PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you would/wouldn't have brought while hiking...

coffeearmageddon
02-27-2010, 02:02
Trying to learn from others mistakes :)

JAK
02-27-2010, 02:09
Forgot me lighter once. Just a day hike, but still. Miserable that was.

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 02:15
Camp shoes. Found them useless. Funny thing was I already knew that, but lots of people told me how they had to have them at hostels and such. I never found that to be true.

Yaktrak. Never used them either.

Sunglasses. Even though I started in winter without leaves on the trees, I still spent more time trying not to lose them than I did wearing them.

Bronk
02-27-2010, 02:16
Have done both extremes of weight and amount of food. I prefer to have food than to starve. Canned chicken, canned ham, canned roast beef, blocks of cheese, loaf of bread tied to outside of pack. I go heavy when it comes to food.

JAK
02-27-2010, 02:18
One of my first epic winter explorations the weather closed in and I took a wrong turn and trudged an extra day or two with what amounted to way too much nylon, and way not enough food. Clothing insulation was about right. Now I carry alot less nylon. Less tent. Less jacket. Less backpack. Also had the wrong stove at the time. Esbits are great for making tea and oatmeal, but now for drying socks and boots. Kelly Kettle or hobo stove for me now. What else now? I had my map yes. I knew where I was yes. I didn't know where I could go and where I couldn't. Need to plan exit strategies in advance. Maps don't always show things like what roads are open in winter for someone to come and get you. What else? Common sense? Never had much of that. Always had to make do in that respect. lol

leaftye
02-27-2010, 02:48
My hockey puck ball. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I took a break and kicked my feet up on a rock and started massaging my feet on it. It's also great for massaging muscles deeper than I can manage with my bare hands.

I keep wishing I'd stop bringing thick socks. I never seem to need them.

Jim Adams
02-27-2010, 06:48
sunglasses...carried them up the entire trail and only used them twice.

...no, I don't learn easily...did it again on my second thru!

geek

Egads
02-27-2010, 08:03
Common sense? Never had much of that. lol

Well, that confirms the rumors :D

John B
02-27-2010, 08:10
A couple of small safety pins. Very useful for hanging yesterday's socks from your pack so they'll dry while hiking.

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 08:21
One time I did the Shenandoah AT and carried a B-flat soprano clarinet wrapped in my down vest which I never played once. Good thing as it would've verged on air pollution had I whipped it out.

stumpknocker
02-27-2010, 08:23
sunglasses...carried them up the entire trail and only used them twice.

...no, I don't learn easily...did it again on my second thru!

geek

Well Geek, before you come to a firm decision about your sunglasses, maybe you should give them just one more try on another thru. :)

My answer to Coffeearmageddon is; I don't carry lots of stuff I see other walkers carrying because it doesn't work for me. I bring some stuff I don't think other walkers carry because it does work for me. Make your mistakes and adjust. :)

Toolshed
02-27-2010, 08:59
Sunglasses - I see others with them, but I've tried them on dayhikes. Sweat just pours down the lenses and they are a pain to deal with, not scratch, not forget.

The flip side is that now I have to bring reading glasses....

Trailbender
02-27-2010, 09:38
I hiked the first 200 miles of the AT last summer, and I used sunglasses constantly. They are definitely coming with me this time.

Not Sunshine
02-27-2010, 09:52
a hat with brim - i can skip the sunglasses (my face sweats too much, anyway) - but when it's raining, i absolutely CANNOT handle squinting through the drops all day. gives me a headache. so i bring along my sexy black semi-trucker hat and wear it for sun and for rain. found it left behind at a shelter in the smokies - now i won't head for the trail without it.

Tinker
02-27-2010, 10:18

Are you looking for answers from thruhikers only?

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 11:16
One time I did the Shenandoah AT and carried a B-flat soprano clarinet wrapped in my down vest which I never played once. Good thing as it would've verged on air pollution had I whipped it out.

I tried a harmonica for a while, I'm not good at it, and I rarely used it. One day as I was walking down the trail whistling a tune, I realized I always had an instrument I could play with me.:sun

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 11:26
When I was going thru my Superfeet insole testing craze, I'm sure glad I brought my boot's regular insoles just in case, and boy I used 'em too as the Superfeet starting crimping up my toes(the boots were frozen most of the trip), and were beginning to ruin my trip.

