PDA

View Full Version : the doyle hotels secret

mweinstone
03-02-2010, 17:29
we have a huge secret we cannot tell about the hotel doyles future concerning everyone in duncanon and most hikers . i can say its good. heres whats required to allow the secret out,...

write a letter to the doyle telling of your thaughts exsperiences and storys of the doyle. it has been asked of us to write these letters as groups rather than individuals. a groupe can be as small as a couple or as large as billville and alda and atc and amc and others. we need letters from sorentos pizza in duncanon and from the small groups like philly hikers and just plaine old groups of friends who hiked such as the oh eighters and the maine train. these letters are a part of a plan that we think you will enjoy. i relize that you not knowing to what end the letters are to be used is disconcerting. therefor. only diehard lovers of the doyle need write.

send corrospondence to:the doyle hotel 7 north market street duncannon pa 17020.

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 18:06
Why is it still a secret?

Panzer

mweinstone
03-02-2010, 18:20
elaborate tom

Worldwide
03-02-2010, 21:04
That place is nastier than an overflowing privy. I hope someday a health inspector that isn't on the take shuts that place down. Trail Angel Mary's couch is the only place to stay in Duncannon.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2010, 21:24
Why is it still a secret?

Panzer

what? they're gonna tear that rat trap down? cool. the place smells

ki0eh
03-02-2010, 22:22
Sure smells a lot less without smoking. (At least downstairs - no need for me to go up. :) )

10-K
03-02-2010, 22:23
Good hamburgers....

bfitz
03-02-2010, 22:29
Best place on the trail, IMO, and my favorite bar on the trail as well. I wish it could always be just as it is. Well, maybe with a few minor structural improvements....

Tinker
03-02-2010, 23:23
Matty spelled "disconcerting" correctly! :)

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 09:24
is a space a place or a place a space. thats the question. if room 23 was all fixed up would it be rm 23? or would it be? most folks like, over the edges' example,.
a ship leaves port on a 3 year mission. in that time the ships carpenter replaces every board. is it the same ship that returns to port?
but were here to discuss writing positive letters telling our storys of the doyle because we have been asked to. by me.

did any of you ever google "room 23"? its a bit scary.for those of us associated with the portal. thats the time portal in room 23 or "tipi23" as the government hippy study folks spying from the satilite positioned solely for the pourpose of the study of rm 23 call it. gabish?

honestly, i belive i could out the secret without huirting anyone . but its not my risk to take. ill call and ask today if we may speak the two words that will exsplaine all.
in other news, im being discovered as the next grand master of art. again. so ill own most of the northern hemisphere soon and we'll have to have a getogether. i was thinking of makeing florida an island by cutting most of it away and sinking it leaveing just the keys. we'll party there.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 09:28
ill call and ask today if we may speak the two words that will exsplaine all.

CLOSED forever?

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 09:33
wolf, in your hiking heart of hearts, you love everyone and hold no hatered for inatimate buildings and other things. you are as light as lightbeams and you are lwolf our beloved. so shut up.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 09:36
wrecking ball?

Treefingers
03-03-2010, 09:43
eff everyone who doesnt love this fine establishment

wolf, in your hiking heart of hearts, you love everyone and hold no hatered for inatimate buildings and other things. you are as light as lightbeams and you are lwolf our beloved. so shut up.

Lugnut
03-03-2010, 09:43
HUD apartments?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 09:50
eff everyone who doesnt love this fine establishment

awesome. with an E

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 09:53
whilst lwolf baddabooms himself to death over there, we will continue being civil. first id like to point out that good fourtune is something we all wish for our brothers and sisters. no one is exsempt from receiveing a dream come tru. and its impossible to hate someone for it.

Hoop Time
03-03-2010, 10:03
If it is such a secret, why did Pat and Vicky tell me, knowing I am a newspaper reporter? They never mentioned it being a secret, but I won't spill until Matty says it is cool, just in case. But I will say, should it work out, it would be pretty cool. And No, it does not involved closed, wrecking balls or HUD apartments.

wrongway_08
03-03-2010, 10:09
That place was great! One of the best spots on the trail. We had a blast there, the food is great - breaded mushrooms .... still have not found any better.

As for the simple warning of "watch out when the shower gurgles ...." That is an understatment! Man hot water one second and then BAM frozen water the next ... :) !

As far as being run down, yea, the electric tape wrapped around the light wires was a bit disconcerning but what a cool spot. The pool table and good food made it a must do for Thru- hikers. At the very least you should have stopped by and hung out for a while.

Only a non-hiker (Thru or otherwise) could not appreciate this place.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 10:11
im dieing to say the words. someone advise me. its tru we werent told not to post it. in fact pat told me it would be all over the hiking comunity soon enough as if he had no control over who blabs first. but hoopy dont you belive its propriatory info and could mess everything up? or not?i dare you to dare me to sing.

ARambler
03-03-2010, 10:12
Historical Place?
Matty's roomate

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 10:17
funeral home

mtnkngxt
03-03-2010, 10:19
I take offense to the funeral home comment, our facilities are much cleaner and our wiring up to code:D

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 10:27
I take offense to the funeral home comment, our facilities are much cleaner and our wiring up to code:D
Also most of the customers at the Doyle are just brain dead, not actually dead.

mtnkngxt
03-03-2010, 10:37
lol :p:D It is one of those hiker destinations.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 13:35
state reps, mayors, judges and others have allready givin letters of support to an effort underway by abc tv to showcase our beloved landmark on the hit show exstreem makeover. vicky and pat were up for many hours beyond the winter warmer filling out a 24 page application and then an 18 page document on the structure. they are wiped out from the excitment of this witch was only learned of friday morning. yesterday the papers were de,
livered to hillywood and vicky has benn in contact even since then with network producers. jester baltimore jack tarlin and panzer and myself were filmed and interveiwed at the warmer by the scouts responsible for all this.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 13:37
now you all know. write your letters! pour your hearts out. tell why the revitilization of the towns jewel is important to yo. and tell of the people and the family we share. this is big.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 13:39
there goes any charm it had. prices will soar if it happens

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 13:44
when they leave you with upgraded electrics and green systems requireing upkeep, they leave you with moneys knowing you were poor at the start and the finnish. and a common bunkroom or coed dorm or male female bunk rooms will certinly be concidered. and vicky and pat are the kind who will charge hikers as little as they can anyway. and if they have non hiker rooms makeing biger money then it may afford the price saveings to hikers. and hikers will have a choice and all in all it will be good. they allways do a comunity project and that can help alot of folks. this is a thing pat and vicky need and deservr and i for one support it.

Lugnut
03-03-2010, 13:46
They should makeover a disabled vets home, not a private business. Just my opinion and you know what they say about those. :(

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 13:49
mankind has made the whole world and remade it several times. yes vets come first. duh. but we can go out of order once in a while and do random acts of kindness cant we? this is a gifthorse that will secure the hotels future as a historic budwiser mansion. hello?mr ed called. he said. why you look me in mouth?

Lyle
03-03-2010, 13:50
Good for Vicky and Pat. This is a business venture for them, and I wish them well.

The character and essence of the place will definitely be forever changed, and hikers will more than likely take a back seat.

