PDA

View Full Version : The Conditions and Updates from Springer today!

SurferNerd
02-28-2010, 23:14
So I've been down here in Springer since last night after the Nashville WhiteBlaze meetup. I spent today scouting the area around, and ensuring the safety for the initial weather. The conditions here are great. There's no snow until Blood Mountain, and the temps are pretty good at 35* from the parking lot at the top of Springer. There's a nasty wind blowing around here at 25-40mph and its freezing when in a valley or standing around at Neels Gap. It's great weather down here, looking forward to my start tomorrow morning. The road, USFS Road 42 is slightly muddy, but my low profile car with street tires had no problems getting up or down the mountain. There are some nasty ruts, but most are avoidable. I bid farewell and goodbye to WhiteBlaze for my hike, I'll be around whenever I get cell signal!

Follow my Blog!

SurferNerd
02-28-2010, 23:16
Oh ya. I was the 89th person to sign the registry at Amicolola this morning. The first being 1/1/2010. As of this afternoon, 49 thru hikers signed the registry at Neels Gap. Hopefully the others didn't sign, haven't arrived, or gave up, lol.

Lilred
02-28-2010, 23:21
Have a great time Serfer. It was great meeting you at the dinner. And I'm not Zak's mom!! LOL

Have a great hike, I'm jealous as hell!!

SurferNerd
02-28-2010, 23:25
Have a great time Serfer. It was great meeting you at the dinner. And I'm not Zak's mom!! LOL

Have a great hike, I'm jealous as hell!!

No clue how I picked that up. My brain was frazzled. Anywho, follow my blog I'll be updating it consistantly from the trail.

Cool AT Breeze
03-01-2010, 01:02
Was it you I gave directions in from Doublehead gap Road?

wudhipy
03-01-2010, 01:11
Have a wonderful and safe trip....I'm one week behind ya.

wudhipy :D

Panzer1
03-01-2010, 01:42
you lucky nerd.:banana

Panzer

SurferNerd
03-01-2010, 03:04
Was it you I gave directions in from Doublehead gap Road?

Nope, I followed my GPS coordinates to find it since the actual address is way off in the gps map. I did however have a nice employee take my photo overlooking the valley behind walasi. We spoke briefly, and discussed weather and ice climbing.

Hyway
03-01-2010, 09:50
Good Luck, Surfer. have a great hike. I'll also be a week behind you.

TheKO
03-01-2010, 09:59
Have a great time. Enjoy the journey.

Blissful
03-01-2010, 10:29
One day at a time, one step at a time. But have a good time!

Red Hat
03-01-2010, 11:10
Have a wonderful and safe trip....I'm one week behind ya.

wudhipy :Dso it looks like I'm number three to be a week behind
... great to meet you Surfernerd

Richard Anderson
03-01-2010, 11:37
Hikers at Unicoi Gap reported considerable lenghts of icy trail between Neels Gap and Unicoi Gap. Shaded sides of the higher mts. are icy. Just south of Unicoi Gap there's a mile long section of icy trail, it's too steep to walk on either side of the icy trail, it took nearly two hours to travel that mile. Crampons are highly reccommended.
Precip forecast for 3/1 and 3/2 will likely put more snow on the peaks especially in NC and TN, north GA however will also get dusted.

I run shuttles to/from any point on the ATin GA, will fetch people from 'most anywhere, help out however I can. But, I have to charge a fare fee to pay gas etc. Call me at 706-276-2520, maybe I can help.

More trail updates soon, I"ll be monitoring the conditions. will share whatever I learn.

Tuney
03-02-2010, 11:54
It's snowing all over North Georgia today 3/2/2010. Accumulations are expected up to 6 inches at Blairsville. Good Hiking and be safe to everyone who's already on the trail.