PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stove help

wvgrinder
03-01-2010, 17:15
I'm really thinking of making the switch to an alcohol stove. I was going to make a "pepsi can" stove tonight. Can someone direct me to a site w/ a good design. I found a bunch on youtube-but I trust the input here more.

The design that's impressed me the most so far is one that uses 2 soda cans & a Red Bull can. But I don't have any RB cans around. Thanks.

Two Tents
03-01-2010, 17:34
Try a super cat stove. You don't need much to make one. It works great! http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

JustaTouron
03-01-2010, 17:49
Everything you could possibly want to know about stoves.....

http://zenstoves.net/

jedwa19
03-01-2010, 17:56
I've been playing with making my own alcohol stove for a few weeks. There are tons of things online about making them. So far the simplest one that I like is the penny stove. Taking two coke (or pepsi) bottoms and putting them together. I put about a 1/4" to 1/8" hole in the middle of the top and then putting 16-24 evenly spaced holes in the top just outside the flat part that the can sits on. I find that this gives me a more consistent burn around my pot without the fire going up the side of my pot. You fill it with at the top hole then put a penny over it to help pressurize the fluid inside. I use heet (yellow bottle) in mine and like how it burns. I've just about exhausted all the options without getting into the more complex designs and this is the one i like the most. Good luck. Next I'm going to try the aluminum beer bottle one and then one made from a shaving cream aluminum bottle to match the one that is sold by antigravitygear called T's "side B" alcohol stove.

butts0989
03-01-2010, 18:34
personally i use the Ettowah outfitters rocket stove, but its a bit heavy at 3 ounces. i use it because of its unmatched efficiency and its crazy fast boil time (exactly 4 min). But IMO the Caldera cone stove set from trail designs is hands down one of the best on the market currently.

wvgrinder
03-01-2010, 19:28
personally i use the Ettowah outfitters rocket stove, but its a bit heavy at 3 ounces. i use it because of its unmatched efficiency and its crazy fast boil time (exactly 4 min). But IMO the Caldera cone stove set from trail designs is hands down one of the best on the market currently.

Can you "cook" w/ the Etowah or just boil water? I've read mixed reviews.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-01-2010, 20:16
easier to simply buy one not that expensive and less of a hassle unless you just enjoy doing this type of thing check out the caldera stove mentioned above this is what i use and it works great even in windy weather great boil time
Hillbilly

Skidsteer
03-01-2010, 20:37
I'm really thinking of making the switch to an alcohol stove. I was going to make a "pepsi can" stove tonight. Can someone direct me to a site w/ a good design. I found a bunch on youtube-but I trust the input here more.

The design that's impressed me the most so far is one that uses 2 soda cans & a Red Bull can. But I don't have any RB cans around. Thanks.

You can use Sgt. Rock's Turbo V-8 instructions (http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/sgt_v8stove1.html). They'll work with Pepsi cans if you adjust the dimensions.

RayBan
03-01-2010, 22:20
But IMO the Caldera cone stove set from trail designs is hands down one of the best on the market currently.

+1 on the Caldera: my boil time for 2cups was under 4 minutes in about 35 degree weather around 800 ft. ASL.

butts0989
03-01-2010, 22:53
I mainly just boil water with the ettowah stove, but using its inner ring you can burn it on simmer. If i turn the pot lid upside down it works as a pan for cooking things and works great for sausage and things like that(also made pancakes on it one time). Most alcohol stoves can do this, but the difference with the ettowah is that the inner ring can burn for 25 minutes off of 1oz of alcohol. -(also the total burn time for the post above was using 2 cups of water)-

-Butts-

Inwoods
03-02-2010, 00:14
+2 on the caldera cone. works great for me

Tinker
03-02-2010, 00:18
Supercat stove. It's as simple and light as you can get. The more holes you make the hotter it will burn. Pull the windscreen in tighter to the sides of the pot for a slower burn.
If you want to simmer, get a Trangia and tote the extra couple of ounces.

toothpick
03-02-2010, 00:26
I tried using an alcohol stove last year and didn't like it. It really blackened my pot and was quite messy. My trail buddy had an Esbit stove and I was really impressed so I bought one for myself. Costs about $12 bucks for the stove and the burning cubes were reasonably priced. You may want to check them out also.

Tinker
03-02-2010, 00:31
Alcohol will only blacken your pot if A) It's not denatured alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol will burn but blacken pots) or B) If it doesn't get enough air to burn cleanly.
Otoh - Esbit stinks 100% of the time - doesn't keep me from using it in summer months, though. It's the lightest fuel available and can't spill or leak. BUT it DOES leave a residue on the bottom of your pot, which can be scraped off.