Best wishes.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 13:53
back seats are bigger and better and you can fool around.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 13:55
They should makeover a disabled vets home, not a private business. Just my opinion and you know what they say about those. :(

agree. hikers aren't in need. i'm bettin' the hollywood folks are gonna choose a more needy cause

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 14:02
asume the doyal is made over. the national attention causes vicky and pat to become fully solvent and even profitable. now assume vicky loweres the cost to hikers based on her generosity and ability. assume further that perspective hiking familys visit the now respectable doyal for the chance to meet hikers. now imagine a graded trail somewhere near where all can acces our trail at duncannon. further imagine new streetposts with banners anouncing events and an artists community springing up with cafes and nightlife. now picture duncannon as an ashville of the north. i see it all.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 14:05
asume the doyal is made over. the national attention causes vicky and pat to become fully solvent and even profitable. now assume vicky loweres the cost to hikers based on her generosity and ability. assume further that perspective hiking familys visit the now respectable doyal for the chance to meet hikers. now imagine a graded trail somewhere near where all can acces our trail at duncannon. further imagine new streetposts with banners anouncing events and an artists community springing up with cafes and nightlife. now picture duncannon as an ashville of the north. i see it all.

hahaha. :D dude you're pipe dreaming. hiking "season" is extremely short. duncannon has no other draw

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 14:05
I can just see it now. "and this will be your room Matty" as Mathewski is filmed walking wide eyed into the newly renovated room 23, complete with bacon murals done completely in crayon and Pom bottles turned into lighting fixtures."When we first heard of little Matty's story we knew we had to do something. It seems that whenever he goes out in public he attracts stares and ridicule. The Doyle was one of the last remaining establishments that actually welcomes, rather than fears his patronage. We had to do something to save such an important, historic landmark. It makes my heart warm knowing Matty and his ilk will now always have a place to gather away from the prying eyes of an ununderstanding public."

the goat
03-03-2010, 14:21

hahaha. :D dude you're pipe dreaming. hiking "season" is extremely short. duncannon has no other draw

how will prices soar if duncannon has no other draw?

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 14:22
i see it too. "when we first heard of matthewski and room 23 we knew we had a problem" "with all the renovations would we be able to save the most historic aspects of this room?" "so we came up with this,.."
blindfolded matthewski is led to the now fully restored door of room 23. removing his blindfold he despairs, the sign on the door reads"broom closet." matthewski lowers his head. turning to desend the now wonderfull grand winding staircase and make a quiet exit, and thinking his friends mean for such a prank,...a single tear falls from his eye.thaughts of rm 23 flash before him. no more will he sleep on the floor under the window listening to jack snor while doves cry....
as he turns the stairs and looks back one final time at the room he loved, the door has been opened and a bright light as if from skylights spills from the room. running back he pushes the door open and to his amazement...

David@whiteblaze
03-03-2010, 14:26
agree. hikers aren't in need. i'm bettin' the hollywood folks are gonna choose a more needy cause
Correct, by all reports, Hikers are in desperate want. Now, I would write if I had ever heard of the place, but I will definetly want to see it on TV one sunday night... can somebody explain the whole room 23 thing? :dance

flemdawg1
03-03-2010, 14:35
I really hope this happens for Pat and Vicky. The grand ole Doyle deserves a renovation, its got much more charm per sq foot than any Marriot or Hilton I've ever stayed in. And several times during my too short stay there last summer I wondered what a million dollars in renovations would do. Hopefully we can find out.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 14:54
my name is matthew claude weinstone. i stole 400 bucks from my moms bank card and rand away to the appalachian trail at port clinton at the age of 14 or 15. i walked with thru hikers(hawk and some other dude i forgett) to duncannon and rented a room in the doyle. it was 7.50 a night or 15 for the week (mon to fri) so i rented it for the week. i took a bath in the little bathroom witch had a much larger tub. i ate in the bar. i bought candy and the book fools die by mario puzzo, who wrote the godfather, at millers drug store and holed up in the honneymoon sweet for a week makeing myself sick with peanut m&m's and guilt over steeling moms cash. mr millers still there. then on friday i called mom and asked her to send western union moneys to buy a ticket to come home. she didnt know i was gone. and forgave me instantly. over the years i returned many times. allways in the spirit of my mom i stayed in the smallest room at the top of the stairs with no heat. (like mom did in her million dollar house at 3 or 4 hundred pounds she was big, but would squeeze herself into small cars and live cheap and give all her money and love freely)room 23 is like moms room to me. i miss her much.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 15:01

There are plans to keep prices down for hikers by having some kind of bunk room for hikers. Maybe 2 bunk rooms, one for men and one for women.

Otherwise, yes the prices may go up some for the non-hiking public, depending on how much renovations are performed.

Panzer

max patch
03-03-2010, 15:17
Why would prices rise? I've never watched the show, but arn't things of this nature paid for by the show?

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 15:28
my plan includes a bazillion really nice cots, the kind with padding, in the room we use for our events on the second floor . along with a long pullman kitchen along the stage wall. and a divider curtian just 10 feet out from the stage wall that can hide the kitchen and cots stored , and the room can be a function room still. and a second divider down the middle of the room if boys and girls want to sleep apart. also, this room and a private entrance to the bar would be highly sound proofed from guests of the non hiker genra.my plan includes a drying room and impact resistant wall and floor coverings so hikers can be hikers. my plan includes the joining of the basement to the first floor by removeing the floor and exsposing a large two story deep sunken stone walled baroom and billards room. with skylighing from the stairwell being brought to this area by the elimination of that part of the bar and kitchen ceilings witch presently block the sun. and the removal of the roof over the stairwell to be replaced with auto opening skylight pannels. i propose the kitchen be left where it is but put on a loft structure , bathed in sunlight and standing above the sunken baroom.
with a pull dumb waiter to lower food. i propose the guest rooms be done in exsquisit historoc perfection to create only a few, very large suites of luxury for the rich only. then it would be a meeting place and a bridge betwixt them and us.

bfitz
03-03-2010, 15:35
there goes any charm it had. prices will soar if it happensKind of have to agree with you on this one. The commuity as a whole needs a makeover perhaps, but the charm of the doyle is in its old style architecture and like it or not, it's shabbiness. It just wont be the doyle if its shiny and new. I'd love to see someone donate money to pat and vicki, but Id hate to see the effect of a tv show reality camera (Have you ever watched the show? Its really bad reality tv at its worst...) exploiting our friends emotions for a tv moment and then disappearig leaving the doyle something it was never meant to be and ruining the atmosphere and the accessibility for hikers (lets face it, a bunk room for 25 bucks sucks compared to a private room for 25 bucks..many may pass it by) and possibly it's relationship to the rest of the town. Fixing the place up a bit would be fantastic, tearing it down and rebuilding a whole new shiny thing (which is what they do) would be sad IMO. It's well known fact that charity can have a detrimental effect especially if it is not equally spread throughout a community. Rebuild the school or church or firehouse, not the doyle.

bfitz
03-03-2010, 15:36
Pat and Vicki forgive me, you know I love you and the Doyle...just saying.

bfitz
03-03-2010, 15:42
On the other hand, I suppose it is a bit selfish of me to think that way....I'm not the one who has to fix every damn leaky hole or fixture or floorboard....

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 15:48
the dude has voiced an opinion. matthewski has seen the future. on the nite of the show, they save a minute to interveiw the dude afterwords. after words that hes eaten.

mtnkngxt
03-03-2010, 16:47
It would be nice if they could get some help doing some repairs. But Extreme Makeover will only hurt its draw to the hiking community. That show stuffs as much expensive crap into their projects as possible. Who is going to let smelly dirty hikers sit on expensive furniture and track dirt and debris on nice floors and carpet?

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 17:06
Kind of have to agree with you on this one. The commuity as a whole needs a makeover perhaps, but the charm of the doyle is in its old style architecture and like it or not, it's shabbiness. It just wont be the doyle if its shiny and new. I'd love to see someone donate money to pat and vicki, but Id hate to see the effect of a tv show reality camera (Have you ever watched the show? Its really bad reality tv at its worst...) exploiting our friends emotions for a tv moment and then disappearig leaving the doyle something it was never meant to be and ruining the atmosphere and the accessibility for hikers (lets face it, a bunk room for 25 bucks sucks compared to a private room for 25 bucks..many may pass it by) and possibly it's relationship to the rest of the town. Fixing the place up a bit would be fantastic, tearing it down and rebuilding a whole new shiny thing (which is what they do) would be sad IMO. It's well known fact that charity can have a detrimental effect especially if it is not equally spread throughout a community. Rebuild the school or church or firehouse, not the doyle.
They do not tear down every structure and with the history of the Doyle I'm sure they would go the restoration route. As far as the Doyle not being worthy and those that say the money time and effort would be better spent a school or firehouse or church or VA hospital, yes, there will always be people in need and some more deserving of others but the logic here is saying if you are not going to help the blind homeless 1 legged orphan Christian Veterans, then there is no sense in helping anyone. To this I say helping someone, anyone, is better than helping no one and sitting around bad mouthing those that do. Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up. Some peoples cups are 1/2 empty. Some peoples cups are 1/2 full. I say order a round at the Doyle and fill everyone's glass to the brim so theyzle stop bitchin'

max patch
03-03-2010, 17:24
The show did a makeover on a families home south of Atlanta. Great house, the show paid off the mortgage. Everybody happy. Year or so late family took out loans against the property - around 600K IIRC - and defaulted. Bank owns it now.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 17:28
Who is going to let smelly dirty hikers sit on expensive furniture and track dirt and debris on nice floors and carpet?

