PDA

View Full Version : Taking my coat?

Trailbender
02-25-2010, 09:17
I have a warm coat I wear in the wintertime, but it weighs a few pounds. Since I am starting my thru in early March, I am considering bringing it along, then shipping it home later.

wudhipy
02-25-2010, 09:25
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'm leaving March the 7th and WILL be taking my winter parka. Get to the shelter, put on dry clothes, and bundle up. Hope to see ya on the trail.
;)
wudhipy

scottdennis
02-25-2010, 09:32
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'm leaving March the 7th and WILL be taking my winter parka. Get to the shelter, put on dry clothes, and bundle up. Hope to see ya on the trail.
;)
wudhipy

That's a great line and a good philosophy to live by!

Rockhound
02-25-2010, 09:57
I have a warm coat I wear in the wintertime, but it weighs a few pounds. Since I am starting my thru in early March, I am considering bringing it along, then shipping it home later.
I'm not a gram weenie by any means but I'm sure there are alternatives out there that weigh a lot less and will keep you just as warm.

mister krabs
02-25-2010, 09:57
I'd say it depends on the coat. I prefer down for light weight and almost as importantly for compressability. Here's a couple of cheap down jackets (http://www.landsend.com/ix/overstock-liquidations/Men/Outerwear/Jackets-Coats/Down-Insulated/index.html?seq=1~2~3~4~5&catNumbers=1~43~44~50&visible=1~1~1~1~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&pageSize=12&tab=8), I have the snowpack, it's less than a pound.

garlic08
02-25-2010, 10:03
Depends on your style. You will probably never need to wear a parka while hiking--it'll be way too warm most of the time. When you camp, you will have major insulation in your sleeping bag (hopefully?) to keep you comfortable. So you could conceivable be fine without a several pound jacket that takes up major pack space. But if you do want to sit around outside at night and that's the way you want to do it, then do it.

Or if you doubt your sleeping bag's insulation or your ability to keep it dry, it might be good to have a back-up. My back-up was an 8-oz down vest, but it was expensive.

Roche
02-25-2010, 10:32
I'd say it depends on the coat. I prefer down for light weight and almost as importantly for compressability. Here's a couple of cheap down jackets (http://www.landsend.com/ix/overstock-liquidations/Men/Outerwear/Jackets-Coats/Down-Insulated/index.html?seq=1~2~3~4~5&catNumbers=1~43~44~50&visible=1~1~1~1~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&pageSize=12&tab=8), I have the snowpack, it's less than a pound.Mr Krabs Thanks for the info, just ordered a snowpack, it appears to balance the cost/weight/how often will I use the damn thing continuum.

mister krabs
02-25-2010, 10:42
A down vest is a good option too. Here are 20$ (http://www.landsend.com/pp/DownVest~115635_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CCR&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000053&origin=index)and 40$ (http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowRollerDownVest~206735_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PZQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000053&origin=index) inexpensive examples. They're not the lightest out there, but then again nothing approaches them in cost. I have the 20$ one and it's probably one of the best 20's I've spent. Sitting around camp it's good to freezing with a warm base and a shell. I'd bet the 40$ one is quite a bit warmer as it's much thicker.

mister krabs
02-25-2010, 10:51
Mr Krabs Thanks for the info, just ordered a snowpack, it appears to balance the cost/weight/how often will I use the damn thing continuum.

I think you'll probably blow the curve on the how often you wear it factor. I've been wearing mine almost daily since I got it because of how cheap it was. I don't feel like I have to treat it like gold. I can tell you for sure I wouldn't be wearing a $200+ patagonia down sweater to go to the grocery store.

I also like the lack of visible branding on the Lands End gear. I'm not keen on being a walking billboard.

Trailbender
02-25-2010, 11:23
Looks like that snowpack jacket could replace both my zip up fleece and a coat. I carry the fleece year round, and a coat only when needed. Thanks for the info, I am gonna order one.

