PDA

View Full Version : Worst/best pranks on the AT?

trailangelbronco
02-28-2010, 00:57
Never thru hiked, but have sectioned Maine, New Hampshire and Mass.

Worst. A man and wife had all of there clothes stolen while they were skinny dipping in Maine. They were left on the trail about 3 miles southbound.
Me and my buddy brought the clothes back to them, we were norbound and put two and two together when we found them shivering by their packs.

Best. Prank reversal. As many know, it is customary to moon the MT Washington Train tourists as they ride by on the cog train.
The conductor pulled a pellet pistol and shot a guy in the arse with it. Heck of a good shot from a moving stance. Had to be there, but funny as all heck.

veteran
02-28-2010, 09:13
Put a 6-Pack of Beer in your hiking buddy’s Pack.

fehchet
02-28-2010, 10:30
Best prank is no prank.

white_russian
02-28-2010, 10:33
Best. Prank reversal. As many know, it is customary to moon the MT Washington Train tourists as they ride by on the cog train.
The conductor pulled a pellet pistol and shot a guy in the arse with it. Heck of a good shot from a moving stance. Had to be there, but funny as all heck.
Now that is just taking it too far. Throwing lumps of coal at hikers is acceptable, but just because someone throws like a girl doesn't mean they can start shooting at us.

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2010, 10:51
The funniest one I heard was when Pirate was telling hikers in GA that they needed to sign up for their Katadin Summit permits. Several hikers actually thought he was serious and started calculating the exact day and time they would be making it to the top of Katadin.

prain4u
02-28-2010, 23:57
Moving all of the white blazes on the entire AT three miles to the west. It would really mess with the minds of folks who try to navigate using a GPS device.

Tuckahoe
03-01-2010, 00:26

Ummm yeah, that assault just isnt cool and is just plain wrong.

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 00:54
Didnt someone dig a hole under Baltimore JAcks tent one year at TD's?

Cool AT Breeze
03-01-2010, 00:59
Yes. And one year someone put a roadkill groundhog in his pack at trail days. Jack slept with it a couple nights befor he figured it out. I've seen a picture of him washing his pack at the carwash.

RGB
03-01-2010, 01:15
Yes. And one year someone put a roadkill groundhog in his pack at trail days. Jack slept with it a couple nights befor he figured it out. I've seen a picture of him washing his pack at the carwash.

That's just mean, and potentially dangerous.

Elder
03-01-2010, 01:21
That's just mean, and potentially dangerous.
:-? Why?
The Groundhog was already dead. :eek:

sorry Jack :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2010, 01:28

Must have been a cowboy in a former life, there were no lazer's involved coming from the sharks heads..... (Austin Powers)

RGB
03-01-2010, 02:48
:-? Why?
The Groundhog was already dead. :eek:

sorry Jack :rolleyes:

I'm no scientist, but usually decomposing dead stuff has a lot bacteria and other pathogens in it. Something I would not want in my food. Which would most likely be in my pack. That's just me though, some might like to be potentially put off the trail due to projectile vomit and explosive diarrhea.

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 09:39
I'm no scientist, but usually decomposing dead stuff has a lot bacteria and other pathogens in it. Something I would not want in my food. Which would most likely be in my pack. That's just me though, some might like to be potentially put off the trail due to projectile vomit and explosive diarrhea.

Why? I can Vomit and Crap in the woods almost as well as I do at home. I'm training.

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 09:44

Well hes obviously ok. Relax:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 09:45

So does the water most of us drink on the trail:rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
03-01-2010, 09:48

To me, that's not a prank, that's just stupid.

Your mileage may vary.

Rockhound
03-01-2010, 09:59
I think it requires a small % of the population to feel something is stupid for it to be truly funny. Lighten up Frances. Of course I'm not sure which is funnier. The roadkill in the pack or the fact that it took him 2 days to figure it out.

berkshirebirder
03-01-2010, 10:10
The question is did JACK think it was funny.

