PDA

View Full Version : is 5 Lbs 3 ozs. heavy for a pack

OnThePath
03-02-2010, 02:20
I bought an osprey aether 70 pack is wieghs 5 Lbs 3 ozs. it feels comfortable with 35 pounds in it. 5 days of food. Is the 5 lbs 3 oz pack heavy enough that i should think about taking it back and getting a lighter one? this is still possible.

jedwa19
03-02-2010, 02:29
I think it all depends on how you are looking at it. There are tons of people that are into the light and ultralight backpacking scene that would shutter at the thought of a pack that weights that much. There are others that aren't ounce counters that use a pack that weights about that much. I personally use the osprey atmos 65 which weights about 3lbs 11 oz, I love it because it gives me a light pack with the frame stability I like.
The main thing is that it is comfortable when you wear it and hike. I'll take a heavy pack that I feel comfortable wearing over an ultralight pack that is uncomfortable any day.

thelowend
03-02-2010, 03:09
imo, you could have gotten lighter for the money with the same quality.. maybe not with all the bells and whistles but those ula packs are mighty durable i hear and very reasonably priced. im planning on purchasing an ohm or a circuit myself.

thelowend
03-02-2010, 03:11
i retract my bells and whistles statement. but a ula pack is lighter. as long as you are comfortable you can hike with what ya got and get a lighter pack eventually or try to lighten the load inside the aether.

jesse
03-02-2010, 03:13
Is it comfortable walking up and down Mountains?

One bit of advice I have seen over and over on this site is: Buy your pack last. Because what you need is the smallest/lightest pack that will hold all your gear, and fit comfortably on your back. Your pack is 4500cc. Do you need all that space?

A 5lb 3oz pack would be way to heavy for me.

Roughin' It
03-02-2010, 03:33
Is the 5 lbs 3 oz pack heavy enough that i should think about taking it back and getting a lighter one? \

.......yes

prain4u
03-02-2010, 05:18
In my opinion, yes! (Though some would disagree)

Look at this pack instead (ULA Catalyst):
http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Just 2 lbs 15 oz. and will probably do the trick for many hikers.

(Here is the Osprey Aether for comparison:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.ph...ab=description (http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=186&colorCode=673&tab=description) )

The Osprey Aether is a nice pack and perhaps has some features that the ULA Catalyst doesn't--but the packs are comparable in many ways--including price and approximate size. However, the Osprey can carry up to 60-70 lbs at its uppermost limit. The ULA Catalyst has a suggested maximum of 40 lbs. (I no longer go over 40--so O.K. for me).

Catalyst weighs over 2 lbs less. That is a big thing for me.

Some would say the Aether has a better load bearing suspension. It also has more compartments and more pockets and more openings to access your gear. It also comes with a detachable "fanny pack"/top cover. However, you pay for all of that that in the added weight.

For me, the savings in weight is more important than having the added features. (Some people would decide just the opposite).

Jim Adams
03-02-2010, 05:36
If it is comfortable for you then don't pay attention to what others say...comfort is the prime issue here. Two pounds of weight difference is nothing if you are happy with how it carries.
Don't let the gram weenies get into your head and possibly ruin your hiking because it isn't the pack that they would use. I once had a buddy that set lap times at a race 2 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else...no one could come close. When the bikes where weighed at check in his was the heaviest in the field. That fact worked on his head so much that he finished next to last in the race.
The moral here is use what works for YOU.
If your pack is 27 lbs. loaded then it is heavier than a 25 lb. pack because of your pack...if your pack is 60 lbs. loaded it is not because of your 2 pound heavier pack.

geek

Bleemus
03-02-2010, 07:18
You can knock a pound off that pack instantly by removing the strap laden top pocket. It is an awkward fanny pack at best and you have plenty of room for everything without it.

Red Beard
03-02-2010, 07:28
I have an old Gregory Lassen. It has a huge suspension system, and rides fairly well. However, I'm not 20 anymore and weight makes a big difference to my knees now. I recently got a ULA Circuit, and IMHO, it's the best pack I've ever owned. I've taken it on a couple of 12 mile day-hikes so far, and I absolutely love the way it rides.

Egads
03-02-2010, 07:34
I bought an osprey aether 70 pack is weighs 5 Lbs 3 ozs. it feels comfortable with 35 pounds in it. 5 days of food. Is the 5 lbs 3 oz pack heavy enough that i should think about taking it back and getting a lighter one? this is still possible.

