PDA

View Full Version : Down Jacket has a tear - Help !

johnnybgood
02-28-2010, 15:01
I purchased a down jacket / nylon shell and inadvertently sliced into the jacket while cutting off the tags. Two small tears are the result of my stupidity .:datz

Is there a good way to make repairs or am I screwed ?

Also waiting for a Lands' End rep. to answer my e-mail or call me.

JustaTouron
02-28-2010, 15:05
My theory on life is all repairs can be accomplished using either duct tape or WD-40. I would go with the former over the latter. Just get a matching color.

weary
02-28-2010, 15:11
My theory on life is all repairs can be accomplished using either duct tape or WD-40. I would go with the former over the latter. Just get a matching color.
One of my down jackets came with a knife slice, caused by whoever opened the carton at the store (that's why it only cost me $25)

I just had my wife sew around the slice with her sewing machine. It's lasted 35 years and counting.

J-Rod
02-28-2010, 15:12
just sew it...or get someone that s can sew to sew it for you...not the end of the world...:)

as long as all the down didn't fall out you are ok...just need to sew it..
or duct tape it LOL...

johnnybgood
02-28-2010, 15:56
just sew it...or get someone that s can sew to sew it for you...not the end of the world...:)

or duct tape it LOL...
What sort of sewing thread should I use or does really matter ?

take-a-knee
02-28-2010, 16:03

or duct tape it LOL...

BAD ADVICE! Get some ripstop repair tape, ideally in a matching color. I have some on a North Face down vest that is probably 20 years old. If you sew it it'll pucker and look like shiite.

Toolshed
02-28-2010, 16:05
I use Gutterman thread. Either Polyester (cheap) or Poly core Cotton - A bit stronger. If by hand, you could try carpet thread, but it may be overkill for the nylon.
After sewing Assuming a simple stitch across the cut, joining the two ends, I would add some seam grip to the stitches to keep them from unraveling.
PS - I am assuming these are very small tears in an inconspicuous spot?

Mrs Baggins
02-28-2010, 16:07
Ripped both my down bags near the zippers when the fabric caught and I couldn't get it out. A little square of Gorilla tape (NOT ordinary duct tape) has held on both bags for 3 years and 2 years respectively. Of course, it only comes in black and it happens that both of my bags were torn on the their black lining.

Dogwood
02-28-2010, 16:26
For small nylon rips like in a jacket, tent, or sleeping bag I like McNetts Tenacious Tape(comes in clear) or Kenyon Nylon repair tape(comes in clear and asst colors). I got a small rip in a Marmot Helium Sleeping bag and the Kenyon has held great(even after two down washings) with a patch on the inside and outside of the exterior shell. Blue tape color almost matched exactly. The tape is soft too so there is no stiff spot where the tape patch is.

Tipi Walter
02-28-2010, 16:39
I purchased a down jacket / nylon shell and inadvertently sliced into the jacket while cutting off the tags. Two small tears are the result of my stupidity .:datz

Is there a good way to make repairs or am I screwed ?

Also waiting for a Lands' End rep. to answer my e-mail or call me.

Let's hope it wasn't a $600 Feathered Friends Icefall parka.

Please, don't use duct tape! The top silver part will peel off and the tape leaves a crappy smudge stain when you take it off. Go with ripstop tape or McNetts fancy tape/patches.

BAD ADVICE! Get some ripstop repair tape, ideally in a matching color. I have some on a North Face down vest that is probably 20 years old. If you sew it it'll pucker and look like shiite.

There you go.

For small nylon rips like in a jacket, tent, or sleeping bag I like McNetts Tenacious Tape(comes in clear) or Kenyon Nylon repair tape(comes in clear and asst colors). I got a small rip in a Marmot Helium Sleeping bag and the Kenyon has held great(even after two down washings) with a patch on the inside and outside of the exterior shell. Blue tape color almost matched exactly. The tape is soft too so there is no stiff spot where the tape patch is.

There you go again. Tenacious tape is proabably even better than the Kenyon. Both will hold forever if put on right. I was out a month ago and my old NF rainpants snagged on a blowdown and I got a 15 inch rip down one leg and luckily I was carrying about 8 squares of Kenyon tape and fixed the whole thing at my next water stop. Held thru the whole trip and later thru the washing machine.

I always carry 8 or 10 square pieces on every trip, have been since 1982 . . .

shelterbuilder
02-28-2010, 16:50
Yes, ripstop repair tape is defintely better than duct tape - especially if you can get a small piece of it stuck onto the INSIDE of the tear before you put the outside piece on - that way, the outside piece protects the tear, while the inside piece actually holds the tear together.

If you have to sew it, it will probably pucker, and if the edges aren't sealed in some way (heat, glue, etc.), the stitching will eventually pull out.

johnnybgood
02-28-2010, 17:27
McNetts Tenacious Tape actually comes in assorted colors including dark blue, the color for which I'll patch my jacket .

Luckly the advice here is 10x better than customer service. .

Rocketman
02-28-2010, 20:52
I looked into this because I want to repair a down sleeping bag -- which is still on my ToDo list.

Over on backpackinglight they had this kind of discussion, and one of the comments was that you want to VERY FIRMLY rub the adhesive patch with something smooth and hard (not a finger).

Round the corners of the patch because the square corners will easily lift off.

Clean the fabric area to be joined. Dirt, dust and grease contamination will all cut the strength of adhesive bonds. Poor surface preparation is often cited as the #1 cause of adhesive failures in the Aerospace industry. The same failures should be expected in all adhesive applications, even backpacking.

Similar to previously described here, these patches will last decades when put on with care.

Duct tape sucks for this job. As people described earlier.

kanga
02-28-2010, 22:25
good lord, DON'T use the duct tape! there are so many other better, non-destructive ways to fix it. i wouldn't do anything more than hold the sides of the tear together firmly and put a piece of clear scotch tape over it to hold it together until you hear back from the land's end rep. they may tell you to send it back to them for them to repair it (for a small fee) and you don't want send it back to them all messed with. if not, then go forward with the mcnett's tape or similar thing. fwiw, i ripped a small hole in my precious down ul jacket and the scotch tape i put on it (and then completely forgot about since it did such a good job) is still there 2 winters later after much wear.

Tinker
02-28-2010, 23:33
I used clear packing tape on an old down work vest once. I put it on about 6 years ago, washed it once, and it's still there (not that I'd recommend this on a quality garment, but you'd be surprised what will work in a pinch). Yeah, go with the self-adhesive nylon patch. Round corners as recommended above. I've done that, too, and it lasts a long time and is more reliable than packing tape. ;)

Cool AT Breeze
03-01-2010, 00:31
Kenyan tinasious (sp) has been on my down jacket for over a year.

buz
03-01-2010, 09:57
I vote nice sew job with similar colored thread by someone who knows what they are doing. Small pucker probably likely, depending on amount of fabric, but so what. I also would choose regular cotton thread, but that would be if I was going to use seam grip on the repair. The cotton thread absorbs the seam grip and makes it bombproof. My #1 choice for durability. Poly or other non cotton thread won't absorb the seam grip, but I still think seam grip is needed for a sewing repair, regardless of thread used. It is great stuff.

J-Rod
03-01-2010, 20:55
why is it?
i sewed mine and it came out fine ..besides...he is wearing it in the bush...not to a fashion show..i trust sewing it more than just putting tape on it thats just my .02

camper10469
03-01-2010, 21:32
Tent repair tape sold at Campmor n other camping stores.