Elder
03-01-2010, 10:27
Do ya'll not realize how offensive that was..

to the poor dead groundhog!

dmax
03-01-2010, 10:33
A friend of mine didn't have a zero bag for this winter. I had an extra that I hadn't used before. I sent it to him and he sent me some cool nascar stuff.

He was going to use it on a trip in Ga. So I decided to do a little prank.

After Halloween I bought a package of rubber mice for 50 cents. It had about 40 of them in there. So I decided to drop two into the bottom of the bag. And I made sure they were all the way at the bottom.

He found them a couple of weeks later. But not on the trail....:(
He was working at a nascar shop over x-mas and spent the night in the shop. Thats where he just about had his heartattack...:D

Now he has me worried. He keeps asking if I want to do an overnighter sometime...Should I be worried?

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 10:57
To me, that's not a prank, that's just stupid.

Your mileage may vary.

Watch out, you may be next

randyg45
03-01-2010, 11:05
Well, it isn't trail-related, but it is about drunks, so maybe you'll cut me some slack.

An AA friend of mine, several years sober at the time of this prank (and a couple decades more now) was off deer hunting with several buddies. Some of them had doe tags, some didn't. They decided pretty much each to try to take a deer regardless of sex and figure out the tags back in camp. When they regrouped they found out they had one too many does, so they went off to find an unlucky hunter with an extra tag.

They found a guy sleeping in his truck. They tried to wake him up and found out he was passed out, essentially comatose. And they found his tag.

When the guy came to he found a dressed doe in the bed of his truck, his tag in its ear, and three shots fired from his rifle.....

Maybe you just have to be a sober alcoholic with a history of blackouts (like me); but trust me, if you are, that's just hilarious.

And it just might have helped the guy quit, too......

tagg
03-01-2010, 11:08
Lighten up Frances.

great quote, pebble puppy - i love that movie!

nufsaid
03-01-2010, 11:11

If you ASSault the train it is not cool and is just plain wrong.

trailangelbronco
03-01-2010, 11:24
I once knew a goodguy who was also quite a drunk. He swears that he once blacked out drunk and woke up in a Mexican airport,and couldn't remember how he got there.

That's when he found AA,attended 365 meetings in 365 days, and sobered up.

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 11:26
I guess one of the classic pranks is throwing a few rocks in someones pack.

Gray Blazer
03-01-2010, 12:01
Watch out, you may be next

I'm a moron. I prolly wouldn't get it anyways.

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 12:02
I'm a moron. I prolly wouldn't get it anyways.

So everyone, we have to get Gray Blazer good at Trail days this year:D I know where he will be when he is in Damascus if he is going this year

Rockhound
03-01-2010, 12:03
This whole thing with Jack and the groundhog I still don't get. Why would anyone get mad if you put free food in their pack?

Gray Blazer
03-01-2010, 12:03
So everyone, we have to get Gray Blazer good at Trail days this year:D I know where he will be when he is in Damascus if he is going this year

Oh no, you didn't!:D

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 12:07
Oh no, you didn't!:D

You have no idea

Gray Blazer
03-01-2010, 12:08
You have no idea

Not anymore.

RGB
03-01-2010, 17:30
So does the water most of us drink on the trail:rolleyes:

Not if you know how to treat it. When you do a prank (which I am a fan of, despite what my posts may indicate), you have to gauge the target's sense of humor. In other words, you have to know when you're going too far. Never met Jack, so he may have thought it was hilarious. The second I found it in there I would have found the culprit and made him eat it, that is if I could retrain my initial reactions of verbal abuse and violence.

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 17:49
If I recall the story correctly I believe that the response involved a farm animal.