The "smelly dirty hikers" are just going to have to learn to wash, that's all there is to that.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 17:29
Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up.

business. plain and simple. a totalally remodeled structure with new rooms, air conditioning, showers, etc. with fetch higher prices. hikers ain't the doyle's bread and butter. just a small market

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 17:32
The show did a makeover on a families home south of Atlanta. Great house, the show paid off the mortgage. Everybody happy. Year or so late family took out loans against the property - around 600K IIRC - and defaulted. Bank owns it now.
Yep and there is a guy who won over 80 million in the lottery that is now broke and in jail. Your point?

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 17:36
business. plain and simple. a totalally remodeled structure with new rooms, air conditioning, showers, etc. with fetch higher prices. hikers ain't the doyle's bread and butter. just a small market
hahaha. :D dude you're pipe dreaming. hiking "season" is extremely short. duncannon has no other draw. Your 2 statements here seem to contradict one another LW. Care to clarify?

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 18:12

A lot will depend on the extent of the renovations. My guess is that it will only be a superficial renovation. No new showers, no air conditioning, no new rooms.

Maybe new electrical wiring - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new plumbing - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new windows - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new paint job - which can't charge more for
Maybe new floor - which can't charge for
Maybe new lighting - which cannot charge more for

ect, ect

Panzer

DrRichardCranium
03-03-2010, 18:29
The "smelly dirty hikers" are just going to have to learn to wash, that's all there is to that.

Panzer

The hikers will be put on a conveyor belt through a sort of carwash & forcibly washed with foaming brushes & sprayed with hoses then blown dry.

Then they'll hang one of those little pine tree air fresheners on your ear & let you inside.

One of many improvements.

Lyle
03-03-2010, 18:37
A lot will depend on the extent of the renovations. My guess is that it will only be a superficial renovation. No new showers, no air conditioning, no new rooms.

Maybe new electrical wiring - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new plumbing - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new windows - which cannot charge more for
Maybe new paint job - which can't charge more for
Maybe new floor - which can't charge for
Maybe new lighting - which cannot charge more for

ect, ect

Panzer

Have you ever seen the show? They don't do remodels that don't completely change the structure. As other's have said, normally it's a bullldozer for the initial phase.

This will NOT be anything close to the same Doyle.

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 18:51
Have you ever seen the show? They don't do remodels that don't completely change the structure. As other's have said, normally it's a bullldozer for the initial phase.

I have seen the show and while most of the time phase 1 is a bulldozer, occasionally they will do a remodel or restoration and save an existing structure. This is what I feel they would do with the Doyle considering it's historical significance in the community. I think they would save quite a bit of it. With that said, I agree that ,when they are done, it will be nothing close to the same Doyle either. (That's a good thing)

TheTank
03-03-2010, 19:00
I talked to Pat and Vickey about this over the weekend at the Winter Warmer. They said one of the first questions ABC asked was can we tear it down and just completely rebuild, and they said no, absolutely not. So that is not a concern. I am sure that ABC will want to do a complete remodel, and not care that it looks anything similar to how it does now. Their interests are in making a good TV show, which means making a luxury hotel out of an old rundown building. So no, they will not tear it down, but neither will they preserve it exactly how it is.

As for out pricing hikers, Vickey made it very clear that hikers were her number one concern, and that the decisions she makes with the Doyle are all for the hikers. While things may drastically change she will not agree to any plan which makes the Doyle inaccessible to hikers either financially or otherwise. As was pointed out this may mean that they get multiple private rooms at a higher price and then a bunk room for hikers, but there will always be something for hikers, at least as long as Vickey is in charge.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 19:07

They bulldoze down small residential homes. This is not a residential home.
Were talking apples and oranges here.
There's no comparison to a small residential home and a 4 story hotel.

Also Vicki said when they asked her if it would be Ok to bulldoze, she said "no".

Panzer

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 19:42
So where are Pat and Vicki going on there 1 week vacation and do they have to take Matty with them?

David@whiteblaze
03-03-2010, 19:46
A ship leaves port on a 3 year mission. in that time the ships carpenter replaces every board. is it the same ship that returns to port?

I was thinking of makeing florida an island by cutting most of it away and sinking it leaveing just the keys. we'll party there.
Ok, that's exactly my question... what's the difference if they redo all of the walls and structure as to just plain demo? also, as a side note, I don't believe my computer functions well under water.

David@whiteblaze
03-03-2010, 19:51
I don't know if anyone did this, but if you look at the hotel with street view on google earth/maps you can see a hiker going in the front door. Totally off-topic, but sorta leaves a lasting impression on a guy.

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 19:52
Let's get right to the crux of the matter. How is all this hullabaloo going to effect their beer prices?

Lyle
03-03-2010, 20:12
They bulldoze down small residential homes. This is not a residential home.
Were talking apples and oranges here.
There's no comparison to a small residential home and a 4 story hotel.

Also Vicki said when they asked her if it would be Ok to bulldoze, she said "no".

Panzer

Fine, they won't bulldoze it. But have you seen how they do "renovations" to get past new construction codes? They may leave part of one wall up so that they can call it renovation not new construction.

I understand that that is not something Vicki wants, so it probably won't be destroyed. But the name of the show should clue you in that they wouldn't come in intending to rewire and re-plumb the place and maybe add a coat of paint and some new floor covering. The show is called EXTREME Makeover. That's what they do. Wouldn't be worth their time or live up to the expectations of the show if it wasn't radically different when they were finished.

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 20:24
Fine, they won't bulldoze it. But have you seen how they do "renovations" to get past new construction codes? They may leave part of one wall up so that they can call it renovation not new construction.

I understand that that is not something Vicki wants, so it probably won't be destroyed. But the name of the show should clue you in that they wouldn't come in intending to rewire and re-plumb the place and maybe add a coat of paint and some new floor covering. The show is called EXTREME Makeover. That's what they do.
And the Doyle just happens to be in need of an extreme makeover. Seems like a good fit to me. Not exactly sure what your grudge is with the show. They take families that are having financial or other hardships with properties in dire need of being repaired or rebuilt and do just that, often paying off the mortgage, giving away a new vehicle and a great vacation in the process. OK maybe your right. Those Extreme Home Makeover people should be stopped! How dare they try to help people!

Johnny Thunder
03-03-2010, 21:08
Told you, matty...told you.

chief
03-03-2010, 21:26
And the Doyle just happens to be in need of an extreme makeover. Seems like a good fit to me. Not exactly sure what your grudge is with the show. They take families that are having financial or other hardships with properties in dire need of being repaired or rebuilt and do just that, often paying off the mortgage, giving away a new vehicle and a great vacation in the process. OK maybe your right. Those Extreme Home Makeover people should be stopped! How dare they try to help people!
Yeah, with so many families with hardships these days, I'm sure Extreme Home Makeover sponsors are just dying to fund the makeover of a "for profit" business. Would be a funny charity slant, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 21:46
Yeah, with so many families with hardships these days, I'm sure Extreme Home Makeover sponsors are just dying to fund the makeover of a "for profit" business. Would be a funny charity slant, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.
They would not be renovating a McDonalds. They would be remodeling/restoring a building that, although privately owned, has historical significance and sentimental value for hundreds of hikers and happens to be in desperate need of repair. Probably much more than Pat or Vicki would be able to do or pay to have done. Without the show stepping in I suspect the Doyles days would be numbered. To jump all over the show if they choose to fix up the Doyle 1 week instead of just building housing for blind, one-legged, homless, Christian veterans every week, week in and week out, seems very cynical.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 21:50
allow me gents,..mamm.
i have restored and cared for these buildings in historic philadelphia since a young age with my own contractors lic on file with the city of philadelphia
the hill phisick house ,home of the father of american surgery
the philadelphia atheneum, the nations oldest repository for periodicals.
the samuel powel house , home of mayors of philadelhhia.
glen ford mansion, guest house to many presidents.
stenton museum, home of john stenton, william penns builder.

and many many many more historicaly important structures. i make alot of money and im at the top of my profession. i work with dozens of contractors at once and allways , under my gc. so......

here is how a pro looks at the situation. the brick and stone are the only things that stay. all mouldings may or may not be saved but the cornice stays and all else goes. floors...gone...walls....gone.

and the rebuild is pimped out but the exterior , other than landscapeing , is identical. and by the way. not any codes in duncannon. its a free for all. a dream job with lots of profit. so when a guy who has plopped down on three beds washington slept on and eaten from jeffersons cereal bowl when no one was there , trust me. i know how this will go down. theirs no building more suited to the show in this part of right here.and the perticulars of this job leave tons of splurdge money for them to pay the vick , ...bet?

