Head Lamp-Petzel Tacktikka LED 2.7oz
2 4oz Fuel Cannisters-MSR IsoPro 8oz
Knife- Leatherman Micra 1.75oz
Bug Repellent ??
Compass-Sunta A10 .95oz
Storm Proof Matches/Flint 2.3oz
Compression Sack-SeaToSummit Ultra Sil 6L 2.4oz
Bear Bag-SeatToSummit Dry Sack 20L 1.8oz
Map/Book-AT Data Pages & AT Guide SoBo ??
Reading Book ??
MP3 Player-battery operated probably ??
Headphones-Senheisser PMX80 4.8oz
Phone/Charger ??
Soap&Handsanitizer-Dr Bronners 6oz
Toothpaste/Brush ??
Pen/Journal ??
Camera/Charger ??
Tent Repair Kit .25oz
Two Rolls of Toilet Paper ??

Clothes CARRIED:

Pants-Mountain Hardware Convertible- 14oz
2 Pair Sock/Liners- SmartWool Light Hiker- ??
Underwear- 1 ExOfficio Briefs- ??
Outer Layer- MH Terra- 17oz
Mid Layer- MH Compressor PL- 15oz
Base Layer- 2 Shirts-1 Long, 1 T 8oz
Hat- REI Explorer Hat ??
Gloves- City Sport Light 4oz
Rain Pants- REI Light Weight 11oz
Camp Shoes- Crocs CrosTrail 10oz

Excluding the question mark items which I dont think will add TOO much more, I think that makes my pack weight 22lbs, not including food.
I assume some of those items will also be carried on me at any given point.
I will be hiking in Asolo 520 boots which weight 3lb 12oz which I know are heavy but I need them for ankle support.
Also have Black Diamond Trail Shock Trekking Poles.

Anyway....Id appreciate if you see anything that I shouldnt have or that Im missing or that I should replace...looking to finalize my equipment so that I can continue the planning.

Thanks Team!

Tipi Walter
02-27-2010, 11:32
My only suggestion would be to take your Thermarest Z-Lite out in the backyard tonight and test it with your bag for an overnighter. Sleeping comfort is one of my big deals. You may find the Z to be too thin/cold.

Lyle
02-27-2010, 11:41
My quick comments. I've not thru hiked the AT but have done 3000+ long distance backpacking trip and have done over half of the AT as section hikes. Also, not sure if you own all this equipment yet or are just considering it, or what your financial situation is for replacing. So I will just go with comments for what you list, you will ultimately have to make your decision with all the above factors considered. :sun

Starting June 27th SoBo...

Pack-Gregory Baltoro 70- 5lb 9oz Kinda heavy. ULA is lighter, sturdy, comfortable
Tent-REI Quarter Tent T1- 3lb 6oz Again, heavy for a one-man. Did you check out the various Tarptent or other single wall options?
Footprint-REI Quarter T1- 13oz Polycryo or Tyvec would be lighter
Sleeping Bag-Marmot Never Winter 30+ 2lb 2oz
Sleeping Pad-ThermaRest Z-lite Small 10oz
Water Filter-MSR MiniworksEx 14.6oz Heavy, bulky. AquaMira works great and is light and compact
Stove- MSR SuperFly 4.6oz
Pot-MSR .9L Titatnium 4.9oz
First Aid Kit-Advntr Medical Kit .7 6.5oz
Utensil- REI Spork .5oz
Lantern(w/o battery)-Coleman LED 8oz
4 AA Battiers- 4.4oz Leave home
Pack Cover-Gregory Seam Seal 3oz
Water Bottle-Platypus 1L .8oz
Water Bottle-Platypus3L 4oz
Rope&2 short bungee cords ?? Bungee cords are heavy and don't secure things well. 1/8" nylon cord is much more versatile. I use mason's cord and have been very pleased with the results. If used for bearbagging, use a biner and extra length cord to avoid cutting into the tree branches or damaging the bark
Towel-REI Towel Large 4.7oz cut in half or quarters
Bug Repellent ??
Compass-Sunta A10 .95oz
Reading Book ??
Phone/Charger ??
Toothpaste/Brush ??
Pen/Journal ??
Camera/Charger ??
Tent Repair Kit .25oz
Two Rolls of Toilet Paper ?? only one at a time needed, actually only a partial roll. I will take a partial roll from a motel or hostel. Replace it with a full roll you buy at the store, but don't want to carry

Clothes CARRIED:

Underwear- 1 ExOfficio Briefs- ?? Not needed, but personal choice
Hat- REI Explorer Hat ??

