PDA

View Full Version : Alpaca wool socks

Rick500
02-25-2010, 14:47
Uh-oh. I bought a couple pairs of Dahlgren alpaca wool blend socks because I read that alpaca wool is hypoallergenic. Well, I wore a pair at work the other day and they were itchy as heck (although I loved the cushioning and "slipperiness," if that's a word).

I wonder if I'm allergic to alpaca wool, or if it was just too warm to wear them (70 degrees indoors).

Anyone else find alpaca wool to be itchy?

Should I try merino or just give up and go with completely synthetic socks?

Snowleopard
02-25-2010, 14:51
If it is allergy, you'd expect your reaction to just be to the animals you're allergic to.
Alpaca and sheep are pretty different animals. If you're allergic to sheep, then I imagine you'd be allergic to all wool from sheep including merino.

If it's not allergy, but your skin is just sensitive to wool, maybe the merino will be fine; no way to know till you try it.

mudhead
02-25-2010, 14:52
Same here. I need polypro liners for Smartwool, but not Bridgedale.

Those are sweet socks you got.

Tuckahoe
02-25-2010, 15:41
Uh-oh. I bought a couple pairs of Dahlgren alpaca wool blend socks because I read that alpaca wool is hypoallergenic. Well, I wore a pair at work the other day and they were itchy as heck (although I loved the cushioning and "slipperiness," if that's a word).

I wonder if I'm allergic to alpaca wool, or if it was just too warm to wear them (70 degrees indoors).

Anyone else find alpaca wool to be itchy?

Should I try merino or just give up and go with completely synthetic socks?

It could be the quality of the alpaca wool itself. There are different grades of alpaca wool with the cheap stuff being pretty poor quality. And sometimes folks just dont want to spend the money for what is a more expensive yarn.

Also you may not actually be alergic, but rather you are wool sensitive.

mudhead
02-25-2010, 18:30
The red dots I would call an allergy. Itching a sensitivity. Either is a pain.

KMACK
02-25-2010, 19:10
Thats too bad. I love my Alpaca socks.

Rick500
03-06-2010, 19:10
I gave them another shot; hiked a local ~5 mile loop trail and the socks were just fine. I guess I just shouldn't have worn them all day indoors at 70 degrees. Must've just been too warm.

Blissful
03-06-2010, 19:52
I itch with wool but have few problems with merino (though I do not wear it at night)

Ramble~On
03-06-2010, 21:00
I love my Alpaca socks and have never had an itch problem with them.

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2010, 07:42
I have an alpaca sweater I bought in Chile (straight from the lady that was knitting it) that itches like mad. :( I can wear merino wool no problem.