PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire

refreshingly brazen
02-27-2010, 11:56
I would like to hike part of the AT in New Hampshire. My plan is to hike approximately 30 miles and spend no more than 3 nights on the ground. For those of you who have hiked all of NH, what 30 mile stretch do you recommend? Please include the shelters and cool things to see (Lemon Squeeze, etc.)

Thanks!

modiyooch
02-27-2010, 12:43
In the Whites, you can do any of those stretches from road to road in that timeframe. They are all awesome stretches. and tough.

Tinker
02-27-2010, 18:23
My favorite part of the AT in NH is where you see that little sign that says "Welcome to Maine, the way life should be".
Honestly, though, if you're in good shape, start at Pinkham Notch and hike north over the Carter and Moriah ranges, then cross Rte 2 and hike into Maine. Lots of great views. Gentian Pond shelter is my favorite NH shelter. There is swimming in the pond, too.
The one problem doing this stretch is that it may take more than three nights, and you're left at the NH/Me border having to take a side trail (Carlo Col, I think) to a dirt logging road in the middle of nowhere in Maine (or take another day or two - probably two) and do it right and hike Mahoosuc Notch, up the Arm and Old Speck (another nice swimming spot - at the shelter), and out to Grafton Notch.

modiyooch
02-27-2010, 18:52
My favorite part of the AT in NH is where you see that little sign that says "Welcome to Maine, the way life should be".
Honestly, though, if you're in good shape, start at Pinkham Notch and hike north over the Carter and Moriah ranges, then cross Rte 2 and hike into Maine. Lots of great views. Gentian Pond shelter is my favorite NH shelter. There is swimming in the pond, too.
The one problem doing this stretch is that it may take more than three nights, and you're left at the NH/Me border having to take a side trail (Carlo Col, I think) to a dirt logging road in the middle of nowhere in Maine (or take another day or two - probably two) and do it right and hike Mahoosuc Notch, up the Arm and Old Speck (another nice swimming spot - at the shelter), and out to Grafton Notch.
and keep on going all the way to Kathadin...

Kerosene
02-27-2010, 19:09
NH from the Connecticut River and Glencliff is really different than from Glencliff to Maine.

It's about 30 miles from Glencliff to Hanover, but that is a pretty easy walk relative to the Whites.

Another option would be to go from Glencliff to Franconia Notch, which has one very tough climb going up (NOBO) South Kinsman. This is about a 26-mile section, but it's difficult to average more than 1.5 mph for the stretch due to the rocks, roots and difficulty.

A third option is Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch, which traverses Franconia Ridge above treeline for 5 miles. This stretch is about 27 miles, but the northern portion from Zealand Hut is pretty easy.

The fourth option is the 26 miles from Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. You'll summit Mt. Washington in this section, and there's about 12 miles above treeline. Again, the rocks, and any bad weather, will greatly impact your typical hiking pace.

I'll leave others, such as Tinker above, describe the northernmost section as I haven't gotten there yet.

Jeff
02-28-2010, 13:08
One nice thing about section hiking in the White is the ability to use the AMC shuttle. It sure makes it easy to get back to your car.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

refreshingly brazen
02-28-2010, 15:46
Thanks! Besides the obvious (just being in the woods...) what were the coolest things you saw/experienced?

BigFoot2002
02-28-2010, 17:15
Franconia Ridge

modiyooch
02-28-2010, 20:46
picturesque view of mt washington after summitting. Crossed during a snow storm. Later, the skies cleared and the view was awesome. It was earned.
Crossed Franconia ridge on a clear day, too. Beautiful.

Kerosene
02-28-2010, 21:50
what were the coolest things you saw/experienced?
Beaver Brook Falls
Ascending South Kinsman
View across Franconia Notch to Franconia Ridge on a clear day
Sunset over North Kinsman from Liberty Spring Tentsite
Traversing Franconia Ridge on a perfect morning
Having a crow fly by my rest perch close enough that I could hear the wind in its wings as it passed
Zealand Pond (just off the AT on a blue-blaze)
Climbing Webster Cliffs in the fog
Summiting Mt. Washington on a perfect, warm September morning with no wind
Lunching on Monticello Lawn
Mid-afternoon soup breaks at the Lonesome Lake, Mizpah Spring, and Madison Spring Huts

I was fortunate to capture several memorable pictures from my September 2006 section hike. If this link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=30313) doesn't work, then do an Advanced Search for "2006" and Kerosene.