PDA

View Full Version : 1-800-help-a-dummy

LimpsAlong
02-25-2010, 09:01
Does anyone understand the instructions for the thermarest repair kit? I've got a Prolite 3 and cannot for the life of me make heads or tails of them. Here they are... and ,no, i've not left anything out or copied and pasted wrong.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR MATTRESS REPAIRFrom the three methods below, select the best method of repair based on your style of mattress. Read through all instructions completely before attempting a repair.
What You Will Need to Repair Your Therm-a-Rest® Mattress
 A Therm-a-Rest Mattress Repair Kit
 A way to mark the leak (marker or tape)
 Scissors (optional for trimming cover patches)
Locating Leaks If the leak is not obvious, inflate the mattress as firmly as possible by mouth. Folding the mattress in half to increase the air pressure, immerse the mattress in water or rub soapy water on the surface. Small, escaping bubbles will indicate the puncture. Rinse area of all soap before proceeding.
Repairing Your Mattress
1. Clean repair area. Lay your mattress on a flat surface with valve open. Using an included alcohol swab, thoroughly clean a generous area around the repair. Allow to dry completely.
2. Follow these instructions for repairing NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses with smooth urethane surfaces:
a. Remove release paper from one self-adhesive cover patch.
b. With the sticky side of the patch facing down, center over the hole and gently press the center with your thumb. Using your thumb, press the patch down firmly, from the center outward, until the entire patch is stuck to the fabric. If the patch wrinkles, gently pull it up and push back down. Air bubbles can be purged by working towards the edge (away from you) with back of fingernail.
c. Using the palm of your hand firmly push on the patch until it is evenly adhered.
3. Follow these instructions for all other Therm-a-Rest mattresses with textured surfaces except LuxuryCamp™ and LuxuryMap™ mattresses:
a. Cut a square area around one glue dot with both sides of the protective film still attached.
b. Peel the white side of the film away from the glue dot. Center the Glue Dot over the repair area with the clear side of the film up and the Glue Dot down.
c. Pushing on the clear film, use your thumb to push the Glue Dot into the repair area as firmly as you can. (The Glue Dots are extremely sticky. Try not to touch them directly.) If the repair area is larger than one Glue Dot, overlap as many Glue Dots as needed to fill the repair area.
d. After thoroughly working the Glue Dot into the repair, slowly remove the release film, trying not to peel up the Glue Dot.
e. Continue to steps (A) through (C) for NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses.
4. Follow these instructions for LuxuryCamp™ and LuxuryMap™ mattresses:
a. Boil approximately 500ml of water and add HotBond pouch, allowing it to heat for approximately three minutes. (In the unlikely event that the packet leaks into your pan, HotBond is designed to turn into a harmless and rubbery mass that can easily be removed. There are no solvents or harmful by-products.)
b. Select a patch, ensuring that it will cover the hole and extend beyond it by at least .5 in. (1.25 cm) in all directions.
c. Carefully remove HotBond from boiling water with a spoon and allow to cool for a few seconds before handling it.
NOTE: HotBond will cool and harden quickly once removed from hot water. You have about one minute to apply it at 20°F (-6°C), less time in cooler temperatures.
d. Tear pouch and apply a drop of HotBond directly on the puncture or edge of a tear. Using the supplied applicator (or similar item) thoroughly work the HotBond into the fabric, completely covering and sealing any holes. Your goal is to achieve a thin, even layer of HotBond that allows the cover patch to extend at least 1/4 in. (1-2cm) beyond it. For larger holes, add more HotBond as necessary. Some may require two pouches. Discard any remaining HotBond as it cannot be reused.
e. Peel away backing from patch, center over the repair and gently lay over repair area, extending beyond the HotBond by at least 1/4 in.
f. Press patch firmly with palm of hand to assure the best adhesion.
g. After resting undisturbed for approximately 10 minutes, your mattress is ready to use.

GGS2
02-25-2010, 09:09
Seems clear to me. What part are you having difficulty with?

Maddog
02-25-2010, 09:14
seem like a PITA, but self-explantory. good luck!:D

LimpsAlong
02-25-2010, 11:59
Seems clear to me. What part are you having difficulty with?

This part...e. Continue to steps (A) through (C) for NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses.
4. Follow these instructions for LuxuryCamp™ and LuxuryMap™ mattresses:
a. Boil approximately 500ml of water and add HotBond pouch, allowing it to heat for approximately three minutes. (In the unlikely event that the packet leaks into your pan, HotBond is designed to turn into a harmless and rubbery mass that can easily be removed. There are no solvents or harmful by-products.)
b. Select a patch, ensuring that it will cover the hole and extend beyond it by at least .5 in. (1.25 cm) in all directions.
c. Carefully remove HotBond from boiling water with a spoon and allow to cool for a few seconds before handling it.
NOTE: HotBond will cool and harden quickly once removed from hot water. You have about one minute to apply it at 20°F (-6°C), less time in cooler temperatures.