Disney
03-01-2010, 17:52

Yeah. It was in 2007. Hangman outlined his tent, then took it down and dug a whole about a foot and a half down and put the tent back up. Late late that night, as Jack staggers away from billville, an unnatural (for billville) silence fell as we all waited for the inevitable. Jack apparently sat at the entrance of his tent, did whatever it was he needed to do, and then flopped backward onto his bedroll. The floor caved in and the tent collapsed around him. "I'M GOIN TO HELL!!" Cried Jack, and then paused, hearing the laughter. The laughter subsided quickly so as to hear his reaction. Jack paused, and then said flatly: "Someone is going to f'ing die." More laughter, and a lot more beer.

Monkeyboy
03-02-2010, 12:34
I don't remember who it was that :

1.) Drew a chaulk outline of a body in a shelter.

2.) Mounted a wall telephone in a shelter.

3.) Mounted a water faucet to the side of a shelter.

Funny as all getout, whoever did it.

Elder
03-02-2010, 13:02
Don't forget the electric outlets at shelters. :eek:

:cool: We know who you are.

photojojo
03-02-2010, 13:14
lol..I think???

sasquatch2014
03-02-2010, 13:40
Coming north of the RPH shelter in NY you came up over a rise and on a small knoll was a flock of about 6 Pink Flamingos. They were just sitting up on this knoll. Well overtime they began to migrate along the trail and were at one point seen around the Morgan Stewart shelter and just a few weeks ago as I hiked up to Telephone Pioneer shelter there was the last Flamingo greeting me at the shelter turn off. They don't do so well in the snow and cold so for all i know they have migrated south.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3332_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39421&c=member&imageuser=13750)

NorthCountryWoods
03-02-2010, 14:15
I guess one of the classic pranks is throwing a few rocks in someones pack.

A group of friends have a little 4-5lb bronze anchor/drift that makes the rounds thru the hiking parties packs unknown to the carrier. The one who carries it the farthest gets a free meal at the end of the hike. I was tricked the first time and carried it from the northern end of the 100 mile wilderness to the New Hampshire line.

They were smart and stuck it in the bottom pack cover (which I didn't have) pocket. I found it by shaking out my pack after an extremely muddy day and it ended up falling out and breaking the toe of the girl that snuck it in.

berkshirebirder
03-02-2010, 15:13
Revenge is a dish best served cold, Northcountry.

RGB
03-02-2010, 15:17
A group of friends have a little 4-5lb bronze anchor/drift that makes the rounds thru the hiking parties packs unknown to the carrier. The one who carries it the farthest gets a free meal at the end of the hike. I was tricked the first time and carried it from the northern end of the 100 mile wilderness to the New Hampshire line.

They were smart and stuck it in the bottom pack cover (which I didn't have) pocket. I found it by shaking out my pack after an extremely muddy day and it ended up falling out and breaking the toe of the girl that snuck it in.

Now that's poetic. :rolleyes:

tscoffey
03-02-2010, 15:44
They decided pretty much each to try to take a deer regardless of sex

Not too sure, but I think this probably makes the deer quite frustrated.

hellomolly
03-05-2010, 14:59
Coming north of the RPH shelter in NY you came up over a rise and on a small knoll was a flock of about 6 Pink Flamingos. They were just sitting up on this knoll. Well overtime they began to migrate along the trail and were at one point seen around the Morgan Stewart shelter and just a few weeks ago as I hiked up to Telephone Pioneer shelter there was the last Flamingo greeting me at the shelter turn off. They don't do so well in the snow and cold so for all i know they have migrated south.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3332_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39421&c=member&imageuser=13750)

THAT is hilarious!

fiatspider2000
03-08-2010, 16:20
The best prank was the death moose at Mahosic Notch by Mother Nature, cruel but effective.

Pacific Tortuga
03-08-2010, 16:47
I was with some FF friends in Lake Tahoe on a trek.
One FF, Mike, always had to drain himself, when we were out on a call or inspection, didn't seem to care. We all knew his reputation.
On the third day of a two week trip one guy placed the old, rock in bag trick, on Mike.
Towards the end we were lounging in the sun near a creek. I fell asleep.
I felt warm liquid falling on my face and quickly jumped up. Just in time to see Mike zip his fly. It almost came to blows, then, they all started laughing.
Miked had heated up some water in his 'non-human' bladder and ran the hose down his pants.
That payback ended my prank riddled life.