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 21:50
I guess it takes someone who does nothing good for anyone but themselves to look at somebody doing something good for others and criticize them for it.

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 21:54
oh and by the way, abc is exspanding the shoiw and this is their first attempt at a buissness. they belive the small buisness man is worthy of the shows efforts. so it wont be a week in mexico. more like a month in fiji. and all your other worries should fade at the reopening party . and if they dont, and you still worry, come to cot 23 in the bunk room and well hang out and sneak a whisky.

ed bell
03-03-2010, 23:16

Yep and there is a guy who won over 80 million in the lottery that is now broke and in jail. Your point?

Probably the same as your example, not that it has anything to do with the owners of the Doyle.

Tinker
03-03-2010, 23:24
Ok, that's exactly my question... what's the difference if they redo all of the walls and structure as to just plain demo? also, as a side note, I don't believe my computer functions well under water.

Redoing the interior will release all that pent up asbestos.:eek:
Don't worry, though. It can only add to the atmosphere :D.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2010, 00:26

Pesimist....

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2010, 00:27
Take loooooooooots of before & after photos!

Panzer1
03-04-2010, 00:35
Redoing the interior will release all that pent up asbestos.:eek:

From what I've been told there is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-04-2010, 00:40
and all your other worries should fade at the reopening party . and if they dont, and you still worry, come to cot 23 in the bunk room and well hang out and sneak a whisky.

They should leave your room 23 untouched, that has to be part of the contract.

Panzer

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 02:29
what were realy talking about is fear of change. embrace change. dont strangle it.

Scooby99
03-04-2010, 07:05
Does anyone besides hikers stay at the doyle? When I was there in '99 and paid the crackhead my 10 dollars for a key to the padlock on the door, it didnt seem like anyone in their right mind, and with a car would stay there. Maybe things have changed, but I find it intertesting/ironic that the hikers that seem to be keeping the place in business and are now being recruited to write letters to win the "campaign" are now being herded into single sex bunkrooms. All for the greater good/owners pocketbook I guess.

StarLyte
03-04-2010, 07:37
my name is matthew claude weinstone. i stole 400 bucks from my moms bank card and rand away to the appalachian trail at port clinton at the age of 14 or 15. i walked with thru hikers(hawk and some other dude i forgett).........

Rebel !!! (as with most hikers)

I didn't steal any money but I did run away to the A.T. when I was a youngin.

StarLyte
03-04-2010, 07:43
I say you guys need to stop being so damn judgmental and be happy for Pat and Vicki....they work their butts off just to please us. The least we could do is write a letter.....and I already have.

Give the Doyle our support !

I think it's one of the most exciting things happening on the A.T. besides Baltimore Jack getting a new Bryson T-shirt (thanks Jack) and the Appalachian Trail Museum opening in June !!!!

So get off your azzes and write the letter. In groups. Individuals. Just write it ! If you need help, throw me an email: [email protected]

I hope this happens folks. Duncannon, the Doyle, and the community needs for it to happen.

Love to all !

:sun

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 08:28
I guess it takes someone who does nothing good for anyone but themselves to look at somebody doing something good for others and criticize them for it.
Just felt this post needed to be repeated.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 09:09

Just felt this post needed to be repeated.

so you think ABC is doing something good for a business out of the goodness of their heart and anybody who criticizes it does nothing good for anyone ever?

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 09:21
I mentioned nothing of ABCs motivations. As for the critics I hear things like they try to get around building codes. No, they go out of their way to comply with building codes. If you do not agree with the codes fight to have them changed. One family borrowed against their new home, defaulted and are now bankrupt and the bank took the house. Was ABC supposed to supply a CPA as well as a new home, pay off the mortgage and give them a new car and vacation? There are more deserving people than Pat and Vicki. So? Does this mean if you can't find the 1 most deserving person on the planet you should help nobody because someone out there happens to be more deserving (in your opinion)? Seriously all these arguments against this are flimsy, petty and not thought out. I would be interested in what charity work or random acts of kindness the critics here have performed over the past year or so. Please do share.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 09:27
I would be interested in what charity work or random acts of kindness the critics here have performed over the past year or so. Please do share.
hahahaha. i've done more for others in the past week by accident than you've done on purpose in a year. :D and what does an opinion on and old building lead you to believe folks don't do any good? :-?

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 09:46
hahahaha. i've done more for others in the past week by accident than you've done on purpose in a year. :D and what does an opinion on and old building lead you to believe folks don't do any good? :-?
Not that it matters, but over the past year I have given more of my possessions to Goodwill than I currently own and each week we give a mountain of food from here on the farm to the local food bank. As far as everyone griping about the show and who they choose to help, I still see no logic in any of the criticism I've seen here.

Lyle
03-04-2010, 09:53
I just put him on "ignore" Lone Wolf. I've had this kind challange me before with similar statements. When I responded via PM with a listing of what I had "contributed", they put their tail between their legs and made excuses. Not worth responding to.

Scooby99
03-04-2010, 09:54
Can someone, Pebble, or mwienstone, just tell me if anyone besides hikers currently stay at the Doyle?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 09:56
I just put him on "ignore" Lone Wolf. I've had this kind challange me before with similar statements. When I responded via PM with a listing of what I had "contributed", they put their tail between their legs and made excuses. Not worth responding to.

yeah i hear ya. typical troll is all.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 10:01
As LW said hikers are the only draw for Duncannon. Of course he also said hikers would be priced out of staying at the Doyle if the show happens. Again not sure if I understand the logic. If hikers are your only customers, and all improvements to the property cost you nothing it would seem a little silly to price out your only clientel.

chomp
03-04-2010, 10:06
Same old negative crap spewed by the same old negative people. Nothing new to see here.

Considering that before Pat and Vicki, the Doyle changed hands 5 times in 5 years, and considering that they have put as much as they can afford into the place, and considering this place is their only source of income, they are certainly deserving of a makeover.

And there is no "campaign" from Pat and Vicki, but rather from those that known them and would like to see something great happen for them. FYI Scooby, things have changed a lot since 99.

chomp
03-04-2010, 10:07
As LW said hikers are the only draw for Duncannon. Of course he also said hikers would be priced out of staying at the Doyle if the show happens. Again not sure if I understand the logic. If hikers are your only customers, and all improvements to the property cost you nothing it would seem a little silly to price out your only clientel.

Agreed - I doubt that prices would go up that much. I do however bet that there would be more rules, which I don't think is a bad idea either.

chomp
03-04-2010, 10:09
yeah i hear ya. typical troll is all.