I would get a smaller & lighter pack...but this is for your back; you decide.

bigcranky
03-02-2010, 07:49
My lovely wife carries an Osprey Ariel 55, which is the women's version of the Aether 60 and weighs 4 pounds even. It's two pounds heavier than a comparable pack from ULA or SMD or even some similar packs from Osprey. She doesn't care -- it fits better than anything else she tried (and man, did she ever try on packs), and it carries better, and she's not ever carrying more than 25 pounds or so, so it doesn't really matter. She used to carry a Lowe Sirocco, which weighed around 7 pounds, so this is much lighter anyway.

For me, on the other hand, I couldn't imagine carrying a 4 or 5 pound pack again. My <2 pound SMD Starlite carries what I need and is comfortable and easy to use. An extra three pounds of pack would seriously get into my head -- I could have three more pounds of Snickers Bars instead!!

So it's up to you. If you love the pack, use it. Enjoy your hike. The only other thing I would mention is the size - the Aether 70 is pretty big, and when I use a large pack I tend to fill it up. I used an Aether 60 for a few years, and I thought that was a big pack. You might see if your gear would fit in a 60, and that would save a pound while keeping the comfort of the suspension. Another option would be to look at the Osprey Exos 58, which is a nice big pack with a good suspension that weighs about 2.5 pounds, or half the weight of your current pack. If you find it comfortable, that's a nice savings on weight.

Good luck. Don't stress on the gear. Too much, anyway.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2010, 07:51
I bought an osprey aether 70 pack is wieghs 5 Lbs 3 ozs. it feels comfortable with 35 pounds in it. 5 days of food. Is the 5 lbs 3 oz pack heavy enough that i should think about taking it back and getting a lighter one? this is still possible.

no. keep it. it'll be fine

4shot
03-02-2010, 09:50
For what it is worth, my "old" pack weighs about 6 lbs. more or less. I tried a pack that was two pounds less because I thought that would be an easy way to shed some weight. After trying it out,I got rid of it...no way was it as comfortable for me as the old one. That was even with a 35 lb. load so I can't say I had too much weight in it. I say if you like your old pack and it works, keep it.Just my opinion.

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 10:00
Sometimes those who follow or preach the UL religion forget that weight reduction is a means not an end.

The goal should not be to have the lightest pack possible as measured by a scale, but the lightest, most comfortable pack as measured by ones own back.

This is not to say lighter is not better. Lighter is more often than not better. A 20lb pack is almost certainly more comfortable than a 60lb one. But the reason you want to go light is to be more comfortable. Adding 35lbs to a 5lb pack results in a 40lb load. Adding 35lbs to a 2lb pack results in a 37 lb load. If the 40lb load "feels light" than the 37lb load, then you are better off with the 40lb load. If the 37lb load feels lighter than by all means go lighter.

Keep in mind that your 5lb pack is designed in mind to carry loads in the 30-60lb range. The UL packs are designed in mind that they will have 20 lb or so in them. While they may be durable enough to withstand 35lbs or even 60lbs, they are not designed to comfortably distribute that much weight.

The only true way for you to know for certain which pack is best, is to load the one you own up with 35lbs of gear, put it on your back. Then load another pack you are considering with the same 35lbs of gear and put it on and see which one "feels lighter."

garlic08
03-02-2010, 10:16
I also shudder at the thought of carrying a five-pound pack again. But for me, the pack itself gradually got lighter only because the load got lighter. (It made no sense at all to carry 15 pounds of stuff in a five pound bag. So I started using one pound packs and they work great for me.) So I agree with all those above who say that the pack has to carry the load well.

I also shudder when I see 40# loads in packs designed for 25# loads, not uncommon on the AT. That looks miserable, and is a recipe for failure. It's a common and wise saying here on WB that one should choose the pack after the all the other gear is worked out.

buz
03-02-2010, 10:35
I have that pack, bought for scouting and general backpacking that I do now. It is great fit, way comfortable, and easily carries up to 35 # loads comfortably. Over that, for me, not terrible, but out of the comfortable range. Very large pack, which is great if you need room.

My suggestions, get rid of the lid/fanny pack. Never needed it, stupid design that you have to use the belt off the pack which is a pain to remove. There goes 1/2 pound.

Test walk around with heavy load, is it really comfortable? If so, keep it, but if you can get like a ULA pack for the same $, why not try that.

I like the pack, good workhorse, but if I was going on a thru hike, no way would I go with that one. Too many good packs at significant less weights available.

Good luck.