Going to step "C" does not seem to do much good. And is the Prolite 3 considered a "Trail" model?

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 12:22
The instructions are not ordered optimally...but you problem is you are trying to follow the wrong (a) - (c)

Continue to steps (A) through (C) for NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses

2. Follow these instructions for repairing NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses with smooth urethane surfaces:
b. With the sticky side of the patch facing down, center over the hole and gently press the center with your thumb. Using your thumb, press the patch down firmly, from the center outward, until the entire patch is stuck to the fabric. If the patch wrinkles, gently pull it up and push back down. Air bubbles can be purged by working towards the edge (away from you) with back of fingernail.
c. Using the palm of your hand firmly push on the patch until it is evenly adhered.

Tipi Walter
02-25-2010, 12:26
It also should be remembered that Thermarest has had several repair kits over the years, one preceeding the Hot Bond kit and now a new Fast And Light Repair Kit for the NeoAirs, etc. It is a complicated mess as some pinholes can be fixed with just a dab of McNetts while others require the Hot Bond, but of course the NeoAirs require a whole different procedure/kit. Good luck.

LimpsAlong
02-25-2010, 12:40
The instructions are not ordered optimally...but you problem is you are trying to follow the wrong (a) - (c)

Continue to steps (A) through (C) for NeoAir™ and Trail™ mattresses

So, according to the instructions I need only use the self-adhesive cover patch on my Prolite 3, correct?
Thanks for your time.

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 12:48
So, according to the instructions I need only use the self-adhesive cover patch on my Prolite 3, correct?
Thanks for your time.

Here is how I read the instruction.....

If you own a NeoAir™ or Trail™ mattresses you need to follow steps 1 & 2 (a) - (c)

If you own a LuxuryCamp™ or LuxuryMap™ you need to follow steps 1 & 4(a) - (e)

If you own any other matress you need to follow steps 1, 3(a) -(e) then steps 2(a) - (c)

I figure "Prolite 3" falls into the any "other" group. But if you think it is a "trail" then yeah.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2010, 12:49
Clean the area where the hole is so there's no loose dirt.
Take the paper off the back of the patch.
Stick the patch over the hole.
Press it down with your palm.

How in the world did you get a hole in it in the first place?

LimpsAlong
02-25-2010, 13:17
Clean the area where the hole is so there's no loose dirt.
Take the paper off the back of the patch.
Stick the patch over the hole.
Press it down with your palm.

How in the world did you get a hole in it in the first place?
Now, THOSE are instructions I understand!
No hole yet. I just wanted to know how to use the kit before my next hike.
Yhanks

Ox97GaMe
02-25-2010, 15:21
Ive used both the self adhesive and the heat/glue patches on my Thermarest.

I would start with the easier, self adhesive patchfirst. That usually works for holes that are away away from the seams of the thermarest. If that doesnt work, then use a larger patch over the top and use the heat/glue method.

If the hole is actually on the seam, then I have found that the heat/glue patches work much better. It is difficult (at least for me) to get the self adhesive patch to seal properly along the seam that is created when you fold the patch over.

Dogwood
02-25-2010, 20:15
You want to fix small holes in a ProLite 3? I got 20 holes in mine I've fixed several ways. Here's the easiest and cheapest I've found that works for me, but it also means you need to let the pad sit overnight without using it.

Blow up. Locate hole(s). Easy to do in a stream or bathtub. Make mark. Apply dab of SeamSeal. Save Seam Seal for someething else that will eventually need to be fixed. Just like fixing a bicycle tire. The hot wax kits are good if you have one, can find one, are willing to pay for one, are able to heat the adhesive, and want to use your pad in short order. The Seam Seal is easier to find, easier to use, and creates a durable patch. HINT: keep your inflatable sleeping pad from blowing into a grove of Joshua Tres.

LimpsAlong
02-26-2010, 15:19
Here is my question and the answer from Cascade Designs....

I own a Prolite 3 mattress and recently purchased a Thermarest repair kit. The instructions are copied below.....PLEASE tell me what procedure I use to repair a hole in my mattress. Glue dots, patch, hot bond??? I know I'm a little slow but surely patching a mattress would be within my capabilities. I just can't make heads or tails of these instructions.

Thanks,

Hi Monte,

Thanks for contacting Cascade Designs, Inc. I apologize for the instructions, I know they’re confusing. With your mattress you can use any of those methods. I would say use the adhesive patch as it’s probably the easiest and most effective. For extra adhesion you can use it with the Hot Bond. Let me know if you have any other questions and have a great day!

Amber Wright
Consumer Services Rep
Cascade Designs, Inc.
4225 2nd Ave S.|Seattle, WA 98134
1.800.531.9531 ext. 1527
MSR|Thermarest|Sealline|Platypus