PDA

View Full Version : Calling All ULA Circuit Owners

GeneralLee10
02-25-2010, 10:04
I have a small issue here, maybe some of you know the remedy for it. If you look inside your pack down at the bottom of the Carbon hoop. Okay, now do you feel the hard webbing that was used to hold the Carbon Hoop in place? It will rip right through your compactor bag (I use for a Liner) trust me. Have any of you had this happen? if so what did you do to address the issue. I am not sure what would really work and last. I could use duck tape but think that would not be suffice. What are you thoughts on this?

Thank you:)

Don H
02-25-2010, 12:40
Yea, I see that. I just bought some trash compactor bags too. Looks like it could be a problem with any type of bag or liner. Email ULA, I'm sure they'll be helpful.

GeneralLee10
02-25-2010, 13:02
I gave them a call about it a few weeks ago. He was very helpful, said try and use duct tape (not going to work). I am thinking now of just trashing the suspension hoop. Then cutting that part of the pack off, how much do you think that hoop works? Man, I am kinda bummed:(, I really don't want to cut my pack. No matter what you were to use it will put a hole in it, after a whole day of hiking think about it.

I will call them again today and see if there is anything I can other than the tape. It is such a nice made pack I would hate to not use it just cause of that.

Berserker
02-25-2010, 13:08
Hmmm...I'll have to check it out when I get home...never noticed it. I have used my Circuit (2009 version bought late last year) on 3 weekend trips (11 days of total hiking), and haven't had a problem yet. I line my pack with a trash compactor bag, then stuff my sleeping bag in the bottom (loose...not in it's stuff sack), with all the other stuff I want inside the liner on top. I haven't had the trash compactor bag get damaged from the pack yet, which is why I guess I never noticed it. Maybe putting the sleeping bag in loose keeps the pressure off that spot...I don't know.

GeneralLee10
02-25-2010, 13:26
Hmmm...I'll have to check it out when I get home...never noticed it. I have used my Circuit (2009 version bought late last year) on 3 weekend trips (11 days of total hiking), and haven't had a problem yet. I line my pack with a trash compactor bag, then stuff my sleeping bag in the bottom (loose...not in it's stuff sack), with all the other stuff I want inside the liner on top. I haven't had the trash compactor bag get damaged from the pack yet, which is why I guess I never noticed it. Maybe putting the sleeping bag in loose keeps the pressure off that spot...I don't know.

I think your correct on the loosely packed sleeping bag. I don't pack mine that way, to me I want a dry sleeping bag. Not that yours gets wet but a possibility it will get wet in just one bag(if that is how you pack it).

"Do not remove the supension hoop"

I had no intent what so ever to start any bad rumors about ULA with this thread. Just had a simple question, I got my answer.:D:)

skinewmexico
02-25-2010, 14:15
Don't react until you have a problem. Try the duct tape, and see if it works. I've never had a liner bag tear in mine, but I do put my sleeping bag loose in the bottom.

ARambler
02-25-2010, 14:26
With the Catalyst, I have been using a pack cover, light waterproof sacks, AND a compactor bag. I have been trying to drop the compactor bag. It sounds like I should get the Circuit. Which I'm considering anyway.

Rambler

skinewmexico
02-25-2010, 14:28
Had to go empty my pack to see this. Pulled the liner out, no problem, but I see the tab. Only one of mine is sticking out, but I switch out packs just by pulling the liner with all my junk out and putting it in another, and haven't had a problem yet. If it gets to be a problem, I'll duct tape it or use silnet to glue it down, or just hand stitch it down. Is your liner too small and stretched tight? Maybe that makes it tear easier.

Johnny Thunder
02-25-2010, 14:28
I agree...packed loose in a compator bag I've never had my sleeping bag put that much pressure on the suspension system as to tear the liner. Nor have I ever had my bag get wet from rain. If you use a pack cover that is slightly larger than your pack the water will pool lower than your pack/liner combo.

Chomp09
02-25-2010, 20:37
I used a compactor bag in my Circuit for the entire duration of our recent thru with no issues. For what it's worth my sleeping bag was compressed in a sack and stuffed down into the bottom of the pack.

Absolutely the BEST pack I could have asked for, hands down!

skinewmexico
02-25-2010, 22:06
I had another idea. Take out the hoop, and turn your pack inside out. Then you can see if you need to trim off a sharp edge, or glue it out of the way. Pretty easy fix.

GeneralLee10
02-25-2010, 22:52
That is a good idea, I get kinda stupid at times and don't think out side the box. I came up with a fix, just can't seem to load my pack with my sleeping bag non compressed. How do you fit all your gear in the pack with the bag not in a stuff sack of some sort? I tried it and do not have enough room for the rest of my gear. Unless I load it up past my shoulders, something I'd rather not do.

skinewmexico
02-26-2010, 00:06
I just push it down. Nothing wrong with using the extension collar either.

thelowend
02-26-2010, 02:13
If I understand your problem correctly, a solution might be taking a small square of high density foam(however much needed to cover the part ripping your compactor bag) and duct taping it over the poking object. If this is no help, never mind me.

Miner
02-27-2010, 17:11
I have a small issue here, maybe some of you know the remedy for it. If you look inside your pack down at the bottom of the Carbon hoop. Okay, now do you feel the hard webbing that was used to hold the Carbon Hoop in place? It will rip right through your compactor bag (I use for a Liner) trust me. Have any of you had this happen? if so what did you do to address the issue. I am not sure what would really work and last. I could use duck tape but think that would not be suffice. What are you thoughts on this?

Thank you:)
No, I hadn't had that problem with my 2009 Circuit (which should be the same as the 2010 models). I used a trash compactor bag as a liner when rain/snow looked like a possibility. In better weather, I just stuffed my sleeping bag into it and stuffed it in the bottom of my pack and piled everything else on top of it. I never had a hole form on the PCT caused by the pack in any way.

rasudduth
02-27-2010, 19:46
Ditto to what Miner said.