DrRichardCranium
03-02-2010, 11:03
It's funny listening to the gram weenies say that a 5 pound pack is too heavy, and then thinking about the external frame packs we used in the 1980s.

How did we ever manage to hike back then, if a 5 pound pack is too heavy?

bummer72
03-02-2010, 11:06
I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ditch my cover/lid. I doubt I'd ever use it as a fanny pack anyways... What would you all suggest for a cover instead of that lid...I'm thinking design thougts of a DIY thingy that would perform the same, but weigh much less.

sbhikes
03-02-2010, 11:11
Is your big back going to be too big? I would return it for another Osprey that's a couple pounds lighter. Their packs are well-made and can handle a decent load well.

I started out on the PCT with a 1900 cubic inch frameless pack that I sewed on some extra mesh pockets on the back to carry a bit more stuff. It was light but so uncomfortable. I had to carry so much heavy water. After about 500 miles of that, I bought an Osprey Aura 65. It's almost 4lbs but the weight of all that water actually felt less when it was in that pack. I loved that pack.

Eventually I learned a lot about managing water and my overall gear started to get smaller and pretty soon the Osprey was mostly empty. It seemed kind of pointless so I went back to using a small frameless pack.

It has to be the right pack for the job.

JAK
03-02-2010, 11:18
Mine was 6.5 pounds, which made it a little easier to part with. It is surprisingly difficult to make a heavy pack lighter. Much of the weight was in the strap and hip belt. I got rid of the pack cover and the aluminum struts, but they weighed very little. In the end I gave it to my neighbour in the hope that he would catch the bug. He works out alot with weights, and is pretty lean, so the extra 4 pounds shouldn't bother him too much. I use a Jam2 now in Fall/Winter/Spring, and in summer when hiking with my daughter. Alone in summer I use a 10oz daypack and go primitive light.

Nothing wrong with a 5 pound pack for carrying 35 pounds, especially if you are not overweight. If you are overweight I would question the 35 pounds as much as I would question the 5 pounds. Much of the weight of a 5 pound pack is in places where it isn't needed. A 3-4 pound pack should be able to carry 30-40 pounds. For 15-20 pounds a 2 pound pack should be sufficient, and just as comfortable if it is packed right.

So yeah, a 5 pounds pack for 35 pounds is about 2 pounds heavy, but there is probably much more weight to be saved in the gear being carried. When you reduce that weight to something more reasonable, like 15-25 pounds, depending on food and climate, that is when you really start to sense that a 5 pound pack is about 3 pounds heavy. Still, a 6.5 pound pack was much easier to part with than a 5 pound pack would have been. lol

George
03-02-2010, 11:36
If you feel you may have to carry a lot of water at some point even for a short time, do winter camping, hike with children/family when you may carry extra or be setting up a base camp try this pack with 50lb if it is tolerable and you want 1 pack to do it all then go with it, otherwise for normal trail hiking situations any pack over 3.5 lb is to much IMO

Two Speed
03-02-2010, 12:10
I bought an osprey aether 70 pack is wieghs 5 Lbs 3 ozs . . . this is still possible.Sounds big and heavy to me, but you're also getting a lot of good advice: if you like it and are able to cover the miles you want go for it. If not do something else. It's all good.

Graywolf
03-02-2010, 12:17
Here are soem packs to check out..They are in the 3lb range, and offers great support on your back and shoulders..The one thing I do like is the "breathing system" they have between your pack and back..Look at the Aircontact Lites..

www.deuterusa.com (http://www.deuterusa.com)

There are way more packs out there that are light weight, durable, and strong, than the ULA's...

Just thought I would add this in here..

Graywolf

jersey joe
03-02-2010, 12:27
It's not TOO heavy...I used heavier.

jcramin
03-02-2010, 12:27
If you feel you may have to carry a lot of water at some point even for a short time, do winter camping, hike with children/family when you may carry extra or be setting up a base camp try this pack with 50lb if it is tolerable and you want 1 pack to do it all then go with it, otherwise for normal trail hiking situations any pack over 3.5 lb is to much IMO

That is why my next pack will be the Osprey aether 70.

J

OnThePath
03-02-2010, 12:40
Thanks for your advice everyone. It was very helpful.

Mags
03-02-2010, 12:41
It's funny listening to the gram weenies say that a 5 pound pack is too heavy, and then thinking about the external frame packs we used in the 1980s.

Like a Jansport that weighed 3 lbs? :D

Some of the older gear was actually LIGHTER than the SUV-like gear that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. Over engineered, lots of bells and whistles and doodads.

