PDA

View Full Version : Decison on paks!!

zeus307
03-02-2010, 13:21
:-?Not your normal question I think. I need advice. I have 2 external frame paks that I use and like using both of them. On is 3800 cubic in., the other is 5500 cubic inch. Both are very good and I like hiking with both. The question I have, the larger of the 2 paks is just so tall, but it does very well for me. I am about to section hike part of the trail in North Georgia in about a month for 8-9 days. I just don't want to seem like I am over packed, but if i use the larger of the 2 paks I by no means plan on using it's entire capacity. The larger pack is just tall and looks bigger than it is, but does so well for me, I just don't want to seem like I brought the kitchen sink. Make sense? Any help or comments greatly appreciated.:D

Ender
03-02-2010, 13:23
Who care how it looks. If it works perfectly for you, use it. That's my $.02

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 13:31
So let me see if I understand this.....

You have a pack you really like.....it is bit bigger than necessary...but you have the self discipline not to fill it with unnecessary junk so it won't be too heavy....

You're only worry is that some gram counting weenie is gonna think you overpacked and make fun of you.

Do I have that correct?

If so my smartass response is....Are you hiking the AT or worried about what book bag to bring carry to school on the first day of middle school cause you don't want the other kids to make fun of you?

sbennett
03-02-2010, 13:35
So let me see if I understand this.....

You have a pack you really like.....it is bit bigger than necessary...but you have the self discipline not to fill it with unnecessary junk so it won't be too heavy....

You're only worry is that some gram counting weenie is gonna think you overpacked and make fun of you.

Do I have that correct?

If so my smartass response is....Are you hiking the AT or worried about what book bag to bring carry to school on the first day of middle school cause you don't want the other kids to make fun of you?

I second this...although I don't know what a "pak" is.

Mountain Wildman
03-02-2010, 14:18
Zeus307,
It may just be me but it seems like some of the members of this site can be a little harsh on those who post a sincere question.
I applaud your courage for posting the question.
I will more than likely carry my 7500 cu. in. Mystery Ranch G7000 Backpack on my Thru-Hike next year whether it is full or not.
And you can be sure I will be confronted about it.
Ask me if I care what anyone will think about it.
(Previous question is rhetorical)

wvgrinder
03-02-2010, 14:27
I say don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Hell, this was my lunch box through the 11th grade:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kVBIKsx0ZqQ/S4xDDmweLbI/AAAAAAAAEI8/g-ujgFqPobQ/s400/Picture+7.png

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:29
Don't worry what people think. It ain't a fashion show. :) I had a guy tell me with my oversized pack in the Smokies I'd never make it. Well I did for nearly half the trail before I downsized. And made it. You're only going for a little over a week. Take what works for you.

(and lots of posts are in jest. It isn't mean necessarily to be harsh. But in this case, HYOH with the pack you want)

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:30
I say don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Hell, this was my lunch box through the 11th grade:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kVBIKsx0ZqQ/S4xDDmweLbI/AAAAAAAAEI8/g-ujgFqPobQ/s400/Picture+7.png

I loved that show. Also Nancy Drew.

flemdawg1
03-02-2010, 14:33
Why not take the smaller pack? 3800cubes seems like a fairly reasonable size.

Blissful
03-02-2010, 14:36
Zeus307,

I will more than likely carry my 7500 cu. in. Mystery Ranch G7000 Backpack on my Thru-Hike next year whether it is full or not.
And you can be sure I will be confronted about it.
Ask me if I care what anyone will think about it.
(Previous question is rhetorical)

A thru hike is different. More than likely you will not carry it the whole way. It is really tough carrying a pack that size in NH and ME too. There are also times you need to decide if you are carrying a pack to make some kind of statement or you really want to enjoy the hike and not sacrifice it to injury from long distance and the pounding you endure from an oversized pack.

climber2377
03-02-2010, 14:39

lol... i think mine was the dukes of hazard or something, but definately not in the 11th grade

climber2377
03-02-2010, 14:44
wonder how tall you are? does all your gear fit nicely in the 3800? and which pack do you feel more comfortable in? it sounds like you are leaning towards the bigger pack. i m sure it doesnt add too much to the total weight of what you are carrying vs. the 3800, or does it? again it isnt always about weight or look, i think comfort comes before both of these.

Mountain Wildman
03-02-2010, 14:49
A thru hike is different. More than likely you will not carry it the whole way. It is really tough carrying a pack that size in NH and ME too. There are also times you need to decide if you are carrying a pack to make some kind of statement or you really want to enjoy the hike and not sacrifice it to injury from long distance and the pounding you endure from an oversized pack.

I suppose that is true, I just got the pack and will be trying it out here in N.H. on the A.T. when it warms up a little. I know it is large by Thru-Hike standards and have thought about buying a smaller pack but I already have this one and it cost quite a few pesos. Supposedly the quality and suspension system is superior to other packs.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2010, 14:57
:-?Not your normal question I think. I need advice. I have 2 external frame paks that I use and like using both of them. On is 3800 cubic in., the other is 5500 cubic inch. Both are very good and I like hiking with both. The question I have, the larger of the 2 paks is just so tall, but it does very well for me. I am about to section hike part of the trail in North Georgia in about a month for 8-9 days. I just don't want to seem like I am over packed, but if i use the larger of the 2 paks I by no means plan on using it's entire capacity. The larger pack is just tall and looks bigger than it is, but does so well for me, I just don't want to seem like I brought the kitchen sink. Make sense? Any help or comments greatly appreciated.:D
did you mention what kind of packs you own? i use a kelty super tioga when thruhiking, i believe they are 3900cu. inch i also carried all my dogs gear. i love the way externals keep the weight off your shoulders and place the weight on your hips and legs! and with the external pockets im well organized at all times. im usually out of camp within 15 minutes. externals do weigh more but IMO they carry the weight better! and the overall load feels lighter than it actually is. but most of the remaining of my gear is towards the lighter end. good luck have a great hike!