PDA

View Full Version : 100 in 24

sburnett0429
03-02-2010, 16:17
Hello,
My friend and I are trying to pick a 100 mile section in the southeast (GA,TN,NC) He and another guy are wanting to do a hundred miles in 24 hours. We are trying to find a section that would enough road access so that we can bring them food and anything else they might need.
any suggestions?

Lone Wolf
03-02-2010, 16:23
are they ultra runners?

climber2377
03-02-2010, 16:26
have they done 100 miles in 24 anywhere before? its more like a trail run than a hike. average speed has to be around 5 miles an hr. i m sure he'll need to rest. is he planning this in the snow or is this a plan for warmer weather?

sburnett0429
03-02-2010, 16:34
they are not ultra runners. we are planning for next week. (spring break)
They are well conditioned runners, and experienced hikers. They have considered the size of the goal, and since there would be a support vehicle meeting them every so often, there is some room failure. I am thinking if we met them once every 10 to 20 miles, then if something happened we would be near-by to take care of them.

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2010, 16:47
I say anything north of Devils Fork Gap TN/NC or Hot Springs going into VA. Except for a couple places, there are accessible trailheads about every 10 miles.

John B
03-02-2010, 16:48
Outstanding idea! I wish them the best of luck. Please report back with how things went.

My only suggestion is to get a great set of trail maps and try to find agreed upon road crossings where you can meet them and resupply with food/water.

Check out the blogs and news reports about last week's Black Mountain Marathon and Ultra (western North Carolina). Heavy snows cut the ultra from a planned 40 miles down to 34, but still the times were great. The winning marathoner did it in about three and a quarter hours, which is freaking incredible.

If they can do a hundred in 24, they should check out the Western States 100 for a really good time. You can PM me if you want links to other ultras. Not so many in the south as compared to the west coast, but still...

http://www.wncmagazine.com/feature/outdoors/freezer_burn

http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/

drdewrag
03-02-2010, 16:49
Sounds awfully difficult to me. I wouldn't say impossible, but in the GA/TN/NC section, it may just be. 4+ mph is way up there and that leaves no room for stopping...Good luck. Would love to here how it goes!

The_Saint
03-02-2010, 16:55
Sorry, but I put my money on failure. The trail conditions will be poor and experienced 5 mile runners won't last 5 miles on the trail. The terrain is horrible for running and the steepness of anywhere in that section will make it exceptionally difficult, and dangerous for that matter.

JAK
03-02-2010, 16:59
They shouldn't really need supply if it is for 24 hours, even if it is 100 miles.

The Flatulator
03-02-2010, 17:01
100 in 24 in the South?! They'll be hurting if they finish. I would rather do 100 in the Shenandoahs. Easier terrain with not much elevation change. I did 4 20+ days through there on my '82 hike and I don't remember it being that difficult. On my '77 hike, I did the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" in Maine in 3-1/2 days. My longest day was 38 miles. Now that was a butt-kicker! There is plenty of pain to be had no matter where you hike. Enjoy and hope for a rainy day-cooler hiking and the miles tick by easier.

JAK
03-02-2010, 17:06
Multiple exit points is always a good idea though, especially for something like this.
Best regards. I would make 24 hours the goal, rather than 100 miles.

p.s. Are you are doing the night hike first?

Rockhound
03-02-2010, 17:08
Squeaky hiked the Smokies in 24 hrs. To add 25 miles to that along any section in the south would only be doable by a very select few. Your friends are not experienced ultra runners or trail runners? Muddy slippery conditions. Nope. Your friends wont make it.

Disney
03-02-2010, 17:15
That sounds like a massively difficult accomplishment. I'd really like to know if they succeed. Please report back, before and after pictures would be absolutely awesome. I know I could never do it. I struggle with 20 in 24. Heck, most days, I'm lucky to get 10 in 24.

ARambler
03-02-2010, 17:19
I think 100 in the Shenandoahs would have to include the roller coaster or 3 Ridge/the Priest.

How far is it from Washington Monument, MD to the Washington Monument, DC?
Rambler

max patch
03-02-2010, 17:22
Next week? And in the SE?

I'd ask about the Florida Trail, not the AT.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2010, 17:22
I just love when people post insane ideas like this. They obviously have no clue what the trail is like. It's nothing like running around the track 100 times. Which would be a good way to start to see if you can actually run 100 miles in the first place.

