PDA

View Full Version : Petzl eLite and night hiking?

thelowend
02-26-2010, 02:10
I love my little petzl elite for using around camp and in the tent and am curious if anybody has used one night hiking or if they wouldn't be strong enough at all if the terrain wasn't very smooth.. I am going to try it night hiking this weekend in Rich Mountain wilderness and try it on a variety of trails but I am impatient and curious if anybody has any experience with this (i.e. if it's just a plain bad idea).

earlyriser26
02-26-2010, 07:29
I did a night last October with one. It worked fine, but I was in rolling hills. I think it would work most places. Just remember to bring a spare.

GeneralLee10
02-26-2010, 08:05
I used mine in November of last year for about 3 miles +/-. I was just South of Fontana. If it were not for the hunting dog that I came across I mite have gotten lost. It was using your cell phone in the night. Yes you can see the ground but not much more than that. I say don't do it you just mite end up hurt or lost. It really is an emergency light nothing more than that. Oh the dog seem to know the trail. I gave him all my food when I got to a safe spot.

daddytwosticks
02-26-2010, 08:27
I have this headlamp. Got it late last year and only used it on one three day hike. Perfect for around camp at night doing chores. I wouldn't want to use this headlamp for night hiking on any regular basis. :)

gardenhead
02-26-2010, 12:26
It will work, but not too well.
Like the others have said, pretty much just for emergency use.
The trail has to be pretty obvious, in which case you could a lot of times do without.

Lyle
02-26-2010, 12:43
I use the eLite and really like it. Here is my opinion of it's usfullness:

Camp chores like setting up tent, cooking, cat holes, getting water, etc. - Great! Convenient, hands free, plenty bright, batteries last forever in intermittent use, red light option if in crowded shelter.

Hanging a bear bag - Ok, very serviceable, but not ideal.

Night Hiking - Depends on the trail. Ok on good trail, adequate on rougher trail. Many other better options for a few more ounces. Fine for emergency or very occasional night hike. If frequent night hikes are planned, I carry something else.

Powder River
02-26-2010, 13:13
I tried using it night hiking and it was a miserable experience. Kept tripping over rocks I couldn't see and so on. I finally realized that a 1oz headlamp just wasn't going to do the job

Johnny Thunder
02-26-2010, 13:52
I used one for the entire through and never really knew that it might cause a problem. Sure, it's not as bright as a normal light but I found that I didn't really need it on the nights I was out. This includes the last 12 miles of the Maryland 40...Cumberland Valley (starting at 2 AM to get to Billville)...and lots of short walks on/off the parkway and skyline drive.

I use a full-size one now and it's better. But once you're used to the E Lite you won't have problems.

johnnyblisters
02-26-2010, 14:26
I like to night hike during the clear moon lit nights, you really don't need a headlamp if you let your eyes adjust accordingly.

ken209
02-26-2010, 17:42
I love my little petzl elite for using around camp and in the tent and am curious if anybody has used one night hiking or if they wouldn't be strong enough at all if the terrain wasn't very smooth.. I am going to try it night hiking this weekend in Rich Mountain wilderness and try it on a variety of trails but I am impatient and curious if anybody has any experience with this (i.e. if it's just a plain bad idea).
Used mine for about 2 hours at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. hiked 2+ hours out the next morning this past Sept in the very dark, had no problems seeing.

FamilyGuy
02-26-2010, 17:50
I find on trail it is just okay. Off trail or uneven terrain it is not sufficient. Use something brighter.

WalkSoftly33
02-26-2010, 18:01
A buddy of mine was with his GF and ended up sleeping 300 yrds away from a shelter becasue the light was inadequate to navigate at night. While some of this was inexperience (a few yrs ago) he said that it was not good at all for hiking at night.

I also have this headlamp and have only used it for around camp or as a backup to my BLACKDIAMOND SPOT which has the best beam around while at 3.1oz it is like having a lighthouse on your fourhead besides the wieght I love it. Im currently debating which to bring on my thru

thelowend
03-01-2010, 04:06
I used mine in November of last year for about 3 miles +/-. I was just South of Fontana. If it were not for the hunting dog that I came across I mite have gotten lost. It was using your cell phone in the night. Yes you can see the ground but not much more than that. I say don't do it you just mite end up hurt or lost. It really is an emergency light nothing more than that. Oh the dog seem to know the trail. I gave him all my food when I got to a safe spot.

exactly what i needed-thanks! i will be investing in a stronger light when the funds roll around..

kanga
03-01-2010, 09:01
you can use it if you have to but it's irritating. i did 6 miles nighthiking on the bmt last summer with it and as soon as i got home, started looking for a new headlamp.

Hokie
03-01-2010, 09:19
I have used it at night too in the am before sunrise knowing that if it failed, I could just sit tight and wait for the sun. It worked but the battery drop off on light intensity is very noticable very quickly with this type of use. Not nearly as bright after an hour or so. I liked it around camp and the red light is a big plus to me.