The simple external frames of the 1970s and 1980s were often (not always) lighter than the packs that were touted by EMS,REI, etc not too long ago. A simple aluminum frame and nylon sack is pretty much the KISS principle personified.

weary
03-02-2010, 14:33
It's not TOO heavy...I used heavier.
As did I when I was backpacking with three kids of grade school age. When the youngest was three, I would often carry 65 pounds. But not for great distances. We would hike in 3-4 miles, set up camp, and do day hikes for a day or two before, backpacking out.

But I'm still not into ultralight. A five pound pack still strikes me as being within a reasonable range, especially when doing late fall and early spring walks. These things involve tradeoffs. I like to be prepared for adverse weather conditions. One can be comfortable on the trail, or comfortable in camp as when tenperatures drop to zero and 11 inches of snow falls on Katahdin on June 11, as it did one year.

Weary

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:39
I carried a 6.5 lb Lowe pack through half the trail. But there was no way I could have made it through NH and ME with it. Glad I got my Gregory Jade.

skinewmexico
03-02-2010, 14:54
I don't feel like I'm giving up anything by using a ULA Catalyst and Circuit. I also don't understand people that just hate someone cutting some weight. It's no different than using the latest technology in computers. And my external frame packs in the 70s were pretty light, before the internal frame craze made a 6# pack normal. Go look at pack tests from Backpacker mag in the 70s, most are 3# or less.

Mountain Wildman
03-02-2010, 14:54
5 pounds 3 ounces,
How could anyone carry such a heavy pack?
:-)

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2010, 15:19
its not the weight of the pack that matters! my external frame backpack is the ****!
& its not all about the gear!

lobo41
03-02-2010, 15:39
I have a Gregory Triconi that weighs in a 5lbs 5ozs. Although many would say it is too heavy, it is an extremely comfortable pack. I happy with it and not looking to change.

trailangelbronco
03-02-2010, 16:22
I have a Deuter ACT lite 65-10 and love it.

Here are soem packs to check out..They are in the 3lb range, and offers great support on your back and shoulders..The one thing I do like is the "breathing system" they have between your pack and back..Look at the Aircontact Lites..

There are way more packs out there that are light weight, durable, and strong, than the ULA's...

Graywolf

AeroGuyDC
03-02-2010, 17:51
I'm perfectly happy with my Osprey Aether 70. I did a very technical overnight circuit hike in 10+ inches of snow and lots of steep hills and rocks this past weekend and couldn't be any happier with how my Osprey loaded down with 35 pounds handled. While concentrating on every single step, I barely noticed the Aether 70 even back there. I plan to use it on my upcoming 112-mile section hike in April and have no reservations whatsoever using that pack.

johnnybgood
03-02-2010, 17:56
Your pack is UL compared to my 98 liter CampTrails Wilderness pack that weighs in at just under 6 lbs . Not the lightest pack I've ever shouldered but working great for me after 9 years so I'm not complaining.

Conversely, my tent & sleeping bag together weigh less than the pack at 5.lbs 10 ounces.

I'll never be mistaken for a UL gram counter and that's okay by me 'cause I figure as a section hiker ...hiking no more than 7 days at a time, my packing list is quite conservative .

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not knockin' the ulralight philosophy here just sayin' that the contents of the pack also need to be considered.

JAK
03-02-2010, 17:57

GraywolfPerhaps the only company that even attempts to make decent packs for kids. It would be nice to see some UL kids packs. They need them even more than we do.

JAK
03-02-2010, 17:59
I've been thinking about this one for my daughter...
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=JuniorMoss&sub=family&tert=family

Jim Adams
03-02-2010, 19:10
I've given up on all my hot, uncomfortable internal frame packs and gone bace to my 3 lb. external...waaayyyyy more comfortable.

geek

WILLIAM HAYES
03-02-2010, 19:21
its too heavy look at the ULA Catalyst

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2010, 19:26
its too heavy look at the ULA Catalyst
i recieved a free catalyst from my outfitter to try out,tried it out once and sold it as fast as i could!:D

Lone Wolf
03-02-2010, 19:26
it's not too heavy at all :rolleyes:

sbhikes
03-02-2010, 20:50
Some of the older gear was actually LIGHTER than the SUV-like gear that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. Over engineered, lots of bells and whistles and doodads.

The simple external frames of the 1970s and 1980s were often (not always) lighter than the packs that were touted by EMS,REI, etc not too long ago. A simple aluminum frame and nylon sack is pretty much the KISS principle personified.

