02-26-2010, 13:16
i say he won't do it
http://www.theinitiativesite.com/

Marta
02-26-2010, 13:23
Does he have any LD hiking experience?

Spirit Walker
02-26-2010, 13:26
According to the biography page - no. He has backcountry experience (living in the woods) but no thruhiking experience.

Mags
02-26-2010, 13:28
That was my question as well.

I see he is (was?) based in Boulder. If I had known about this earlier, I would have invited him to the Ruck this weekend. Curious to hear more about his plans.

EDIT: WAS; his journal pages are now written from Michigan.

JustaTouron
02-26-2010, 13:36
that's 35+ mile per day, every day, for a year. no zeros. that means realistically about 40+ on most days and a 10 mile nero on resupply days.

completing the quad in two years might be doable but a considerable challenge, in one year is unreasonable.

Mags
02-26-2010, 13:44
completing the quad in two years might be doable but a considerable challenge, in one year is unreasonable.

In fairness, people said that about the 1 yr Triple Crown as well.

Justin Lichter aka Trauma, did the ECT (AT+other trails), CDT and PCT in one year which is 10k plus miles.

Will it be easy? Hell no. Extremely difficult. Yes. But it is (just barely) on the edge of possible for someone.

Mind you, that someone is NOT me. ;)

RayBan
02-26-2010, 13:52
Godspeed to the man if that's what he wants to do.

Ender
02-26-2010, 14:06
Good luck to him.

Helios
02-26-2010, 14:11
Starting the NCT in January will be interesting. It's all good. I'm just tryin' to get through the AT in one year myself....

QuarterPounder
02-26-2010, 14:17
i say he won't do it

I wish him well. Hope he does, but I fear Lone Wolf is right.

weasel and bunny
02-26-2010, 14:26
Is this possible? He is starting on Jan. 1 in the north and will hike the NC trail leading through very snowy states. North Dakota alone can get a heck of a lot of snow in the March timeframe that he would need to enter the state.
Where do other ultra long distance hikers trying for the Triple Crown start and when? I would guess most start on Springer and go north, jump over to the PCT at the southern end and then go SOBO on the CDT. Am I right?
30-40 miles a day through snowy terrain. Doable? I don't know

AUhiker90
02-26-2010, 14:34
Thats just insane. But anything is possible i suppose and boy will he get alot of attention if he completes this crazy journey.

soad
03-01-2010, 19:53
Hiking the NCT through PA in January sounds like a wretched idea. A few miles of wonderfully beautiful trail followed by miles and miles of salt encrusted road walking. Ever get hit with the snow scraped from a PENNDOT snowplow? I haven't, but my mailbox got sheered in half last week from that....

WILLIAM HAYES
03-01-2010, 20:09
I agree with Wolf.. he want make it ..maybe we all should all get personal websites and have a catharsis about our lives ..personally I cannot stand is type of golly look at me stuff
Hillbilly

Feral Bill
03-01-2010, 21:05
i say he won't do it

Going way out an a limb there LW.

T-Dubs
03-01-2010, 21:12
I might just go along. I'm retired now.

Or maybe not.

TWs

JJJ
03-01-2010, 21:14
I'd like to see someone do that, but don't think his first attempt will be more than a learning experience.
He may learn he's not what he think he is, or if he's the real thing as far as toughness, organization, thinking on his feet, goes, 15 months would be an extraordinary 2nd attempt.

ChinMusic
03-01-2010, 21:15

I agree. Possible.

.... but doubtful

Lone Wolf
03-01-2010, 21:26

explain that statement

Roughin' It
03-01-2010, 22:23

explain that statement

being facetious

thelowend
03-01-2010, 22:58
I agree with Wolf.. he want make it ..maybe we all should all get personal websites and have a catharsis about our lives ..personally I cannot stand is type of golly look at me stuff
Hillbilly

I agree with you.. granted, I read his biography page and he has overcome some big obstacles.. but it's still quite the lookatme site.. the bio makes him out to be a victim of life, soaking up every possible moment..

Feral Bill
03-01-2010, 23:01
being facetious

Thanks

FB

Lumberjack2003
03-01-2010, 23:08
Good luck to him. It would be an amazing thing.

Hoop Time
03-01-2010, 23:08
Doesn't seem to make much sense to start with the NCT in January. Wouldn't it be smarter to start one of the N-S trails heading NOBO?

The Solemates
03-01-2010, 23:55
skurka did the NCT in the winter when he did his C2C hike, then he did it again in January 2007

http://www.andrewskurka.com/hikes_index.php

JJJ
03-01-2010, 23:57
Doesn't seem to make much sense to start with the NCT in January. Wouldn't it be smarter to start one of the N-S trails heading NOBO?

