PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wear a watch?

Spot In The Sky
02-28-2010, 21:30
From all the reading Ive been doing on hear I havent heard anyone mention wearing a watch, what type, what kind not to get or anything like that. Does everyone just use their phone? Id imagine some are more durable and comfortable than others to wear in such conditions.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2010, 21:32
i carry a cheap timex. i look at it when i wake up during the night

Mountain Wildman
02-28-2010, 21:34
I was thinking about buying a Casio Pathfinder.
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Pathfinder-Digital-Multi-Function-PAW2000-1CR/dp/B002OSY3WM

They have different models for less money, I like this one because it is Solar and I don't have to change batteries.

Kerosene
02-28-2010, 21:35
I carry an old Timex. I do tend to use it throughout the day to assess my progress, but mostly toward evening.

Wrangler88
02-28-2010, 21:37
I use a cheap one from walmart that I hang from my shoulder strap. Nothing fancy.

bigcranky
02-28-2010, 21:38
Cheap Timex with a tiny compass added to the band.

Deadeye
I wear a $20 timex. Nice to know what day it is, and how much daylight is left.

johnnybgood
i carry a cheap timex. i look at it when i wake up during the night
Ditto . duct tape holding mine together.

JustaTouron
02-28-2010, 21:45
what do you need one for:

if you wake up and it is dark out, roll over and go back to sleep
if you wake up and it is light out, get up.
when you walked as much as you wanted to walk or it is starting to get dark, stop and make camp.
when it is dark and you are tired, go to bed
when you are hungry, eat.

i carry a phone for safety reasons and it does have a clock feature but I purposefully leave the phone off and never check the time when hiking or camping, ruins the trip IMHO if you run on a schedule

Dogwood
02-28-2010, 21:47
AT - cheap Indiglo Timex bought at Wally World for $20 5 yrs ago. Repaced band once, barttery once. Just bought the same thing again 2 wks a go because the Imdiglo stopped working lighting up. LOL. I also look at it when I wake up in the night!

Roughin' It
02-28-2010, 21:50
I was thinking about buying a Casio Pathfinder.
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Pathfinder-Digital-Multi-Function-PAW2000-1CR/dp/B002OSY3WM

They have different models for less money, I like this one because it is Solar and I don't have to change batteries.

are you kidding me? $237 so you can know what time of day it is?

JAK
02-28-2010, 21:53
I have my grandfather's old Mido wrist watch.
It's one of those automatic winders that came out just before quartz.
It keeps fairly good time. Nice old leather strap.
No batteries. :)

Feral Bill
02-28-2010, 21:54
I wear a nice Citizen Ecodrive (solar recharge) watch. It is water resistant (I sail) and tells time. I find knowing the time help keep me motivated and I'm able to avoid putting myself on a rigid schedule. Colin Fletcher discusses the issue in his Complete Walker books.

Jim Adams
02-28-2010, 21:59
Every day...I may not know exactly where I'm at but I always know how much daylight is left between me and water.

geek

Red Beard
02-28-2010, 22:01
I wear a cheap analog timex. If the sun is out, it functions as a backup compass in a pinch.

Spot In The Sky
02-28-2010, 22:05
I figured it would be important for keeping a pace if/when you need to- as well as making it into town while shops or post office is going to open or close?

Mountain Wildman
02-28-2010, 22:12

Dude,
It's also an altimeter, barometer, compass, Thermometer, alarm clock etc...
If you like cheap timex's, that's cool, I have owned a dozen or more in my life. The better quality watches I've bought. I still have those. The dozen timex's. In the Garbage. Timex makes a good watch, but once they stop working it's not worth repairing a 30 dollar watch.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2010, 22:12

when you walked as much as you wanted to walk or it is starting to get dark, stop and make camp.

i carry a phone for safety reasons and it does have a clock feature but I purposefully leave the phone off and never check the time when hiking or camping, ruins the trip IMHO if you run on a schedule

hypocrite.....

Tabasco
02-28-2010, 22:23

Omega Seamaster. $ 2500 so I can tell what time it is.