That might be true. I have an old frame pack I bought at Big 5 for $50 in the early 80s. It doesn't really seem all that heavy.

just dad
03-02-2010, 21:40
I've been thinking about this one for my daughter...
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=JuniorMoss&sub=family&tert=family

My kids hiked with the deuter fox 30 for a couple years. They were nice packs, but way too heavy ( I recall around 2 1/2 pounds). Last year I switched them to the Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet. My daughter has now grown to the point that she fits the ULA Circuit, and I recently bought that pack for her. Chris at ULA was tremendous and ULA made minor custom adjustments to the pack at no additional cost. I have been carrying the ULA Catalyst for three years. It is a great pack.

JAK
03-02-2010, 22:31
My daughter is 10, but 6th percentile, 60 pounds, 4'3". I won't let her carry much more than 5 pounds any distance. There really isn't any packs for kid's that size, that aren't overbuilt. My daypack is 10oz. I've been thinking about modifying it. I carry everything, but its nice if she can take her jacket on and off, that sort of thing. A very small light pack is suitable for that sort of thing. Her LLBean school packs are WAY overbuilt.

We did a very ruggged 20km in one day on the Fundy Footpath when she was 8.
She has no trouble outpacing me as long as I don't use her as a pack mule.

JAK
03-02-2010, 22:41
To be clear, I've been thinking about modifying my 10oz daypack to fit her.
She can wear it now, but it droops down around her bum.

When I overnight hike with her I use my 20oz 3100ci Jam2.

Actually, those trackand field "sack packs" are great for kids Margarets size.
We have one she uses for track, but we haven't used it on hikes yet.
I think that's the ticket for this summer.

cowpoke
03-02-2010, 22:43
No..it's not....if you like it and it fits you...and comfortable....go for it!!!

JAK
03-02-2010, 22:58
The really sad thing about these heavy packs is how much people pay for them.
That's the reason they keep making overbuilt packs. They sell for more money.

Same with lots of stuff. Hiking boots, rain jackets, even running shoes.
Even with the UL movement, heavy junks sells for more than light junk.

1.2 lb 3200ci pack = $100
4.5 lb 3200ci pack = $200

Tinker
03-02-2010, 23:09
My first REAL pack (Gregory Shasta, made in the USA), which I bought in 1991, weighed 5lb. 11 oz. for roughly 5,000 cu. in. I could carry a whole extra PERSON in it if I wanted to. The hip belt was as comfy as my couch at home. I normally carried 30-40 lbs. for a three-four day trip!
Now that my average weight for the same trip is around 20-25 lbs. I don't need that much pack. I use a 14 oz. Golite Dawn (discontinued), or a 1lb. 3 oz. Granite Gear Virga, which is a little bigger, so I use it for the winter. I like the Golite better, but that's only because it fits me perfectly.
You have to determine what works for you and go with it. I'm pretty careful with my gear, and the Golite pack is just starting to show signs of wear after about 400 trail miles.

fredmugs
03-03-2010, 17:27
Beating a dead horse here but comfort is the key. I have a 4.5 lb military pack that has never caused any problems with 40 lbs in it. I have a 15 ounce GoLite that kills my back with 20 lbs in it because there is no waist belt.

Fit and comfort.

JustaTouron
03-03-2010, 17:36
The really sad thing about these heavy packs is how much people pay for them.
That's the reason they keep making overbuilt packs. They sell for more money.

Same with lots of stuff. Hiking boots, rain jackets, even running shoes.
Even with the UL movement, heavy junks sells for more than light junk.

1.2 lb 3200ci pack = $100
4.5 lb 3200ci pack = $200

JAK - How you you like a 6 oz 3200ci pack for only $10? I can send you one.

How is that possible you ask? Simple it is a plastic garbage bag with two straps made of rope. Hmm... maybe not a great deal afer all.

1.2 lb 3200 pack that only cost $100 that can't carry more than 20# of gear without causing pain and that will fall about in a month if you load it with 25# of gear is not a great plan if you have 35# of hear and the 4.5# bag can handle easily.

JAK
03-03-2010, 19:40
The Go-Lite Jam2 is often on sale for $100. I got mine somewhere between Niagara Falls and Albany. At that mall that has the old Merry-Go-Round. Its a large. 3200ci I think.

JAK
03-03-2010, 19:44
Sorry, I didn't read your entire post. Let's just agree to disagree.