Says the guy with 23,000 posts of which approximately 20,000 have been of the negative trolling variety.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 10:09
I think it'll be great if the show happens. Yes it will be great for Pat and Vicki, just as it is great for the families who the show helps week in and week out, but by renovating the Doyle they are providing something positive for hundreds of hikers past, present and future.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 10:14
Can't refute my logic so you put me on ignore? Who has their tail between their legs?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 10:18
you're on IGNORE. he can't read that :)

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 10:19
Says the guy with 23,000 posts of which approximately 20,000 have been of the negative trolling variety.

it's just the internet. it ain't real life. entertainment only :D

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 10:22
it's just the internet. it ain't real life. entertainment only :D
Agreed. Not really sure why you care at all about this LW. It aint like they're touching Dot's

Chaco Taco
03-04-2010, 10:23
Congrats to Pat and Vicki. I hope this ends up being what they want. They are great people and deserve this.

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 10:26
hikers are not the only ones to stay at thr doyle. their are five residents and the ocasional non hiker guests.as for starlite, she is right. and this is why i kiss her wonder cheeks and tell her how i love her and kevin . as far as wolf goes, he has nothing but love for all humans in a profound and wonderful way and wraped up in a big fuzzy beard with a drinkin hiker attatched. dont worry bout no body. all these folks will stay at the newly fixed up doyle and love it. and pat will cook the naysayers special for them . witch is a belly buster on the house. i dare you , no i double dare you to show me a larger peice of deep fryed cod on this my beloved if not codfish lacking trail of mine.furthermore while were on the subject of silly coffie rants, do any of you not realize what this means for some folks? simply the end to financial stress is a gift that i would wish for anyone. to be free to choose what to eat and when to rest and to walk in new shoes and be able to share with more than ever before .

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 10:26
Agreed. Not really sure why you care at all about this LW. It aint like they're touching Dot's

i could care less about it or dot's. just like to argue for poos and giggles. i liked the Doyle of the 80s

Lyle
03-04-2010, 10:53
Just to set the record straight. If anyone would read, and comprehend before starting to bash, in my first post I wished them well. I am well aware that this is a business venture, and will be good for the Doyle and it's owners, not to mention the town.

My subsequent posts were in response to Panzer's statement that they will do minimal renovation, new wiring, plumbing, a coat of paint and new flooring. That is NOT what this show does, if it was, there would be no show. Simple discussion, not expressing opposition to the remodel, just pointing out that when ABC is done with it, it will not be anywhere close to the Doyle that everyone now knows. I've seen it before, big money comes in, "restores" a historic business, completely changes the clientele. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

That's all I've said.

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 11:07
things about the doyle that are funny by matthewski

the space between the running water of the sink fawcetts, and the sink ,is 6 millimeters. witch is exactly the width of a toothbrush head.

the sign on the bath door seems to read,"use of bathroom by non guests of the doyle is concidered "theif" of services."

the height of the mens urinals in the baroom bathroom is really high.

curty

no human being of the modern era has ever walked out the 2nd floor door onto the porch and turned left.

rm23

pat keeps a private ping pong room on the second floor fully pimped out.

coffie can be brewed from the boiling sink water.

their is a young perigren falcon that hunts the pigieons above the doyles parking lot that never catches anything.

the pressed glass window in the stairwell in morning light when stood in front of and a picture is taken, refracts the light to distort everyone to a faceless alien gost.

billville meets there.

Panzer1
03-04-2010, 11:37
also, the 2 floor door doesn't have a regular handle. It has some kind of other thing.

Panzer

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 11:41
okay enough panzer. thats not funney and your in florida on vacation with a sailboat. would you please go sailing. this not sailing is killing me. im about to come down their and show you how to funly sail in rough seas. now go. the stupid door has a bar for fire exit instead of a handle duh.sail!

beakerman
03-04-2010, 12:13
I think there is too much signifigance being attached to the renovation of a single building.

I've seen entire blocks in towns similar to Duncannon "revitalized" with no result other than the contractors doing the work making money. I've seen this when they go historical or just flat out renovate.

There needs to be more than just a block or two...the town needs to have a draw...they've gotta have someting more to offer than a pretty facade.

I think that's Lone Wolf's point. Sure it would be great if this worked out for the town but I think reality is going to be entirely different.

I'm happy for anyone that gets a hand, especially in today's economy and I wish the folks at the doyle and the rest of duncanon nothng but thte best.

sly dog
03-04-2010, 13:41
I really hope that this happens. Pat and Vicki are awesome people and I look forward to stopping in there every time i am in the area. As far as the people that dont like the Doyle, don't go there! I think they do a great job and deserve to be recognized for it. Not every hotel/bar owners look forward to seeing hiker trash make themselves at home in their establishment let alone keep a running photo log of them. Good luck pat and Vicki!!!!!------------Brian

bfitz
03-04-2010, 15:05
They do not tear down every structure and with the history of the Doyle I'm sure they would go the restoration route. As far as the Doyle not being worthy and those that say the money time and effort would be better spent a school or firehouse or church or VA hospital, yes, there will always be people in need and some more deserving of others but the logic here is saying if you are not going to help the blind homeless 1 legged orphan Christian Veterans, then there is no sense in helping anyone. To this I say helping someone, anyone, is better than helping no one and sitting around bad mouthing those that do. Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up. Some peoples cups are 1/2 empty. Some peoples cups are 1/2 full. I say order a round at the Doyle and fill everyone's glass to the brim so theyzle stop bitchin'
I never said they aren't worthy. They are in fact more worthy than any place in the town of Duncannon by at least 2,175 miles, my point was more along the lines of others who do not benefit feeling resentment. Certainly they aren't the most needy, though I don't necessarily consider neediness a good criteria.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 15:06
Also, the simple fact that a "bunkroom" is being considered for hikers is a clear indication that room prices are going up.

sasquatch2014
03-04-2010, 18:04
When I head of it I began to think of the great Sheridan Inn in Sheridan Wyoming which was once run by none other than Buffalo Bill. He ran auditions for his Wild West Show on the street in front. Feel free to check it out http://www.sheridaninn.com/ It was designed so that even from the 3rd floor you could slide down the shake roof to the roof of the porch in case of a fire.

I agree that the town needs to have some pull as well for it to become the whistle stop that it once was. But where will you start with the revitalization of a town? The first intersection? The east side or west side? Why not a historic old hotel which once was a draw for the town.

I hope that they get it and I hope that they try and keep as much of a historic flavor to the place minus the threat of electric shock. We had a lot of fun standing up on the 3rd floor under the center stairs windows and the falling down plaster talking about all the things that they could do. I hope that it works out for them.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 19:25
All true. If it was my place I'd want it improved. I'm heartened by the fact that they seem to be angling for the renovate route rather than just leveling it. By the way, I happened to pass a near exact replica of the doyle (in far worse shape) in a place called Whitney point, where rt 79 and I-81 intersect near Binghampton NY...Just driving by and went "huh?" Stopped but the place was empty and boarded up. Spare parts?

max patch
03-04-2010, 19:28
Has this project been signed off on and approved or is the Doyle just one of several properties under consideration?

bfitz
03-04-2010, 19:41
I think there is too much signifigance being attached to the renovation of a single building.

I've seen entire blocks in towns similar to Duncannon "revitalized" with no result other than the contractors doing the work making money. I've seen this when they go historical or just flat out renovate.

There needs to be more than just a block or two...the town needs to have a draw...they've gotta have someting more to offer than a pretty facade.

I think that's Lone Wolf's point. Sure it would be great if this worked out for the town but I think reality is going to be entirely different.

I'm happy for anyone that gets a hand, especially in today's economy and I wish the folks at the doyle and the rest of duncanon nothng but thte best.
I think it's more like the emotional attachment to the place, like someone might feel when their childhood home gets torn down...maybe shabby, and replaced with something far better, but you still have a little tear in your eye to see it go. The town wont change a bit. It's Duncannon. There is no passage of time. It's like a Bowery-Brigadoon.

Panzer1
03-04-2010, 20:20
Has this project been signed off on and approved or is the Doyle just one of several properties under consideration?

As of last weekend the Doyle had not yet submitted their 20 page application to the show. It will take them some time to go thru this.

As far as how many other properties are under consideration, we don't know, we have to assume that there are others as well.