Probably the biggest "things" I should NOT HAVE BROUGHT over the years on backpacking trips were a series of reluctant, whining, eyes-glazed-over girlfriends who had Five Year Plans which included birthing children and setting up house but did not include living outdoors. All you can do is brew up some Celestial Seasonings tea on your old Svea 123 and sit back by your tent and watch them eagerly return to the world of cash, cars, kids and towns.

Johnny Thunder
02-27-2010, 11:36
I brought a wiffle ball to Springer. Gave it away in Damascus. It caught up to me every time I got to a suitable field. Friends are for carrying your silly gear.

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 12:28
When I was going thru my Superfeet insole testing craze, I'm sure glad I brought my boot's regular insoles just in case, and boy I used 'em too as the Superfeet starting crimping up my toes(the boots were frozen most of the trip), and were beginning to ruin my trip.

Probably the biggest "things" I should NOT HAVE BROUGHT over the years on backpacking trips were a series of reluctant, whining, eyes-glazed-over girlfriends who had Five Year Plans which included birthing children and setting up house but did not include living outdoors. All you can do is brew up some Celestial Seasonings tea on your old Svea 123 and sit back by your tent and watch them eagerly return to the world of cash, cars, kids and towns.

That is probably the most weight I ever heard of someone cutting off their pack LOL. ;)

Doctari
02-27-2010, 13:04
I wish I carried: more tea. More variety's & just more of it. More food in general, just like the tea - variety & volume.

I wish I hadn't carried: Binoculars; carried them on at least 10 trips, thought of them ONE time, never actually used them. Heavy stove & cook pot. Too much clothing for ME for the weather conditions expected.

Still trying to justify / sort out: Camp shoes; I'm on pair #8, still not sure if I should or should not carry em. Entertainment; I carry a flute, but used it 2 of 20 nights, about 20 minutes each time, last trip. Sunglasses, like a few of the others, carried for hundreds of miles, worn rarely. Cell phone, rarely use it ON TRAIL, but at the rate pay phones are vanishing, , , , ,

Glad I carry / use: Kilt! Hiking poles! Hammock! OES tarp! Alcohol stove & beer can pot! ULA pack! Ball cap with ear flaps. WATERPROOF, Digital Camera.

buff_jeff
02-27-2010, 13:13
On my first hike I brought a 7" fixed blade kabar. More than a little unneccesary. :D

I also brought my electric razor, and some face gunk for zits that exploded in my pack. Definitely didn't need that.

I wish I would have brought sunscreen. It seems like every time I hike in early May, it is ridiculously hot and there are obviously no leaves on the trees yet. Also on my first trip, my neck got really bad sun poisoning and peeled for a while.

buff_jeff
02-27-2010, 13:14
Sunglasses - I see others with them, but I've tried them on dayhikes. Sweat just pours down the lenses and they are a pain to deal with, not scratch, not forget.

The flip side is that now I have to bring reading glasses....

I don't like wearing contacts on the trail, so I have the choice of either rocking specs or prescription sunglasses. :o

I go with the sunglasses so I don't have to look like a dork.

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 13:24
That is probably the most weight I ever heard of someone cutting off their pack LOL. ;)

Ah, now you're beginning to understand how light my big pack really is;).

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 13:27
Ah, now you're beginning to understand how light my big pack really is;).

I often envy you and your pack. But I am happy with my load too ;)

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 13:28
Speaking of that. I'm thinking of going out to my section next weekend for a maintenance trip. Are you going to be around the area?

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 13:42
Speaking of that. I'm thinking of going out to my section next weekend for a maintenance trip. Are you going to be around the area?

There's a very good chance I will be. I plan on going in from Flats Mountain. It's an excellent trail(and then a roadwalk to South Fork/North Fork). You know, around March 10-20 the Cranbrook School from Michigan will be bringing out their 60-80 high school kids(divided into 8 or 9 groups)for their 41st annual spring break backpacking trip. I always try to be out for that. They scatter thru the whole Citico/Slickrock and were out during the Blizzard of '93 and had to be helicopter-rescued, etc. Good stories and a few lost frostbit appendages.

By the way, do you know about the new trail in the new wilderness acreage off of Stiffknee Trail along Tallassee Ridge? It leaves around Farr Gap and goes to the lake where there's supposed to be some beach camping. Neato! It''s on my next trip's agenda . . . If you have some dates I could try and hook up.

JustaTouron
02-27-2010, 13:42
Wish I didn't bring on a hike....

"The neighbors kids"

Took two of my neighbors kids once on a trip along with my 3. They were the same age range as my kids and they wanted to go after hearing about it from my kids. And my kids wanted to bring their friends. Big mistake, nice enough kids, but not suited for camping.

