PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail TN/NC Trail Guide available

bsa-troop6
02-28-2010, 22:56
The Benton MacKaye Trail Association just published the first of a series of guidebooks to the BMT. The first is on the TN/NC section from the Ocoee River to the south border of the Smokies, the middle 98 miles of the trail. The guide is published in a 48 page 4.25x11 inch format on shiny durable paper which can be stuffed in your cargo pocket or on a side pocket of your pack. The guide is full of current and historical photos and breaks the trail down into 5-10 mile segments with info on trailheads, topo map of the segment, elevation profile, distance, high and low points, and a description of the segment along with points of interest along the trail. Water and campsite locations are marked on the maps and GPS locations are given. The guidebook sells for $10 on the BMTA website www.bmta.org (http://www.bmta.org). The guidebook is also available at REI in Atlanta and the outdoor stores in Chattanooga and Knoxville as well as at several local visitor centers and bookstores. The next planned guide will cover the GA section from Springer Mtn to the Ocoee River. The third guide will cover the trail through the Smoky Mountains.

SGT Rock
03-01-2010, 04:44
I'm going to get me one.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2010, 08:25
Hey Rick, thanks for the update. I just ordered several maps and guides to the Bartram trail and I need to go ahead and upgrade my BMTA stuff. It was good seeing you guys on the frozen Citico Creek road many days ago--I hope to be on the Rocky Flats trail myself shortly. Any chance of Troop 6 returning down here for another trip?

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 11:06
The Benton MacKaye Trail Association just published the first of a series of guidebooks to the BMT. The first is on the TN/NC section from the Ocoee River to the south border of the Smokies, the middle 98 miles of the trail. The guide is published in a 48 page 4.25x11 inch format on shiny durable paper which can be stuffed in your cargo pocket or on a side pocket of your pack. The guide is full of current and historical photos and breaks the trail down into 5-10 mile segments with info on trailheads, topo map of the segment, elevation profile, distance, high and low points, and a description of the segment along with points of interest along the trail. Water and campsite locations are marked on the maps and GPS locations are given. The guidebook sells for $10 on the BMTA website www.bmta.org (http://www.bmta.org). The guidebook is also available at REI in Atlanta and the outdoor stores in Chattanooga and Knoxville as well as at several local visitor centers and bookstores. The next planned guide will cover the GA section from Springer Mtn to the Ocoee River. The third guide will cover the trail through the Smoky Mountains.

Im going to say this because I have seen both books. The book by our own Sgt Rock is so much better. Much more detail and its presented so much better. Im not saying that because of Rock being a friend, Im saying it cuz its just a better guidebook. Dont waste your money on something that is mediocre, get something that is awesome!

Chaco Taco
03-01-2010, 11:06
PLus it covers the entire BMT

SGT Rock
03-01-2010, 20:02
This one should be the first in the series that will cover the entire BMT eventually. It has more detailed information about the sections than mine does (as I understand it).

SGT Rock
03-01-2010, 20:09
Rick is also the maintenance director of the TN/NC section.

bsa-troop6
03-04-2010, 21:42
The new TN/NC Guide is more oriented toward the weekend and day hiker with detailed maps, directions to the trailheads and detailed information about what to expect about along the trail. It is not really meant to replace the Thru-Hikers Guide being put out by Sgt Rock. Both I and Sgt Rock agree the two books meet a different need and are not really in competition with each other. The BMTA TN/NC guide is for the more casual hiker and backpacker, the Thru-Hiker Guide is for the hard core thru-hiker. The Thru-Hiker Guide has a lot of information about resupply points, etc which are not in the TN/NC Guide. However, the same information in a continually updated format is available on the BMTA website for thru-hikers. In fact, Sgt Rock helps us keep the info up to date and is a co-chair of the BMTA Thru-Hiker Committee. I hope this helps clarify the intent of the two guides being published at the same time.