This is not a good idea at all. In any 100 mile streach of the trail right now there will be significant snow and ice and blow downs to try and get past. And if by some miracle all that snow and ice does melt in a week from now, the trail will be knee deep with mud and the streams overflowing.

Waiting until much later in the spring or even next fall would be a really good idea. But even then the chances of doing something like that are slim at best and the risk of life time disability great. Slipping in the mud, tripping on a rock or root then bash you head on the ground or break something is a real risk. The chances of something like that happening get greater as you get tired. And do you really think they can run an obstical course like the AT - half of it at night - and maintain a 5 mph pace - I don't think so.

JAK
03-02-2010, 17:26
I might try something like this if I ever get down to 165 pounds again.

I am curious how much farther I can hike in 24 hours,
at say 165 pounds + 15 pounds gear vs 200 pounds + say 20 pounds gear.

Any ideas?
At 220# total, moderate terrain, maybe 40 miles???
At 180# total, 100 miles ??? I rather doubt it.
It sure would be nice to get down to 165# again to find out.

I should have done this when I was 20. Oh well. At least I'm well rested. lol

jersey joe
03-02-2010, 18:03
100 miles in 24 hours would be tough...I have thought about the whole AT in NJ in 24 hours (72 miles). That is certainly doable.

JAK
03-02-2010, 18:29
Rather unpredictable time of year for something like this. Perhaps not so bad if you have multiple exit points. I would focus on the 24hr thing and be flexible on the 100 mile thing. Set a benchmark, maybe try and beat it every full moon.

JJJ
03-02-2010, 18:30
A hundred in 24 is pretty tough on the AT.
If they don't have experience running on technical trail, now's a good time to get some -as soon as the snow melts.
Maybe a 50 in 12 or something.
It's the climbing and descents and the rocks that get you.

I'd start northbound on the ridge above Erwin,Tn at Indian Grave Gap.
You can keep check on them for the first several miles using Beauty Spot Gap Rd as they are getting gear and such fine tuned.
The overall bias is downhill
The last 30+ miles going into Damascus, Va is pretty tame and they'll be glad of it. I have friends that have done the Smokies in a day, mostly unsupported.

They can do this with some first hand experience under their belt.
They'll be ultra runners when they're finished. ;)

Snowleopard
03-02-2010, 19:22
I think this is a bad idea.

Is there anyplace on the AT that does not have significant snow and ice right now? I don't think so.
As Slo'go-en says, "if by some miracle all that snow and ice does melt in a week from now, the trail will be knee deep with mud and the streams overflowing. "

Hypothermia could be a really serious concern (serious as in death). To avoid this, they need to be reasonably well equipped for cold and weight (more weight). Even if it warms up, there are places where you might be waist deep in wet heavy snow -- they could end up soaked and really cold (hypothermia).

There's 46" of snow on Mt. Leconte which is near (on?) the AT. http://www.lifeonleconte.com/life-on-leconte-blog.html

John B
03-02-2010, 19:24
JAK, they really will need resupply, albeit not in the standard sense. They'll need to ingest GU or a similar product at least every 45 minutes (2 oz packets), they'll probably want to change shoes and socks a couple of times, they'll need to eat several "meals" (typically hot soup, a power bar, etc). They may even want to stop for a very brief rest, which would be even more restful if in a warm car.

I admire their dream and the effort. I wish them the best and hope to hear how things go.

ChinMusic
03-02-2010, 19:31
they are not ultra runners. we are planning for next week. (spring break)
Next week? Forget the AT.

Think Florida Trail.

climber2377
03-02-2010, 19:47
i have a buddy who did the iron man a short while back in lake placid. he did it in 15:53:54 and it was raining. he did it in july 2009, he swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles!! it was on the road, not in the woods and in the snow. i think the task is possible in good weather, but i wouldnt recomend it in the current trail conditions. good luck if you attempt this now.

modiyooch
03-02-2010, 21:24
Hello,
My friend and I are trying to pick a 100 mile section in the southeast (GA,TN,NC) He and another guy are wanting to do a hundred miles in 24 hours. We are trying to find a section that would enough road access so that we can bring them food and anything else they might need.
any suggestions?Wait for another season. It's currently snowing. I think it's difficult to run in the snow with down trees, no less. Florida or SW does sound like a bettter option

Hikerhead
03-02-2010, 22:05
100 in 24 in the South?! They'll be hurting if they finish. I would rather do 100 in the Shenandoahs. Easier terrain with not much elevation change. I did 4 20+ days through there on my '82 hike and I don't remember it being that difficult. On my '77 hike, I did the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" in Maine in 3-1/2 days. My longest day was 38 miles. Now that was a butt-kicker! There is plenty of pain to be had no matter where you hike. Enjoy and hope for a rainy day-cooler hiking and the miles tick by easier.

