PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been on the MD AT?

mdgamewarden
02-28-2010, 22:06
Anyone now what the conditions of the AT shelters are in the MD part? Who about water?

Ulfhedinn
03-02-2010, 17:37
While I havent been on the trail since fall, and cant speak to the condition of it, the abundance of rain and snow this year probably means plenty of water sources on the trail.

hikersc1
03-02-2010, 18:00
The conditions were good last August when I did PenMar-Harpers Ferry. Got water at Little Antitem Creek, Colwell Shelter,Pogo campsite, Washington Monument(sodas) Dahlgren Campground(Showers),Gathland State Park(sodas) & Potomac River

Hooch
03-02-2010, 18:00
I hiked that section with my girlfriend back in early November. All water sources that I saw and/or used were flowing just fine. I think they'd be in just as good or better shape now considering the amount of snow that the eastern US has had.

emeggke
03-02-2010, 19:11
My husband and I are planning on hiking this section in June. Would love any input on the area. It will be our first week long hike, how tough is the terrain? Is 8 miles a day reasonable for beginners? Any thing that we should know that is not in the guides? We are planning on going south from Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry.
Thanks for any input!

Hooch
03-02-2010, 19:15
My husband and I are planning on hiking this section in June. Would love any input on the area. It will be our first week long hike, how tough is the terrain? Is 8 miles a day reasonable for beginners? Any thing that we should know that is not in the guides? We are planning on going south from Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry.
Thanks for any input!The section is nice, albeit a bit on the rocky side. But, in all fairness, it's the mountains, so not unexpected. When my girlfriend and I did it in November, we stayed at Devils Racecourse Shelter, Pogo Memorial Campsite, Dahlgrens Backpack Campground and Crampton Gap shelter. We did it in 4.5 days, but took our time and had shorter days to hike in than you will. Don't miss the views from Annapolis rocks. There are campsites there as well. :D

mdgamewarden
03-02-2010, 21:06
A buddy and I hiked it in 4 days (had to get back to work) in 2002. The first day was like hell getting up from the C&O. We did it in January lucky for us no snow. My wife and I are planning on doing it this year very early in the season. Well be hiking with our pup (her first trip) and were not sure how she is going to camp. Were kinda luck as well that both of us work the normal peoples weekends, so if she has a barking fit no one will be around. I do know that were going to go southbound to avoid that climb.

Hooch
03-02-2010, 22:03
You'll still have your fair share of climbing, but it's not too bad at all really. I thought doing that section SOBO was a very nice hike, Dancer and I really enjoyed it. We did that as our annual autumn hike this past year. This autumn, it's going to be Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. :banana:D:banana:D

tuswm
03-03-2010, 00:13
I did VA to I-70 in Feb, all water sources were flowing great. Water is not a problem this time of year. I do mostly winter hiking.

Ulfhedinn
03-03-2010, 01:24
Anyone know the snow depths? Pretty much all gone here in Baltimore save for the mountains in parking lots.

glessed
03-03-2010, 22:27
If you are going South from Pen Mar, I wouldn't go any further than Raven Rock Shelter on the first day. That's close to 5 miles distance. The climb just South of Pen Mar Park is rocky (large rocks) and short but challenging for your first time out. At the top of the hill make sure that you take the side trail to High Rock. You will enjoy the view. The shelters are all good especially the Ed Garvey Shelter. Also make sure that you take the side trail to Weaverton Cliffs about 2 miles South of the Ed Garvey shelter.

emeggke
03-04-2010, 10:56
Thanks for the information. We will plan on just the 5 miles the first day then and will watch for the spots you mentioned. We are hoping to thru- hike in 2016 after our youngest is out of school. Till then, hoping to get out at least one week a year on the AT, more often locally.

johnnyblisters
03-04-2010, 13:56
Has anyone hit this section lately? Trying to plan a spring break trip and figured we'd go back to the old stomping grounds. I'm really just looking for a snow report.

Ulfhedinn
03-04-2010, 15:53
My plan exactly Johnny, when is your spring break?

bronco
03-04-2010, 22:28
Just came back from hiking from Cowall Shelter to rt 70 foot Bridge 8.8 miles , the water sorces are fine. the snow is over 2 foot deep and we were walking on top most of the way. we did do some post holing, sinking above our knees. my hiking sticks were some help but they kept going through the deep snow. if you are thinking of overnight, stay at the shelters. we day hiked and kept up a good 2 mile per hour pace but it was tough. had a great time . someone built an igloo at the Pine Knob shelter pretty cool!! there was a few people out probably last weekend but not many other track until you get around Annapolis Rocks. hope this helps feel free to ask me any Questions Bronco

robt375
03-04-2010, 22:40
Hiked from Harper's Ferry NOBO to I-70. Snow was deeper than we thought it would be, I'd say an average of 8". South by Harper's ferry was less, the Ed Garvey Shelter was great, albeit with a lot of bird crap. North of that the snow picked up, and we sank in pretty good, made for tough walking, we averaged about 1.7 miles/hour, but the guys I were with weren't in great shape. Stayed at Rocky Run shelter the 2nd night, was also in great shape, and the spring was flowing well.

Ulfhedinn
03-05-2010, 00:58
Well ill be heading out in 2 weeks regardless! Thanks for the info. We have a couple days coming up in the mid 50s so hopefully that will put a dent in it.

daibutsu
03-07-2010, 17:12
Trip report: Pen Mar to Ensign Cowell shelter and return

Just returned from a Pen-Mar to Gathland attempt. Got as far as the Ensign Cowell shelter where already one party of two were bailing next AM. We passed about 5 hikers that had one nube and they were insecure about the descent and climb and camped up on the AT, proper. At 2:00 AM three more appeared, unfortunately the shelter was pretty much full and they tented. WE ALL returned, separately, to Pen Mar. One very experiended and well equipped guy in our group was going on South for a week, he's going back to Ohio.

The trail was super craggy and a few degrees, sun rays, shadows, and of course, time of day made a huge difference in how you'd stumble, slip, fall into 2-3 foot drifts or just skirt the trodded path and walk on firm snow.

For the most part everyone except a few were fairly experienced and the fun factor wasn't just there.

Things might change in a few days, however refeezing slush might male it more unfun for a few more weekends.

johnnyblisters
03-07-2010, 17:36
Word, thanks for the reports. We're thinking of doing the 18th through the 21st but only time will tell.

RETCW4
03-07-2010, 21:22
Thanks. I was going to go from Pen Mar to Caledonia, but I'm glad I didn't go this weekend.

I might try 27-28 March.

pixelgrunt
03-08-2010, 22:15
I just returned from an overnighter on this section. We started at Wolfsville Rd., hiked to Annapolis Rocks and set up camp, then just dropped down to Rt. 40 on sunday morning.

There was still 12-14" of snow on most of the trail. Morning hiking was much easier because the snow was frozen hardpack, it became much more like slush as the day got warmer.

Ulfhedinn
03-10-2010, 02:20
I was planning on leaving the 14th, warm temps and rain in the forecast. Ill keep an eye on any reports. Thanks for the heads up!

jdb
03-13-2010, 13:58
Anyone know how much snow is left on the trail in the southern part of MD as of today? All the rain should help the melt.

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 14:14
marylands an easy hike, the elevation changes are mild and the terrains alot less rocky and precipitous than virginia and pennsylvania. a hike from harpers ferry, wv north to penn mar state park should only take two, three days. great way to spend a weekend