My guess is he'd be facing too much elevation and latitude by mid-winter for the N-S routes .
The NCT is less mountainous, less snow hopefully?

ChinMusic
03-02-2010, 00:05
The part of the NCT I did was hard to follow in season. The blazes were a bitch to find. It was like, see a blaze, walk to it, search for another one. Real slow progress.

jesse
03-02-2010, 00:41
I noticed he is soliciting donations and sponsorships. I'll PASS.

Mags
03-02-2010, 02:09
I agree. Possible.

.... but doubtful

I think we are on the same page. Here's what I wrote earlier:

Will it be easy? Hell no. Extremely difficult. Yes. But it is (just barely) on the edge of possible for someone.

I also said that someone sure as hell won't be me!!! :D

fiddlehead
03-02-2010, 05:08
He'll sure need a lot of luck with the weather.
Both Brian Robinson and Squeaky had low snow years from what I remember.
We got hammered in the spring on our attempt in CO and again in MT.

Red Beard
03-02-2010, 09:25
Wow! There's no way I could do that. I hope he makes it.

Samuel H. Gardner
03-03-2010, 00:37
I have recently come across this thread through my Google Analytics account. I decided that it is about time to I introduce myself and set the record straight.

-First, I'd like to thank the positive comments. I appreciate them.

-I made the website for the purpose of documenting my trek and to make the experience available for others to enjoy, IF they so choose too.

-As far as experience, here is a brief run down.

(1) I lived in a snow-cave on an island in the middle of a beaver pond for 6 months while skiing 5 miles to M.T.U. for school.

(2) For four years, I worked on the M.T.U wolf research project (world's longest running wildlife research project). I tracked wolves on a daily basis collecting data to calculate predation rates. I also spent two summers off the mainland on Isle Royale National Park conducting same work in the backcountry there.

-There was period of my life that I lived outside 18 out of 24 months.

-Have I thru-hiked before? Do I think this going to be easy? No. Never said that.

-Am I hurting anyone else by trying my best to reach my goals? No.

-A few years back, people also had negative remarks when my friends and I created a Junior Pistol Team. All of the members were in a graduating class of 30ish students, except for me being taught by my mother. As a group of small town kids we became U.S. National Champion Junior Team in all events for two years in a row as well as earn spots on the bench for the (adult) U.S. International Pistol Team. No one laughed after that.

-I am not saying I have super powers and nor I am saying I am a victim of anything. No sympathy wanted.

-I am only saying that I believe this trek is possible and I'm going to do my best to do it.

Please feel free to follow me or don't. That is your choice.

-Contact me via email, USPS or phone if you have any questions or issues. There is a full contact page on www.theinitiativesite.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.theinitiativesite.com)

*Real names Preferred

Hoot
03-03-2010, 01:07
Samuel,

good luck on your journey, and once ya get into Ohio i'd enjoy hitting the trail with ya for a bit as im currently hiking the Buckeye Trail in sections i'll keep up with your progress once ya get going.

climber2377
03-03-2010, 01:10
about 35 miles a day every day for a year in the snow, sleet, hail, rain, scorching hot souther sun, with or with out a pack i dont think knees are made for such stuff. going from super cold in the nct to the south of the pct in the spring, then heading to the cdt in the summer and trekking the at in the fall. get sick one day and you have to make that up. sounds a lot like forest gump here. i dont think its possible, but then again, if you put your mind to it, anything can be accomplished. i think it would take a lot of support, lots of shoes, is he staying in a tent? if you think about it, its walking 2.5 miles an hr, for 16 hrs every day. that even gives 8 hrs sleep every night, but he would not be able to stop to eat, or anything else. and if he needs to make up a day, he can walk 10 hrs for 8 days and sleep 6hrs. i think he will need more rest. if i had to put money on it i can see 2 years, but 1? sounds a lofty goal. i wish him luck

stranger
03-03-2010, 02:56
Good Luck!

I would strongly recommend getting in touch with three people, Scott Williamson, Andrew Skurka and Justin Lichter, as they have logged trips ranging from 7,000 - 10,000 miles, through winter.

I don't know about Scott, but Andrew and Justin have websites with contact details.

Cheers

jesse
03-03-2010, 03:53
Your credibility will increase after you complete the first trail, until then...

fiddlehead
03-03-2010, 05:02
Your ambition is commendable.
I wish you luck.