Panzer

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 20:35
my beloved dude and panzer you are both beautifgul. the 24 page application and 18 pp building report were turned in monday after marathon coffie drinkinking and head scratching by both pat and his beautiful wife .also, the doyal is one of 10 and in the top 3 and has the pole position as long as they dont find any problems. this is insider info and i cant reveal anything but bacon.network executives dont make mistakes when it comes to witch buiolding is crappyer. ours is. so if any of you find out who the netwerk is looking at other than the doyle, go fix there roof! lol.

Panzer1
03-05-2010, 02:12
If they do eventually tear down the Doyle, I think they should first chain saw room 23 out intact an lower it onto a flat bed trailer and move it to a safe location while the hotel is torn down. Then as they rebuild the new hotel they should re-incorporate the original and untouched room 23 back into the new structure.

Panzer
ps I came up with this idea after my 3rd beer.:D

Jester2000
03-05-2010, 12:17
OK. Let's everyone remember that this is in the proposal stage. There's no guarantee that anything at all will happen. This is all very much in the beginning stages, and it's entirely possible that ABC will choose another building. Getting all excited right now would be akin to sending a video of yourself in to Survivor and immediately quitting your job and telling everyone to watch for you on the show.

This has less to do with hikers and more to do with Pat & Vickey.

There are plans to keep prices down for hikers by having some kind of bunk room for hikers.

There are no plans whatsoever right now for what the building might become.

Not sure what "shills" were enlisted by the Doyle owners. As far as I'm aware (and I'm slightly more aware than some), this wasn't their idea, and they didn't enlist anyone at all. And as far as I'm aware, it's a makeover of a historic building that houses a business, not to mention four permanent residents. So if you really need it to be someone's home, well, it is.

Does anyone besides hikers stay at the doyle? When I was there in '99 and paid the crackhead my 10 dollars for a key to the padlock on the door, it didnt seem like anyone in their right mind, and with a car would stay there. Maybe things have changed, but I find it intertesting/ironic that the hikers that seem to be keeping the place in business and are now being recruited to write letters to win the "campaign" are now being herded into single sex bunkrooms. All for the greater good/owners pocketbook I guess.

1) Yes.
2) I find it "intertesting" that a request by Matty is interpreted as recruitment by the owners, and that a plan regarding bunkrooms mentioned by hikers here is interpreted as a finalized plan. I also find it intertesting that some think that the "greater good" and the "owners' pocketbook" have to necessarily be viewed as mutually exclusive things.

Can someone, Pebble, or mwienstone, just tell me if anyone besides hikers currently stay at the Doyle?

Yes.

One of several. As noted, this is very much in the beginning stages.

Panzer1
03-05-2010, 17:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=981131#post981131)

Not sure what "shills" were enlisted by the Doyle owners.

I think we are supposed to be the "shills".

Panzer

Jester2000
03-05-2010, 17:37
I think we are supposed to be the "shills".

Panzer

Ahhh, got it. Am I getting paid? That would be nice.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 18:16
weird coincedence. mario puzzos book"fools die", witch i read in the doyal as a runnaway teen, is all about shills for a casino .ive allways allways wanted to be a shill. guess thats why i found my god. im a shill for god. love shilling. need work will shill.

chief
03-05-2010, 18:20
Not sure what "shills" were enlisted by the Doyle owners. As far as I'm aware (and I'm slightly more aware than some), this wasn't their idea, and they didn't enlist anyone at all. And as far as I'm aware, it's a makeover of a historic building that houses a business, not to mention four permanent residents. So if you really need it to be someone's home, well, it is.

With all your awareness, maybe you're the main huckster?

I don't really need anything, but the producers and sponsors might. Maybe a couple of hungry babies! I don't think a few flop-house residents and attached dive are gonna do it.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 18:23
weird coincedence. mario puzzos book"fools die", witch i read in the doyal as a runnaway teen, is all about shills for a casino .ive allways allways wanted to be a shill. guess thats why i found my god. im a shill for god. love shilling. need work will shill.
They don't like the word shill anymore. The proper term is prop player. They get paid an hourly rate by the casino with their own money to keep live games going. There kind of like undercover cops. They don't have to tell you they are prop players unless you ask then they are not allowed to lie.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 18:24
I mean they play with their own money. Damn I wish I could edit

Johnny Appleseed
03-06-2010, 00:57
So I guess it is not old enough to have listed as a historical structure? That helps to preserve looks of buildings.

sloopjonboswell
03-06-2010, 02:57
Matthewski one time gave me a $50 bill and I stayed an extra night at the doyle until the Billville party started. i think that was 4 or 5 zero days. definitely right around/ on july 4th.

Good luck to the Doyle. Good luck to everyone.

Here's a present, if it works, for anyone interested in dabbling in good mixtapes... Mondo Boys: Wintery Mix:

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2010/02/22/mondo-boys-continuous-monument-a-winter-mixtape/

sloopjonboswell
03-06-2010, 03:03
I like Arabian Antler's version of 'wolf over troubled water" this mixtape collaborative has an old mix called 'weird summer.' the ray davies track on the winter mix is awesome.

mweinstone
03-06-2010, 10:45
good morning hikerdom!
just got a call from joan watkins who is the production team manager for the a b c show, extreem makeover . it was a wrong number. she was calling her hairdresser.

in other news, the doyals in like flint if i have anything to say about it.

Panzer1
03-06-2010, 10:57
did you pump her for any information? :)

Panzer

mweinstone
03-06-2010, 11:02
do you actually belive she called?
are you going to post your vacation away?
job hunt much panzer?
bet carrol wishes you would stop posting.
hows your diet going?
bet your filling up on sugary peanut butter and jelly arent you panzer.
did you spend any time with your bro alone yet?
when was the last time you told carrol you love her cooking?
should you be hanging out with matthewski so much?
whens your bennifits up?
who gets your crap if you choke on pbj sandwitches?
can i come to fla and swim?

chomp
03-06-2010, 11:05
do you actually belive she called?
are you going to post your vacation away?
job hunt much panzer?
bet carrol wishes you would stop posting.
hows your diet going?
bet your filling up on sugary peanut butter and jelly arent you panzer.
did you spend any time with your bro alone yet?
when was the last time you told carrol you love her cooking?
should you be hanging out with matthewski so much?
whens your bennifits up?
who gets your crap if you choke on pbj sandwitches?
can i come to fla and swim?

Ouchtown... Population: Panzer

fehchet
03-06-2010, 13:39
It is an Hysterical site and it would be wonderful if it did get revamped. I wonder sometimes why we have to put a value at what level certain help or assistance is needed before the assistance is given?
I could go on but I won't. But I will say a prayer.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2010, 13:40
hysterical huh?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2010, 13:40
turn it into a comedy club

fehchet
03-06-2010, 13:54
When my mother was alive and we lived in Weld, Maine, she was head of the Historical Society and she always referred to it as the Hysterical Society and so did all the other towns people. It was part of the structure. But the strength to preserving some of the past of Weld, was always strong. So the hysterical society reference has always stuck with me. You know me L.W. I step to the front of the line any time.

Lion King
03-06-2010, 14:36
It would be good for business I suppose but I still sorta miss the old horseshoe bar and smokey locals who fell asleep at the bar and the stained walls....

the only bad thing is, the room rates would go up, the tourist trade would gather in fear of thru hikers or drunk hikers or whatever and...well, I guess they could fix the showers.

Although I took one shower in the Doyle back in 98...never again, but the food is cheap and the portions are ginormous. and they are good people.

Hoop Time
03-06-2010, 15:03
Could be the producers have targeted the greater Harrisburg area for the next season of the show. Heard talk in the newsroom about another candidate in the area needing to put together a video about why them, etc. -- and that was a family situation, not a small biz, so it does not seem they have decided for certain on a small biz, either.

Personally, I don't see the Doyle being turned into any kind of yuppie resort. As others have mentioned, there is not a lot in Duncannon to draw folks. Besides, Pat and Vicky are very aware how important the hiker market is to their business and others in town.

Last year, I think Vicky told me they had over 1,000 hikers spend a night. Lots more stop in to eat or drink before pushing on and camping elsewhere for the night. That might not sound like a lot of folks to a bigger town or city, but in a place like Duncannon, it is a significant economic impact..

