PDA

View Full Version : What gear am i missing.

Saffirre8
02-25-2010, 09:43
I have been hiking for a while now, mostly out n backs. My 1st backpacking trip is in May. I have a list of all my gear i have so far.
Here is a list, what do you think i still might need for my 4 day hike???
Granted i dont have cloths or my food on here, i know i need that :eek:
I just need to know what important things i might be missing or not remembering. I dont want to be in the middle of the woods and be like *****, i cant belive i forgot that....lol
Thanks for your help and HAPPY TRAILS

Tent
Sleeping bag 15 degree
Thermarest
Pack cover for rain
Rain gear (jacket n pants)
Head lamps n flash lights
Stove n 2 canisters of fuel
Water filter
Lots of snacks
Engery drinks…lol
Trekking poles
Pot to cook
fork and spoons
Knive

scottdennis
02-25-2010, 09:51
I would add first aid, a map & compass (never know), and some emergency stuff (whistle, signal mirror, etc.). I'm a firm believer in having the 10 Essentials as a start.

Rockhound
02-25-2010, 10:07
How about a water bottle(s), a handbook, a watch, a lighter, bandanas, moleskin/first aid, nylon twine, duct tape, money/debit or credit card, cell phone, pens/notepad, spare batteries for headlamp, gloves(depending on start date), campshoes(if you so desire, and how about a backpack to put all this crap in?

cmsart87
02-25-2010, 10:18
I would bring a camera

Pokey2006
02-25-2010, 10:29
Toilet paper/wet wipes, ziplock for packing out trash, change of clothes for in camp/sleeping, rope for bear-bagging, platypus or other container for collecting water for use in camp.

Wags
02-25-2010, 10:34
head lamps and flashlights? i bring 1 headlamp
energy drinks? i collect water as i go and eat food for energy. liquids are heavy
2 canisters of fuel? unless you heat a LOT of water, you probably don't need both
silverware... likely only need the spoon

my initial thoughts

max patch
02-25-2010, 10:34
I don't use a canister stove but I can't believe you'd need 2 canisters of fuel for a 4 day hike. Also, a spoon is all I needed for eating.

I assume your knife is a swiss army or similar. No need for a separate eating knife.

Headlamp is all you need. Leave the flashlight behind.

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 10:35
insect repellent or afterbite (your choice, but you will need one of them)

Saffirre8
02-25-2010, 10:39
How about a water bottle(s), a handbook, a watch, a lighter, bandanas, moleskin/first aid, nylon twine, duct tape, money/debit or credit card, cell phone, pens/notepad, spare batteries for headlamp, gloves(depending on start date), campshoes(if you so desire, and how about a backpack to put all this crap in?

i have all of this also, except twine and the whistle in my 1st AID kit, of course i have maps. These are small things that you always remember. Of course i would take a camera and insect replent. i am talking about things that you dont normally think of that i might need.

Roche
02-25-2010, 11:14
If you can, you might try a local overnight trip to see what you forgot and need. The more you do this, the less you carry. Best to have a little extra than a little less on the first trip. Be reasonable with your distance. I learned so much after my first few outings. Enjoy your trip.

10-K
02-25-2010, 11:16
Don't forget your toothbrush.

Toolshed
02-25-2010, 11:22
Water BottleS?

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 11:25
i have all of this also, except twine and the whistle in my 1st AID kit, of course i have maps. These are small things that you always remember. Of course i would take a camera and insect replent. i am talking about things that you dont normally think of that i might need.

Hard to know what you are thinking or not thinking, if it ain't on the list.

My advice is to make a complete list (not for us, but for yourself) that way you don't forget anything.

You can also take it one step further and weigh everything and orgainize it into catergories.

Then scruitize the stuff to see if anything is reduent.

For example is really worth the weight of having both a flash light and head lamp. BTW it might be. One to hang on the outside of the tent and one to bring with you for night time bathroom breaks.