Bags4266
02-28-2010, 22:40
I own A Pathfinder, Reason: Barometer, I like to know when bad weather is on the way. So far it works great.

10-K
02-28-2010, 22:44
Timex ironman...

Mountain Wildman
02-28-2010, 23:04

Wow,
Nice watch, I looked at it but just couldn't part with that much mula.
Settled on the Tag Heuer Formula one, only $750

Trailbender
02-28-2010, 23:08

Shallow greed and materialism, nothing more.

Spot In The Sky
02-28-2010, 23:19
Woaaaah, easy with the name calling! Theyre very pretty in person! Although, I wouldnt spend more than 50% of my savings for the hike on a watch, thatd just be silly.

Bags4266
02-28-2010, 23:24
I'm pretty sure he's kidding here. Sometime's people take others for their actual word.

Lilred
02-28-2010, 23:27
Doesn't anybody use a watch to tell how many miles they've hiked? I can keep a steady 1 1/2mph, with breaks, so a watch is my odometer. Plus, I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Bags4266
02-28-2010, 23:32
Kid as you may, I am not a gram weenie and dont mind carrying a watch. My wrist sure can handle the 4 lb Flav da Flav

Bags4266
02-28-2010, 23:32
Boyooooooo

Slo-go'en
02-28-2010, 23:48
Doesn't anybody use a watch to tell how many miles they've hiked? I can keep a steady 1 1/2mph, with breaks, so a watch is my odometer.

Yep, that's one good use for it.

I get the cheapist waterproof (opps, water resistant) watch I can find at Wal-mart, usually $5.00 and throw it away when the battery dies and get a new one, as a new battery costs as much as a new watch!

I haven't had a watch on my wrist in well over 20 years. I hang mine on the back of the pack, but have the hourly chime turned on so I know when an hour has passed. Only problem is I can never remember how to turn the dang chime off, so have to put the watch inside my boot with a sock over it so I don't hear it all night long!

AUhiker90
02-28-2010, 23:56
My dad gave me a Suunto Vector for my graduation and although its huge its pretty cool with the compass and barometer but i proboally wouldnt have purchased it myself as its 200 bucks

Jim Adams
03-01-2010, 00:18
I own A Pathfinder, Reason: Barometer, I like to know when bad weather is on the way. So far it works great.

My watch doesn't have a barometer but I can usually tell what the weather is doing by looking upward.:D

geek

white_russian
03-01-2010, 00:18
I found one of them watch/altimeter/compass/barometer/thermometer deals on steep and cheap a while back for like $40 or something. It really is nice to have the extra information. If you see one on the clearance rack it is well worth it. Couldn't see paying anywhere near retail for one though.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2010, 00:30

There's a post, I agree with you.... New Timex's are junk. Period. (China)

garlic08
03-01-2010, 00:35
Doesn't anybody use a watch to tell how many miles they've hiked?

The main reason I carry my cheap watch is for navigation. So far, I've probably used my watch for navigating at least as much I've used a compass. In trail-less areas, I even write the time on my map that I know I'm at a certain feature and keep track of my progress that way. Sometimes, I set the hourly chime and note my best estimate of where I am on the map. That's a great way to stay found.

srestrepo
03-01-2010, 01:13
i wear a citizen ecodrive. it is a $500.00 watch. but, it was given to me as a gift and i never take it off. ever. except at tsa check points and even then i hold it in my hand when i walk through because i dont effin trust anyone.