A few questions please:

How many 35+ mile days do you have under your belt (estimate is ok)

How much experience with map and compass in fog/rain/snow/limited sight? (triangulation) or do you plan to use a GPS with all the trails already installed? (if so, how do you expect to reload the different trails on the fly?

How many days food do you expect between resupply's on the western trails?

When do you plan to go through the "Bob"?, northern WA?, 100 mile wilderness?

What maps are you using for the CDT portion?

Any ultra runs under your belt (good practice for sleep depredation)

And this quote makes me wonder if you have any hiking experience:

*Real names Preferred

I really don't want to discourage you but, at least one successful thru-hike could mean the difference between achieving your goal and............and not.

I wish you lots of luck. Hopefully we can follow your journey here on whiteblaze somehow.

Squeaky 2
03-03-2010, 08:21
He'll sure need a lot of luck with the weather.
Both Brian Robinson and Squeaky had low snow years from what I remember.
We got hammered in the spring on our attempt in CO and again in MT.

not quite fiddlehead i did have record snow in the sierras and record snowfall on the AT. some very big snow dumps in the mahoosacs was a pain as i did the notch with over a foot of snow on those boulders!

what is this guy trying to do?

DAJA
03-03-2010, 09:24
Sam, you have set one hell of an adventure in motion and i'd like to wish you luck... Don't mind the negative nancy's on here, once they thru they get an erogance that permiates two week old hiker stench...

Your living in a snow cave and such already seperates you from the masses, simply by attempting to live another way.. Checking out of the mainstream so to speak.. Most on here believe spending six months walking on the AT qualifies them as checking out and being hard core. Yet they spend thousands of dollars doing it, while spending every 3-4 days in towns, surounded by mainstream comforts... Take no offence, they mean no harm, just a heavy dose of elitism...

Have fun and i'll enjoy watching your adventure unfold.. Success or failure, it matters not, sure beats the hell out of the 9-5!

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 09:30
that's ARROGANCE

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 09:43

DAJA
03-03-2010, 10:05

unclemjm
03-03-2010, 12:30
LW - thanks for starting this thread. It's been an interesting read so far.

Sam - Good luck to you - it's your hike, so hike it your way.

Not betting on success or failure - all I know is I am sitting at a desk most days and not on a trail so any comments from me beyond envy of one who has that much time to be outside are irrelevant.

I'll keep quiet now and continue to read along.

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2010, 13:07
I would agree that it appears his chances of success would be pretty low. I have done quite a bit of snowshoing on trails in the winter. It is difficult going most times. A 15-20 mile day on snowshoes is a major workout. Also, based on his lack of noted long distance hiking, Im not convinced he fully understands what it takes to walk 30-40 miles per day, with or without a pack, on any kind of terrain. Doing that for 350 consectutive days is brutal on the body. Ive only managed to do it for 7 consecutive days and that was enough to convince me I didnt want to do any more of it.

As far as possible or being crazy for attempting... there are a lot f things folks used to say were impossible, like....

The first Everest summit
The first thru hike
The first Yo-Yo
The first Triple Crown
Sailing around the world
Flying around the world
Landing on the moon

Several years ago, I was contemplating a 10,000 mile hiking trip over a 24 month period. Folks said it was impossible and I was crazy. Since then, there have been a couple of folks that have hiked that distance in a single year. I have come to learn that if there is something that folks say is impossible, there is likely at least one person willing to prove them wrong.

mattabbotts
03-03-2010, 14:21
Sam is a really good friend of mine and a partner in tons of adventures so I will take a minute to explain his lack of long distance hiking experience. He is a pretty humble guy, which is why he didn't initially post his trip here himself. He really is just doing this for a great experience and started the site to share it with anyone who is interested. He won't talk himself up so I will do it for him.

When he says wolf tracking and research on Isle Royale he might as well say long distance hiking experience. He and I worked out there together and logged 500+ miles off trail over the course of 9 weeks and another 300 on trail. Off trail miles out there unbelievably tough. I thru hiked the AT in just over 100 days in '07 and what we did on Isle Royale was a lot more physically demanding.

He is no stranger to long days. We have gone on a lot of weekend and weeklong trips where we average 40-45 miles per day and have done quite a few day hikes over 50 miles.

We live in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's UP. He knows what winter means. The NCT runs within 20 miles of his house. Living outside during the long, cold snowy winter up here should at least have given him a taste of what being out there day after day will be like.

He is a pretty strong willed guy and this has been his dream for a long time. Is it on the edge of possibility? Of course. But I think that is what makes it so interesting. The possibilities for failure are huge but the fact that there is a chance of success definitely make it worth following along. People said the calender triple crown was impossible but Matt Hazely finished it after starting in May. That leaves 4 months to hike the NCT.