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 13:44
Wish I didn't bring on a hike....

"The neighbors kids"

Took two of my neighbors kids once on a trip along with my 3. They were the same age range as my kids and they wanted to go after hearing about it from my kids. And my kids wanted to bring their friends. Big mistake, nice enough kids, but not suited for camping.

This gets me to thinking. I need to start a new thread: "Has Anyone Had To Rescue Or Take Out A Fellow Hiker??"

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 13:48
There's a very good chance I will be. I plan on going in from Flats Mountain. It's an excellent trail(and then a roadwalk to South Fork/North Fork). You know, around March 10-20 the Cranbrook School from Michigan will be bringing out their 60-80 high school kids(divided into 8 or 9 groups)for their 41st annual spring break backpacking trip. I always try to be out for that. They scatter thru the whole Citico/Slickrock and were out during the Blizzard of '93 and had to be helicopter-rescued, etc. Good stories and a few lost frostbit appendages.

By the way, do you know about the new trail in the new wilderness acreage off of Stiffknee Trail along Tallassee Ridge? It leaves around Farr Gap and goes to the lake where there's supposed to be some beach camping. Neato! It''s on my next trip's agenda . . . If you have some dates I could try and hook up.
That new trail is news to me. Sounds like fun. Maybe after it warms up so there is the chance of swimming?

For this trip I was thinking of going out Friday night and camping down by the creek (if my time and my son's time allow) then do maintenance Saturday and Sunday. The Stiffknee trail lost it's maintainer and I was thinking one day I would walk up it and check it out/ fix any issues that are out there that don't require a ton of work. I've got about 4 blow downs that I know of on my section that I can work, plus some brush work on Ike Branch climbing up to Yellowhammer gap.

If our schedules don't work out, we will still at least go out Saturday and camp over night after working our way in. Then on the way out Sunday finish everything we couldn't do on Saturday.

Unless there have been a ton of hikers in the last month, there is a BUNCH of firewood down by Slickrock creek from a blow down I cleared last month.

JustaTouron
02-27-2010, 13:55
This gets me to thinking. I need to start a new thread: "Has Anyone Had To Rescue Or Take Out A Fellow Hiker??"

Bringing along someone and rescuing someone is two different things.

I have rescued two hikers....

One was a solo girl in her twenties who tripped crossing a stream and busted up her knee really bad and couldn't walk along with getting herself totally soaked Had we not found her she would have died that night of hypothermia.

The second was a boy about 5 years old. He had gotten lost gathering firewood cause he wanted his parents to build him a camp fire. Instead of staying put he kept wandering in the dark. Eventually he saw our campfire in the distance and headed towards it thinking it was his parents fire. He had travel over a 1.5 miles in two and half hours he was lost.

QuarterPounder
02-27-2010, 16:45
Candle lanterns?? Anyone carry them?

Rockhound
02-27-2010, 16:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59420 Most of this guys list I would not bring.

JustaTouron
02-27-2010, 16:51
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59420 Most of this guys list I would not bring.

That is actually a great list.....for car camping.

GGS2
02-27-2010, 18:07
... Probably the biggest "things" I should NOT HAVE BROUGHT over the years on backpacking trips were a series of reluctant, whining, eyes-glazed-over girlfriends who had Five Year Plans which included birthing children and setting up house but did not include living outdoors. All you can do is brew up some Celestial Seasonings tea on your old Svea 123 and sit back by your tent and watch them eagerly return to the world of cash, cars, kids and towns.
Catch them a little later, Walter. Maybe twenty, thirty years, after the kids are done, more or less. I know, kids are never done. You've got a better chance then, though. And there's maybe a couple years between kids and grandkids... Just sayin'. Just never stand between a woman and her kids, at any age.

Dogwood
02-27-2010, 20:40
Things you wish you would/wouldn't have brought while hiking...

Other than when I was a beginner long distance hiker and simply wanting to go to lighter wt gear rarely to never do I carry too much or not enough.

Can honestly say, this really hasn't happened to me very much and really never anymore because I scrutinize every single piece of gear I take or might take on a hike. I go through this process by laying every single piece of gear and food out neatly on the floor. I go through multiple scenarios in my mind after researching where I'm going, when I'm going, how I hike, resupply pts, weather patterns, geography, trail terrain, remoteness, possible gear set-ups, etc. several times, adding or subtracting gear or food as I see fit. And, if need be, I've learned to adapt/survive while out on the trail. Try to have few regrets.