Dogwood
03-01-2010, 03:08
I play a little game when I'm out on a thru-hike. After being outside when the sun rises and sets many times and you are constantly taking notice of the weather, sky, and sun I see how close I can guess to the time of day, and even night, before checking with my watch. After being out hiking for a couple of weeks I can usually make a fairly accurate guess within 15 mins or so.

daddytwosticks
03-01-2010, 08:33
Have a cheap Timex indiglo analog. Used to wear it on my wrist but the web band would get funky from sweat and would sometimes interfear w/the hiking pole strap. Now I use one of those small toy carabineers and attach just the watch body to my pack strap. I like this very, very much...:)

kayak karl
03-01-2010, 08:53
got a cheap Timex built into a carabiner for $8. i use it mostly for time vs. distance. at night in winter when your getting up before the sun.

some hikers don't carry a watch because they just want to live in the moment. you can spot these hiker on the trail easily. they are the ones that ask "you got the time?" :D

Mrs Baggins
03-01-2010, 09:12
Used to wear the Timex Ironman (ladies version) digital. But I hate futzing with trying to change the time, alarms going off that I didn't know I had set.......so now I wear the Timex Expedition Classic Analog (ladies). It's small, light, has a great back light for night time. I took off the leather band and put a velcro wrap band on it so I can adjust it for a better wrist fit and it's easier to clean the band. I've been wearing a watch since my parents gave me my first one for Christmas when I was 9 years old. It's a habit that I would not consider giving up. I do carry a cell phone but I prefer to just give a quick glance at my wrist to see the time, not get out the phone. And since I do wake up a lot at night I do like to know the time to see if it's even worth trying to go back to sleep.

Quoddy
03-01-2010, 09:14
I wear a Suunto (Observer) as much, or more, for the altimeter as for the time. When used with a good map it pinpoints my position by mountain heights. Another benefit is the built in compass for navigation, if needed.

Hokie
03-01-2010, 09:14
Watch -Casio Pathfinder Hunter (Amazon $29) - 5 yr battery, shows sunrise and sunset times along with current moon phase. Weighs 79 gms.

Not essential, but the added sunrise and sunset times along with accurate moon phases for the same price as a cheap Timex are nice. It even has a feature similar to the Timex indiglo night light where instead of having to push the button, a tilt of the wrist will turn it on. Nice for night hiking.

Tabasco
03-01-2010, 09:44
Wow,
Nice watch, I looked at it but just couldn't part with that much mula.
Settled on the Tag Heuer Formula one, only $750

Thanks, it was my 40th birthday present to myself. I had wanted one since I was 20, and just figured it was time. For my 50th, I'm planning on another Omega, I want the new Co-Axial Planet Ocean. $ 7.50 a week for 10 years ought to cover it.

Don't believe we've ever met or spoken before, Have a great day!

cowpoke
03-01-2010, 11:57
I use a timex with digital compass....probably use the compass as much as I use the time feature. cheers.

Deadeye
03-01-2010, 12:06
Doesn't anybody use a watch to tell how many miles they've hiked? I can keep a steady 1 1/2mph, with breaks, so a watch is my odometer. Plus, I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night.

On the AT? There are so many signposts with mileage listed, you don't need to estimate how far you've gone, you know pretty much exactly where you are.

sixhusbands
03-01-2010, 12:23
I have a timex brand that I attach to my sholder strap. I have found that after a while my fingers and hands do swell somewhat and the watch or rings get a bit tight. It is nice to have the time when you are approaching, towns or a mail drop to see if you can make it. plus the glow at night feature can help at night.

mister krabs
03-01-2010, 13:22
I don't like replacing batteries, so I got a citizen eco drive. I don't like taking it off, so I got 200 meter water resistance. I'm cheap, so I got it at 50% off. (100$)

I do like to look at it in the middle of the night, so I got one with good lume.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/75/e1/c9d7f0f9e7a0c689c8c88110.L.jpg

In general, I like nice watches. I used to wear silver rings and bracelets and a huge stainless diver watch until I got a job where I have to go through a metal detector. My watch being my last peice of jewelry I wanted a pretty nice one, but simple and not about to set off the detector.

fredmugs
03-01-2010, 13:55

Some of us have these things called goals and objectives.
Some of us like to put in 20+ mile days and need a frame of reference.
Some of us need a watch to tell us to slow down.
Some of us don't like going to bed and laying there for 12 hours.
Some of us don't like taking breaks and need a watch to force ourselves to stop for 10 minutes. Some of us need to take a 30 minute break for lunch.
Some of us need to maximize our limited time on the trail.