GeneralLee10
02-25-2010, 11:29
My sleeping bag is my coat, jacket, vest other than my rain coat.

Tipi Walter
02-25-2010, 11:32
When you say jacket you're just not giving me enough information. An Army field jacket? A full length Air Force style wool jacket? A heavy Eddie Bauer style winter jacket? A North Face Nupste? A denim jacket? A black leather motorcycle jacket? A straight jacket?

Early March is winter, and it'll be cold up on the ridges well into late April. Like garlic08 said, it all depends on how much time you spend in camp and how much freedom you want to have so you won't have to immediately take refuge in your bag just to stay warm.

My winter trips have really improved since I upgraded to a down parka and then took the plunge to down booties and even a pair of WM down pants. Love 'em. Need 'em. Want 'em. Got 'em. Use 'em. When you get caught in a deep snow blizzard and have to sit out 4 zero days in the tent, it's dang nice to have the overkill gear. Actually, it makes all the difference.

Trailbender
02-25-2010, 14:46
When you say jacket you're just not giving me enough information. An Army field jacket? A full length Air Force style wool jacket? A heavy Eddie Bauer style winter jacket? A North Face Nupste? A denim jacket? A black leather motorcycle jacket? A straight jacket?

Early March is winter, and it'll be cold up on the ridges well into late April. Like garlic08 said, it all depends on how much time you spend in camp and how much freedom you want to have so you won't have to immediately take refuge in your bag just to stay warm.

My winter trips have really improved since I upgraded to a down parka and then took the plunge to down booties and even a pair of WM down pants. Love 'em. Need 'em. Want 'em. Got 'em. Use 'em. When you get caught in a deep snow blizzard and have to sit out 4 zero days in the tent, it's dang nice to have the overkill gear. Actually, it makes all the difference.

Yeah, I don't want to have to jump in the bag as soon as I get to camp. The listing for that jacket said it was good down to 10 degrees. That is good enough for what I need. I can deal with being a little cold in camp, but I don't want to feel like I have to get in my bag immediately.

mister krabs
02-25-2010, 15:33
Yeah, I don't want to have to jump in the bag as soon as I get to camp. The listing for that jacket said it was good down to 10 degrees. That is good enough for what I need. I can deal with being a little cold in camp, but I don't want to feel like I have to get in my bag immediately.

Land's End temp guides are more than a bit optimistic. I think they're for moderate activity like brisk walking without a pack rather than just sitting around. After wearing it for a couple of months, I'd say that for sitting around camp it's more like mid 20's as part of a system including good base layers top and bottom, a fleece sweater, a shell, long pants, good gloves, and a balaclava.

It should meet your criteria of being mostly warm enough to hang out in the evening on sub-freezing nights. It is not up to Tipi's requirements of keeping you warm when snowbound for days. Sit on your porch for a few hours at 20 and see how you like it.

verber
02-25-2010, 16:45
As others have said... when you are moving, it is highly unlikely you will need more than a 100wt fleece and some sort of wind shell. If you do a quick transition from hiking to being under your sleeping bag / quilt you could most likely do without. I know several people who did. Like others, I have typically brought a high loft vest or jacket so I don't have to dive under my quilt at night as well as having so extra insulation on the nights the temp drops below what my quilt can do on it's own (otherwise it's a fluffy pillow).

+1 to landsend providing a good value. From a warmth/weight perspective there are down jackets made by montbell, phd, western mountaineering that are better... but you PAID for that.

The best value is the US Army's M-65 Field clothing liners warm under a rain or wind shell. You can often find them for $10-20 at surplus stores.

--Mark

grayfox
02-25-2010, 17:04
I would like to second the opinion that Land's End is a bit temp optimistic. But I also think that the Snowpack is a really nice jacket for the money. Keeping an eye on the overstocks page might net a really good deal as summer approaches.

I bought a second Snowpack, a size smaller to fit over just a tee shirt on cool summer nights. It will pack a lot smaller than my 300 wt fleece which it will replace. I think that the trade off is that the fleece is warm even if damp and the Snowpack is a bit more wind resistant.

