PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Sawtooth

srestrepo
02-26-2010, 18:28
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Marmot Sawtooth Extra Wide Long...

the bag is awesome, very well put together, i really like the liner (feels good against the skin, compresses well, zippers dont snag that much, collar is well designed etc, etc.

the problem that i'm having with this bag is that even though i consider myself to be huge, 5'11 290 pounds, i wanted a big bag so have some breathing room. the problem is that this bag is entirely too big but i feat that the sawtooth regular isn't wide enough and the sawtooth long is just too long.

i bought this at REI so i know i can return it. i haven't even used it in the field yet.

my question is, for a 15 degree bag, would everyone prefer that the bag be bigger like almost too big for layering purposes like extending the usable temperature range?

or would you opt for something like the arrow rock flex from sierra designs that while having a big size range, is more form fitting?

i'm torn here and any advice will help.

thanks in advance,
Sebastian

10-K
02-26-2010, 18:50
or would you opt for something like the arrow rock flex from sierra designs that while having a big size range, is more form fitting?

Why not try both and keep the one you like?

Toolshed
02-26-2010, 19:59
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Marmot Sawtooth Extra Wide Long...

the bag is awesome, very well put together, i really like the liner (feels good against the skin, compresses well, zippers dont snag that much, collar is well designed etc, etc.

the problem that i'm having with this bag is that even though i consider myself to be huge, 5'11 290 pounds, i wanted a big bag so have some breathing room. the problem is that this bag is entirely too big but i feat that the sawtooth regular isn't wide enough and the sawtooth long is just too long.

i bought this at REI so i know i can return it. i haven't even used it in the field yet.

my question is, for a 15 degree bag, would everyone prefer that the bag be bigger like almost too big for layering purposes like extending the usable temperature range?

i'm torn here and any advice will help.

thanks in advance,
Sebastian
I too have a Marmot Sawtooth XWL. I like it, but I also picked up a Mont Bell Super-Stretch Down Hugger for a little more than what I paid for the Marmot and the Montbell is now my go to bag. In the winter, I like space at the bottom of my bag for boot liners water bottles and such, but i don't consider a 15 degree bag to be a winter bag.
What I don't like about the Marmot is that the zipper is always snagging - the zipper guard isn't wide enough.
Honestly, If the bag seems too long, send it back - I am 6'1" and find it just long enough to burrow into when I need to. I am not familiar with the SD bag, so I cannot offer anything of value there.

trailangelbronco
02-26-2010, 20:06
This bag is named after my favorite Mountain Range, In Idaho. he he

I like a tight bag in cold months. And in the Sawtooths, July can get cold and snowy.

Blissful
02-26-2010, 20:11
Big Agnes also makes good sized bags for big guys.

Wags
02-27-2010, 01:17
if there's a little too much space inside you could always put your sleeping pad in the bag. that should take up the extra room...

srestrepo
03-02-2010, 22:15
well i figured its just too too wide... does anyone have any input on a marmot never summer? its pretty much all i can afford right now... and seeing that i'll have to use the credit from returning the xwl sawtooth, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

srestrepo
03-03-2010, 20:29
any suggestions on a the mamot Never Summer 0 degree bag?

Wags
03-04-2010, 00:20
i would not get it, personally. i think 4 lbs is too heavy for a sleeping bag that i'd need on the appalachian trail. now if you're looking at mountaineering then i'd consider a heavier and colder rated bag