PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Harper's Ferry Questions for a First Timer

dwh0002
02-28-2010, 01:26
I'm a 21 y/o with a little camping experience trying to decide if a hike this summer from Springer Mountain to Harper's Ferry is do-able. I'm in pretty good shape, i run 3 miles at least twice a week, and have a little camping experince, but nothing more than weekend trips. I'd only have between May 14th(when classes are over) and Aug 18(the first day of fall semester).

1. Is a trip that far possible with my lack of experience?
2. Would i even be able to make it in that amount of time? With amtrak i could get from Harper's back home in a day or two.

Lyle
02-28-2010, 04:05
Yes it's definitely doable. You have 3 months to do just under half the trail. Six months for a Thru hike is considered a leisurely hike. Two weeks after you start, you will be amazingly experienced and in pretty good shape. Should be knocking off 17 mile days with little or no trouble. Another week, and you'll be hitting 20 mile days if you want or need to. Since most resupply stops are 3 to four days apart, this hike will be very similar to just a series of long weekend hikes. Actually more too it than that, but for planning, that's what it is.

Relax, take it easy at first, and enjoy.