PDA

View Full Version : Getting excited!!!!

DeeDee
02-26-2010, 17:31
Well the train tickets have come. Our packs are packed. Working on breaking in ourselves and our boots. Me and my 13 year old son are planning a yo-yo thru hike. We are doing things a little different. We plan on start in Harpers Farry and go south. Then taking a bus from Gainsville to Medway and the starting the second part at Katahdin and ending in Harpers ferry. We are going to be leaving the end of April, and hoping to be on a bus to Medway/Katahdin Around the end of July.
I am wondering if anyone sees any unforseen problems with these plans? One thing that I was worried about is the permits when we get to the Smokey Mt. Park. Is there going to be a problem if we get there in July?
Any advice any of you could give would be apperciated.

10-K
02-26-2010, 17:37
Well the train tickets have come. Our packs are packed. Working on breaking in ourselves and our boots. Me and my 13 year old son are planning a yo-yo thru hike. We are doing things a little different. We plan on start in Harpers Farry and go south. Then taking a bus from Gainsville to Medway and the starting the second part at Katahdin and ending in Harpers ferry. We are going to be leaving the end of April, and hoping to be on a bus to Medway/Katahdin Around the end of July.
I am wondering if anyone sees any unforseen problems with these plans? One thing that I was worried about is the permits when we get to the Smokey Mt. Park. Is there going to be a problem if we get there in July?
Any advice any of you could give would be apperciated.

Congrats!

No problem on the permits. Stop at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs and get one for each of you. Since you're thru hiking you don't have to worry about shelter reservations.

(If you don't get your backcountry permits at BMO you'll have to hike to the ranger station when you get to Davenport Gap which is a ways from the trail. You walk right by BMO....)

Lilred
02-26-2010, 19:14
I'm sorry, but the teacher in me has got to correct you. What you are doing is a flip-flop hike. A yo-yo is where you hike to Katahdin, then turn around and hike back to Springer. But I bet you knew that.

And I'm jealous as hell. Your 13yo is one lucky kid!!!

DeeDee
02-26-2010, 19:19
Thank you and yes duh moment...lol:) The hike was all his idea.

Lilred
02-26-2010, 20:29
smart kid :)