is large enough to fit over layers of warmth? Mine could fit over layers but will be quite snug (the jacket mostly, the pants aren't really a problem). Would you say that over the course of a thru you put your raingear on more over other layers of over just your hiking clothes because it's warm enough while you're moving?

Thanks for any thoughts ... my credit card really does not want to carry the "weight" of new rain gear at the moment, but it will if need be.

Bloodroot
10-13-2004, 17:43

Bloodroot
10-13-2004, 17:48
The only time I have used raingear has been in the summer when I did not need layers under it. Should I consider buying new gear than is large enough to fit over layers of warmth? Mine could fit over layers but will be quite snug (the jacket mostly, the pants aren't really a problem). Would you say that over the course of a thru you put your raingear on more over other layers of over just your hiking clothes because it's warm enough while you're moving?

Thanks for any thoughts ... my credit card really does not want to carry the "weight" of new rain gear at the moment, but it will if need be.
I think it all depends on the climate. Personally, I am buying rain gear large enough to accomodate both my base and warm layers. A good idea to help your size situation might be to go ahead and buy a larger new jacket for the inital coldness, switch back to smaller fitting one when it gets warmer, then get the bigger one back before hitting the windy colder northern states, when a cold wind resisting warm/base layer would be needed.

Bloodroot
10-13-2004, 17:54

chris
10-13-2004, 18:15
In general, I like fairly form fitting clothing, even in rain gear. For long distance, moderate temperature hiking, I don't think you have to worry too much about bulky layering while hiking. For example, a shirt, followed by a fleece, followed by the rain jacket would be way too warm (for me, atleast) while going up and down hill. Of course, if you want to start in March, you might have to do something like this. My mountaineering jackets are cut larger, however, as they come with me when the white stuff is one the ground.

BookBurner
10-13-2004, 18:17
On a northbound thru-hike,you will probably wear raingear in the early spring and late fall. Eventhough it can be quite cool during these times, I doubt if you will need to wear any more insulation under your gear than just your normal hiking clothes. Exercise plus layers plus raingear would create one heck of a greenhouse effect in no time! In the summer, you will probably do without the raingear altogether for the same reason and just succumb to walking wet. The only time I wore any insulating layers under my raingear was in camp and that was usually only a midweight polypropelene shirt and a down vest. If you have enough room for that much clothing under your current raingear, go with what you got and save the cash!

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)

Kerosene
10-16-2004, 08:57
I agree with BookBurner, while you're walking you shouldn't need any extra insulation over your normal hiking clothes. While in camp, you might pull on the raingear to help cut the wind, but for 3-season hiking I wouldn't try to size things too large. In most cases you can make yourself warm enough with a polypro shirt, fleece jacket and rain jacket.