PDA

View Full Version : Speer winter tarp or MacCat deluxe?

cowpoke
02-26-2010, 11:54
I don't think I can go wrong with either one but wonder if anyone has any thoughts. Right now I primarily section the AT during spring and fall...next section will be from Deep Gap over to NOC the end of April. I have the HHED. Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

Deadeye
02-26-2010, 11:59
if you don't mind carrying the extra weight, the SWT has the option of closing the 'doors' I've attached ribbon ties so I can tie back the doors when not wanted. otherwise, as you said, you're in a no-lose situation

Hooch
02-26-2010, 11:59
You're right, you really can't go wrong with either one. I own a MacCat Deluxe and 2 SWT's and love them all. I'm also friends with Brian and Ed, so buying out of loyalty is difficult. For my money though, the SWT provides more lateral coverage since the cat cuts aren't as deep. I tend to use the MacCat in better weather, but my year round go-to tarp is still my SWT. Good luck and have fun choosing.

Ewker
02-26-2010, 12:32
I would go with the SWT over any other tarp

KMACK
02-26-2010, 12:52
Get both and hike year round!

Hokie
02-26-2010, 14:42
You could also check out Warbonnet's tarps over on Hammock Forum like the Bigmamajamba with detachable doors.

Wags
02-26-2010, 18:30
you won't be steered wrong with either. know that there is a company that builds "doors" onto tarps (a husband/wife team in PA). if you opt for the mac cat deluxe you can always get 1 or 2 "doors" for your tarp and turn it into a winter tarp

Bearpaw
02-26-2010, 19:23
You could also check out Warbonnet's tarps over on Hammock Forum like the Bigmamajamba with detachable doors.

I own both the Speer Winter Tarp and the MacCat Deluxe. I like both for different reasons, but my new goto tarp is the Warbonnet Big MamaJamba with detachable doors.

The color is the stealthiest I have found for the southeast, a dark olive. I can have better enclosure against than the SWT against cold winds. I can leave the doors at home in warmer weather and have the easy setup and tight pitch of the MacCat Deluxe, and save weight versus the SWT in that setting.

The Big MamaJamba IS a couple or three ounces heavier than the SWT with the doors, but evens out nicely if you leave them at home. And for its excellent enclosure, the extra ounces are well worth it.

Egads
02-26-2010, 19:54
BearPaw,

That Warbonnet Big MamaJamba with detachable doors is a great looking winter / summer tarp. I just ordered the Spinn version w/ detachable doors.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

cowpoke
03-01-2010, 17:40
Thanks all for your thoughts....much appreciated. I just ordered the Speer Winter Tarp...was on sale...which is also nice. Thanks again. Cheers.