As for the whisle, it is almost useless to keep it IN your first aid kit. It should hang around your neck or be in an easy to reach (clothing)pocket at all times. If you trip and fall on a bathroom break or when away from the pack you need it to signal others for help.

kanga
02-25-2010, 11:44
I have been hiking for a while now, mostly out n backs. My 1st backpacking trip is in May. I have a list of all my gear i have so far.
Here is a list, what do you think i still might need for my 4 day hike???
Granted i dont have cloths or my food on here, i know i need that :eek:
I just need to know what important things i might be missing or not remembering. I dont want to be in the middle of the woods and be like *****, i cant belive i forgot that....lol
Thanks for your help and HAPPY TRAILS

Tent
Sleeping bag 15 degree
Thermarest
Pack cover for rain
Rain gear (jacket n pants)
Head lamps n flash lights
Stove n 2 canisters of fuel
Water filter
Lots of snacks
Engery drinks…lol
Trekking poles
Pot to cook
fork and spoons
Knive

warm clothes/insulation
only take one head lamp
instead of energy drinks, maybe try nuun
take one fork and one knife
get a little bit of glo cord, maybe 30 ft. - many many uses
water bottles/bladder
ipod?
bandana/wash rag
warm hat/gloves
camp shoes?

tammons
02-25-2010, 12:24
One of my list from a while back.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdEhVZGNMdTdYSlhIN2VCTF8zMHpRZ kE&hl=en

mykl
02-25-2010, 14:37
Water purifier
towel
lighter/matches
booze....perhaps.

Bags4266
02-25-2010, 14:46
I would suggest downloading one of many spreadsheets online. You can put all your gear on it, weigh each piece, catagorize it. Then you will know for every trip what your pack weighs and what your to bring.

JustaTouron
02-25-2010, 14:51
Why a 15 degree bag for Maryland in May?

XCskiNYC
02-25-2010, 15:38
These are the items from my packing list that are not on your list (add on any personal medication needed):

15-feet parachute cord (inexpensive lightweight cord)

stuff sacks (plastic shopping bags, garbage bag)

camp pillow

soda bottles to hold water (20 oz, plus one-liter)

orange plastic trowel (inner sleeve of main pack compartment)

pack axe w/holster

msr 4-liter water bladder

msr water bladder shower attachment

safety pins

sewing kit

razor knife

DEET

toothbrush

toothpaste

dental floss in small plastic bottle

razor

loperamide hydrochloride

aspirin/ibuprofen/aleve

pill bottle with pills

band aids

baby powder

camping mirror (plastic)

toilet paper (in plastic zip-lock bag)

bandana

wool baseball hat

fleece hat

fleece gloves

bleach for water, in plastic bottle in zip-seal baggie

eyedropper to measure bleach, in same plastic zip-seal baggie

matches in zip-lock bag

lighter

backup lighter

travel towel

20-oz soda bottle w/small amount liquid dish soap/duct tape wrapped around

scrunge (blue stuff sack)

Swiss Army Knike (side compartment next to tp, razor knife)

Notebook (contains trail data for section hike); in clear plastic bag

set of printed-out ALDHA Companion pages in a zip-lock

Relevant AT Conference Map, Map 3/Map 4

AT Guidebook

cell phone

cell phone charger (probably leave if trip under one week)

extra cell-phone battery, charged

clip on visor LED button-cell light

radio

earphones (blue stuff sack)

ample supply of AA/AAA batteries AA (x10), AAA (12)

GPS (right side pocket)

compass (waist-belt compartment)

book or newspaper (optional)

travel wallet with i.d./cash

two or three pens/pencils (stashed in various places)

XCskiNYC
02-25-2010, 15:50
I would suggest downloading one of many spreadsheets online. You can put all your gear on it, weigh each piece, catagorize it. Then you will know for every trip what your pack weighs and what your to bring.

Could you suggest a good one? I don't have Excel. I do have the MS Works database or I could download a free one such as the free office suite from Google.

leaftye
02-25-2010, 15:52
Hiking partner?

If it's your first, your partner should know and be prepared to look over your pack and/or let you borrow some of his stuff.

Bags4266
02-25-2010, 16:31
http://www.backpacking.net/featured3.html

This is the one I use.