How about some longjohn bottoms of some sort, or did I miss them?
Coffee cup? Not possible to hike without a coffee cup!

Excluding the question mark items which I dont think will add TOO much more, I think that makes my pack weight 22lbs, not including food.
I will be hiking in Asolo 520 boots which weight 3lb 12oz which I know are heavy but I need them for ankle support. If you've never tried backpacking in trail runners, you may be surprised how little support boots actually give you.

Anyway....Id appreciate if you see anything that I shouldnt have or that Im missing or that I should replace...looking to finalize my equipment so that I can continue the planning.

Thanks Team!

Just my off the top of my head comments. Nothing you listed will NOT work, but you could lighten up some more if you want.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

SGT Rock
02-27-2010, 12:07
I don't know what you already have and have been using. So take some of my recommendations with a grain of salt that they may be wrong for you. And no offense is meant when I make these. I also rearranged some of your list to put into my gear piles with the way I think of stuff working together.

Starting June 27th SoBo...
Pack
Pack-Gregory Baltoro 70- 5lb 9oz
Pack Cover-Gregory Seam Seal 3oz
You could probably change that pack to something around a Conduit and save yourself about 2 1/2 pounds.

Shelter
Tent-REI Quarter Tent T1- 3lb 6oz
Footprint-REI Quarter T1- 13oz
Another thing you could probably change and save some weight. There are tent options out there that would save you about a pound. A Polycro sheet for a footprint is tough, but small and light and would bring you down to about 1.4 ounces, saving you about 3/4 of a pound.

Sleeping
Sleeping Bag-Marmot Never Winter 30+ 2lb 2oz
Sleeping Pad-ThermaRest Z-lite Small 10oz
Those will do fine. You could save some weight here, but not by much and probably not worth the last minute expense.

Water
Water Filter-MSR MiniworksEx 14.6oz
Water Bottle-Platypus 1L .8oz
Water Bottle-Platypus3L 4oz
IMHO filters are overkill on the AT. Chemical treatments or UV will save you 10 ounces.

Kitchen
Stove- MSR SuperFly 4.6oz
Pot-MSR .9L Titatnium 4.9oz
Utensil- REI Spork .5oz

Looks good

Misc
Pen/Journal ??
Camera/Charger ??
Tent Repair Kit .25oz
Rope&2 short bungee cords ??
Reading Book ??
Phone/Charger ??
First Aid Kit-Advntr Medical Kit .7 6.5oz
You could probably cut that first aid kit down some. You can get ear buds which are light and less likely to get messed up.

Navigation
Lantern(w/o battery)-Coleman LED 8oz
4 AA Battiers- 4.4oz
Compass-Sunta A10 .95oz

I'd leave the lantern at home. You can do everything with the headlamp, and that would me less batteries to supply with and less redundant weight to carry. I'm also a big believer in maps.

Hygiene
Towel-REI Towel Large 4.7oz
Bug Repellent ??
Toothpaste/Brush ??
Two Rolls of Toilet Paper ??

You could probably carry half that amount of soap and dig holes with a hiking stick. I'd also carry about 1/4 of that towel.

When you say carried, do you mean in your pack? I will assume so on these reccomendations

Clothes CARRIED:
Spare clothing
Hat- REI Explorer Hat ??
Underwear- 1 ExOfficio Briefs- ??
I wouldn't carry a pair of convertible pants. I would hike in shorts and use my rain pants when you felt you need something for the legs.

Rain gear
Should work out fine.

Base layer

I would have some long pants. I would also only have one short T. If this isn't the one you are wearing, I would leave it. If it is the one you are wearing then cool. I would also add a knit hat of some sort.

That looks like a nice jacket.

Those little things add up fast. When I did my first spreadsheet I didn't ass in my zip-lock bags thinking they didn't weigh that much. On a whim I weighed them one day and found I had over a pound in zip-lock bags. After that I weigh everything. Believe me.