If it was easy everyone would do it and it no one would be talking about it. Let's give the kid as much support as we can. He is striving after his dreams here.

jersey joe
03-03-2010, 14:49
It'll be a ton of fun to follow this adventure. Does Sam plan to post a journal or regular update on his site while he hikes?

WalkSoftly33
03-03-2010, 15:04
This adventure sounds awsome! Truly a unique and a tremendous challenge. Best o' luck to ye'

Are you going to try and finish even if you go over your 1 year goal?

Id start taking something for joint pain now! haha just kidding (but not really)

WalkingStick75
03-03-2010, 17:51
8 days to travel between trails (may be another zero day or two so he can pay any tickets between trails), 1 zero per month. That would be 36.25 miles per day on the trail. Not possible

Roughin' It
03-03-2010, 18:35
8 days to travel between trails (may be another zero day or two so he can pay any tickets between trails), 1 zero per month. That would be 36.25 miles per day on the trail. Not possible
i hope he completes it, not only because it would be amazing, but so the "not possible" crowd like you who base their opinion on math and reason will eat their words.

JAK
03-03-2010, 19:22
It would be rather interesting to embark on something like this with minimal experience and fitness, and develop the experience and fitness as you go. That wouldn't be the best way to ensure success, but it would perhaps be of greater interest and value to most observers, and participants. As for sponsorship, I've always felt that diminishes the value of any such adventures. Not that sponsorship is a new idea.

SmokeEater
03-03-2010, 20:19
Good luck to you. I will be following you. The people on the trail are different then most on WB. Some think because they have many miles under there belts they are the A.T. expert gods. Dont listen to the negative remarks.

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 20:37
"Man will never set foot on the moon" "the 4 minute mile will never be broken" "Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in a single calendar year is impossible" "Ya can't get theyah from heya" All words that have been uttered that since have been proven wrong.

DavidNH
03-03-2010, 20:40
In my view, this guy is certifiably nuts!

JJJ
03-03-2010, 21:24
He is no stranger to long days. We have gone on a lot of weekend and weeklong trips where we average 40-45 miles per day and have done quite a few day hikes over 50 miles.

This lends a degree of credibility to the attempt. Still the odds are way against a 365 day completion.
With money, I would wager against, but hope I lost.
I like to see people take on this kind of challenge if they have some serious credibility and are not just doing it blow their own horn.
There have been over 600 attempts to complete the Barkley Marathons, only 7-8 completions in over 20 years.
I don't count that as a lot of failure, I count it as a lot of people with the courage to see what they are made of.
GL, Sam.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2010, 22:04
Assuming he has the physical stammina to pull this off, it will still take a lot of detailed planning, a large support team and a lot of money to do.

I'd want food and water catches along the trail during the day and a camp set up with a bag waiting to fall into at the end of each day. Only then would anyone have a chance of completing this kind of endurance test.

Unsupported, having to make and break camp everyday, cooking your own food, etc, you'd be behind schedule in a matter of days.

That's why most of us are really sceptical about this attemt.

stranger
03-03-2010, 23:02
Personally speaking, I don't think not having a thru-hike under his belt means all that much in terms of mileage, endurance, what to expect, etc...

I've never done a (AT or similar distance trail) thru-hike and I can hike 30 mile days with a pack and cook for myself at the end of each day, I would prefer to hike less than that, 20-25 is more my style but i can certainly do 30. I know many hikers who can easily cover 30 miles per day, it's done all the time. For a year, that's another story, granted.

So he goes off and knocks off the AT this year...who cares, most AT hikers average 12 miles a day, alot of people hike that distance before noon! I don't think that changes anything, especially considering where he lives is much better preparation than the east coast! Ever been to the upper penisula of MI??? I have, 30 below zero with no wind! Will Steger keeps his artic dogs there!

The most obvious aspect of not having a long hiker under his belt is the mental part, but living in a snow cave for 6 months should certainly qualify him as mental tough - that's much harder than it sounds!

I do agree the logistics seem incredibly tough, and money will be another factor, there is NO margin of error, and even if he only took a zero a month he's looking at 35.5 miles on 29 days per month - that's a incredible distance!
I hope he finishes even if it's in 2 years, who cares, doing those four trail back to back would be amazing!

After reading this thread I couldn't help but think about my parents and friends reaction when I first told them I was going to do a month long hike, they all said I was crazy, I couldn't do it, impossible...I'm sure many people on here were told the same things when they informed their friends and family about an AT thru-hike. So I do find it interesting that many accomplished hikers are saying the same stuff to this guy.