I shoveled my driveway wearing a wool base layer, a light down vest with a zipper, the Snowpack, and a paclite rain jacket. It was mid twenties and windy and I had to shed layers down to just the wool and the Snowpack--but I was working.

I would not want to get the Snowpack wet from outside or inside.

The heavier Snow Roller jacket is nice, I tried one on at the store. But if you need that much warmth you probably need it to have a hood. But still well made and a good deal.

I think I will be comfortable in camp wearing my synthetic base/sleep layer and my Smowpack as I sip tea and update my journal. When it starts to get damp out I'll tuck myself in for the night.

leaftye
02-25-2010, 17:30
Inexpensive, warm, lightweight. Great deal if they have one your size.

http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-435-new-balance-fugu-down-jacket.aspx

Doctari
02-25-2010, 21:40
Bear in mind that most weather / temp reports are from the flat lands & not the mountains. So you should be prepared for cooler / wetter weather up on the mountains.

I don't carry a coat, but I have insulation to get me EASILY down to the mid to low 20s: Whiteblaze tee, Underarmor long sleeve (Poly) tee, Patagonia long sleeve (Poly) tee, & my goretex rain coat will do the job. If I add my sleep tee & put my panty hose (MY "long johns"), knit sleep hat & my UL gloves, I can easily get to the teens. This list will keep ME warm, & in reality, while I am hiking, (Unless it is raining) I only wear the WB tee, Stillwater kilt, boots & socks to the 20s. YMMV!

YOU know what YOU can stand, if my list made you shiver, I strongly recommend you bring clothing / coat till you don't think you will "Freeze to death".

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2010, 21:58
Wow Mister Crabs... Dead on posting! I am almost speechless......

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2010, 23:43
I can tell you for sure I wouldn't be wearing a $200+ patagonia down sweater to go to the grocery store.

I also like the lack of visible branding on the Lands End gear. I'm not keen on being a walking billboard.

Patagonia down sweater was the best clothing purchase I ever made and I have literally not worn another winter coat around town since I got it in October 2007 because it is so comfortable. Every time I put on another coat it feels so heavy I just take it off and hang it back up. I don't even hang up the down sweater, it stays in a chair.

I agree with you on the branding and the first thing I did after buying it was remove the tag with a seam ripper.

The only damage to it with all the use has been a couple of tiny snags from some rose thorns which had the benefit of reassuring me how durable it is. Wouldn't want to wear it too close to a campfire, though. Otherwise it hasn't shown any signs of wear. I have cleaned the collar, wrists, and around the pockets with a wet cloth but will probably wash it this spring.

The Land's End or LL Bean knock-offs look just as nice and for the sale price on the Land's End I even considered getting one in another color.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2010, 23:46
Ooops: as far as the temperature, I can sit in moderate wind in mid-20 weather after walking for 20 minutes in it wearing nothing but a long sleeve wicking tee shirt under it, but I put on my wool cap when resting.

DawnTreader
02-26-2010, 01:07
I'm not a gram weenie by any means but I'm sure there are alternatives out there that weigh a lot less and will keep you just as warm.
Bring the coat. It may or may not be worth it for this person to purchase something like that when he/she already has a working cold weather layer.. Niche lightweight Coats are super expensive. U may want to save your cash for beer.

Bronk
02-26-2010, 05:31
I wouldn't carry a heavy coat on any hiking trip...layers are much better. Down below 20 degrees I have always been comfortable with just a rain jacket, two layers of fleece and a tshirt.

