PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions (1 about sleep wear; 1 about Aqua Mira)

EvKil
02-25-2010, 14:17
1. I was wondering what people typically sleep in on the AT in the colder months? Thermal underwear or just dry gear that you'll be wearing the next day, etc.?

2. Never used Aqua Mira before so I'm wondering without a filter what is your system? That is, do you filter your water through a bandana and then add Aqua Mia? Do you have a designated dirty bag/jug that you don't drink from, but just use to obtain water or do you just add AM to any water source? Overall just want to know what your methodology is in using Aqua Mira.

mtnkngxt
02-25-2010, 14:28
1. I try to sleep in my thermals bottoms and whatever top layers I need. If it is that cold I'm going to want my legs warm the next day, so I'll wear the same bottom thermals the next day. I also try to keep whatever clothes I'm going to wear the next day in my hammock with me to help keep them from freezing. Cold boots are usually just part of winter hiking.

2. By add to the water source I hope you don't mean to the actual source. I use Katadyn tabs, and typically collect the water by screening through a bandana and then adding the tabs. Then when I need clean water I fill my bottles from it. Cross contamination can be high with this method so you'll need to decide for yourself.

Roland
02-25-2010, 14:33
1. I was wondering what people typically sleep in on the AT in the colder months? Thermal underwear or just dry gear that you'll be wearing the next day, etc.?

Whenever I'm backpacking, I dedicate a pair of socks, a T-shirt and boxer shorts for sleeping. I use these ONLY when I get into my sleeping bag. I go to great lengths to ensure this stuff stays dry. I never hike in this clothing, no matter how tempting it may be to do so. Putting on cold, wet clothing is not fun, so it takes discipline to reserve these for sleeping. Keeping a set of dry clothing and a dry sleeping bag is my best defense against hypothermia. It also ensures comfort at the end of the day, no matter how wet I got during the day, and helps me get a restful sleep.

2. Never used Aqua Mira before so I'm wondering without a filter what is your system? That is, do you filter your water through a bandana and then add Aqua Mia? Do you have a designated dirty bag/jug that you don't drink from, but just use to obtain water or do you just add AM to any water source? Overall just want to know what your methodology is in using Aqua Mira.

I have never used AM, so I can't help you here.

Bags4266
02-25-2010, 14:39
I have silk bottoms just for sleeping, keeps the scank off my bag (sleeping bag that is) Also I rotate a clean shirt every day. I try to wash one out if its stanky and leave it on my pack to dry during the day hike.

Blissful
02-25-2010, 14:55
I have a fleece pants and thermal top I wear for cold temps. Never wear my hiking garb, too sweaty, smelly and salty

I used Aqua Mira the whole way, only had to worry about floaties a couple of times, but even then I didn't worry bout it. I did not use it in beaver areas in VT though. Just put the water in your platypus or other container and treat it.