PDA

View Full Version : Repair Kit

HumanBN
02-25-2010, 00:00
What do you folks take in your repair kits? I have hand quilting thread, some patches, buttons and needles.

Roche
02-25-2010, 00:04
A little duct tape wrapped around my trekking poles.

HumanBN
02-25-2010, 00:07
What would you use that for? The Duct Tape?

Cool AT Breeze
02-25-2010, 00:20
Everything

HumanBN
02-25-2010, 00:24
doesn't seem like a very reliable fix.

skinewmexico
02-25-2010, 00:33
doesn't seem like a very reliable fix.

Just has to work until you get home. I usually take duct tape, a needle, and some dental floss. And I wish I could remember what the clear, Kenyon patch is called. Great stuff. Used it to patch a big leak on a Boy Scout canoe, looked at the canoe 2 years later, it was still working.

KnittingMelissa
02-25-2010, 02:28
What would you use that for? The Duct Tape?

Everything. Trust me, if you don't need the duct tape along the trail, count yourself grateful and lucky. If you do need it, there it is.

For a repair kit I carry duct tape, a little needle and thread, and some chocolate. The chocolate, it gets used the most. :rolleyes:

Rocket Jones
02-25-2010, 07:22
In addition to the duct tape and needle and thread, I also carry a couple of Zip Ties, a rubber band or two, and a couple of paperclips. Paper clips weigh nothing and when straightened provide a decent length of stiff wire.

Toolshed
02-25-2010, 07:45
- Duct Tape,
- Sewing kit from a hotel from like 20 years ago, never used ( I should see if the thread is still good..)
- 2 big safety pins (I have used these several times if a button goes or a zipper fails)
I like the idea of zip ties. I think I'll add a couple...:sun

Marta
02-25-2010, 08:05
I carry my needle already threaded. The one time I've used it (to repair another hiker's glasses, the hinge screw of which had dropped out and been lost) it was cold and after dark. I realized then that, if I were trying to repair my own glasses, I would not be able to thread the needle. Also, I either carry a spare pair of glasses, or an eyeglass repair kit.

My teeny weeny Swiss Army knife also has scissors, nail file, and screw-driver-tipped blade.

I carry several feet of Spectra cord, good for replacing shoe laces and tying stuff together.

I carry some extra hair ties, which last a lot longer than rubber bands, for bundling tent poles and stakes, closing up plastic bags, etc. I've never had to buy any hair ties...I just find them here and there, in shelters and parking lots, and on sidewalks.

I generally carry enough duct tape that I could do a major repair on my pack, should one be required.

scottdennis
02-25-2010, 09:21
If you can't fix it with duct tape, then it can't be fixed.

I agree, backup eyeballs are handy to have. Usually like to have a sewing kit for repairs. Of course duct tape is a must. I also carry one of the Therma-Rest repair kits just in case.

garlic08
02-25-2010, 09:47
Pretty much ditto all the above. Duct tape, a threaded needle, a couple of safety pins, a razor blade. Add a good dose of brains and a cup each of prevention and common sense. It's amazing what you don't need if you don't get into trouble.

I saw one hiker's signature line that went something like this: All you need in life is duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

veteran
02-25-2010, 10:43
Use for Duct Tape: :D

http://daddytypes.com/archive/duct_tape_baby_mianro.jpg

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 11:15
and some chocolate. The chocolate, it gets used the most. :rolleyes:

You keep chocolate in the repair kit, :confused: Wow that is just strange and weird.

I keep mine in the first aid kit. :) Hey, nothing works better at stopping the crying of a kid with a scraped knee. :sun

Tipi Walter
02-25-2010, 11:24
There are several repair kits I carry:
** The stove kit--with rubber rings and the stove tool(MSR Simmerlite)and some pump oil).
** The Thermarest kit--the usual hot bond stuff along with some ripstop tape and a small McNetts seam sealer tube.
** A needle and floss thread already threaded as mentioned above. This one's important.
** One extra pair of Croc snaps.
** Always take extra boot laces.
** Patches of ripstop tape. This stuff fixes rips in rainpants, closes small tent holes, etc. And usually once it's applied it doesn't come lose.

Never take duct tape. It doesn't stick to something wet and leaves a crappy residue. I like my ripstop tape and patches. Duct tapes does have one important function: To force dayhikers to spend the night out in the woods by taping them to a tree.

IceAge
02-25-2010, 12:07
McNett Tenacious Tape.
Paracord
Zip ties

I will be adding a threaded needle to the kit, thanks for the tip everyone!

Trailbender
02-25-2010, 12:32
I have dental floss wrapped around a mini bic with 2 needles. Burn the ends of the floss to keep it from fraying. Dental floss is the sturdiest thread I have found.

Snowleopard
02-25-2010, 12:50
Add folding scissors to what others have mentioned. I like mine better than the scissors in a swiss army knife.
Small pieces of fabric or webbing/ribbon, piece of cord.
Any small pieces that are required for your gear to work or are easy to lose.

Kerosene
02-25-2010, 12:53
I carry my needle already threaded.
I carry some extra hair ties, which last a lot longer than rubber bandsAfter all these years, I still pick up neat little tidbits like these! Thanks Marta!

I addition to duct tape, thread and needle, I carry about 6" of paper-clip thin bailing wire, a few safety pins, and my 1 oz. multi-tool.

Marta
02-25-2010, 13:30
The information that comes out in a constructive conversation can be simply amazing, eh?

Mags
02-25-2010, 13:49
All you need in life is duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

Oh man..Garlic beat me to it. :)

Duct tape is just the standard tool in almost every outdoor person's tool kit. Be it backpacking, canoeing, climbing, skiing, running, etc.

My shoe blew out ~90 miles from the end of the PCT. My buddy Tim from Rhody joined me for the last stretch of trail from Stehekin to the Border. He was a medic in the army and showed me the wonders of a 'figure 8' bandage..except with duct tape and repairing a shoe.

90 miles and an application of duct tape daily, I made it to the border.

At the border, my shoes were a bit..er, worn:

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4667&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=fde03312c0d87a62df0b0e1d9c4998d0