I'd go for the 100 in SNP. Road crossings every 5 miles or so. It's closed now for snow but may open up in another week I'm guessing, and that's if we don't get any more snow. Just don't break my hero David Horton's record.

ChinMusic
03-02-2010, 22:18
There are plenty of road crossings. Go for it.

Then come back here with a report.............:D;)

jackietreehorn
03-02-2010, 22:29
http://www.pinhoti100.com/

dmax
03-02-2010, 23:52
[QUOTE=JJJ;980296]

I'd start northbound on the ridge above Erwin,Tn at Indian Grave Gap.
You can keep check on them for the first several miles using Beauty Spot Gap Rd as they are getting gear and such fine tuned.
The overall bias is downhill
The last 30+ miles going into Damascus, Va is pretty tame and they'll be glad of it. I have friends that have done the Smokies in a day, mostly unsupported.

The gate is closed for the winter. It is passible by skis though. Except for maybe by Deep Gap. I haven't been there this winter yet, but last year snow drifts were 3 feet high. And we've had alot more snow this year.
I bet Unaka and the Roan look cool. Especially after the snow this morning.

They might need to run in yak tracs..:-?

sburnett0429
03-03-2010, 13:04
I'd go for the 100 in SNP. Road crossings every 5 miles or so. It's closed now for snow but may open up in another week I'm guessing, and that's if we don't get any more snow. Just don't break my hero David Horton's record.

What/ where is SNP

JJJ
03-03-2010, 13:55
They might need to run in yak tracs..:-?

Sorry, I missed the "next week" part of the plan.

I'm not aware of any 100 mile section that wouldn't have deep snow issues not to mention blowdowns that will take a month or so to put in order.

Since this spring break is a wash,
I might suggest they look to enter the Massenutten 100 in May or the Grindstone 100 in October both of which have similar terrain.
I am curious, if they are not already ultra/trail runners, what type and extent of conditioning give them confidence to tackle such a plan?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 13:58
I am curious, if they are not already ultra/trail runners, what type and extent of conditioning give them confidence to tackle such a plan?

youth and ignorance?

max patch
03-03-2010, 14:54
What/ where is SNP

Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Virginia.

You really need to check out the Florida Trail.

John B
03-03-2010, 14:56
youth and ignorance?

HA!

I wish that I was still young and dumb enough to give it a go... well, at least I'm still dumb.

Even if they don't make it, they'll have a helluva good time trying.

Snowleopard
03-03-2010, 15:01
What/ where is SNP

SNP = Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/skyline-drive-in-winter.htm I think skyline drive crosses the AT numerous times in SNP.
Some of the responders didn't notice that you're planning on this in one week (winter).
A better plan would be to do it on a trail where winter is not a factor, or wait until winter is over in the mountains (May??).

the punny guy
03-03-2010, 15:21
Wow, there has been quite a response! So we have been planning on doing this run for quite a while, unfortunately, I haven't been able to plan the amount of snowfall this winter!

Don't worry, though many people have called me crazy, I do have experience in trail running. I have hiked or ran much of the AT, including running/scrambling a 30+ mile day through Mahoosuc Notch- the most difficult section of the trail. I am currently marathon training at a 6:30 min/mi pace on single track trails here on Lookout Mountain. 100 miles in 24 hrs is really not that crazy, from a runner's perspective. It comes out to 14 min miles, which means that you don't even have to "run" if you never stop. Of course, we will stop to change socks and resupply on water/food/goo. We will have a support crew meeting us at regular intervals with supplies and hot drinkd, dry socks, etc. And with the slow sections of trail we will of course have to make up time by running.

Though my eventual goal is to do 100 miles in 24 hrs on the AT, I am not expecting to meet that if we do end up going two weeks from now. Though the forecast says warm weather, it will be muddy, snowy, and full of fallen trees.

