PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch to Lemon Gap

trailfinder
09-29-2004, 22:24
This will be my son's first time on the AT. My son is 11 years old and I am planning just a short hike from Max Patch to Lemon Gap and then back to Max Patch. I plan on camping at Max Patch and then behind the Walnut Mountain Shelter a little pass Lemon Gap. Questions - I have never been on this part of the AT - is the trail easy to follow?? Is overnight parking at Max Patch safe?? is there a cost for parking??

Thanks!

orangebug
09-29-2004, 23:00
I can't tell you about the safety in parking at Max Patch, but it is free and quite isolated. I'd leave a Ford there, but not a Lincoln.

This section is extremely easy to follow. There are posts along Max Patch outlining the trail. Once in the woods, it is as obvious as any section of the AT. My concern would be the number of days planned for this trip. Lemon Gap has you almost into Hot Springs. Personally, I'd get a shuttle to Max Patch and walk back to Hot Springs, avoiding the back tracking.

Your son could have a last breakfast at the Smokey Mountain Diner and look forward to a burger on his return.

This is a spectacular section, with wonderful views on Max Patch. The terrain is pretty easy. I'd expect it to take both of you 2 full days while having fun and not humping excessively. At the end of Day 1, you would be very happy to get to a grassy gap at the end of a FS road, under power lines with lots of good sites for a tent and not far to go for a hammock site or two. Sorry, I can't come up with the name. There are many places with good camping earlier, with very reliable water.

Lone Wolf
09-30-2004, 05:31
Lemon Gap is only 5.4 miles from Max Patch. Orangebug is thinking of some other gap. Yes the trail is easy to follow. There is no camping behind Walnut Mtn. shelter cuz there is a slope but some spots to the front and sides.

Uncle Wayne
09-30-2004, 05:32
trailfinder,

Here's another thread and the reply I got when I asked about parking at Max Patch.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4427&highlight=max+patch+road

I plan on parking there when I visit the area for a section hike. I'm glad your son is going with you. You'll never regret the time you spend with him on the trail or anywhere else he'll go with you for that matter. Good luck on your hike.

orangebug
09-30-2004, 06:53
Yup, I was thinking of Lemon Mountain, which is home to the last shelter prior to Hot Springs. I recall being confused over the two "lemons" and apparently, I still am. :o

You are talking about a pretty short outing. That should be a real good introduction to the AT and backpacking. Have a blast!

trailfinder
09-30-2004, 08:10
Thank you! As I said in my message - this is my son's first time on the AT and I want the trip to go smoothly for him! Thanks again!

MDSHiker
09-30-2004, 10:01
Yes, I agree. The trail between Max Patch and Walnut Mountain shelter is a nice hike and not strenuous. The hike from Lemon Gap to the shelter is uphill but not too bad. It should be a nice trip. It should be a piece of cake for your 11 yr old...I take my 7yr old daughter backpacking and have found out that she's a lot tougher than she looks!

Lobo
10-01-2004, 09:01
The Trail is easy to follow in clear weather. Several thru-hikers that I hiked with in 2000 reported that they got lost in the Max Patch area in foggy conditions. Hope the sun shines on your hike!