PDA

View Full Version : Most Scenic sections of the AT in Vermont

Walessp
02-26-2010, 10:29
I'm planning on doing some section hikes this summer. I'd like some opinions on the most scenic sections of the AT in Vermont. I'lll probably be hiking a 3 day stretch and hang the hammock or stay in shelters. Ideally there should be a few road crossing that are SUV suitable. Thanks in advance!

Outlaw

Ender
02-26-2010, 11:03
You really can't go wrong in VT on any section, but I was always a fan of the area around Stratton. Goddard Shelter area, Glastenbury Mt., Stratton Mt....... Maybe hike from VT-9 around Bennington up to Manchester Center. I think that's about 40 miles.

Jeff
02-26-2010, 11:06
North of Rt 9 near Bennington is as wilderness as you can get south of Maine. Glastenbury Mt area is really beautiful. So is Stratton Mtn and Stratton Pond.

Ramble~On
02-26-2010, 11:10
Vermont is amazing! Stratton Mountain and the stretch 2 miles or so south of the side trail to White Rocks Cliffs. Killington was nice too.

peakbagger
02-26-2010, 17:27
I expect I am in the minority but I really like the stretch from the Long Trail Junction to the NH Line. Its classic VT (lots of Puds) but on some of the puds there are open hilltop fields and down in the woods there are some very mature hardwood stands. There is even a old growth stand just North of Giford woods. Plenty of options for road crossings. It not true wilderness, but I lke the variety of terrain rather than the ubiqutos red spriuce and dwarf birch stretches south of the AT junction.

This section get a lot less use during the summer than the Long Trail which is another plus.

Really, its hard to go wrong in VT as long as the bugs are gone and the woods are dry. I do remember the stretch north of Stratton Pond being kind of wet and a lot of woods walking. I wouldnt want to be there during bugf season with all the ponds and wet spots.

Dogwood
02-26-2010, 23:32
I know I'm going to leave some places out, but off the top of my head, some of my favorite scenic Long Trail highlites:

Jay Peak, Mt Mansfield, Camel Back, Devils Gulch, top of Mad River Glen Ski area, Lamoille River overlook, Glastenbury Mnt, Stratton Mnt (w/ additional blue blaze to the ski area for a hot chocolate on outside deck), White Rocks Blue Blaze overlook(neat place w/ cairns in the moist peaty evergreen forest), all the fire towers(climb everyone you can, great views, cool place to spend overnights), some skiing areas leave huts and shelters open for hikers(take advantage of the hospitality and LNT)

fiddlehead
02-26-2010, 23:49
To me, I never really thought of VT as being one of the scenic states.
But reading through these posts, yes, there are some nice spots, mostly at the ski areas and Glastonberry mt. (the shelter there has a great view also but I usually sleep up on top)
They're called the green mts. for a reason

stumpknocker
02-27-2010, 08:31
I agree more with Dogwood on this. I know you asked about the AT in VT, but I think the northern Long Trail in VT is way more scenic. I loved walking along and seeing Lake Champlain off to my right along with the other long distance views up that way. :)

Jeff
02-27-2010, 08:31
I expect I am in the minority but I really like the stretch from the Long Trail Junction to the NH Line. Its classic VT (lots of Puds) but on some of the puds there are open hilltop fields and down in the woods there are some very mature hardwood stands. There is even a old growth stand just North of Giford woods. Plenty of options for road crossings. It not true wilderness, but I lke the variety of terrain rather than the ubiqutos red spriuce and dwarf birch stretches south of the AT junction.

This section get a lot less use during the summer than the Long Trail which is another plus.

Yes, you are in the minority on liking the section from ME Jct to Hanover...but you have inspired me to revisit that area later this season. Always recalled the unique platform at the Lookout. And, it's a treat to finish in Hanover with all the restaurant options!!!

Cookerhiker
02-27-2010, 11:32

Really, its hard to go wrong in VT as long as the bugs are gone and the woods are dry. I do remember the stretch north of Stratton Pond being kind of wet and a lot of woods walking. I wouldnt want to be there during bugf season with all the ponds and wet spots.

Yes, you are in the minority on liking the section from ME Jct to Hanover...but you have inspired me to revisit that area later this season. Always recalled the unique platform at the Lookout. And, it's a treat to finish in Hanover with all the restaurant options!!!

I have great memories of this section. Perhaps it's because I hiked it in perfect Fall weather with glorious colors which were enhanced by gazing at the trees - near and far - from the open areas.

But I also agree that hiking between Rt. 9 and 30 over Glastonbury and Stratton Mountains with Stratton Pond is also nice.

Re. the northern part (non-AT), I've said on several threads that nothing beats walking the Lincoln Ridge, Camels Hump, and Mansfield with the constant views of Lake Champlain to the west.

The only section of the LT devoid of any views or interesting features is from Rt. 4 to Rt. 73.

Deadeye
02-27-2010, 11:34
I expect I am in the minority but I really like the stretch from the Long Trail Junction to the NH Line. Its classic VT (lots of Puds) but on some of the puds there are open hilltop fields and down in the woods there are some very mature hardwood stands.

In the minority, but not alone! I like that section, too, and since it's lower elevation, it's a good area for late fall hikes for foliage, or spring hikes before the rest of the trail is ready.

Also a second on the Stratton area, you can do some nice loops incorporating the Lye Brook wilderness.