The bottom line is that this would be an incredible trip, nearly impossible in many ways, but just because YOU could never average 35 miles per day along the AT (or 20 for that matter), does not mean this guy cannot average 35 along all 4 trails.

Unlikely...of course, but isn't that what it's all about?

Squeaky 2
03-04-2010, 05:11
for a fit young person who is tough mentally, 35 miles per day for a year is not hard at all. my avg. was 33 for 8 months and that was only that low due to some very tough trail conditions. apart from the sierras and maine/new hampshire my avg. was 40+ per day.

I dont know about the nct as i have never hiked that one. if the snow is deep then 1000 miles per month postholing isnt going to happen by anyone. snow shoeing will still be very hard on tight steep trails. he should use his skills on cross country skis.

if he gets to the PCT by mid june and can stick a 40+ pace for the rest of the trip then i believe this trip is very doable. i hope he does it. i remember how everyone said to do the 3 withou skipping around bad weather/snow would be impossible. thats why i started in may, it made it a challenge to me.

make no mistake, this is doable!!!!

Colter
03-04-2010, 12:00
for a fit young person who is tough mentally, 35 miles per day for a year is not hard at all.

I've always liked the quote "we see things not as they are but as we are" I think that for you, Squeaky, and a handful of others, that might be true. But with respect to you extraordinary hikers, for most relatively young, relatively fit people that quote isn't even close to true. I couldn't have done it even at my fittest. "Hard" is relative. According to Long Distance Hiking only one in ten AT hikers he surveyed did even one 30 mile day. Doing 35 miles every day for a year is exponentially more difficult, especially considering not being able to hike in the best weather window, insufficient time to recover from significant injuries, etc. Not even considering the enormous additional mental challenge. I think it's fair to say that to complete such a hike would require a "world-class hiker."

Is such a hike possible? Absolutely. Will this fellow do it? He might if he's a world class hiker.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-05-2010, 00:41
he needs to get a life no one cares if he lived in a snow cave tracked wolves or lived with wild dogs its a bunch of identity crises BS

Roland
03-05-2010, 06:54
he needs to get a life no one cares if he lived in a snow cave tracked wolves or lived with wild dogs its a bunch of identity crises BS

Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel. :D

Medic!
03-06-2010, 05:26
I'd love to see this guy succeed, I'll follow the journal and live vicariously through him... but I don't see it succeeding (please prove me wrong!)

Last year winter storms brought down hundreds if not thousands of trees down on the SHT portion of the NCT here in MN, and was told by Gayle Coyer that a large section of the trail would be completely impassible until mid April until crew could get out there and clear it. That kind of delay would completely end the possibility of a successful completeion, IMHO.

But hell, HYOH and again, prove me wrong, please!

RGB
03-06-2010, 07:08
i hope he completes it, not only because it would be amazing, but so the "not possible" crowd like you who base their opinion on math and reason will eat their words.

This ain't Harry Potter, he can't magic himself across the trail.

No experience in LD hiking + the calculations = failure. Unlike in the movies, setting a goal like this is just setting yourself up for failure. If he does "succeed," I would need video proof of the entire hike to believe that he didn't yellow-blaze part of it. This should be a humbling experience for him. Judging by his ain't-I-great website, he needs one.

Roland
03-06-2010, 08:22

No experience in LD hiking + the calculations = failure. Unlike in the movies, setting a goal like this is just setting yourself up for failure. If he does "succeed," I would need video proof of the entire hike to believe that he didn't yellow-blaze part of it. This should be a humbling experience for him. Judging by his ain't-I-great website, he needs one.

Who will he hurt if he doesn't complete the hike in the specified time?

It's his hike. Why does he have to provide "proof" to you? Who the hell are you?

JJJ
03-06-2010, 08:23

When he says wolf tracking and research on Isle Royale he might as well say long distance hiking experience. He and I worked out there together and logged 500+ miles off trail over the course of 9 weeks and another 300 on trail. Off trail miles out there unbelievably tough. I thru hiked the AT in just over 100 days in '07 and what we did on Isle Royale was a lot more physically demanding.

We live in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's UP. He knows what winter means. The NCT runs within 20 miles of his house. Living outside during the long, cold snowy winter up here should at least have given him a taste of what being out there day after day will be like.

No experience in LD hiking + the calculations = failure. ...

I think Sam's friend and advocate indicates enough LD experience to make a credible attempt at some sort of epic journey.
The calculation portion and "that which can't be calculate for" part of the equation may be the toughest part to overcome.

