PDA

View Full Version : # of women on the trail in the last 5 years

Mrs Baggins
03-01-2010, 18:55
I don't know where to post this so I'll start here. I'm starting a Maryland chapter of Trail Dames (founding chapter is in Atlanta) and I'm going to be interviewed by our local newspaper about it. I'd like to have some stats about women and hiking for the reporter. So, does anyone know if the number of women who hike has gone up, down? Thru-hikers? Up, down? Anyone know any interesting stats about women in general? The interview will be the week of Mar 22nd.

Blissful
03-01-2010, 20:20
Might check with Laurie at ATC - she may know stats of women 2,000 milers anyway

Mrs Baggins
03-02-2010, 05:55
Might check with Laurie at ATC - she may know stats of women 2,000 milers anyway

I realized that last night, after I posted the question. I will definitely ask her! I'd still like any stats/info anyone else might have as well. :D

Turtle Feet
03-02-2010, 23:57
I don't know where to post this so I'll start here. I'm starting a Maryland chapter of Trail Dames (founding chapter is in Atlanta) and I'm going to be interviewed by our local newspaper about it. I'd like to have some stats about women and hiking for the reporter. So, does anyone know if the number of women who hike has gone up, down? Thru-hikers? Up, down? Anyone know any interesting stats about women in general? The interview will be the week of Mar 22nd.

When you get the stats - would you mind posting here as well? I'd love to know myself!

Mrs Baggins
03-03-2010, 06:55
When you get the stats - would you mind posting here as well? I'd love to know myself!

Absolutely!

rickb
03-03-2010, 07:36
This NPS Document might be of interest.

Page 181 (to start)

http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/upload/Main_Report-3.pdf

berkshirebirder
03-03-2010, 09:17
Interesting info, thanks for posting the link, rickb. Note that the survey was taken in 1999, so current data may vary to some degree .

skinny minnie
03-03-2010, 09:25
Isn't there a guy in New Hampshire (near Lyme I think) who was doing some sort of census on the number of female hikers and let everyone get water at his house? Or did I make that up? I stopped there on a weekend with my friends who were thru-hiking... but nobody was home at the time.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 09:27
[QUOTE= Anyone know any interesting stats about women in general? [/QUOTE]

i know i like them.

seriously, in answer to your query,.....324 is the current number

modiyooch
03-03-2010, 10:03
Isn't there a guy in New Hampshire (near Lyme I think) who was doing some sort of census on the number of female hikers and let everyone get water at his house? Or did I make that up? I stopped there on a weekend with my friends who were thru-hiking... but nobody was home at the time.I believe I met him. I got ice cream!! He shook my hand. The only requirement for ice cream was to log into the book with stats.

skinny minnie
03-03-2010, 10:14
I believe I met him. I got ice cream!! He shook my hand. The only requirement for ice cream was to log into the book with stats.

Yeah! That's him. Ice cream and water - there was a sign. Wasn't sure if I made it up but I thought it was the case :)

Maybe Jack Tarlin knows him? he would definitely have some very current info.

Mrs Baggins
03-03-2010, 10:27
This NPS Document might be of interest.

Page 181 (to start)

http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/upload/Main_Report-3.pdf

Thank you. Found that all very interesting! It's a place to start anyway.....

Lizard08
03-13-2010, 14:23
I met the ice cream guy, although I didn't know he was counting female hikers. I guess if he was, free ice cream would be a good way to bring us in for the count!
I also found that NPS document interesting.

Jeff
03-13-2010, 14:28
For both 2008 and 2009 our hostel in Manchester Center, VT had 70% male and 30% female.