It's not just good for the Doyle. Millers, the Pub, the ice cream place (3B), that breakfast place across the street from the Doyle, the laundromat down the street ... all benefit from hiker business.

Take a look at the shelves in Mutzabaugh's Market. They have a bigger selection and more varieties of stuff like the noodle dishes in a foil pouch, the tuna in foil pouches, all sorts of hiker-friendly stuff than you find in most bigger groceries in bigger towns -- all because hiker resupply is good business for them.

Pat and Vicky are not looking at this opportunity as a way to turn the Doyle into some high-end resort. They are looking at it as a way to modernize the electrical and mechanical systems that are badly in need of upgrades, a way of making the place more comfortable for hikers.

Personally, as long as they don't make them start serving warm beer or cold burgers, and as long as Pat keeps the juke box full of great jams, then I hope they get the help. Hard to think of folks more deserving considering all they do for hikers and others.

bfitz
03-06-2010, 19:41
Yeah, geez, I've my sentimental attachment to the Doyle and everything but mr. chief needs to lighten up...have you ever been to the doyle dude? It's not the kind of place that needs shilling. Shillings it needs... And whoever said the doyle has sentimental value to hundreds of hikers, make that thousands.

chief
03-06-2010, 20:46
Yeah, geez, I've my sentimental attachment to the Doyle and everything but mr. chief needs to lighten up...have you ever been to the doyle dude?Sure have. Thanks for asking.

sasquatch2014
03-06-2010, 22:19
Sure have. Thanks for asking.

Then you need to go back look around and lighten the F up. No one is try to do a scam if you can't appreciate the fact that others who care for the owners like the owners care for the hiker want to try and help out in this great opportunity then I feel sorry for you. If you really don't care then unsubscribe from the thread and focus on something else. I say good day sir!

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 00:17
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm totally trying to do a scam. It just doesn't have anything to do with this.

With all your awareness, maybe you're the main huckster?

Jester, actually. The main Jester. Why on earth would you ascribe "awareness" to the main huckster anyway? Have you already forgotten how dim witted [sic] they are?:

. . . Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.

So I guess it is not old enough to have listed as a historical structure? That helps to preserve looks of buildings.

Older than 50 years is usually the criteria, so it would be fine there. But it's my understanding that getting such a designation does limit what you can do with the building.

So the hysterical society reference has always stuck with me. You know me L.W. I step to the front of the line any time.

Even without the explanation you were right. It is hysterical.

mweinstone
03-07-2010, 01:12
no historical or building codes in dunncannon

chief
03-07-2010, 01:32
Then you need to go back look around and lighten the F up. No one is try to do a scam if you can't appreciate the fact that others who care for the owners like the owners care for the hiker want to try and help out in this great opportunity then I feel sorry for you. If you really don't care then unsubscribe from the thread and focus on something else. I say good day sir!Feel better now?

chief
03-07-2010, 01:38
Jester, actually. The main Jester. Why on earth would you ascribe "awareness" to the main huckster anyway? Have you already forgotten how dim witted [sic] they are?:

An occasional flicker of light is not unheard of.

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 01:47
An occasional flicker of light is not unheard of.

If ignorance is bliss, I'm one of the happiest guys I know.

Roland
03-07-2010, 07:59
no historical or building codes in dunncannon

Effective December 31, 2009, the State of Pennsylvania adopted the 2009 I-Codes, to be enforced statewide. (The family of I-Codes includes codes for building, energy, fire, mechanical, plumbing, etc.)

All municipalities must provide enforcement of the Codes. They may do so with their own code enforcement personnel, or they may contract with a State certified, third-party agency.

Duncannon has contracted with a third-party agency; Glace Associates Inc., Camp Hill, PA. For more information, you can contact David Matfaka at 717-731-1579

A renovation/restoration of the Doyle Hotel, particularly if televised nationally, will draw a lot of attention. ABC (and it's parent company, Disney) will not risk the liability of non-compliance with the Codes. They have too much to lose.

The cost of bringing the Doyle Hotel into code compliance would be staggering. When one considers things such as sprinkler systems, elevators, lead and asbestos abatement, ADA requirements, etc, ... well, it's enough to make Walt Disney roll-over in his freezer.

bfitz
03-07-2010, 09:50
Sure have. Thanks for asking.Wow, well there goes the benefit of the doubt I was giving you....

bfitz
03-07-2010, 09:51
If ignorance is bliss, I'm one of the happiest guys I know.
As for you, at least you know that you know nothing....

chief
03-07-2010, 13:49
Wow, well there goes the benefit of the doubt I was giving you....
In that case, I withdraw the thanks.

Panzer1
03-07-2010, 14:46
The cost of bringing the Doyle Hotel into code compliance would be staggering. When one considers things such as sprinkler systems, elevators, lead and asbestos abatement, ADA requirements, etc, ... well, it's enough to make Walt Disney roll-over in his freezer.

There is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 15:34
Effective December 31, 2009, the State of Pennsylvania adopted the 2009 I-Codes, to be enforced statewide. (The family of I-Codes includes codes for building, energy, fire, mechanical, plumbing, etc.)

All municipalities must provide enforcement of the Codes. They may do so with their own code enforcement personnel, or they may contract with a State certified, third-party agency.

Duncannon has contracted with a third-party agency; Glace Associates Inc., Camp Hill, PA. For more information, you can contact David Matfaka at 717-731-1579

A renovation/restoration of the Doyle Hotel, particularly if televised nationally, will draw a lot of attention. ABC (and it's parent company, Disney) will not risk the liability of non-compliance with the Codes. They have too much to lose.

You don't bring a building into code compliance. You comply with the codes when building. The I-Codes are construction codes. The newest version was adopted in 2009. Before that there were the 2006 codes. Before that it was the 2003 codes. It's not like PA hasn't had construction codes before 2009.

In addition, municipalities that opt out and have qualified third party enforcement do so only for residential construction. The state L&I is still in charge of all commercial construction. Glace Associates shouldn't have anything to do with construction on the Doyle.

There won't be any massive additional costs because of what the building currently possesses. Complying with building codes is required regardless of the original condition of the building, or even if you're constructing one from scratch.

Finally, ADA has nothing whatsoever to do with State building codes. ADAAG is Federal in nature, and technical infeasibility would probably cover much of what would be considered expensive fixes in The Doyle.

There is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer

I have no idea regarding that. One thing I can say is that it doesn't have any elevators.

Procras108r
03-07-2010, 16:20
Anything to improve the trail and the experiences one can have on it is beneficial to all. I know at times the show has paid the remaining part of the mortgages; however, the taxes from this 'gift' can be enormous and very stressful.

Roland
03-07-2010, 16:53
You don't bring a building into code compliance. You comply with the codes when building. ~

Yes, you comply with current codes when building. From that point forward, the structure is grandfathered, until the building is renovated or there is a change in use. Then the building must be brought into compliance with current codes.

~ The newest version was adopted in 2009. Before that there were the 2006 codes. Before that it was the 2003 codes. It's not like PA hasn't had construction codes before 2009.
~

Of course PA has had code enforcement in the past (despite Matthewski's, assertion that there were no codes in Duncannon). I wasn't giving a history of code enforcement in PA; just the current codes, which are the I-Codes.

~
In addition, municipalities that opt out and have qualified third party enforcement do so only for residential construction. The state L&I is still in charge of all commercial construction. Glace Associates shouldn't have anything to do with construction on the Doyle.
~

Duncannon did not opt-out. They opted-in. Glace Associates Inc has been contracted to provide code enforcement services to the municipality; residential and commercial.

~
There won't be any massive additional costs because of what the building currently possesses. ~

Unless the building currently contains asbestos and lead. Abatement costs can be exorbitant.

~
Finally, ADA has nothing whatsoever to do with State building codes. ADAAG is Federal in nature, and technical infeasibility would probably cover much of what would be considered expensive fixes in The Doyle. ~

Wrong, all "places of public accommodation" must comply with ADA regulations.

bfitz
03-07-2010, 16:55
In that case, I withdraw the thanks.Oh, I had taken it as sarcasm in the first place. And while I know this isn't the proper thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56004&highlight=argument)* for it, but for the sake of argument, may I ask what it is you dislike so much about the place, or why you are so negative about the proprietors?