Egads
02-26-2010, 06:57
I wouldn't ever bring a coat weighing a "Few Pounds" unless I was base camping in AK

mister krabs
02-26-2010, 10:37
Doctari's list makes me shiver just looking at it! I've been in the south too long :D

Following this up, I'll be testing my clothing insulation system this weekend. I'm headed out with my 8 year old son, Sprout, this afternoon. We'll spend tonight camped next to the car giving us a safe and easy bailout if we need it. Then if all goes well, we'll head up the trail, and camp in the mid to late afternoon. Turn around Sunday morning and come back.
Camp wear for me will be a smartwool base, a mid weight wool sweater, my snowpack and a shell. (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74200_175010000_175000000_175010000_175-10-0) Bottom will be nylon boxer briefs, poly base, hiking pants with 100 wt fleece pants backup. Army liner gloves and a 200wt fleece balaclava. Sprout will be wearing a poly base, 100 wt fleece, 300 wt fleece jacket (http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck300Jacket~206788_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PZQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000045&origin=index), the 20$ down vest and a shell. Bottom will be poly base, nylon pants with 100wt fleece pants for backup. Mittens, fleece neck gaiter and hat round it out.

It's forcast to be in the high teens overnight and it's Sprout's first experience with that kind of weather. Wish us luck!

JustaTouron
02-26-2010, 10:44
Land's End temp guides are more than a bit optimistic.

I have insulation to get me EASILY down to the mid to low 20s: Whiteblaze tee, Underarmor long sleeve (Poly) tee, Patagonia long sleeve (Poly) tee, & my goretex rain coat will do the job. If I add my sleep tee & put my panty hose (MY "long johns"), knit sleep hat & my UL gloves, I can easily get to the teens. This list will keep ME warm, & in reality, while I am hiking, (Unless it is raining) I only wear the WB tee, Stillwater kilt, boots & socks to the 20s. YMMV!

Land's End uses Doctari for testing its winter gear and rating it.

mister krabs
02-26-2010, 12:10
Bring the coat. It may or may not be worth it for this person to purchase something like that when he/she already has a working cold weather layer.. Niche lightweight Coats are super expensive. U may want to save your cash for beer.

You missed the not super expensive 60$ niche lightweight down jacket further up the thread. :)

But if he feels like carrying an extra couple of lbs, beer is a worthy place to put his funds.

DawnTreader
02-26-2010, 13:25
ooooooo.. gonna have to check that out mister krabs..

mister krabs
02-26-2010, 14:14
Well, it looks like the snowpack jacket might be gone for the season, it's no longer on the lands end site.

Kerosene
02-26-2010, 17:37
29 posts and no one has mentioned that the level of insulation you need after you've been outdoors for 3-4 days is typically a lot less than you need when your body is acclimated to a 70-degree house. I find that I'm comfortable wearing much less, assuming of course that the temperature isn't varying by 70 degrees in any one day.

Of course, exactly how much you need to be comfortable sitting around camp is highly individualized. I feel quite comfortable walking in shorts and T-shirt down to 45F (assuming minimal wind), and then at camp changing into dry long underwear, long-sleeve shirt, 100 weight fleece, long pants, and rain jacket/pants down to freezing. With the temp expected to drop below freezing I might add a down sweater (Montbell UL Inner) and fleece or down pants. The biggest challenge tends to be my feet, which are always cold anyway. Down booties are a luxury, but I usually make do with a pair of PossumDown Socks and even put a plastic baggie over my feet.

Symbol
03-07-2010, 18:57
REI has the Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL Jacket on sale for $119. (reg $170)
http://www.rei.com/product/785457

average weight is 15 oz and it compresses small.

Worth looking at if you are considering a jacket.

valkyrie
03-31-2010, 04:14
A down vest is a good option too. Here are 20$ (http://www.landsend.com/pp/DownVest~115635_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CCR&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000053&origin=index)and 40$ (http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowRollerDownVest~206735_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PZQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000053&origin=index) inexpensive examples. They're not the lightest out there, but then again nothing approaches them in cost. I have the 20$ one and it's probably one of the best 20's I've spent. Sitting around camp it's good to freezing with a warm base and a shell. I'd bet the 40$ one is quite a bit warmer as it's much thicker.

Right now they have discontinued colors on sale for $15 http://www.landsend.com/pp/DownVest~115635_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CCR&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000053&origin=index