I carry the same watch I wear all the time. I have a cheap Timex Armitron that has a light on it, two times zones, an alarm, and military time. Yes - I set the alarm.

John B
03-01-2010, 14:10
Timex Expedition. About $30. It has it all -- inexpensive, an electronic compass, an alarm, and it glows at night with the push of a button.

All that said, I'll gladly trade with Tabasco if he wants to swap watches.

sbhikes
03-01-2010, 18:07
I bought my boyfriend one of those Pathfinder watches about 10 years or more ago. I was surprised to see that he was still wearing it, although some of the functions were starting to fail. I bought him the solar one for Christmas. He's got enough money and is a big gadget geek and he'd be perfectly capable of buying it himself, but obviously he liked it a lot to have kept it so long.

I carried a cheap digital watch. I wanted to know the day of the week and date (so easy to forget) and the time.

I used the time to orient myself to place. I walked 2.5 miles an hour so if I was hoping to find a water source in 5 miles I'd check the watch and know that in 2 hours I should be right on top of it. It was amazing how accurate that was.

Mountain Wildman
03-01-2010, 18:25
Thanks, it was my 40th birthday present to myself. I had wanted one since I was 20, and just figured it was time. For my 50th, I'm planning on another Omega, I want the new Co-Axial Planet Ocean. $ 7.50 a week for 10 years ought to cover it.

Don't believe we've ever met or spoken before, Have a great day!

Not everybody shares our affinity or is it an addiction to fine time pieces.
I loved every Timex I ever owned or received as a gift, I also felt the heartbreak of tossing it in the can when it finally died anywhere from 6 months to a few years. I decided there had to be a better way and started buying better watches. Started with pricey Seiko's, Nautica, Luminox and finally my latest Tag which of course retails for around 1200.
I don't pay retail.
I would wish you luck with the new Omega, But lets face it, luck is not needed. After all, James Bond wears one.

G-WALK
03-01-2010, 18:48
I have an el-cheap-o. on my belt strap, i know how fast i hike, so i helps me know where i am...

Lyle
03-01-2010, 18:50
Casio Forester. Cheap, Water resistant, nylon band. pretty darn accurate.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-01-2010, 20:21
casio pathfinder has a lot of functions if you like that type of thing the altimeter can depress you when you realize you have anotherr 400 feet to the top and you are dragging butt after a long day

just dad
03-01-2010, 21:42
The i phone generally won't work as a watch because you can't leave it on. Without service, the battery will drain in a matter of hours. I used a Ironman until it started beeping non-stop. After a couple hours of the beeping I took my son's advice and smashed it with my treking pole. It took quite a few hits before I could silence it. Now I carry a inexpensive Timex analog.

Tabasco
03-01-2010, 23:35
Not everybody shares our affinity or is it an addiction to fine time pieces.

Addiction is right. Besides the Seamaster, I've got 2 Lasalles, a 12 year old Seal Luminox, 4 or 5 other toy watches, I'm looking at the Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500 and the new Black on Black Luminox Seal. But, the Omega PO is my holy grail now.

You ever check out timezone.com? great deals there from addicts like ourselves.

NorthCountryWoods
03-02-2010, 11:26
I wear a Suunto (Observer) as much, or more, for the altimeter as for the time. When used with a good map it pinpoints my position by mountain heights. Another benefit is the built in compass for navigation, if needed.

Wife bought me an Advisor for xmas many years ago and I love it. It's my everyday watch. Altimeter/compass is great and it also has a barometer/thermometer which is useful when out for long periods between weather updates. Also a heart rate monitor for trail running.

Bags4266
03-02-2010, 11:35
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MIHbtiazMqP-JM:http://www.s9.com/images/portraits/9906_Flavor-Flav.jpg (http://www.s9.com/images/portraits/9906_Flavor-Flav.jpg)This is me and the watch that I carry!!! Trying to find a suitable wristband for it.

Rocket Jones
03-02-2010, 12:26
For everyday use I have a nice pocket watch.

For hiking and camping I have a cheapo wristwatch that lights up enough to read in the dark and has an alarm if I need it. Good enough for me.