Rockhound
02-27-2010, 20:54
Things you wish you would/wouldn't have brought while hiking...

Other than when I was a beginner long distance hiker and simply wanting to go to lighter wt gear rarely to never do I carry too much or not enough.

Can honestly say, this really hasn't happened to me very much and really never anymore because I scrutinize every single piece of gear I take or might take on a hike. I go through this process by laying every single piece of gear and food out neatly on the floor. I go through multiple scenarios in my mind after researching where I'm going, when I'm going, how I hike, resupply pts, weather patterns, geography, trail terrain, remoteness, possible gear set-ups, etc. several times, adding or subtracting gear or food as I see fit. And, if need be, I've learned to adapt/survive while out on the trail. Try to have few regrets.
"I'm an excellent hiker. definitely a good hiker. Definitely. Dad let's me hike in the driveway. Definitely an excellent hiker." (in the voice of Rainman)

coffeearmageddon
02-27-2010, 21:16
Are you looking for answers from thruhikers only?

Nah. Just specify which you are.

Spirit Walker
02-27-2010, 22:20
On my first hike I carried candles and had them in my resupply box. I never ever used them. When it was dark, I slept. I think they are only useful in winter, when it's dark at 5:00.

Not Sunshine
02-27-2010, 22:56
"I'm an excellent hiker. definitely a good hiker. Definitely. Dad let's me hike in the driveway. Definitely an excellent hiker." (in the voice of Rainman)

also, the rocking motion forward and back forward and back.

gotta [hike] to kmart.

mikec
02-27-2010, 23:02
Here are some of the things that I carried on my first backpacking trip that I should not have:

A Bible
A 6 D Cell Flashlight
A Sterno Stove and 6 cans of Sterno.
A heavy tent and a heavy sleeping bag.

My pack was 75 pounds! I have since learned alot.

johnnybgood
02-27-2010, 23:15
Once carried a kidney stone on a hike with me , does that qualify ? I wished I hadn't because that made for an excruciating walk of god knows how long back to the car , some of which was crawling on hands and knees . Never before had I wished to see someone...anyone , like I did that day. Alas ,there was no one else hiking that trail on that day.

Things I wished that I had remembered to bring are a hat with a brim to protect my chrome dome on those partly cloudly days when there appears to be no :sun

Trailweaver
02-28-2010, 03:08
I can't imagine the pain of hiking with a kidney stone. . . my husband has them frequently, and he's in almost screaming pain with just a 15 minute ride to the ER from our house.

Doughnut
02-28-2010, 07:14
Candle lanterns?? Anyone carry them?

yes, the small tea candle one.

Erin
02-28-2010, 21:37
Section hiker only.
On my first hike, ever I carried too much food, a candle lantern, deodorant (!), a real flashlight (before headlamp time) canned beans and sardines and a wool sweater. The hardest thing to give up was the wool sweater. If we are car camping before a section, I take it and wear it in camp. It is so old, goes to mid thigh, has moth holes and is sooo warm.
I had friends that recently that got lost on a day hike. Experienced hikers. The lighter was the thing that allowed them to make a fire on a below freezing night.

sbhikes
03-01-2010, 11:32
I kept sending things home all the time. I realized it was stupid to carry around two jackets in the middle of summer. (I was on the PCT, I don't know what summer is like back east.)

When I lost my gloves I really missed them.

I despised my goretex hiking shoes instantly.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2010, 22:11
I usually do pretty good on equipment, although I am doing better. Have a two weeker on CDT coming up in June. What I usually bring that I regret, believe it or not is too much food. I end up giving it away, throwing it away or burning it up. I hope to really get it right this time.

The Unknown Hiker
05-28-2010, 13:59
Camp shoes. Found them useless. Funny thing was I already knew that, but lots of people told me how they had to have them at hostels and such. I never found that to be true.

Yaktrak. Never used them either.

For SOBOs I disagree about the camp shoes. If the weight is reasonable (under 10 ounces in my opinion) they are wonderful to wear around camp/shelter after you get those boots off.

Having said that, with all the streams to ford and mud to wallow through in Maine, I don't use the camp shoes. I just go ahead and go through with my main footgear. You are likely to go through so much mud that it just isn't worth it to take off your boots. At least the trail runners dry out faster.

Yaktrak are (IMHO) garbage if you have to hike more than a short distance on ice. I've used Katoola 10-point crampons. I think REI still sells them. The Katoolas are sturdy enough to hike where you have a mix of rock and ice. Worth a look.