PDA

View Full Version : "Weather Proof" on Weather Channel.

mykl
03-01-2010, 12:57
I saw this show yesterday, they were discussing/testing camping gear. I didn't catch the whole thing, but did see the segment about tents and rain gear. Well tents, they tested a cheap Kmart fiberglass (4 person?) dome up against a 4 season, expedition style Marmot tent....to see which held up better in rain/wind/flood. I think it was an unfair test, a $50- cheapo tent vs a what, $600- or so tent! They should have went a little more middle road instead of two extreme differences. Rain gear was a bit better, not much. Only poncho mentioned was those cheap dollar ones, a PVC jacket, a treated wind breaker and, a nice, yet again Marmot jacket.
Wonder who's sponsoring that show :-?
It was interesting to watch, and I think it was aimed more for the novice hiker/camper. Would love to see more shows about gear.

Gray Blazer
03-01-2010, 13:13
So, which one won?

My cheapo walmart puptent that I inherited from my kids was one of the few that didn't blow over on the ridge above Muskrat Creek Shelter in the big storm of April 09. I thought it was kinda funny when all these thrubees were saying they were quitting after their tents blew down AND they got soaking wet. Prolly a fluke. Just sayin'.

mykl
03-01-2010, 14:19
So, which one won?

My cheapo walmart puptent that I inherited from my kids was one of the few that didn't blow over on the ridge above Muskrat Creek Shelter in the big storm of April 09. I thought it was kinda funny when all these thrubees were saying they were quitting after their tents blew down AND they got soaking wet. Prolly a fluke. Just sayin'.

I agree! I had a cheapo that lasted many, many years of abusel.
I think the test was meant for the Marmot to win, and it did. They got dramatic with the cheap tent, showing seams leaking, puddles on floor, wind blowing down tent, poles bending, etc. I think they had the corners staked, but not sure. The Marmot was guyed out to the max. There should have been a $200 or so Kelty, Eureka or something similar in the test.

Powder River
03-02-2010, 17:30
So the takeaway for WC viewers is that they must have an expedition tent to go camping. Great! Should help the ebay market...

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 17:40
So the takeaway for WC viewers is that they must have an expedition tent to go camping. Great! Should help the ebay market...

Or the takeaway is if you have a walmart tent don't go camping in a hurricane. We have postponed trips to when the weather is gonna horrible until it was nicer. We will go when the forecast call for some rain. But our gear is not suitable for nor do we have fun if it is gonna be three days of monsoon type weather. I am not gonna go run out and buy a $400 tent so we can go camping in horrible weather. I think most weekend Walmart tent owning folks are the same way.

(Our tent didn't come from Walmart, my wife bought it at Kmart, so maybe it is hurricane proof. :cool:)

trailangelbronco
03-02-2010, 18:05
Anyone see that backpacker.com vid where they took tents to a car wash, a dude jumped in each tent drinking a beer, and then they blasted each tent full power?

It was pretty funny.

Mountain Wildman
03-02-2010, 18:12
Anyone see that backpacker.com vid where they took tents to a car wash, a dude jumped in each tent drinking a beer, and then they blasted each tent full power?

It was pretty funny.

I saw it, I think the Black Diamond Storm Track won.

Skidsteer
03-02-2010, 19:39

Let me guess. You bought two.

mudhead
03-02-2010, 19:42
Then he dragged it behind his truck.

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 19:59

I will have to get one of those next time I go camping in a car wash.

cwayman1
03-02-2010, 20:06
according to the website, LL Bean is the official supplier for the WeatherChannel's outdoor needs

http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/weatherChannel/index.html

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 20:13
according to the website, LL Bean is the official supplier for the WeatherChannel's outdoor needs

http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/weatherChannel/index.html

official supplier of their rain jackets.

I doubt the weather channel even uses tents, prefering hotels and in a pinch the truck.

No doubt Marmot spends ad dollars to get this rigged.