PDA

View Full Version : AT sections with the least snow?

Hyway
02-26-2010, 11:43
So I posted a comment to Second Stage's trail journal that she should start a new way of hiking called the Cool Freeze where she skips all the highland areas with high snow and come back to get them later. She responded by asking where that section might be? :)

So, other than suggesting Argentina, where is a section someone could skip to past teh smokies to hike for a while where the trail is better. You would think the lower elevations in northern Virginia would be good, but they were hit pretty hard by the blizzard too.

Anyone have any ideas for a Cool Freeze hike?

Ox97GaMe
02-26-2010, 12:39
The only clear parts of the AT right now are in Georgia. There is snow on the mountains from Standing Indian all the way through Roan Highlands in these parts. The winter storms of the past 4-6 weeks have been hitting Virginia, W. Virginia, Maryland, and New York pretty hard. I would imagine they have a lot of snow there still too, even though it is lower elevation.

If you are wanting to hike without any snow, you need to head to the deep south or head to the SouthWest (Arizona, New Mexico, California)

Old Grouse
02-26-2010, 12:47
Northwestern Connecticut (Kent, Salisbury, etc.) got hit this week.

Praha4
02-26-2010, 13:04
try the Florida Trail, it's got some blowdowns but no snow

Gray Blazer
02-26-2010, 13:09
try the Florida Trail, it's got some blowdowns but no snow
A lot of water in some places.

Praha4
02-26-2010, 13:12
oh yeah... talk about water on the FT....been in Bradwell Bay yet?

paddler
02-26-2010, 13:37
maine dosnt have snow

Richard Anderson
02-26-2010, 13:46
As of last Sun, feb 22, the north sides of GA mountains , starting with Springer, are covered with snow that has melted and frozen into treacherous ice. The weather has been cold all week, so today/tomorrow when I check I expect to find icy snow remaining. A group of 4 agile young men from Fla told me each one took a major pratfall between FS 42 and the Terminus, a heavily traveled, snow-packed-into-ice section.

I need to monitor the GA & NC AT trail for ice on the trail, suggestions? inputs?

Blissful
02-26-2010, 14:46
AT section with the least snow -
Downtown Damascus. ? :)

Minerva
02-26-2010, 17:15
I was in Hanover yesterday and can report that the Trail is totally snow free from the Elm St trail head in Norwich to the Hanover Co-op.

MrsG ;)