Graywolf
03-02-2010, 12:37
Nimbelwill Nomad wore dollar watches from dollar stores along the way..Worked for him just fine.. I wore a cheap Casio that had a compass in the wristband..$20. The compass never worked regardless which direction I was facing, and the chime was "locked in" for each hour..became very annoing..I think I "accidently" lost it along the way..

But then again, for town stops I can see where it would be usefull, + the time/distance planning..

Graywolf

Morning Glory
03-02-2010, 12:57
I've had a Pathfinder for more than two years now and it is the best watch I've ever owned. I love the altimeter. It's very handy in avoiding false summits and its nice to be able to know my progress on a climb. The thermometer on it is great too. My wife got if for me as a Christmas present and I'm sure she didn't pay $230 for it.

D'Artagnan
03-02-2010, 13:11
Rolex GMT-Master II (Stainless Steel). Bought it used 16 years ago and it still runs like a top. :banana

The Old Fhart
03-02-2010, 17:33
Tabasco-"I'm looking at the Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500..."
I've used Casio altimeter/barometer watches for about 20 years and currently have a PAW-1300. It is relatively compact and thin plus you never have to set the time or replace batteries. The purchase price is generally about 1/2 of the MSRP. If you want to see the watch's features, check this YouTube Video review HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GTjn-mkYM).

vonfrick
03-03-2010, 01:08
concord, waterproof, because the best thing to come out of switzerland wasn't a knife

climber2377
03-03-2010, 01:46
i used to wear one when i was a teacher, i had to stay on schedule. when i m hiking, i dont think it s going to be all that important and plan to head out with out one. i will have my phone, but i m going to have the batteries out unless i want to take a picture or update my online journal or coordinate a meet up, and talk/text my loved ones to keep them up to date. probably be good to check the weather once in a while too. i dont think i want to know what time it is though. light means up and moving, dark means sleep.

Powder River
03-04-2010, 00:23
I hang mine on the back of the pack, but have the hourly chime turned on so I know when an hour has passed. Only problem is I can never remember how to turn the dang chime off, so have to put the watch inside my boot with a sock over it so I don't hear it all night long!

I was hanging out with a friend recently who had this feature turned on. Boy it drove me nuts! At first I couldn't even tell what it was... thought it was a text message chime or something.

No offense but I hope I don't end up in the same shelter as you. :D

RGB
03-04-2010, 00:42
Dude,
It's also an altimeter, barometer, compass, Thermometer, alarm clock etc...
If you like cheap timex's, that's cool, I have owned a dozen or more in my life. The better quality watches I've bought. I still have those. The dozen timex's. In the Garbage. Timex makes a good watch, but once they stop working it's not worth repairing a 30 dollar watch.

If you're wondering why anyone would spend that much money on a watch, see this thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59420) for clarification.

prain4u
03-04-2010, 01:30

About the same for me--I use a watch both as a primitive "odometer" and for knowing what time it is if I wake up during the dark overnight hours.

It is also my calendar--and an alarm clock--when such things are "needed". (I need such things if I plan to meet someone or if I need to get to a place before it closes for the day).

I also use a watch to pace myself and to motivate me when hiking. I may pick a certain destination and try to get there by a certain time. It is just a little mental game that I play to help keep my brain occupied and my hiking pace steady.

I am rough on watches. Thus, I always get some "el cheapo" digital watch from Wal-Mart. I rarely pay over $14 for one. I wear it until: 1) The battery dies. 2) I break the watch or break the watch strap or 3) I lose it. Then I just get a new one.

I try to carry the watch's written instructions in my wallet (real world) or in my pack (when hiking)--just in case I need to reset it or use one of the watch's features. Nothing worse than a watch beeping loudly every day at 3 am and you don't know how to stop it (short of smashing it with a rock!)

rrsmith
03-04-2010, 07:49
I wear a cheap Timex that lights up, that's a must ! Nice to see what time it is in the dark. I also carry a pedometer, helps me track my miles.