Options right now are the Florida trail, maybe going down to the Keys, Or just having fun on the AT and seeing how far we can make it!

Shenendoah might be good, lots of access, lots of open flat trail. It is a good place to try a second attempt when the weather gets better.

jesse
03-03-2010, 15:51
Doable, just not by me.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 16:08
this is silly. no human being alive can hike next week 100 in the south on our trail. 12 hours of night hiking fast? hahahaha. then 12 of day? hahahahha!

ChinMusic
03-03-2010, 16:16
Options right now are the Florida trail, maybe going down to the Keys, Or just having fun on the AT and seeing how far we can make it!
I haven't hiked the FT but I would think 100/24 quite doable for someone like yourself. The AT is just "off limits" to 100/24 right now for anyone, IMO.

Seeing how far you could go would be cool, but know you ain't making 100.

Shenendoah might be good, lots of access, lots of open flat trail. It is a good place to try a second attempt when the weather gets better.

Sweet. Springer to Franklin-ish (Rock Gap?) would be good too and a bit harder than SNP.

Tennessee Viking
03-03-2010, 17:19
Doesn't Lone Wolf hold the Damascus run record?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 17:33

i only did 40 miles in just under 12 hours. with a full pack though

NashvilleBiscuit
03-03-2010, 17:48
Start a little north of watauga lake. Skip the climb up from the dam. Head into Damascus. Thats about 40 miles of pretty easy terrain. I did it in 1 day with a full pack. Once you go through Damascus they can head out on the Creeper trail and then on north into Marion VA. For the south I would say that was the easiest part of the trail. There are also lots of access points through there.

Everybody says its not doable but why not try!

fredmugs
03-03-2010, 17:49
Squeaky hiked the Smokies in 24 hrs. To add 25 miles to that along any section in the south would only be doable by a very select few. Your friends are not experienced ultra runners or trail runners? Muddy slippery conditions. Nope. Your friends wont make it.

I never considered doing the Smokies in one day. That would get me out of the shelters, etc, etc. I did NOC to Fontana Dam in 13 hours and I wasn't try to push it.

ChinMusic
03-03-2010, 19:02
I never considered doing the Smokies in one day. That would get me out of the shelters, etc, etc.
Doing the Smokies in TWO days gets you out of the shelters, if you make a stop in G-burg.

The Solemates
03-03-2010, 19:11

yep - number of runs to dots in one day - and i've heard his record is impossible to beat.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 19:15
yep - number of runs to dots in one day - and i've heard his record is impossible to beat.

i've never run to dot's and only walked there a few times. mostly ride my bike

fredmugs
03-04-2010, 13:10
Doing the Smokies in TWO days gets you out of the shelters, if you make a stop in G-burg.

I'm not sure if staying in Gatlinberg is a better alternative than an overcrowded shelter.

The_Saint
03-04-2010, 14:37

I know two guys that did it full gear this summer in 14 hours, but they weren't trying to "break any records" either.

ChinMusic
03-04-2010, 15:47
I'm not sure if staying in Gatlinberg is a better alternative than an overcrowded shelter.
I liked my stay at The Grand Prix in G-burg. Never saw miniature golf once.......:D

bfitz
03-04-2010, 16:10
It's okay to try even in the face of extreme improbability. Otherwise I'd never have gotten a date in high school.

JJJ
03-04-2010, 16:45
Don't worry, though many people have called me crazy, I do have experience in trail running. I have hiked or ran much of the AT, including running/scrambling a 30+ mile day through Mahoosuc Notch- the most difficult section of the trail. I am currently marathon training at a 6:30 min/mi pace on single track trails here on Lookout Mountain. 100 miles in 24 hrs is really not that crazy, from a runner's perspective.......

You're in the ballpark of proper conditioning to do this.
Walking strength and ability to digest calories on the run has to be factored in.
I'd start at midnight so you can get the wee hours of morning over with while you're fresh.
It'll be awhile until the trail in a good enough mood to cooperate.
Good Luck

tuswm
03-11-2010, 02:34
Other then snow on the trail SNP would be a great place because of how often the road crosses the trail. I think its an average of like every 3 miles.

what about the C&O canal? its flat well maintained and had lots of points for support.

fiddlehead
03-11-2010, 03:43
My guess is they'd have to do try for Shenendoah NP being the middle.
Maybe start at the top of the Priest and head NOBO.
But there's probably too much snow right now?