*(shameless attempt to shill for jester's argument thread)

mweinstone
03-07-2010, 22:14
if codes of any kind were being enforced in duncannon other than health inspections and school and fire and municipal bldgs, the doyle would never have been allowed to operate. it stands as a testiment to the level of code enforcement in the town. also, i point out these real and present dangers that have existed in duncannon since i was a child and assert that if money had ever been available, these existing dangers would be of first concern:

walking to the mautzaballs supermarket is not possible due to no sidewalk or shoulder.

the subway floods regularly and people routenly attempt to cross the tracks to save the long deture.

the exit /on ramps are dangerous as they are shared and cross traffic

the hikers crossing the clarks ferry bridge have a dangerouse crossing .

mweinstone
03-07-2010, 22:17
and then theirs trail angel mary and baltimore jack tarlins baconatore witch by law are concidered leathal foods.

Roland
03-07-2010, 22:36
Matty,

If you think that a high-profile job like the nationally televised renovation of the Doyle Hotel will be exempt from current Codes, you've eaten too many of those bacon-ators!

But don't take my word for it. Call the code enforcement officer. I posted the number, above.

mweinstone
03-07-2010, 22:44
examples of laws in use, by matthewski:

it is forbidden to ride atv's in the streets of philadelphia
each summers day packs of a dozen atv's roam the streets of south philly
police are under orders not to chase or apprehend for safty sake

murder is illegal. oj is a free man.

Panzer1
03-07-2010, 23:21
murder is illegal. oj is a free man.

He's in jail now Matty.

Panzer

sasquatch2014
03-08-2010, 08:58
He's in jail now Matty.

Panzer

But not for murder.

flemdawg1
03-31-2010, 14:38
Any update?

Hoop Time
03-31-2010, 14:43
Any update?

When I stopped in after shooting the Hikermobile video, Pat and Vickey told me it will be months until they hear anything.

weary
04-01-2010, 12:06
The doyle's real secret is that it's cheap, it's friendly, and it has good beer.

David@whiteblaze
01-07-2011, 20:42
Did anything ever come of this?

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 21:56
no..............................

Fresno
11-26-2015, 00:33
Doyle has banned Seven and others. No great loss, the restaurant is foul. The hotel is a fire trap. Maybe they need a "safety meeting."

SkeeterPee
11-26-2015, 00:53
Ate lunch there twice in the last week. Owners were great to talk with and food was good and I have not died of any food borne disease.

Different Socks
11-26-2015, 01:50
That place is nastier than an overflowing privy. I hope someday a health inspector that isn't on the take shuts that place down. Trail Angel Mary's couch is the only place to stay in Duncannon.

Gotta agree with you on that one WW. When I stayed there during my thru hike, there were webs with huge spiders in every corner of the room and on the headboard. I didn't even wanna think about looking under the bed or even sleep in between the covers. Wonderful views but terrible cleanliness..

squeezebox
11-26-2015, 02:00
Ate lunch there twice in the last week. Owners were great to talk with and food was good and I have not died of any food borne disease.

With a name like Sketter pee I doubt you ever die of anything.

capehiker
11-26-2015, 10:39
Doyle has banned Seven and others.

Good. He does a disservice to the trail by promoting the party culture and then putting it on YouTube.

kayak karl
11-26-2015, 10:41
i heard room 23 is great.

rafe
11-26-2015, 11:13
Doyle lodging was pretty low brow but hardly the worst I encountered on the trail. The food, beer and music were great. I left town feelin' fine.

Fresno
11-26-2015, 12:57
Good. He does a disservice to the trail by promoting the party culture and then putting it on YouTube.

The trail has a party culture (they have parties too, if you haven't noticed). Seven reports his experience. His videos are honest and no frills. That said, his videos on YT have done more to promote the AT than you.

My post related to The Doyle Hotel and Cafe. Ever been there? I have: filthy. Rooms are bad but, I can deal with that. The food, kitchen and bathroom are serious health hazards. Getting sick from food is preventable. That is a disservice to the trail.

capehiker
11-26-2015, 18:23
The trail has a party culture (they have parties too, if you haven't noticed). Seven reports his experience. His videos are honest and no frills. That said, his videos on YT have done more to promote the AT than you.

My post related to The Doyle Hotel and Cafe. Ever been there? I have: filthy. Rooms are bad but, I can deal with that. The food, kitchen and bathroom are serious health hazards. Getting sick from food is preventable. That is a disservice to the trail.

I grew up a stones throw from the Doyle. That place was/is a punchline to the locals in the area. So yes, I've been there. Was there last summer as a matter of fact.

DaSchwartz
11-27-2015, 01:06
The Doyle is cleaner the most, if not all, trail shelters. But in saying that, there will come a time soon when it needs a very major overhaul and I can't see how it could be paid for. Perhaps the ATC could buy out the building????

Then again, every time the ATC does something, they price the average hiker out of it, like shelters in New England.

rafe
11-27-2015, 07:27
The Doyle is cleaner the most, if not all, trail shelters. But in saying that, there will come a time soon when it needs a very major overhaul and I can't see how it could be paid for. Perhaps the ATC could buy out the building????

Then again, every time the ATC does something, they price the average hiker out of it, like shelters in New England.

You're confusing ATC and AMC. The AMC huts predate the AT. For a thru-hiker, there are only one or two AMC huts that are unavoidable. The biggie (hardest to avoid) is Lakes of the Clouds hut on Mt. Washington.

Tuckahoe
11-27-2015, 07:28

First, if you are going to criticize an organization, atleast make sure you aiming your criticism at the correct organization.

But, if I am reading you properly, you'd want an organization like the ATC to swoop in and drop a cool few million dollars on rescuing and restoring ghetto flop house, but you'd object to real world market pricing and still expect ghetto flop house pricing?

Fresno
12-04-2015, 00:52

From Seven's Facebook Page (Terry Coyle):

"I am sorry that some people feel that way..I only wanted to show what a thru hike is like when your in the main bubble. I will not be promoting the party scene anymore because I love the A.T. it is my home and I plan on doing the trail until my body falls apart. I have checked and no place has been closed because of me or my videos. I have a new plan for next years documentary that should make every one happy."

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 11:34
I liked Terry's down to earth videos... I didn't see any disservice - would not mind hiking with him.

donthaveoneyet
12-04-2015, 12:29
Is this the same guy JPD mentions in her book as the "pirate" in some hostel in Virginia? I forget which town, but I think she said he was a founder of the "Hiker Trash" thing. (Sorry if I'm asking something the whole other than me already knows....)

Old Grouse
12-04-2015, 15:26
As in "Terry and the Pirates," for those old enough to remember?

paule
12-04-2015, 16:28
I liked Terry's down to earth videos... I didn't see any disservice - would not mind hiking with him.
He is a great guy,shares knowledge when asked,is quiet and reserved.I traveled with him for 3 days down the east coast...

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 20:28
Thanks....

Fresno
12-04-2015, 22:53
Is this the same guy JPD mentions in her book as the "pirate" in some hostel in Virginia? I forget which town, but I think she said he was a founder of the "Hiker Trash" thing. (Sorry if I'm asking something the whole other than me already knows....)

No I do not thinks so. Look at this You Tube video Terry posted today. I think this video speaks volumes of who he is and who he is not.

http://youtu.be/D2pK-wBDh3M

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 23:25
Thanks good ol post!

Cathole
12-05-2015, 00:29
TC: Thank you for the sights and sounds from the trail these past few years. An AT thru has been in my future my whole life. A few years now from retirement now...your videos make me happy.. Not given to safety meetings. No whiskey (beer for me). Got my own music, thank-you. Please know that (hope) I get it, and I believe that I get you...

1: walk hard and enjoy the company of all around you.
2: judge no-one who doesn't judge you.
3: A kind rebel trumps a righteous douche.

Thanks for sharing your passion, hope buy you a drink, or hike a few miles with you one day.