4shot
03-04-2010, 08:45
My first bit of trail magic!!(sort of)...I received a UPS box containing a digital watch from Cabela's with temp/compass/altimeter/barometer/etc. It was sent by an old (in both sense of the word) friend who knew I was heading for Springer in a couple weeks.I normally wear a $20 Timex but it was cool to get an unexpected gift in the mail.

Alien Grey 1972
03-04-2010, 10:10
In the movie "Easy Rider" there is a scene that has always stuck with me. The two main characters "Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper" are about to start their journey to New Orleans. Before starting Peter stops his bike and throws his watch on the ground. A good scene with lots of meaning to me at least. I want to do this same act when I start my hike in June.

Red Hat
03-04-2010, 10:19
I'll be wearing my well used Timex Indiglo. It's nice to know whether it's 3 oclock in the morning and I should go back to sleep or 6 oclock in the morning and I can get up. Also handy when you need to be someplace by a certain time, like Harper's Ferry before the ATC closes or to catch a post office before closing time.

Blue Jay
03-04-2010, 11:28
Things I would rather carry than a watch on the AT.
1) A pocket full of fire ants.
2) A lazy boy recliner
3) Bacon that Mathewski has already eaten
5) A VHS of Gone with the Wind
6) The front wheel of my Harley
7) 2 full cases of the worst beer on earth
8) Martha Stewart
9) 5 Gallons of Boiling Water without a container
10) David Letterman
A watch can only tell you that you need to be somewhere else at any particular time. If one of your feet is on the AT you certainly do not need to be any where else. Measuring time on the AT can only bring you irritation and irritation is something else to leave out here. Granted, irritation does not weigh very much so knock yourself out.

dmax
03-04-2010, 11:33
I haven't used a watch in over 25 years. My wife bought me one a few years back as a x-mas gift. Luckily she bought it at my outfitters. I don't even know what kind it was. I took it back so fast and traded it for a some new shoes.

My wife always wore a watch when I met her. She doesn't anymore. Except for work. She's a nurse. Anyway, after a person goes awhile without a watch they are able to come really close in telling the time. Almost always within 15 minutes. She used to be amazed and also got mad when I tell her the time and its the same as our clock. So she put hers up one day and hasn't looked back.

I agree with an earlier poster:
When its dark I sleep.
When its light I wake up.
If I'm spending the night 5 miles from a resupply point I know I'll make it.
If I'm 20+ miles from a resupply, I won't even try.
I don't care if I make it to a shelter for the night. Or even where I thought I might camp. I just go with the flow. If I want to camp, I camp. If I want to hike, I hike.

But just because I don't use a watch, doesn't mean you don't need to. Maybe you like keeping track of your day. Or being on a time schedule. I like the idea of useing one as a compass. And maybe the glass of a watch would be usefull in a survival situation. But, they just aren't for me...:)

mountainman
03-04-2010, 22:56
i carry a watch ,most of my friends don't. Howere they're constantly asking me what time it is. That must mean something.
Mountainman

Mags
03-04-2010, 23:01
i used to wear one when i was a teacher, i had to stay on schedule. when i m hiking, i dont think it s going to be all that important and plan to head out with out one.

As others noted, a watch is very useful for navigation (i.e. dead reckoning).

Even on the AT, if you know your basic pace and how long you've gone, you'll have a basic idea when the overlook, shelter or road is coming up. On the CDT, I found a watch useful to say the least.

My watch of choice is a Timex Indiglo. It tells the time and the date. It glows. Good enough. :) (I don't like digital watches from strictly an aesthetic standpoint). I am wearing the same watch I wore on the CDT right now. Same battery, too.

Bleemus
03-04-2010, 23:10
I have three Brietlings. One actually has an EPIRB in it. Fancy that.

Thrasher
03-04-2010, 23:11
I use an $8 or $10 watch from walmart. I had the casio pathfinder for a few weeks, but I wanted it for the thermometer and could only get it to read the temperature when I didn't wear the watch so I returned it.