RGB
03-06-2010, 12:15

It's his hike. Why does he have to provide "proof" to you? Who the hell are you?

Possibly his own inflated ego? I think you misinterpreted me. So far this whole thread has been about "can he or can't he?" I was simply expressing my doubt. If he does it, great. If not? Hopefully he will still generate money for his charities. All in all, I could really care less.

DocHolliday
03-06-2010, 13:17
lol People seems to be getting pretty up in arms about this.

Also, since when is mathematics and reason not a appropriate foundation to form ones opinion? This is real life after all, not some fairy tale.

I personally think he's on a fools errand, seeing that he has no experience, but hell power too him. At least he has aspirations.

thelowend
03-06-2010, 14:10
Doc, it seems any topic is reason for heated debate on this forum (or any other internet forum for that matter). I agree with the mathematic/logical approach to forming one's opinion of whether or not dude will succeed.

ChinMusic
03-06-2010, 14:21

When someone posts some new "attempt" they are looking for some attention. There is NOTHING wrong with that.

But, with the attention comes the critique of the "business plan". It's not like folks are "reading his mail".

Squeaky 2
03-06-2010, 15:07

this gave me a laugh! when i started the triple crown i had not used an ice axe, crampons, maps and compass, snowshoes or even had any experience on snow or with winter hiking. sometimes a bit of balls goes a long way to success in this type of hike.;):banana

the trouble is though as was posted earlier on this thread is the major problem of blow downs and the lack of maintainence during winter. when i hiked over the back of killington peak going sobo every tree on the side of the trail had fallen over. picture snow and stepping over hundreds of fallen trees in the dark. not ideal for good mileage. if you know a trail maintainer on that section ask them about the trees that fell that winter!:eek::confused: it was like hiking through a giant game of kerplunk!!:mad:

the problem is that even if sam is capable of this hike, the trails may not even be passable or ready for hiking with blow downs alone:-?

Del Q
03-06-2010, 15:13
This certainly is a BULLISH target he has set for himself. Will be interesting to track his progress, he has a lot of time until launch. I will be curious to read the "Nutrition" part on his website once it is posted.

JustaTouron
03-06-2010, 15:19

He posted his plan on a website. That pretty much gives us the right to critique it.

If you see someone carrying needless gear down the AT and you berate them for packing too heavy that is rude. Who asked you.

If someone posts their gear list on WB and you tell them what stuff you think they are bringing that is a waste of weight, well that is to be expected if you post your gear list.

Don't want your plan critized, don't post it.

Samuel H. Gardner
03-06-2010, 16:29
Hot damn. Go for it. Keep the keep it coming. While you're on here, I'll be outside skiing on this fine day. Cheers.

Mags
03-06-2010, 23:57
Hot damn. Go for it. Keep the keep it coming. While you're on here, I'll be outside skiing on this fine day. Cheers.

That's what I did today (backcountry. Lifts are for wussies. ;) ) And drank beer. And had a burger.

My goal now is to ski again tomorrow.

Ignore the posts on the Internet. Most are people who collects gear first and hike second (was that my outside voice? :D)

RGB
03-07-2010, 02:05
this gave me a laugh! when i started the triple crown i had not used an ice axe, crampons, maps and compass, snowshoes or even had any experience on snow or with winter hiking. sometimes a bit of balls goes a long way to success in this type of hike.;):banana

the trouble is though as was posted earlier on this thread is the major problem of blow downs and the lack of maintainence during winter. when i hiked over the back of killington peak going sobo every tree on the side of the trail had fallen over. picture snow and stepping over hundreds of fallen trees in the dark. not ideal for good mileage. if you know a trail maintainer on that section ask them about the trees that fell that winter!:eek::confused: it was like hiking through a giant game of kerplunk!!:mad:

the problem is that even if sam is capable of this hike, the trails may not even be passable or ready for hiking with blow downs alone:-?

By no means am I saying he can't complete it, I just don't think it's possible for him to do it in a year. I've only been hiking avidly for about two years now, and even two more years from now, a thru attempt is most likely going to be a big leap for me. Barring some unforeseen terrible accident, or God forbid, something terrible happening back home, I'm confident I'll complete it, even with my limited experience. Accomplishing his goal would be tough even with LD hiking experience; he probably needs a good deal of LD running/trailrunning experience even more. I'm not hoping that he fails, just expecting it. Like someone above said, real life isn't a fairy tale. You can't just go into montage-mode and cross the finish line in slow motion with an orchestral swell in the background.

