PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle options from Deep Gap to Springer

mr. grinch
02-27-2010, 22:23
I'm planning a thru hike for the September/October time frame and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the shuttle options from the North back to Springer. Thanks.

tagg
02-27-2010, 23:36
i'd bet cool breeze (at mt. crossings in neel gap) would be willing to help you out.

Cool AT Breeze
02-27-2010, 23:51
I shuttle all of the AT and BMT in GA.

Trailweaver
02-28-2010, 02:45
Also available is the Hiker Hostel - hikerhostel.com - they shuttle all of GA's AT and run a fine hostel for the hikers and bikers of the area. Serve a great breakfast, too!

SGT Rock
02-28-2010, 08:21
Best options may mean connecting shuttles. I'd start by contacting Curtis at Standing Bear which is pretty much right where you get off the trail. He probably knows someone that he uses regularly to link shuttles down to Amicalola falls and get you back to your car. Another shuttler that may do it all in once section is Jeff Hoch at the Hike Inn. He is about center mass of the trail and may make it to both ends for you.

SGT Rock
02-28-2010, 08:27
I'm planning a thru hike for the September/October time frame and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the shuttle options from the North back to Springer. Thanks.

Hey, I just got an order from Green Cove Springs. Is that you?

There are about 6 shuttle providers listed in the guide, along with some information about what areas they normally cover.

Should I make the note out to Mr Grinch or your real name?:D

mr. grinch
03-06-2010, 15:46
Yes. That was me in Green Cove Springs. I just received your guide. Great job with this. Very well done. Nice of you to put the note on the inside cover. As it gets closer to the end of summer I will start to contact some of the folks you listed in your guide. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I incorrectly put Deep Gap rather than Davenport Gap in the thread title when I posted it.

Cuffs
03-06-2010, 16:27
Grinch,

As of right now, Im on schedule to do a NOBO BMT thru hike in September. Probably starting the first week of the month. Not sure what your exact plans are, but we might be able to work out a shuttle for ourselves??

mr. grinch
03-07-2010, 05:15
I have not planned what week I will leave yet. I have some flexibility. That might work.

SGT Rock
03-07-2010, 17:36
Glad it worked out for you. I just got back from clearing blow downs. We have had a lot up on the ridges in the Cherokee forest, but I haven't been on that team. I cleared 129 south almost to Farr gap and got 16 cut and/or cleared. Also found some new information I plan to put in an errata sheet you can print out and put in your guide before you start.

But basically the old Jenkins Store in Topoco (Earl Schafer stopped there in 1948) has finally been bought and is back in business as the Faucet Side Grill. They were closed today so no hours or services I can list yet....

And at the Inn at Deals Gap they have a free phone for local calls outside for people to use and said it wasn't a problem for hikers to stop and use it to call Fontana for a shuttle, so that makes it VERY nice for re-supply now as there wasn't a good way for a long time in that area. The phone is between room 8 and 9 and is even up and in service during the off season, so even winter hikers can use the phone though the place is closed to get a ride to Fontana - provided their shuttle van is available. Or you might be able to get the Hike Inn to do it, but in the off season you better have it worked out in advance.

SGT Rock
03-07-2010, 18:12
I also ran into Serial, he is doing a thru-hike. That makes number 3 this year if my count is accurate.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2010, 15:24
I also ran into Serial, he is doing a thru-hike. That makes number 3 this year if my count is accurate.

Im sure he had a big smile on his face as usual. :D

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 16:53
He did. But in my experience with Serial, it would be hard to get him to stop smiling.