Bearpaw
03-04-2010, 23:22
My cheap timex helps me keep a decent count of the distance I gone, helps me wake up, get to town and know when the outfitter, PO, or Dots will open, and so forth. I've hiked a bit without a watch, and it was kind of irritating. I'll stick with what works for me.

Who doesn't carry a watch? :-?

prain4u
03-06-2010, 20:01
Who doesn't carry a watch? :-?

Just a guess.....:

1. People who tend to not wear a watch in their "non-hiking" lives either.

2. People who are "required" to be very much on a time schedule in their "non-hiking" lives and who greatly appreciate (need?) a break from that when hiking.

yaduck9
03-06-2010, 21:28
For work, I wear my old Omega my dad gave me.

For outdoors I wear one of those LL Bean analog field watch. Guaranteed forever. At night, you only need one hand to see what time it is..

sbhikes
03-07-2010, 22:48
What's funny is I only carry a watch when I'm backpacking. Otherwise I do not.

By the way, I asked my boyfriend if his solar-powered Pathfinder stayed charged and he said so far so good.

waywardfool
03-08-2010, 01:10
My funny (to me, but definitely not my wife) watch story. Last summer, went on a dayhike at Grayson Highlands. We were up there to bike ride with her family, but went up early to do some hiking first. Friday morning, we started out from Massie Gap at 11am, with the plan to turn around at 1pm, to get back to the car at 3pm.

Every once in a while, she'd ask the time and if it was time to turn around yet. "No, it's just 12."..."No, it's just 12:45"..."No, it's only 1:15". It seemed like we were really making good time, too.

Finally, when the watch said it was 1PM, we turned around, and headed back for the truck. Got there right at 3pm, as planned. Got in the truck, cranked it up, and the dash clock said 5:30. Yep, that was the day my dying watch battery decided to run slow.

harryfred
03-08-2010, 01:24
I use a cheap one from walmart that I hang from my shoulder strap. Nothing fancy.
Same here mine has a carbiner with a LED light backs up my head lamp.

TallShark
04-21-2011, 20:04
Going to resurrect this thread… Somebody donate a breitling or a luminox to my “I’m in school and super broke and want a nice watch fund”. Preferably a navitimer. PM for address, Thanks guys.

But in all seriousness, does anyone really need the alarm function on the watches that have them, or does the sun/ routine of getting up in the early AM handle that for you?

vamelungeon
04-21-2011, 20:16
Casio Wave Raptor, on sale at Wally World for $20. Sets itself by the radio signal from WWV (like the misnamed "atomic clocks"). I've worn out one band and one battery. Has luminous dial, date and day of week.

vamelungeon
04-21-2011, 20:18
Going to resurrect this thread… Somebody donate a breitling or a luminox to my “I’m in school and super broke and want a nice watch fund”. Preferably a navitimer. PM for address, Thanks guys.

But in all seriousness, does anyone really need the alarm function on the watches that have them, or does the sun/ routine of getting up in the early AM handle that for you?
My watch has an alarm but I've had a high frequency hearing loss since I was in the Air Force and can only faintly hear the alarm. When I'm hiking I just wake up when I wake up.

Bags4266
04-21-2011, 21:34
Yes set two alarms at 1/2 hour settings incase I don't want to get up to early

WILLIAM HAYES
04-21-2011, 21:43
casio pathfinder solar no maintenance titanium

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2011, 22:04
Years ago - timex was the bomb - now it would fail for no apparent reason. - China Junk.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/timex-speed-boat-challenge/62a5cb57084564c1b4bf62a5cb57084564c1b4bf-889886605667?q=timex%20commercial

tigerpaw
04-21-2011, 22:20
Timex, Ironman-Triathalon

aaronthebugbuffet
04-21-2011, 23:04
Cheap Timex with light and date.
The only time I wear a watch is hiking and backpacking. Good for dead reckoning and knowing when to wake up on overcast days.

