PDA

View Full Version : iPhone app

trunk311
03-01-2010, 01:20
I am currently working on development of an app for the iPhone that includes the maps and data book for the AT. This would be stored on the device so that no wireless conection or signal would be needed to operate. If there were a signal, the app could also interface with Facebook, Whiteblaze and TrailJournals. Also a function of the app could work as a homing device for peace of mind for the family back home. I have a small, lightweight, compact, solar charger called a "SOLIO" that works great on the trail to eliminate battery concerns. The development costs are steep. I already have a prototype, but need to know if this would be a benefit to enough people to make it worth the investment. Please, give me your thoughts.

SurferNerd
03-01-2010, 03:09
I developed an iPhone app for my 2009 hike. I ended up switching carriers because the signal was so bad. Good luck because most users expressed zero interest or desire to pay much of anything for it. I worked with the ATC and ALDHA to get the current companions and guides in my app. The ATC was all aboard, but the ALDHA refused to release digital copies for fear of piracy.

I am currently working on development of an app for the iPhone that includes the maps and data book for the AT. This would be stored on the device so that no wireless conection or signal would be needed to operate. If there were a signal, the app could also interface with Facebook, Whiteblaze and TrailJournals. Also a function of the app could work as a homing device for peace of mind for the family back home. I have a small, lightweight, compact, solar charger called a "SOLIO" that works great on the trail to eliminate battery concerns. The development costs are steep. I already have a prototype, but need to know if this would be a benefit to enough people to make it worth the investment. Please, give me your thoughts.

SurferNerd
03-01-2010, 03:10
Oh ya, I had a Solio...took it back. Worthless under tree cover which is most of the trail.

Keith and Jack
03-01-2010, 11:02
depending on price i would buy it

trailangelbronco
03-01-2010, 11:48
I have heard of some interesting capabilities with the Garmin Oregon 550.

MotoGypsy
03-01-2010, 14:42

I'm interested in an app, however finding a good solar chargers seems to be a nightmare! I haven't tried the Solio but the guy above didn't like it... Have you field tested it much?

pythonathiker
03-01-2010, 20:13
Would you be willing to post some sample screen shots of your prototype? I bought an iPhone last month and am still learning about all the cool apps.

white_russian
03-01-2010, 22:55
wait...hikers, people who find extreme value in function over form, are still trying to use iphones in the woods?

Lumberjack2003
03-01-2010, 23:09
I'd be willing to buy it. Sounds great.

knoth
04-12-2010, 15:29
I'd be very interested for my 2011 NOBO. And by the way: I'd also be willing to pay some money...

SmokeEater
04-12-2010, 16:29
Sounds great. Do u have any idea when u could have it out and price?