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 02:29
-A few years back, people also had negative remarks when my friends and I created a Junior Pistol Team. All of the members were in a graduating class of 30ish students, except for me being taught by my mother. As a group of small town kids we became U.S. National Champion Junior Team in all events for two years in a row as well as earn spots on the bench for the (adult) U.S. International Pistol Team. No one laughed after that.

It may be that no one was laughing because you were holding pistols.

that's ARROGANCE

Not to mention "permeates."

JAK
03-07-2010, 03:14
12578 / 359 = 35 miles per day

NCT 4600 = 131 days
2 days vehicle shuttle
PCT 2650 = 76 days
1 days vehicle shuttle
CDT 3100 = 89 days
3 days vehicle shuttle
AT 2178 = 62 days
t
Which part is the most sketchy? I think the winter section is most unpredictable. You can go very fast on skis, if condtions are right.

Less than ideal conditions in winter, on skis or on foot, can not just slow you down, but really take a toll on the body. Really bad days can stop you cold, but there will only be so many of those. Averaged out over 4600 miles and 131 days, January into April, there will be some ideal winter conditions for sure, which are potentially faster thanfoot than foot travel in summer, but also alot of less ideal, and some days of down right ugly.

I think it does make sense though, to do the NCT first. It has the potential to be the fastest leg in terms of miles/day, but also the slowest. Something that could have been considered, maybe, might have been to start the NCT in December. That might change the rules of the game, not sure, but it would create some flexibility.

Arrogance or not, its an interesting challenge. I don't think it needs to be a sure thing to be worth attempting. I also don't think you need to have any credentials to be the first to attempt something like this. Personally, if I had a serious Johnson to do something like this, and I think you would have to in order to do it, I wouldn't have announced it to the world so far in advance, unless I wanted some competition. Perhaps he will get some. Kudos to him if his intention was to give better men fare warning.

JAK
03-07-2010, 03:28
that's 35+ mile per day, every day, for a year. no zeros. that means realistically about 40+ on most days and a 10 mile nero on resupply days.

I just read in the press release on his website he plan is to do it all in 14 months, not 12 months. I suppose 14 months is more realistic, but geez, Jan1 to Dec31, that's the real challenge isn't it?

fiddlehead
03-07-2010, 03:28
12578 / 359 = 35 miles per day

NCT 4600 = 131 days
2 days vehicle shuttle
PCT 2650 = 76 days
1 days vehicle shuttle
CDT 3100 = 89 days
3 days vehicle shuttle
AT 2178 = 62 days

Personally, I really don't think the CDT is that long.
There are many shorter routes that are often taken and no one is going to chide him for taking some (yeah right!)

As for the PCT, my ultra running friend Wall (who is a very impressive runner/hiker) set the (then) speed record in 2003 of 83 days. This was in the best window to take advantage of the longest days. He had a lot of experience also.
Sam would have to do this (according to JAK's calculations) a week faster.

As for the AT portion, these are the shortest days of the year (last 2 months of the year) and according to JAK's schedule (above) A 62 day thru-hike in this time of year is possibly do-able by less than a handful of people by itself.
I did a 40 miler on Dec 21st once on the AT.
Had to start about 2 hours before dawn and finish about an hour after.
Ran a good bit of it. (Shenendoah NP, considered by many to be the easiest part)

It will be fun watching him try though.
Unsupported means others will have to update us somehow.
I'm sure he won't have time for that.

ps. is this NCT really that long?

JAK
03-07-2010, 03:50
I am not familiar enough with any of the trails,
but could someone like Andy Skurka pull off something like this?

If so, then I think it is reasonable for anyone fit enough to at least consider it.

Some other questions:
1. How much of the NCT is doable on skis?
2. Are skis allowed within the spirit of this challenge?
3. What are the restrictions on support for this challenge? How many days food carried at once? Can he drop off and pickup skis if they are permitted? Can he drop off and pickup clothing and gear on a daily or weekly or monthly basis? In short, how much gear and clothing and food must he carry, on average?

fiddlehead
03-07-2010, 06:03
I am not familiar enough with any of the trails,
but could someone like Andy Skurka pull off something like this?
1. How much of the NCT is doable on skis?
2. Are skis allowed within the spirit of this challenge?
3. What are the restrictions on support for this challenge? How many days food carried at once? Can he drop off and pickup skis if they are permitted? Can he drop off and pickup clothing and gear on a daily or weekly or monthly basis? In short, how much gear and clothing and food must he carry, on average?