Jester2000
03-08-2010, 17:01

As mentioned, it was Hangman, with the help of Funkee Munkee, who had a tent full of trail maintaining tools. And what Jack yelled was "what a basketful of ********!" Which is one of the funniest exclamations ever. Jack then proceeded to threaten to throw The Dude in the fire (the only person there who had no idea what was going on). Then he accused me of being involved. By the morning he thought it was pretty funny.

I'm no scientist, but usually decomposing dead stuff has a lot bacteria and other pathogens in it. . .

Jack is already full of bacteria and other pathogens.

If I recall the story correctly I believe that the response involved a farm animal.

Yep. A pregnant goat wearing dollar store lingerie.

Jester2000
03-08-2010, 17:05
As for me, I have the distinction of being both the originator and victim of a trail practical joke in 2008. I told my "friends" at the PCT Kickoff that if anyone messed with my pack while I was hiking I was going to attach a whole mess of Masterlocks to that person's pack and mail the keys to them General Delivery to a town a few hundred miles away.

The next day there was a humongous Masterlock attached to my pack.

Which was kind of funny, until they lost the keys.

Lion King
03-08-2010, 17:22
Do ya'll not realize how offensive that was..

to the poor dead groundhog!

I heard the groundhog was alive when it went in but it drown in Bourbon.:D

Rockhound
03-08-2010, 17:26
I heard the groundhog was alive when it went in but it drown in Bourbon.:D
mmmmmmmmmmmm. Pickled groundhog. Sounds yummy.

Cool AT Breeze
03-08-2010, 18:28
I don't remember who it was that :

1.) Drew a chaulk outline of a body in a shelter.

2.) Mounted a wall telephone in a shelter.

3.) Mounted a water faucet to the side of a shelter.

Funny as all getout, whoever did it.
That would be Bilge Rat.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2010, 18:48

The doorbell was priceless and the pregnancy tests outside of Hanover

trailangelbronco
03-08-2010, 19:43
I heard about those shelter outlets all the way out here in Idaho, lol.

CrumbSnatcher
03-08-2010, 20:21
*the 98' thruhikers handbook say to keep your calls short and turn out the light when you leave,it was referring to the jerry cabin shelter (2o+ miles north of Hot Springs). which had a fake phone and fake light switch inside the shelter. 3 of us sitting in the shelter taking a break, and we hear hikers coming, so i jump up on the phone pretend to be talking,and we all take turns like it actually worked! the two girls that arrived later sat there eating a snack, all excited about who they were going to call. i left before they placed any calls, but i heard it was funny as hell, when it took them a few minutes to figure it out:D

icemanat95
03-08-2010, 20:47
well, one of the funniest pranks I've ever heard about, though quite gross, involved one person's can of chewing tobacco left unattended and a convenient pile of seasoned cow manure. A small amount of the latter, was put into the former and well mixed. The chewer did not notice the difference and was only told a few weeks after the tin had been completely consumed.

In another case, an unwary individual who should have known better considering who he was working with, left one of his gloves unattended while he took a call on his cell phone. As it happened, we all were working in a sheep pasture. The prankster took a handful of sheep droppings and placed them into the unattended glove, shaking them down into the fingers. The prankee stuck his hand into his glove with predictable results.

Rocks in packs are common in my work. We also put chainsaw chains on backwards. That one only yields good results with relative newbies who don't tend to be able to keep their saws sharp. Few people will notice it at a glance.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 09:29
sending hikers to Shady Valley Days:( sorry about that!