Clothing worn/items carried
I will be hiking in Asolo 520 boots which weight 3lb 12oz which I know are heavy but I need them for ankle support.
Take it from me, a guy that has had a lot of ankle injuries (I have a VA disability for my ankles) that heavy boots don't equal good ankle support. I use lace up braces on both legs now. If I would have had one on both ankles in 2008 I would have been fine, as it was I was only wearing one on my left ankle as I injured it bad in Iraq in 2007 and was still doing re-hab for it when I hit the trail. Something like this:
http://www.footsmart.com/product.aspx?productid=123&mr:trackingCode=400C9B50-A3F4-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&srccode=WBGOOGLE&sisearchengine=55&siproduct=affiliate&clearppc=1&cm_mmc=Perf-_-k232270-_-na-_-na
and a pair of comfortable trail runners works best for me. You know yourself better than me, so take that for what it is worth. I have a heavy pair of Asolo boots sitting in my closet that I haven't worn in 10 years because of that.
As for other gear to wear, Maybe those zip off pants and short T go down here. If so, then you are probably on top of it.

Thanks Team!

Your list looks pretty complete. I'd carry add duct tape. Other than that, many recommendations I made or changed I didn't but would if it were me are just for style and preference.

I carried a book for weeks and never read it. I dropped it and started carrying sodoku or crosswords and then started using those. You may find it works the same for you.

Looks like you will be healthy and safe. Have a great hike.:cool:

SKessler
02-27-2010, 12:36
The best advice I can give is to take all your gear out for a weekend or overnighter. Look at what is absolutely necessary, then what is just "nice to have." Add up the weight in the "nice to have" pile and see if it is justified. If you like everything and don't think the weight is a problem, then it looks like you are pretty set. I don't see anything major that you have omitted.

Kudos to Sgt. Rock. Good advice. There are many other lighter options for some of your choices. I would look at some other water options. Also, consider just some nylon cord/parachute cord instead of bungee cord. There will be lots of uses for it for sure. I couldn't justify 8oz for a lanter, but that is because I don't use them, just a fire or a headlamp...

Just some things to consider. Looking forward to going SOBO too! :-)

Spot In The Sky
02-28-2010, 01:31
Whatever revisions I make, if I weigh around 170lb at 5'10, what should my pack weigh after 5 days of food? Or better question, how much weight do people allow for food for 5 days (assuming thats the normal distance between resupply for hikers).

Mountain Wildman
02-28-2010, 01:37
I keep hearing 2 pounds of food per day

Praha4
02-28-2010, 02:39
Sgt Rock had very constructive comments on your list. Here's just a couple more questions/comments:

(1) how does MH Terra compare to the MH Typhoon? I use the MH Typhoon, made of Goretex paclite, iThyphoon is about the same weight as the Terra, and I love the Typhoon.... just curious if there are any major differences tween Terra and GTX Paclite

(2) The MH Compressor looks like a nice synthetic insulated jacket, but how cold is it in Maine/NH at nite in late June, early July? I'm sure you could use it by the time you get to the Smokies in late Oct/November. I was just curious if just a light fleece jacket would do for summer nights in NE. Some of the reviews at Trailspace would question this jacket's durability.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/compressor-pl-jacket/ (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/compressor-pl-jacket/)

I've been using a Patagonia R2 Regulator fleece jacket for a midlayer. Not a criticism of your list, just asking why you like that jacket.

good luck, maybe will see u on the trail this summer!

Spot In The Sky
02-28-2010, 05:09
Sgt Rock had very constructive comments on your list. Here's just a couple more questions/comments:

(1) how does MH Terra compare to the MH Typhoon? I use the MH Typhoon, made of Goretex paclite, iThyphoon is about the same weight as the Terra, and I love the Typhoon.... just curious if there are any major differences tween Terra and GTX Paclite

(2) The MH Compressor looks like a nice synthetic insulated jacket, but how cold is it in Maine/NH at nite in late June, early July? I'm sure you could use it by the time you get to the Smokies in late Oct/November. I was just curious if just a light fleece jacket would do for summer nights in NE. Some of the reviews at Trailspace would question this jacket's durability.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/compressor-pl-jacket/ (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/compressor-pl-jacket/)

I've been using a Patagonia R2 Regulator fleece jacket for a midlayer. Not a criticism of your list, just asking why you like that jacket.

good luck, maybe will see u on the trail this summer!