Once without a watch I went to bed on a rainy day. It had been raining for a couple of days. I woke up a little later when the sun had came out and estimated it was only about 6pm.

bflorac
04-21-2011, 23:35
My hiking watch: Lacrossse XG-55 (it was $59 3 years ago when I got mine but is now $99)
Lacrosse (http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/xg55/index.php)
Takes a liking and still keeps on ticking.
Watch, Altimeter, Compass, Temperature

Leanthree
04-22-2011, 08:41
I use the hand method. Over time I have discovered that when I fully extend my arm, that the # of hand widths from horizon to sun is nearly exactly the # of hours until the sun goes down when in the last 4 or so hours of the day. Most people with larger hands have longer arms so this works for them as well.

Can test at home when looking up the sunset time on weather.com or something as I would imagine some people's hands are 45 minutes or 75 minutes or whatever. Mine are ~60.

Blue Jay
04-22-2011, 11:50
Going to resurrect this thread… But in all seriousness, does anyone really need the alarm function on the watches that have them, or does the sun/ routine of getting up in the early AM handle that for you?

Yes the alarm function is vital, right up there with peeing in the stream directly above someone getting water.:confused:

Windcatcher
04-22-2011, 13:14
Casio Pathfinder, solar powered, time, day, date, barometer, altimeter, compass, thermometer, alarm(s), water-proof, rugged. Some people swear by ultra-light gear, some by high-tech gear, some by tried & true low-cost gear. I try to balance cost, need, utility, weight, durability, environment, etc., plus it's a really cool gadget.

hikerboy57
04-22-2011, 13:16
Timex, Ironman-Triathalon
Have the same one, picked it up for 420 bucks. I never wear a watch except for hiking, so I know how much daylight is left.

hikerboy57
04-22-2011, 13:23
Have the same one, picked it up for 420 bucks. I never wear a watch except for hiking, so I know how much daylight is left.
i forgot to hit the shift button, it was $20, not 420.

halftime
04-22-2011, 14:15
Just picked up a watch at Steep and Cheep for $90 that is supposedly water proof has digital compass, barometer, altimeter etc. It looks to be good quality and durable. Not bad for price. We will see.

Zachsdad
04-23-2011, 17:34
Three years ago I bought a $10 watch at Wal-Mart. A couple of weeks ago it went through the laundry (Don't ask how that happened.), but until then it kept absolutely perfect time.

hikerboy57
04-23-2011, 17:39
I use the hand method. Over time I have discovered that when I fully extend my arm, that the # of hand widths from horizon to sun is nearly exactly the # of hours until the sun goes down when in the last 4 or so hours of the day. Most people with larger hands have longer arms so this works for them as well.

Can test at home when looking up the sunset time on weather.com or something as I would imagine some people's hands are 45 minutes or 75 minutes or whatever. Mine are ~60.
The hand method only works when you can see both sun and horizon.

Penguin
04-23-2011, 18:26
I wear a watch on all my hikes, the LaCrosse Technologies XG-55 got it for 60 bucks on e-bay new. This has an altimeter alarm compass, and all the jazz you'd expect in a digital watch, like a thermometer. I use it as my prime navigation tool. Knowing my pace averages 2 miles an hour throughout the day, I can tell how many miles I went, plus the altimeter combined with the approximate mileage from my hiking time, will show what trail junctions im nearing and how much more climbing i need to do. Indespensible I think on trail.

Leanthree
04-24-2011, 01:38
The hand method only works when you can see both sun and horizon.

You do need to be able to see the sun. You can estimate the horizon normally within a few degrees using your sense of balance. if the horizon is blocked by a mountain, trees, etc.

If the sun has set then go to bed.

Also works to figure out how long the sun has been up in the morning.

Kalell
05-07-2011, 23:48
got a pathfinder it's great. been using it for years
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAW1300-1V-Pathfinder-Multi-Band-Atomic/dp/B000WCOBJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1304826444&sr=1-1

ScottP
05-10-2011, 11:48
I take a cheapo $10 watch and just strap it to my pack. I hike a pretty reliable pace, so having a watch handy really helps me know where I am.

SunnyWalker
05-21-2011, 09:20
If one is carrying a GPS Unit you have a watch in it.