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 09:52
sending hikers to Shady Valley Days:( sorry about that!
Nothin' wrong with that. Shady Valley is a nice little town. I used to live there.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 10:17
Nothin' wrong with that. Shady Valley is a nice little town. I used to live there.
it was harmless at first,so i thought. me and two friends sitting in double spring shelter,just south of the road leading to shady valley(which is a hard hitch)everybody in the register was talking up traildays. i wrote don't forget shady valley days. then when me and my dog were sitting in shady valley taking a break, 3 hikers rolled into town and was asking around about the celebration:eek: maybe others too in the next few days? sorry about that!

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 13:30
it was a nice little town, and friendly people. had to walk all the way in, but it was worth it,i believe i had a deli sandwich at the general store and there was a pub/restraunt across the street? great moment in time!

Buzz_Lightfoot
03-09-2010, 13:49
I heard about those shelter outlets all the way out here in Idaho, lol.

Lol someone mounted an old DirecTV dish on Rutherford shelter in NJ.

sasquatch2014
03-09-2010, 22:51
If i recall correctly one of the first pranks on the AT was when they were laying out the trail the two guys who were scouting the route saw Charlie Bunion and thought it would be funny to flag out a route up and over it thinking that when Avery saw it he would choose a different route instead he loved it and the trail went up and over. There have been a few other times in strange senseless scrambles when I wondered if the joke continues to be played out even to this day.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 22:54
i heard that story, i thought it was peaks of otter?

sasquatch2014
03-09-2010, 22:59

Could be. I know it was down in that part of VA.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 23:06
charlie bunion's is in GSMNP

sasquatch2014
03-10-2010, 07:27
Ok thanks for some reason I thought it was down in Va. Hell I was with in 1000 miles thats not so bad is it?:D

DocHolliday
03-10-2010, 07:50
well, one of the funniest pranks I've ever heard about, though quite gross, involved one person's can of chewing tobacco left unattended and a convenient pile of seasoned cow manure. A small amount of the latter, was put into the former and well mixed. The chewer did not notice the difference and was only told a few weeks after the tin had been completely consumed.

In another case, an unwary individual who should have known better considering who he was working with, left one of his gloves unattended while he took a call on his cell phone. As it happened, we all were working in a sheep pasture. The prankster took a handful of sheep droppings and placed them into the unattended glove, shaking them down into the fingers. The prankee stuck his hand into his glove with predictable results.

Rocks in packs are common in my work. We also put chainsaw chains on backwards. That one only yields good results with relative newbies who don't tend to be able to keep their saws sharp. Few people will notice it at a glance.

Mannnnn, that's an incredibly ****ed up thing to do. Ruthless.

tuswm
03-12-2010, 02:44
I took a group of friends from work on a 2 week no resupply hike. The second after noon one of the guys decide to mess with the big guys straps. Trying to tangle them up. But he accidental broke the buckle on the hip belt. This was a non backer with basically winter wall mart gear at this point about 85 lbs with no hip belt. He wasn't happy. Eventually we used a belt to fix it.

The last night on the same trip this couple had a 3 person tent. The went on a walk. We knew they would be gone for a while so about 6 of us all eat all the left over curry spices and all sat around in the tent all zipped up and too turns passing gas in to their sleeping bags. As soon as they got in we used a zip tie to lock them in the tent.

tacedeous
03-12-2010, 08:23
@ above

really? that is F'ed if true, and funny, that you all sat around waftin' farts, and still had the fortitude to "lock" the tent...

is it true?

Deadeye
03-12-2010, 22:19

done that... and you don't know who I am! Next time I'm putting in ports for internet "service"

Pony
03-12-2010, 23:04

I came across one of those, and for a brief second I thought, cool, I can charge my cell phone.

Pony
03-12-2010, 23:07

I think it was the pinnacles of dan. Earl Schaffer talks about it in Walking With Spring.

CrumbSnatcher
03-12-2010, 23:17
I think it was the pinnacles of dan. Earl Schaffer talks about it in Walking With Spring.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkeyboy
03-14-2010, 21:40
That would be Bilge Rat.