It can be done. (with training and experience) IMO.

hustler
03-11-2010, 11:39
Doing 100 miles in one day on the AT would be very difficult, and would need a ton of training. I did the Leadville 100 running race last summer, and needed pacers and support and only made it 97 miles in 24 hours. I had hiked some of the AT last spring, and trained the whole summer. I would say go for it, but have the option to bail. It might be possible, but your going to need some luck, and will need to push harder than you know. Don't underestimate it.

John B
03-11-2010, 13:14
... I did the Leadville 100 running race last summer, and needed pacers and support and only made it 97 miles in 24 hours. ...

So what happened? Did you finish the 100? Get the silver buckle? Have you done other ultras?

One big difference that I see would be the elevation. If I'm not mistaken, the low altitude on the Leadville is about 9,000 and the high at about 13,000. I'd think that flatlanders from the east coast would have trouble with that.

Disney
03-25-2010, 16:29
So did they do it? Did it work? I want stories and pictures. Or at least a one sentence conclusion.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2010, 17:37
No doubt they went to Daytona and got drunk instead.

East Coast Alex
03-25-2010, 20:06
Just out of curiosity, but other than the pretty obvious fact that the guys who wanted to do this were not ultra runners, which makes it not all that difficult to guess the possible outcome of such a little endeavor.... but what would make that kind of 100 mile in under 24 hour time difficult on the AT, as opposed to many of the ultra races out west where aside from doing it at high altitude, many of the ultras involve 18 - 25,000 feet of elevation gain, and fairly technical trails (at least as far as rocks, not so much roots), and yet the top guys can still come in under 17 hours.

Is the AT heavily tree root filled, such that it would inhibit trail running even moreso than the rock field technical terrain one finds out west?

Hikingsasquatch
03-25-2010, 22:30
I'd say your best bet is Beagle Gap, mile 99.5 in Shenandoah National Park to US 522 near Front Royal: 101.6 miles.
South of Virginia, better make sure you've got batteries in your emergency beacon.

jhensley
03-29-2010, 10:38
I'd be impressed if they did 75 in 24, if these guys aren't running marathons this is going to be superiorly difficult.

the punny guy
04-03-2010, 17:09
(or didn't do...)

Well, after listening to some of your advice, and checking trail conditions, we decided to postpone until better weather. We thought about doing the Florida trail instead, but running that long through unchanging and uninspiring grassland didn't sound too exciting. We did take some friends on a day hike from Woody Gap to Walasi-yi. The trail there was perfect, and we had a relaxed time. It did hail and thunderstorm, which would have been miserable if we were going for distance with wet feet! Anyway, we will be sure to let you all know when we make our attempt! I'm thinking Shenandoah, but we shall see...

And those who doubt, it will happen. It is definitely possible, and if I don't do all 100 miles in the first try, I will train more, and try again. I've got my whole life ahead of me to do it, and I will do what it takes to make it happen!

jhensley
04-11-2010, 06:39
(or didn't do...)

Well, after listening to some of your advice, and checking trail conditions, we decided to postpone until better weather. We thought about doing the Florida trail instead, but running that long through unchanging and uninspiring grassland didn't sound too exciting. We did take some friends on a day hike from Woody Gap to Walasi-yi. The trail there was perfect, and we had a relaxed time. It did hail and thunderstorm, which would have been miserable if we were going for distance with wet feet! Anyway, we will be sure to let you all know when we make our attempt! I'm thinking Shenandoah, but we shall see...

And those who doubt, it will happen. It is definitely possible, and if I don't do all 100 miles in the first try, I will train more, and try again. I've got my whole life ahead of me to do it, and I will do what it takes to make it happen!

I like the ambition, if you maintain that attitude 100 in 24 should be an attainable goal.

JJJ
04-11-2010, 07:15
Punny, In your neighborhood, you've got a community of runners doing these tune-up races Strolling Jim 40 (http://www.tynesweb.com/sj40/), Stump Jump 50K (http://www.rockcreek.com/stumpjump/), and the Upchuck 50K (http://www.rockcreek.com/upchuck/)
who can give you invaluable training tips, advice and assistance in reaching your goal.