PDA

View Full Version : Snow Shoes

GeneralLee10
03-01-2010, 18:22
How many of you starting in the next week are contemplating getting snow shoes? And have you found any good deals? I don't think 3ft of snow walking all day would be much fun with no snow shoe on.

We all are reading reports of alot of snow on the ground, and some of us can't not push the date back. Or are you not going to hike the trail this year? I have no choice but to pres on, I will see some of you on the 11th.

butts0989
03-01-2010, 18:26
I just asked the same question. Im not doing a Thru hike, but i am hiking from springer to fontana starting on the 5th. The bad places seem to be above 4,000 ft but under that is "somewhat" moderate snow. personally im going to bring YakTrax, but if you know you dont like hiking in snow i would bring snow shoes.

Pickleodeon
03-01-2010, 18:35
be prepared for wet feet for a while. We hiked in snow for a couple of days in the Smokies last year, and did ok without snow shoes, but we weren't really expecting to get 18" of snow in April, either.

It was worse when the snow melted, and when it rained on top of snow. We walked in an icy river off of clingman's dome for miles. One of my worst days on the trail.

Egads
03-01-2010, 21:57
I don't think buying snow shoes for a NOBO thru hike is necessary and would be more trouble than they are worth. But, HYODH.:)

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 23:28
I don't think buying snow shoes for a NOBO thru hike is necessary and would be more trouble than they are worth. But, HYODH.:)

I would typically agree but this has not been a typical winter but don't be surprised if you carry them more than you wear them. Also make sure they are rated high enough to support you and your pack or you will now just be post holing with tennis racquets tied to your feet.:eek:

Tinker
03-01-2010, 23:42
One of the problems with buying snowshoes is that you often buy them for use in dry snow (a large size which won't sink in too far). When the snow becomes wet and heavy (which is what it will be most of the time down south) you end up carrying it on top of your snowshoes half of the time. So I would advise you not to buy too BIG, either. I bought the biggest I could find for winter hiking in the White Mts. of NH. (10"x36"). Great in powder, not so much in wet snow. I weigh around 215 lbs.

Toolshed
03-02-2010, 00:25
Wow 10x36 are overkill here. I did a lot of the ADK high peaks in my sherpa 9x30's or my wife's 8x26's and I am North of 250.

Tinker
03-02-2010, 01:16
Wow 10x36 are overkill here. I did a lot of the ADK high peaks in my sherpa 9x30's or my wife's 8x26's and I am North of 250.
I know! - now :o. Hence the instruction to not buy too big.

Helios
03-02-2010, 05:55
Heading up the Approach Trail on the 9th, no snow shoes, not thoughts of changing my start date. It's my year to hike and come what may I'm hiking the AT! Will a lot of snow make the trail though, sure! Is the trail tough by nature anyway, sure! I expect nothing less. If it were easy more people would be doing it and I would be finding something else.

Just think of the sense of accomplishment. We'll get to brag on how we hiked in the worst snow year ever, or something like that. :-) Beats 95F and mosquitoes any day in my book.

Egads
03-02-2010, 07:28

I would typically agree but this has not been a typical winter but don't be surprised if you carry them more than you wear them. Also make sure they are rated high enough to support you and your pack or you will now just be post holing with tennis rackets tied to your feet.:eek:

I've been hiking each of the last two weekends in the high ridges (+5000 ft) of GSMNP. You don't need snow shoes. Just change your expectations of mileage. You won't get 20+ mpd in the snow, but 10 - 15 is doable. This past weekend, the snow had a hard crust that supported my weight (190 w/ pack) so I sank only 3-4 inches each step. And someone else has already broken ground on the AT which makes it much easier and faster than hiking thru virgin snow.

Also, I hiked over miles of snow pack at Glacier NP two years ago w/o snow shoes. I was glad to have insteps & an ice axe for that hike.

Carry snow shoes if that's what you want to do, but it's not necessary. HYODH :-?

GeneralLee10
03-02-2010, 08:34
no snow shoes I like to hear that. I didn't think they would be needed, just thinking about 4' snow. Made me question myself to the point of asking.

drifters quest
03-02-2010, 11:18
I will be starting the 11th; I won't be bringing snow shoes (at least not to start with). I will likely be picking up a pair of yaktracks or microspikes though with all this talk of ice

sasquatch2014
03-02-2010, 13:46
I will be starting the 11th; I won't be bringing snow shoes (at least not to start with). I will likely be picking up a pair of yaktracks or microspikes though with all this talk of ice

Hey you've been out in WYO for a while now so to use the often heard phrase......Cowgirl up!

Have a great hike and give me a shout when you make it up to NY. Who knows maybe I'll see you on the trail somewhere.

Lemni Skate
03-02-2010, 14:02
Yeah, we had a lot of snow, but it's over pretty much for the South. I'm sure there will still be some snowfalls, but in March and especially April, once it snows it won't stay on the ground for long. I mostly worried about people trying the trail in February as we can definitely go weeks without cracking 32 degrees. At this point you'll pretty consistently hit upper 40's most days so the snow is not going to accumulate for long. I'd say at this point be more prepared for slop than snow.

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:21
:-) Beats 95F and mosquitoes any day in my book.

You'll have that too. Don't worry. Our snow in '07 came in April. Twice.

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:23
I would bring yak trax for sure but not snow shoes. Just take it easy. The trail will be broken. I actually found it easier trying to cover snowier sections in the AM before it turned to slush. But of course that can't be helped, depending on where you're at.

climber2377
03-02-2010, 14:35
i do not have snow shoes and i will not have them on the 14th when i land in GA, are they something i ve considered... no. i ve never hiked with anything but boots on my feet in all kinds of terrain. i am definately bringing poles. if it is a slow day, its a slow day, i ll make it up in VA. i ve got months ahead of me. be safe.

my $.02

Ramble~On
03-02-2010, 15:50
There is a lot of snow in the mountains and it's snowing pretty hard right now. I doubt I'd hike with snowshoes but I would take waterproof socks and a couple pairs of Alpaca socks to keep my feet dry and warm. My thoughts go out to all those early starters who are living in this right now. They'll have stories to tell and hopefully photos to share.