Toolshed
03-02-2010, 00:39
I tried using an alcohol stove last year and didn't like it. It really blackened my pot and was quite messy. My trail buddy had an Esbit stove and I was really impressed so I bought one for myself. Costs about $12 bucks for the stove and the burning cubes were reasonably priced. You may want to check them out also.
Were you using rubbing alcohol?
I you want to use esbit, don't even bother buying the stove. Just flip over your pepsican stove and burn it on that. I made a little grill that sat inside the raised edge to place my esbits on - works perfect with the Scott Henderson G Stove

Tinker
03-02-2010, 00:46
Here's an old pic of some of my experimental stoves: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1201989241059664855LIKyMw
I still like the Supercat best.

Medic!
03-06-2010, 06:31
I personally used these instructions-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0

HOWEVER, the dimensions given aren't quite right. Unfortunately i don't have the correct dimensions on hand (working the overnight truck), but I know that the height of the inner wall is wrong, it should be taller; looks like one comment says 190mm, that sounds about right. Additionally, the outer section (top of the can) is too tall, but can be trimmed to desired height after assembly.

Also, I've found that making the notches in the inner wall as small as possible (1-2mm high, 10 mm wide) makes priming much faster. (my second attempt had high notches, and had the damndest time getting the thing to prime, and couldn't figure out why until attempt 3). Third, the best flame pattern I've found is putting the holes just above the bevel, instead of higher (just under the rim).

It only took three tries to make my current version, which I love, so go trial and error. I'm sure there are better ways yet to make it. Supplies for this are not particularly expensive, if not free!:D

wvgrinder
03-08-2010, 13:54
Thanks everyone. The input is appreciated.

Levlle
03-09-2010, 08:48
This is my stove of choice:

http://www.youtube.com/smallworldtreks#p/u/3/DBCAvQn6vHM

It's tough to beat the simplicity and weight of this design, and it can be made easily on the trail if needed.

eric j
03-09-2010, 09:13
This is my stove of choice:

http://www.youtube.com/smallworldtreks#p/u/3/DBCAvQn6vHM

It's tough to beat the simplicity and weight of this design, and it can be made easily on the trail if needed.
I made the super cat last night, it boiled 2 cups water in less than 3 minutes, very cool. Ill have a hobo and a supercat on my next hike:sun

Rick Hancock
03-09-2010, 09:31
Diggerlit,

Take a look at the Whitebox Stove, you can find a youtube report by Tinny from Mini Bull Designs. Not his stove but he gave it high marks. I've used mine about 4 years they make 2 sizes now. It's pretty much a boil and eat stove no simmer control etc. But... the stove is simple, efficient, lightweight, and low cost for a ready made stove. I burn Heat in the yellow bottle. I've used it in temps down to high 30's low 40's but I tend to warm the stove before adding fuel, heat the bottom with a match, place in my pocket for a couple of minutes etc. I also have used a Trangia (heavy) and an Etowha II. Take a look, I think you'll like it.
Rick

Username75
03-24-2010, 02:45
Try a small esbit & twig Burning stove.
you need a 6 ounce can of tuna
a cheap 2 buck paper punch from Wal-mart.
1 eat the Tuna Optional methodology
WASH OUT THE TUNA CAN!
2 Save the lid as a Snuffer
3 punch 4 holes evenly spaced around the Bottom
which is as far down as the punch goes.
4 punch out 8 evenly spaced Holes nearest to the Top lip
of the Can.
it will also be able to heat water with a tea light Candle
Leaves, Twigs , Grass, triox, Esbit.

daibutsu
03-27-2010, 21:32
google " zelph's stoves " that's about all you need to know....

SerenitySeeker
05-02-2010, 09:42
love the supercat but i dont eat clams...hmmm

Connie
05-17-2010, 14:56
The Small World Treks Snow's Clam can stove is DIY easy: it uses a Snow's Clams can and a paper punch. Make clam chowder or feed the raccoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBCAvQn6vHM

I see Eric J mentioned this one.

I also have a Zelph Super Stove. It works great and it is beautiful.

SerenitySeeker
05-18-2010, 02:07
I just made and tested the hobo, there is a video on utube, i dont know how to put a page connection here for you, sounds like the esbit listed above but with more holes, which burns faster, and uses denatured alcohol, i just pour the denatured alcohol to the holes...i love it, boils my 2 cups of water in 5 minutes tops, including time to get the fire up, 60 seconds or less. i am getting ready to test a hobo variation by using a chain breaker i have and making the holes smaller than the whole punch makes just because it punches the holes easier than the hole punch does...another thing i like about it is i can take the whole punch with me in my pack and it takes 1 minute to make a new one if it needs replaced and the purchase is 50 cents to a dollar depending on what food item you buy, everything from a cheap can of dog food or tuna to clams...any short 4 inch can...