PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate poncho?

TDale
09-29-2004, 16:35
Anyone used the Exped Bivy-Poncho and Liner? Poncho, bivy, sleeping bag, and shelter all in one.

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/13324/EXP
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/13325/EXP

Of course, you can only use it for one thing at a time.

tlbj6142
09-29-2004, 20:45
You don't want a bivy that isn't made of a breathable material. It will turn into a condensation machine.

Now, a poncho/tarp or poncho/ground cloth isn't a bad combo assuming you don't expect a whole lot of wind when it rains.

Lilred
09-29-2004, 21:33
I'd hate to have only that when a big storm blew in. Check out Six Moon Designs new tarp-tent.

www.sixmoondesigns.com

I ordered one last week. I'll post about it when it arrives.

TDale
09-29-2004, 21:50
I've been studying the lunar solo for a few months now. Great design!

The exped interests me just because of the multi-use aspect.

peter_pan
09-30-2004, 07:39
Tdale
If you like this approach campmor has the same thing made of silnyl . There are to models, reg and an extra long with a velcro fold up bottom rear for non pack use. they wgt 8.5 and 11 oz respectively and cost about $44 and $54 each. save wgt and $.

SalParadise
10-01-2004, 18:23
I have a similar one to what Peter_Pan is describing, from HikeLite I believe. It ran $40 and I got it in a regular sporting goods store.
I haven't used it on a hike yet, but I don't know how the thing could be long enough to work as a full-length tarp, so I'm still taking a waterproof bivvy with it to cover my legs.

Pencil Pusher
10-01-2004, 23:31
This combo mentioned reminded me of the army. They have a similar setup so you could probably get it much cheaper at the surplus store. The condensation is a tradeoff with the weight. You'll still be warm, just 'damp'.

peter_pan
10-02-2004, 00:29
Salparadise,
If you get the long model it is almost exactly the size of the Tarp on a Hennessy Hammock, Backpacker ultra light. It is an easy substitution if you are so inclined. As a ground Tarp it is 5 x 8, or so. Ok as a fairly flat pitch. These minimal size approaches are not for the inexperianced tarper...start with an 8x10, decide you like tarping, weather some storms then push the limits once you have some working knowledge of the risk and limitations. And realise that if your rain gear and shelter are one and the same you better be prepared to stay under the shelter once pitched. Carring a good water resistent wind shirt is a good idea...and know how to pitch it in the rain without getting soaked....not an easy task when it is also the rain gear.

TDale
10-02-2004, 11:45
I'm really a tent-boy at heart. Want my screen and floor. But, as raingear/packcover, emergency shelter, dining tarp, and possible hammock (as exped claims) I like the idea.

Does anyone know if the lighter sil-ny versions would be strong enough to use as a hammock?

SalParadise
10-02-2004, 21:00
Thanks for the note, Pan. I do have the long version, but have the secondary bivvy because I've never believed in completely trusting the water resistance of thin syl-nylon. Plus I'm tall, so my feet and bag will probably stick out anyway.

If you've got a tent, why would you need an emergency shelter? And as a dining tarp, that syl-nylon would quickly melt if anything at all warm was set on it.

TDale
10-03-2004, 18:29
"If you've got a tent, why would you need an emergency shelter? And a dining tarp, that syl-nylon would quickly melt if anything at all warm was set on it."

Assuming that was meant for me, an emergency shelter for dayhiking, trips away from a base camp, or emergency scrambles out of the woods. I use a poncho now as raingear in my essentials kit. As a dining tarp...strung overhead, not on the ground.