I don't care if he is a retard........that was funny. :D

Tinker
03-14-2010, 22:07

I saw them, too - before the snow fell. I cracked a smile and continued on (I know that hikers are weird folks :D).

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 22:07
If i recall correctly one of the first pranks on the AT was when they were laying out the trail the two guys who were scouting the route saw Charlie Bunion and thought it would be funny to flag out a route up and over it thinking that when Avery saw it he would choose a different route instead he loved it and the trail went up and over. There have been a few other times in strange senseless scrambles when I wondered if the joke continues to be played out even to this day.

later the trail was redirected, I am told that trail is still there for the hearty - you read that out of Earl's first book. Good Memory!

Jack - Straw
03-21-2010, 11:57
I was only witness to this @ a shelter in NC last year.

Rainy day, late afternoon, lots of alcohol and other stuff being passed around the shelter.

In attendance, 4 college guys and 4 college girls (all of them beautiful) then myself and couple more guys my age.

Girls want to blind fold one of the young guys and smell all of their arm pits to decide who smells the worst. After he has sniffed two of the girls and is getting ready to judge the third (keep in mind he is blinfolded) one of his buddies quietly gets up on the table, pulls his pants down and maneuvers his a#% crack one inch from this guys nose and spreads.

Again, I was only a witness, but the blindfolded guy fell backwards stating her armpit smells worst than the others by far, laughter erupts, takes off blindfold, chase in the rain begins!

Rocket Jones
03-21-2010, 13:13
I was only witness to this @ a shelter in NC last year.

Rainy day, late afternoon, lots of alcohol and other stuff being passed around the shelter.

In attendance, 4 college guys and 4 college girls (all of them beautiful) then myself and couple more guys my age.

Girls want to blind fold one of the young guys and smell all of their arm pits to decide who smells the worst. After he has sniffed two of the girls and is getting ready to judge the third (keep in mind he is blinfolded) one of his buddies quietly gets up on the table, pulls his pants down and maneuvers his a#% crack one inch from this guys nose and spreads.

Again, I was only a witness, but the blindfolded guy fell backwards stating her armpit smells worst than the others by far, laughter erupts, takes off blindfold, chase in the rain begins!

This is the best reason I've ever heard for not carrying a firearm on the trail. :D

RGB
03-21-2010, 15:36
I took a group of friends from work on a 2 week no resupply hike. The second after noon one of the guys decide to mess with the big guys straps. Trying to tangle them up. But he accidental broke the buckle on the hip belt. This was a non backer with basically winter wall mart gear at this point about 85 lbs with no hip belt. He wasn't happy. Eventually we used a belt to fix it.

The last night on the same trip this couple had a 3 person tent. The went on a walk. We knew they would be gone for a while so about 6 of us all eat all the left over curry spices and all sat around in the tent all zipped up and too turns passing gas in to their sleeping bags. As soon as they got in we used a zip tie to lock them in the tent.

Wow, I really hope you were younger than me when you decided this would be funny. Thanks for making us all look like d-bags.

Chance09
03-21-2010, 16:26
I think the ultimate prank would be to put blazes on EVERY SINGLE TREE surrounding a shelter full of hikers and maybe cover the trail with brush so they can't find it. If you could do it and figure out how to remove the blazes afterwards without hurting the trees i think it would be hilarious.

Also how about a rattlesnake noise on a timer that goes off a minute after someone enters a privy? Have to give them time to get their pants down and situated first lol

Graywolf
03-21-2010, 17:14
How about the one where the guy puts on a bigfoot costume and walks through camp/shelter area after it gets dark???

has happened, just cant say where or who...But it was hilarious...

trailangelbronco
03-21-2010, 17:21
That would be a good way to get shot in some areas.

RGB
03-21-2010, 19:19
Also how about a rattlesnake noise on a timer that goes off a minute after someone enters a privy? Have to give them time to get their pants down and situated first lol

Hahahahahahaha