PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite states?

coffeearmageddon
02-27-2010, 22:39
If you had to choose just a few states as your favorite on the AT, which would you choose and why? Which were the most scenic? The easiest?

I'm going on a 3 month hike this summer and I'm trying to figure out what part of the trail I should do.

Blissful
02-27-2010, 23:07
I liked them all. They were each unique and interesting. I had no favorite per say. But if I were you, I'd hike from Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin. You can do it in three months. It is the toughest part (NH and ME) but the most scenic. You won't contend with the humidity etc of the south. And you'll be in shape by the time you get to the hard stuff.

coffeearmageddon
02-27-2010, 23:18
Thanks, Blissful, thats very helpful.

modiyooch
02-28-2010, 13:37
Maine..........

Rockhound
02-28-2010, 16:13
confusion, insanity and intoxication are my three favorite states in which to hike.

Jim Adams
02-28-2010, 16:49
confusion, insanity and intoxication are my three favorite states in which to hike.

...we need to hike together sometime!:D

geek

Tagless
02-28-2010, 19:24
I liked them all. They were each unique and interesting. I had no favorite per say. But if I were you, I'd hike from Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin. You can do it in three months. It is the toughest part (NH and ME) but the most scenic. You won't contend with the humidity etc of the south. And you'll be in shape by the time you get to the hard stuff.

Blissful offers GREAT advice. In addition, you will get to meet a lot of thru hikers.

If I had to pick one favorite state, it would be Maine without a doubt.

wtmntcaretaker
02-28-2010, 19:29
I liked PA... it was like dancing!

wtmntcaretaker
02-28-2010, 19:33
oh! do the grayson highlands, VA! ponies. and big rocks to climb on and very scenic.

gumball
02-28-2010, 19:35
I liked PA... it was like dancing!

Lol. That's a postive spin.

I favor the Grayson Highlands as well, so far my favorite piece. I like MD, because it was pretty easy and I loved walking in to Harper's Ferry. I have yet to go north of the Connecticut line, so I'll look forward to more favorites.

Chaco Taco
02-28-2010, 20:19
1. VT, NH ME
2. NC.TN, 1st quarter of Va

fredmugs
03-01-2010, 13:34
If you had to choose just a few states as your favorite on the AT, which would you choose and why? Which were the most scenic? The easiest?

I'm going on a 3 month hike this summer and I'm trying to figure out what part of the trail I should do.

I like the all except the ones that start with a P

Dogwood
03-01-2010, 15:33

So, you are going to base a 3 month hike on a consensus of what may or may not be agreed upon here?

Are you going to do a continuous 3 month AT hike or perhaps leap frog around? Are you going to do what you think is the easiest and scenic? Or base what you think is the easiest/hardest and scenic/less scenic on the answers proveded here? Not to be a PITA, but knowing these things might influence folk's answers. Kind of makes a difference, don't you think?

The Snowman
03-01-2010, 18:11
I like Conn. not just because its home but because of the play between Mt. and river. hike up a Mt hike down to the river repeat endlessly. NH and Tenn are great as well.

Ender
03-01-2010, 18:21

Agreed... that would be the section I'd re-hike again if I had 3 months to.

I like Conn. not just because its home but because of the play between Mt. and river. hike up a Mt hike down to the river repeat endlessly. NH and Tenn are great as well.

Also agreed. I found CT to be fascinating, and much more difficult than I expected. It was like walking along the length of a zipper... up down up down up down. But, the sections up top, and the sections down low at the rivers were both fantastic.

garlic08
03-01-2010, 20:45
I liked New York. It had the best food and the most delis per mile.

modiyooch
03-01-2010, 21:48
I liked New York. It had the best food and the most delis per mile.oh, the deli hike. I remember it well.
I have more of an appreciation for the state of NJ, now that I have hiked it.

modiyooch
03-01-2010, 21:50
I liked New York. It had the best food and the most delis per mile. My problem with NY was that I carried too much food. I didn't know I would be stopping at a deli each day.

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2010, 22:57
If you have three months you could do several discontinuous sections. Depending on what part of the summer you'll be hiking, you might want to start somewhere where it's not too hot and not too strenuous to get your hiking legs.

Tinker
03-01-2010, 23:55
...we need to hike together sometime!:D

geek
You may have already :rolleyes:. (Of course you might not remember it :D).

Tinker
03-01-2010, 23:57
I liked New York. It had the best food and the most delis per mile.
Yes, and the easiest state so far (mid NJ to Katahdin - and Georgia - to date).
Most of Ma. and Conn. were easy, too.

prain4u
03-02-2010, 05:22
My favorite States are:

A State of Relaxation

A State of Calm

A State of Insanity