Well I currently have, and hike in, the REI Muir Fleece which is amazingly comfy and warm, but it is 23ounces, compared to the MH Compressor of 15oz, and it only has the 2 outside pockets so its not very "technical" so I was advised that for less weight I could get better warmth from the Compressor, which I believe to be true, granted it is $100 more. My current fleece does not handle water well and I think the Compressor would be more reliable if it were to get wet.
Which do you think I should go with? Saving 5oz for $100, is that a good idea????

SGT Rock
02-28-2010, 08:09
Whatever revisions I make, if I weigh around 170lb at 5'10, what should my pack weigh after 5 days of food? Or better question, how much weight do people allow for food for 5 days (assuming thats the normal distance between resupply for hikers).

Just a guesstimate. But at 170, assuming you have about 20% body fat, your optimal load should be a total weight of everything worn and carried of about 34 pounds. Carry a quart of water, 2 pounds of food a day, and about 1 pound of fuel for your stove, that means to be "optimal" your base weight for everything worn and carried should be 21 pounds or less.

That said, I don't know your actual fitness level, body fat content, average mileage, and a bunch of other stuff. That is only beer math that came up with that.

Well I currently have, and hike in, the REI Muir Fleece which is amazingly comfy and warm, but it is 23ounces, compared to the MH Compressor of 15oz, and it only has the 2 outside pockets so its not very "technical" so I was advised that for less weight I could get better warmth from the Compressor, which I believe to be true, granted it is $100 more. My current fleece does not handle water well and I think the Compressor would be more reliable if it were to get wet.
Which do you think I should go with? Saving 5oz for $100, is that a good idea????

FWIW, I rarely ever hike in fleece. Learning how to stay warm on the trail is a bit of a learning curve and it is different for everyone, so take this advice with a grain of salt when I say it.

When walking, most of the time you will generate enough heat to stay warm. Wear some fleece and you will sweat which actually makes it harder to stay warm later. I've found that hiking in the 30s and 40s in shorts and a T shirt works, and if it is windy, then I wear a wind shirt and maybe my rain pants. I keep the fleece on top of my pack so I can don it when I stop for breaks to maintain that body heat. I put it on even if I already feel warm but know it is cold because once you lose that heat, it takes time to get warm again. That said, there is always an exception. I have hiked in my fleece a time or two, but try not to. and also, FWIW, I started in January.

Starting from camp in the mornings is sometimes the hardest for me to shuck the fleece because I like being warm. But I know it is better to leave camp cool than it is to start warm. But if I can't screw up the courage to take the fleece off before leaving camp, then I plan at about 15 minutes down the trail to stop and take it off.

When I hit camp at the end of the day, I usually break the fleece out before I do anything else (when I know it is cold). Then I do camp chores. I keep my jacket similar to your Compressor for when it gets cold in camp. I use a Western Mountaineering down jacket now, but for my hike it was a simple Army field jacket liner. I've tried a lot of different fleece, but find lofted insulation packs better, and is warmer ounce for ounce than fleece. I'd try sticking with what you have and see how that works out.

Seeker
02-28-2010, 09:39
A cigarette lighter. I find I can only carry a few matches before the weight and bulk get out of balance with the lighter's weight and bulk. No issue with it getting wet either. Just my 2 cents.

quasarr
03-02-2010, 18:40
some great advice in this thread already, I'll add what I haven't seen yet. Also I second everything Sgt. Rock said.

- ditch the gloves. it won't be cold enough for them.

- ditch the hat. even in New England you won't spend much time above the trees. unless you're bald you don't need a sun hat. I used a bandanna.

- ditch the crocs and mail the rain pants ahead to the Whites. they're only good when it's raining and COLD, otherwise you'll sweat so much you might as well just get wet. Some people liked crocs for fording rivers in Maine but for me the weight wasn't worth it. most days my feet got soaked anyway from rain & puddles.

- seam seal will NOT waterproof your backpack! Since you already have the Sea to Summit dry bags you should be fine.

- I agree that you could easily save a few pounds by switching out your backpack and tent. However if you keep the tent, I would ditch the footprint. Just be careful where you set up the tent and a ground cloth is not necessary.

- phone - some phones can double as your camera and mp3 player. if you're up to renew your contract try and get a nice free one!