I certainly have to qualms about skis being used.
When I did my triple crown attempt, we tried skis although we found that the trail was too narrow and full of blowdowns for them to be of any advantage.

We also used bicycles for 1 1/2 days although we had already figured out that we were not going to be the first so, the temptation to succeed (or be so pure) were not as high a priority.

Why should anyone try to restrict what he carries?
He did say it is an unsupported attempt so, who is going to drop off and pick up his skis etc. for him?

I don't see that another Jan and Feb is going to help him all that much.
That just means he might have to do Maine and the White mtns in Dec/Jan instead of Oct/Nov. And THAT is a problem.

Graywolf
03-07-2010, 18:23

Justin Lichter aka Trauma, did the ECT (AT+other trails), CDT and PCT in one year which is 10k plus miles.

Mind you, that someone is NOT me. ;)

Heck, I would love to get just one trail under my belt, Ill think about the others later..

JAK
03-07-2010, 18:41
I certainly have to qualms about skis being used.
When I did my triple crown attempt, we tried skis although we found that the trail was too narrow and full of blowdowns for them to be of any advantage.

We also used bicycles for 1 1/2 days although we had already figured out that we were not going to be the first so, the temptation to succeed (or be so pure) were not as high a priority.

Why should anyone try to restrict what he carries?
He did say it is an unsupported attempt so, who is going to drop off and pick up his skis etc. for him?

I don't see that another Jan and Feb is going to help him all that much.
That just means he might have to do Maine and the White mtns in Dec/Jan instead of Oct/Nov. And THAT is a problem.Yeah I never thought of it that way. He is going SOBO, but still, that puts him in the North Dec/Jan doesn't it. Congrats on your Triple Crown, from the peanut gallery. :)

RGB
03-08-2010, 14:02
Heck, I would love to get just one trail under my belt, Ill think about the others later..

Agreed. I think it's quite arrogant to think you can just do all four in one fell swoop without having done any before.

East Coast Alex
03-21-2010, 01:10
He might as well just do the Florida Trail while he is at it, seeing as his map indicates he well end at the Georgia terminus of the A.T.... might as well just car ferry to the start of the Florida Trail after Georgia, and then finish up in the keys, or wherever the FT ends.

I say that recognizing that he'd have a hell of a time finishing all four trails, let alone adding a fifth..... but..... I just figured as long as he's "thinking big," might as well just go 'all the way.' :p

Del Q
03-21-2010, 12:58
One plus that I can think of is that all he has to focus on and think about is walking, far, EVERY DAY! If his body holds up he might be able to do it.........weather will be a MAJOR factor. Bears should not be an issue, my guess is he would be pretty nasty to eat after a few months.

hellomolly
03-24-2010, 14:21
What if he gets sick or hurt and has to take a week or more off? Will he continue on knowing that he won't make his goal or will he stop? I'm curious.

As insanely ambitious-to-the-point-of-ridiculous that this plan seems, good for him for trying. Some people can run a marathon every day. There must be someone out there physically capable of doing 35+ miles a day for a year. Whether he is that person remains to be seen...

I guess I'm more skeptical about unforeseen things coming up than I am about his physical ability. Maybe he is physically capable... but even the fittest individual is susceptible to giardia!

If I were him, I would be concerned about the long-term ramifications of something like this... on his body, that is. Every step up a flight of stairs puts 8 times a person's body weight in pressure on the knees. I can't imagine adding a pack to that and then adding in going up and down mountains all day, every day, for a year. Also, what about nutrition? They talk about hiker hunger for AT thruhikers pulling 10-20 miles a day... how can he carry the amount of food he will need to prevent him from whittling down to a skeleton? How can he even CONSUME that much food?

Not meaning to be a negative nancy :o because it's very commendable that he's trying this. Even if he doesn't make it and takes 15 months or something, it will be amazing.

hiddencacher
09-07-2010, 01:04
I think he will make it!

4eyedbuzzard
09-07-2010, 09:48
First, I'm amazed at some of the trail speed records people have set. Not my cup of tea, but I can see where the people who do them get a lot of satisfaction from the challenge.

I just don't see how this guy is going to be able to do this unsupported. If he had people helping with food and resupply it might make more sense to me. Just seems like there would have to be a lot of food / fuel carried to power his body (and stay warm), and that would require carrying a lot of food and stopping a lot to resupply, cutting down on hiking time.

Whatever, good luck. Hope you make it.

Big Dawg
12-27-2010, 19:35
multiple threads for the same subject,,, gotta love WB!

earlyriser26
12-27-2010, 19:49
I think he will make it!

And to think, this was your first post:rolleyes: