PDA

View Full Version : My loadout, looking for criticism. =]

DocHolliday
03-02-2010, 18:50
First, I'd like to start by introducing myself, as this is my first post here on WhiteBlaze! I've been lurking for a while taking tips here and there, and ignoring some (I know, can't help it I'm young and inexperienced), but all in all am very impressed with the wealth of collective knowledge this site has to offer. Veterans by the barrel full!

Anyways,

I'm a 23 year old paramedicine student from NY that is planning on attempting the AT thru in 2013. I have never had enough time in my life thus far to enjoy the outdoors at the frequency which my mind/body desire it.

So I'm changing my life, and I'm making time dammit!

As far as my loadout goes, i've purchased and messed around with about 80% of this list already, but have the money saved to make some major changes if need be (can never have too much excess camping gear!). Please let me know what you think.

(P.S My knife is off limits, as it is very special to me. =] )

Pack
Camelbak Trizip 3L Hydration pack with Mystery Ranch Futura harness.
Stripped down to 4lbs by removing unused webbing, labels and liners. (64 oz.)
(4 lbs is heavy, but is it worth it for the water capacity and the super padded harness?)

Shelter
Tarp - Equinox Egret 10' x 12' 1.9oz/sq ft Tarp - used for couple (25.6 oz.)

Bag - Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32 (34 oz.)

Bug and rain bivy - TiGoat Ptarmigan w/ screen window (6 oz.)

As I am a vagrant by nature, and will be known to fall asleep on your kitchen floor, my empty pack will serve as a half pad. Bag stuff sack with spare clothes as my pillow. (this still needs to be tested so some experienced long term input from a veteran would be awesome)

Clothing
Hats - Wide brimmed - (3.2 oz), Fleece Balaclava - (2 oz.), Wool watch cap - (3 oz.)

Tops - (2x) Under armor tech tee's (4 oz.), Cabela's Compression skin fleece turtle neck (9.6 oz)
- Carhartt lightweight(?) water resistant jacket (28.80 oz) (will it get cold enough for me to need this? I have about 12% body fat lol)

Bottoms - Cabela's Polartec Long Underwear (11.2oz), REI Ultralight water proof pants (11.1oz)

Hands - Wool glove liners (1.9oz) - Shell mittens (2oz)

Socks - (2x) Rei wool socks, (2x) Nylon socks

Footwear - To be determined Waterproof trail shoes (Roughly 32 oz)

Poncho - Packframe poncho (9oz.)

Cooking

Stove - Brasslite stove (2.8oz)
Fuel - 10 fl oz. of HEET in a little dasani bottle. (10 oz.)
little short spoon
2 quart pot with lid (12 oz)

Health and Wellness
First aid + Higene kit = (35.20 oz.)

Included: (Steripen Journey, Aquamira, 4oz. of camp soap, 2oz sunscreen, 2oz no rinse shampoo, ibuprofin, oral rehydration salts, 3 pill towels, hemorrhage supplies etc)

Other Gear (do I need it?)

- Folding shovel (5oz)
- 9 Hour candle
- 40 ft 550 paracord
- (3x) gallon ziplock bags
- (2x) .5 oz clip on LED lights
- Steel wool pad
- CR 123 lithium set of 2 for Steripen
- Firesteel on a lanyard w/ emergency whistle
- Stormproof lighter
- Silva basic compass
- Starflash Signal mirror
- Roll-less duct tape (10ft)
- Cottonball/Pet jelly tinder (12 balls)
- Pad and paper

Lastly, My knife - (10 oz.)

Total skin off weight: 21.96lbs

Food 9lbs (144oz)
2L of water 4.4lbs

Final weight: 35.36lbs

Any criticism or gear replacement advice would be awesome!

Thank you for taking the time to read this for me.

-Holliday :sun

flemdawg1
03-02-2010, 18:59
Have you tried fitting all that into that lil' 2300 cu in pack? Seems awfully small.

flemdawg1
03-02-2010, 19:03
Insulation clothing/jacket?
12oz 2qt pot is about 1.5qt more than needed.

mweinstone
03-02-2010, 19:06
you have stuff you cant use. ever. like a signal mirror and tinder and firesteel and steel wool and 3 hats and a heavy not waterproof coat and hemorage stuff and more. otherwise your cool.

ChrisFol
03-02-2010, 19:32
Your load is appears very excessive to say the least.

- Three hats. Nix the wool cap and save 3oz.
- Carhartt WP Jacket-- this is four times the weight of some of the lighter options. Find something lighter and save about 23oz!
- Four pairs of socks-- honestly?? Nix one wool and one nylon and save more weight!
- What is the poncho for? 9oz seems a lot for a poncho.

- 2 quarts is huge for a solo trip. Look for a smaller one (AGG 3-cup, SP 700 etc) and save around 8oz.

- A 2lb First aid and hygiene kit is far too heavy. When I go with my wife our FAK and hygine kit is under 1lb. For solo, it is even less!

- Nix the shovel-- use a rock, tent peg etc and save 5oz
- nix the candel-- a headlamp is fine.
- nix LED clip on lights, save an ounce.
- Steel wool pad, for what? Nix
- Signal mirror. Nix.

- Pack 4lbs is also heavy. You could get a lighter pack and just pick up two one litre bottles from the store (Gatorade, Smartwater etc) and save yourself a ton.

J-Rod
03-02-2010, 19:48
this is some stuff that sticks out to me

thats alot for first aid and higene ...would love to see a list of all that is in the FA kit and higene kit

thats alot of knife for any kind of hike...might look at something lighter...

Carhartt lightweight(?) water resistant jacket (28.80 oz)
i would look into something alittle lighter here as well

i agree with others this is alot of pot...might want to look into a Ti pot...you wil save weight

oral rehydration salts, 3 pill towels, hemorrhage supplies etc
leave this all at home ..take a bandana for a towel

- Folding shovel (5oz)
- 9 Hour candle
- 40 ft 550 paracord
- Steel wool pad
- Stormproof lighter
- Silva basic compass
- Pad and paper

only thing i would take out of this part is the fire steel,compass,the batteries,duct tape,1 led light...and a bic lighter

thats just me...i tell everyone to pack what they wish
but do a few test runs befor you do your thru hike

Rockhound
03-02-2010, 19:51
I didn't see a frisbee.

mountain squid
03-02-2010, 19:52
Some observations:

consider a lighter pack (http://ula-equipment.com/index.asp) - I suspect most packs have hydration sleeves
depending on when you start a 32F bag might not be warm enough
long underwear pants weigh more than rain pants?!?
camp shoes
bandana/buff
consider a lighter pot (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=MK3CNS&cat=114)
needle for draining blisters
leave the shovel at home
maps
Companion (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=642&compid=1)/Handbook (http://trailplace.com/hb_2010edition.html)for town info
hand sanitizer
headlamp
ear plugs

You have alot of time to finalize gear choices, which is very good. If possible consider making a trip to Neels Gap (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/about-us.aspx) in GA. You will learn alot, especially if you go when the thru-hikers are going through.

Also, consider attending Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/). There will be vendors plying their wares.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB.

Franco
03-02-2010, 20:26
Hollyday
Choose whatever YOU are comfortable with, but some points...
If the 10oz knife is a multi tool, in my experience all I end up using is the blade and the scissors.
So now I have a small Opinel (under 1 oz) and on longer trips I also take one that has nail clippers,scissors,small blade and nail file/flat screwdriver. Just over 1 oz.
If you are after a knife with a "wood cutting" blade, get a Mora , about 3 oz.

Hydration. Many like the idea of a bladder , but you can walk for more than 10 paces without sipping water..
Just use empty soda bottles. They will not kill you. No need to clean/disinfect/maintain them.
(BTW, I suspect that some after filtering /purifying water store it inside a germ/mold/bacteria contaminated bladder...)
Going this way you can get a 2 lbs +/_ pack.

(if your pack does not have easy to access side pockets you can make/buy a bottle holder to attach to the straps. See the ULA site for that.)

For over 3 or four days I like to have three pairs of socks. That is so that I can have a clean dry pair at camp (after I wash) and a liner type (light Coolmax) for inside the bag. Never used out of it.

Shelter. Again personal preference, but you can get a fully enclosed bug/rainproof shelter (Tarptent/SMD) for less weight .

Shovel. If you mean potty trowel, use a small snow/sand stake. Less than 1 oz , useful in soft ground too...

Franco

cwayman1
03-02-2010, 20:33
First, welcome to the forums! And good idea on asking opinions from others
-To start, you'll prolly need a bigger pack... and MUCH lighter. The link to ULA packs above is a GREAT idea.
-For a pot, which seems to be what most ppl are pickin up on, look into an aluminum "grease pot" from K-mart. Super cheap, super light (mine is 2.8oz). It holds 5 cups(1.2L) and you save about 9oz! AND it's only about $6-- a lot cheaper than Ti!
-Drop the Carhartt jacket. BOMBPROOF! You better believe it! But practical for hiking, not really.
--> look into either down or synthetic insulation for keeping warm and a shell/rain jacket for weather protection. Check campmor.com for good bargains on rain jackets, ponchos, etc. As well, google the "Packa". Pretty cool concept!
-Like others have noted-- drop: a set of socks, the wool cap, shovel, candle, steel wool, small LEDs, signal mirror.

Hope I can help. GOOD LUCK!

cwayman1

climber2377
03-02-2010, 20:40
are you looking to go UL? i have redundancy in my pack right now. i think taking more and being able to drop things along the way is better than not having something you wish you had. i would think about an AT guide book (unbound) take some pages and burn them along the way. mail other sections to your future self so you can have them as you get to them. anything for fun? hackysac, frisbee, fishing kit? needle is a good idea, and utility with tweezer and a toenail clipper? and maybe look into some rain gear.

grayfox
03-02-2010, 21:37
Hey Doc: Welcome!

Your list is way too much for a long hike. But you will be out on short trips and have lots of time to refine your personal style. Go with what you like and be open to making changes. We, almost all of us, started wth a list like yours.

Just a word of caution about your 'sacred' knife.
Be cautious about taking anything that is not replaceable with you. I have some gear that my father handed down to me. I would hesitate to carry his knife. I would not want to lose it. May not be what you meant--just saying.

Glad to have you talking here. It will be interesting to see how this list compares with what you carry out of Springer.

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:31
hemorrhage supplies

Might come in useful in hunting season.:D

And welcome to whiteblaze :welcome

Panzer

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:36
CR 123 lithium set of 2 for Steripen

It may be difficult to find those CR123 batteries on the trail. Maybe you could have someone from home mail replacements to you when you need them.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:38

I usually recommend a 20 degree bag for the trail.

Panzer

verber
03-02-2010, 23:40
> Pack

4lbs for 2300ci isn't such a hot deal. I would suggest packs from Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, ULA, or Zpacks. More volume for less weight.

Shelter
> Tarp - Equinox Egret 10' x 12' 1.9oz/sq ft Tarp - used for couple (25.6 oz.)
> Bug and rain bivy - TiGoat Ptarmigan w/ screen window (6 oz.)

That's a big tarp but reasonable if you are sharing it with someone else. If you are solo I would recommend a smaller tarp. My preference is a tarptent for extra bug free space, but doing a bivy + tarp is a proven solution.

> my empty pack will serve as a half pad.

Remember that the pad is not just for comfort, but insulation. Those 20F nights really want around R4 worth of insulation. My guess is the pack is maybe R1. You will want more. Foam is light and cheap. Insulated air matresses are more pricy, a bit heavier, but more comfortable.

> Clothing
> Carhartt lightweight(?) water resistant jacket (28.80 oz)

That's heavy. I would recommend a high loft vest or jacket. Down or synthetic. Typically I recommend the Montbell Inner Down Liner which will likely be warmer and lighter (8oz).

> Footwear - To be determined Waterproof trail shoes (Roughly 32 oz)

I generally recommend going with fast drying rather than waterproof since waterproof will eventually get soaked and then takes longer to dry.

What clothing are you wearing... this seems to only be what you are carrying. Knowing what you are wearing might result in adjusting the carry list.

Personally I like rain jackets over ponchos... but that is a personal thing.

> Stove - Brasslite stove (2.8oz)
> Fuel - 10 fl oz. of HEET in a little dasani bottle. (10 oz.)
> 2 quart pot with lid (12 oz)

Pots bigger and heavier than you need.

How much cooking are you doing between resupply. I don't recall the fuel efficency of the brasslite, but when I was use an alchohol stove I could boil my dinner on less than .5oz of fuel, so 10oz would be 20 meals worth. I would resupply more frequently than that. These days I use esbits with a MLD 850 pot and UL caldera. Stove + pot is 4oz. Each tablet (.5oz) is a meal + a second burn to make hot tea

> 4oz. of camp soap

Need a lot less. But resupply in bounce box

>2oz sunscreen

If your clothing doesn't cover you, you might want more on some sections. Remember than no matter what the UPF, most will break down after 4 hours.

> 2oz no rinse shampoo

I wouldn't bother.

> ibuprofin, oral rehydration salts, 3 pill towels, hemorrhage supplies etc...

You listed this as 36oz. I would expect everything, including your sterapen should be less than 16oz.

> Other Gear (do I need it?) ... NO

- Folding shovel (5oz)
- 9 Hour candle
- Steel wool pad
- Stormproof lighter
- Cottonball/Pet jelly tinder (12 balls)... need less than 12 IMHO
- Pad and paper

> Lastly, My knife - (10 oz.)

I know you said it was sacred.. but that's a lot of knife. Somethink like the fallkniven f1 is only 6oz. There are decent folders than are 2oz.

> Food 9lbs (144oz)

For how many days? FYI: Most folks I know end up burning 5000Kcal or more / day on their thru hikes.

Other things I might add

Map/databook?
Camera?
Hand sanitizer
A real flashlight... I find the button lights inadequate for all but the most basic needs.

I have several web pages of recommended backpacking gear (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/) which you might find useful.

--Mark

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:43
2oz sunscreen

If you starting in march or april you won't need this at the beginning of your hike. Pick it up when summer arrives.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:44
3 pill towels,

I would prefer one of those microfiber towels.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-02-2010, 23:50
I would add a cup of some kind to drink out of. I carry a 10 ounce titanium cup. I use it for water, tea, coffee, beer, whiskey ect.

Panzer

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 00:11
Wow. I took my 3 hour ritual nap in between days and bam! Thanks for all the replies!

Allow me a second to address all of the comments.

-Have you tried fitting all that into that lil' 2300 cu in pack? Seems awfully small. I've been able to fit everything sans the food, which I intended on keeping in a stuff sack strapped to my webbing. What is an ideal cu in. range for an AT pack?

-Insulation clothing/jacket?
12oz 2qt pot is about 1.5qt more than needed.Turtleneck, Carhartt, and Polar legs serve as the insulation layer. As far as the pot, I see that is the sore thumb of the group, I'll be looking to replace with a lighter option. As you maybe noticed, a lot of my gear has redundancy for emergencies. At this point it is more of a survival pack, than an AT pack, but that's why i'm here! =P
-Signal mirror ditched, tinder ditched, steel wool ditched.

-Major area of concern for me is insulation. Is a baselayer, turtle neck, and rain shell going to be enough to provide ample heat retention, without me having to waste more calories to warm my body? What is the lowest temperature I can count on experiencing along the trail?

Will a thin fleece hat be sufficient for the coldest of temperatures?

-Socks stripped down to 2 pair

-Looking at other jacket options...Any suggestions for one that will fill the criteria above?

-Candle gone, Shovel gone.

-First aid + Higene kit = (35.20 oz.)
thats alot for first aid and higene ...would love to see a list of all that is in the FA kit and higene kit

Contents of the kit are listed above. Included: (Steripen Journey, Aquamira, 4oz. of camp soap, 2oz sunscreen, 2oz no rinse shampoo, ibuprofin, oral rehydration salts, 3 pill towels, hemorrhage supplies etc) I forgot to add my DEET lotion as well, 3 oz. You'll have to excuse me on my overzealous medical kit. I have prepared for someone who may have injuries up to an open fracture or large laceration. Also, Steripen = heavy, but after getting Giardia in the middle east, it's something I will carry.

-Salts ditched

-Frisbees are for people with friends. lol :-?

long underwear pants weigh more than rain pants?!? 6' 4" =[
but i'll look for a lighter option, i'm sure there is one. I just don't want the goods to get cold. Any suggestions?

bandana/buff - On it
needle for draining blisters - Have one

headlamp Why does everyone hate my clip lights? I just have a problem wearing something that makes me look like Egon from Ghostbusters. lol
ear plugs- heard a lot about this, and the weight is negligible, so i'll take the tip and throw it in.

-As far as maps go, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go Garmin with East coast Topo, or to use regular maps. Any opinions on the subject?

Shelter. Again personal preference, but you can get a fully enclosed bug/rainproof shelter (Tarptent/SMD) for less weight . Tarp is for 2. Otherwise i'd probably use a hammock.

-I'm pretty anal about my water, but i'll experiment with other hydration options.

-toenail clipper added (have had one on my keys for the past 8 years, so I forgot about it haha)

-As for fun/documenting that's what my partner is responsible for carrying, along with some emergency food in case of a shut in.

In closing: Thank you for all of your helpful and supportive words. This site is certainly a remarkable one. If anyone has any specific gear recommendation, or wouldn't mind answering some more of the questions in this post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! :sun

(P.S) Oh yeah,as one user picked up, this set up is actually my bug out bag. I'm trying to see which equipment would be applicable on the trail as well =]

Blissful
03-03-2010, 00:21
I would never strip down socks to two pair. Without proper care of your feet you go no where. I take 3 and 4 in hot weather. And I am here with both big toenails gone from an earlier section hike (though that came more from ill fitting shoes).

ATC maps do fine. No GPS.

Cut down your first aid kit. Every ounce counts. If you come upon a fracture a first aid kit won't help no way. A cell phone will, to call for help. And if someone is hemorrhaging, a simply bandana compress and firm pressure to stop the bleeding. But seeing these events is extremely rare. I never saw one in over 2,000 miles. More poison ivy and Lyme disease then anything. And the AT crosses roads so many times, help is usually fairly close by. Though its nice you want to be ready for an emergency (as per your job description) you need to be practical as you are carrying the weight. And you'll be cursing all that extra weight by Neel Gap.

Need an insulating jacket until early May

Franco
03-03-2010, 00:24
Sorry about my "knife " comment. I did not notice your PS.
About soap/detergent/shampoo, have a look at Dr Bronner's , great stuff. Very little goes a long way and does everything (except the toothpaste bit, I prefer baking soda...)
Franco

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 00:26
Verber - Panzer

Thanks for the welcome =]

-As far as the CR123's yeah, I was pretty sure they would be a rarity along the trail. I have a 12 pack at home from my Surefire that I can add to my Bounce Boxes (i think that's what people have been calling their care packages, correct me if I'm wrong)

-20 degree bag, finally some thermal requirements! ha

I'm yet to have bought it, so it's up in the air. Any synthetic bags for roughly 2lbs at that thermal level though?

-As far as clothing, those are all the clothes at my disposal (this is skin off)

-Fuel is yet to be tested, so it's just an estimate.

- No Rinse Shampoo Ditched (Even though i'm a greasy bastard)

-16 oz. for the medical kit. That's going to be challenging, but I think I can try. Serious injury and helping others is always going to be on my mind.

- I was debating bringing my surefire for how awesome it is, but i didn't think a high powered flashlight would be necessary.

- No need for a cup, even in my comfortable life I only drink beer and water. Beer comes in a can haha.

Thanks!

Frosty
03-03-2010, 00:32
-I'm pretty anal about my water, but i'll experiment with other hydration options.Bladders can get pretty funky when you use them to drink from (as opposed to simply storing water in them).

Best thing are a couple of GatorAde bottles. Light weight and easy to drink from. When re-supplying, buy a couple more and carry out the GatorAde. Drink the GatorAde on the trail, re-fill with water and carry on.

As far as using your empty pack as a pad, I doubt you will be totally emptying it very often. Too easy to lost small crap with everything scattered, especially since you aren't using a floored tent. And not doable at all if you are using a shelter, especially on a rainy night. No floor room to put your stuff. Z-Rest is pretty light.

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 00:32
I would never strip down socks to two pair. Without proper care of your feet you go no where. I take 3 and 4 in hot weather. And I am here with both big toenails gone from an earlier section hike (though that came more from ill fitting shoes).

ATC maps do fine. No GPS.

Cut down your first aid kit. Every ounce counts. If you come upon a fracture a first aid kit won't help no way. A cell phone will, to call for help. And if someone is hemorrhaging, a simply bandana compress and firm pressure to stop the bleeding. But seeing these events is extremely rare. I never saw one in over 2,000 miles. More poison ivy and Lyme disease then anything. And the AT crosses roads so many times, help is usually fairly close by.

Need an insulating jacket until early May

-I'm a medic, I can't help it! I also don't feel comfortable using a non-sterile dressing on a wound. I would use a bandana to bind it, but I feel much more comfortable with honest to good supplies. P.S Yes, I have the appropriate gear to treat an open fracture with an improvised field splint.

-I agree with your sock bit. I wore combat boots everyday for some time, and know how nasty those socks can get. We'll see how it plays out.

-Are the maps fairly available during the hike?

-Holliday

Blissful
03-03-2010, 00:45
-I'm a medic, I can't help it! I also don't feel comfortable using a non-sterile dressing on a wound. I would use a bandana to bind it, but I feel much more comfortable with honest to good supplies. P.S Yes, I have the appropriate gear to treat an open fracture with an improvised field splint.

-I agree with your sock bit. I wore combat boots everyday for some time, and know how nasty those socks can get. We'll see how it plays out.

-Are the maps fairly available during the hike?

-Holliday

You don't need that kind of medical gear out there. The chance of you happening upon a person who needs that kind of care is remote at best. But if you feel you must carry it all, go ahead. But you'll be wanting to ship it all home. You can make do with what you have (even the old fashioned splints with tree branches and ripped up bandanas) )if by some small fraction of a chance you do come upon an emergency like that. But you are usually not far from help or a road if you look at the maps. The AT is not the CDT in no man's land. It's in the most populated region of the US. But bring what you want. But I would say your head knowledge is what you bring that's best.

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2010, 00:47
DocHolliday, a thru-hike is just a series of 4-7 day short hikes. You have gotten a lot of good advice and you definitely need to switch out some heavy stuff like the jacket and leave some excess junk at home. Anything you don't need, leave at home. For instance, for first aid all you need is duct tape, toilet paper, some rubbing alcohol, and ibuprophen. Spare batteries for an LED headlight? No, buy them in town when yours starts to dim. I carry some matches safe from damp for emergencies but I'm not going to carry a spare lighter, just one, if it dies I can borrow a light from another hiker or use the matches until I hit down. The clothing stuff sack makes a great pillow with a bandanna around it for a pillowcase.

Waterproof shoes can hold moisture in and make your feet sweet, most people prefer not have them.

But if your thru is in 2013 the best advice is for you to actually get out and do some hikes and see what you need and don't need and how well your equipment works for you. There is a surprisingly similarity in what thruhikers carry but still a good bit of choice within that similarity.

Read some of the articles here like SGT Rock on clothing and Baltimore Jack on resupply and also look at the ALDHA Companion available online. Then look at various gear lists until you get a good feel for what is possible.

If you starting in march or april you won't need this at the beginning of your hike. Pick it up when summer arrives.

Panzer

I disagree very strongly with this advice. The trees have no leaves in March. I was blistered on my forehead before I got to Neels Gap because I didn't realize how much sun I was getting. Later in the summer when the leaves are out is when you don't need sunscreen all the time. It might be different for someone with more melatonin or who works outside year round.

Bug spray is what you don't need in March or April.

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 00:47
Lol I hear that Blissful.

As to your edit:

I don't have the experience doing a long hike yet, and I know once I get out there and buck the pack around for a while, those ideals will slowly deteriorate. =P

As long as safety is within a reasonable distance, I think I can probably cut weight.

and Thanks for the perspective on shelters, insulation and gear accountability Frosty. I don't even know what one of these shelters look like to be honest.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 01:41
you can get information on the weather at this web site:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805727/k.E035/Average_Temperatures_along_the_Appalachian_Trail.h tm

it will shou you the average highs and lows.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 01:43
I disagree very strongly with this advice. The trees have no leaves in March. I was blistered on my forehead before I got to Neels Gap because I didn't realize how much sun I was getting.

Couldn't you just wear a hat with a sun brim to protect your forehead from the sun?

Panzer

Nevermind
03-03-2010, 01:44
Maybe rehydration salts could be replaced by gatorade powder, or something similar, but I (personally) plan to carry them for LD hikes and travels from now on. This is due to my recent experience of food poisoning.

Anecdote: I am studying for a semester in Singapore and traveled Malaysia with a friend for spring break. I ate some bad fish one night and my body went into evacuation mode. Probably the largest volume I've ever thrown up haha. We had to leave the next day and I was miserable. A nice Scottish lady gave me some rehyd. salts and it helped my body recover a lot.

Generalization: With that said, I've never gotten sick on a hike (longest hike was only a month though). But reading trail journals in preparation for my thru, it seems common for the author or someone he travels with to have one night where this happens. If you're two days from a town... the salts could make a world of difference. Plus one pack weighs next to nothing. I'm sure most people would leave them home; maybe enough water and eating some light snacks is just as good (and serves an ordinary purpose instead of just emergency use).

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 02:01
you can get information on the weather at this web site:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805727/k.E035/Average_Temperatures_along_the_Appalachian_Trail.h tm

it will shou you the average highs and lows.

Panzer

Thanks for the link Panzer. I'll study it to the teeth.

Nevermind - I'm a person who would rather train a bit harder, and be prepared for some risky situations than be struggling through a mishap. I will likely carry a packet due to your explanation. Many thanks.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 02:02

Well since you're a medic and we are not, maybe you have a point there. Its just that most of us wouldn't know what to do with those medical supplies.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 02:17
-20 degree bag, finally some thermal requirements! ha

I'm yet to have bought it, so it's up in the air. Any synthetic bags for roughly 2lbs at that thermal level though?I would not go with a synthetic bag though. I would go with a goose down bag. Goose down takes up less space in you pack. Plus the synthetic bags will weigh more than goose down.

Also keep in mind that temp ratings on some sleeping bags may be exaggerated.

Here's a 15 degree bag on the campmor web site that is just under 2 pounds (on sale for $300)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555

Panzer

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 02:23
I would not go with a synthetic bag though. I would go with a goose down bag. They take up less space in you pack. Plus the synthetic bags will weigh more than goose down.

Here's a 15 degree bag on the campmor web site that is just under 2 pounds (on sale for $300)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555

Panzer

I'm very hesitant to use a down bag. I feel that with synthetics, the extra few ounces is worth it's easy to dry advantage.

When I read a mans AT journal one night while sipping a bottle of Jameson, I remember LOTS of rain. Call me paranoid, but Murphy has a tendency to stick his foot in my ass at the most inopportune of moments.

Especially since I'm using a bivy, and all I've heard is horror stories about wet down bags, even merely from ones own sweat.

Panzer1
03-03-2010, 02:40
Especially since I'm using a bivy, and all I've heard is horror stories about wet down bags, even merely from ones own sweat.

Unless you have some reason to sweat more than a normal person would, I wouldn't really worry about sweating in a sleeping bag. ie. a condition or medication that make you sweat more than normal.

Panzer
good night. my wife just turned out all the lights... I have to go to bed.:eek:

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 02:42
haha Wife agro! :eek:

Night, and take care.

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 04:11
Re-Engineering pt.1

Does this seem more appropriate?

ORIGINAL WEIGHT: 7.86 lbs (126 oz.)
IMPROVED WEIGHT: 5.68 lbs (91 oz.)

Clothing
Hats - Wide brimmed hat - (3.2 oz)
- Wool hat (3 oz.)

Tops - (2x) Under armor tech tee's (4 oz.)
- Beartooth Marino Wool Hoody (8.2 oz.)
- Patagonia Rain Shadow Jacket - waterproof - (11.5 oz.)

Bottoms - Chones or Naked (I can't get myself to wear tights yet)
- Patagonia Capilene 3 bottoms (6 oz.)
- REI Ultralight pants 34" Inseam (11.1 oz.)

Being 6' 4" and gangly is complicated lol

Footwear - To be determined Fast Dry trail shoes (Roughly 32 oz)

:sun

cwayman1
03-03-2010, 09:14
As far as the pot, I see that is the sore thumb of the group, I'll be looking to replace with a lighter option. As you maybe noticed, a lot of my gear has redundancy for emergencies. At this point it is more of a survival pack, than an AT pack, but that's why i'm here! =P

-Major area of concern for me is insulation. Is a baselayer, turtle neck, and rain shell going to be enough to provide ample heat retention, without me having to waste more calories to warm my body? What is the lowest temperature I can count on experiencing along the trail?

Will a thin fleece hat be sufficient for the coldest of temperatures?

HAHA! I wouldn't so much say "sore thumb" :D as much as I would say it's an obvious, EASY, way to drop unneeded weight for pretty cheep!

"...thin fleece hat..."
-I would almost say so, but I know I would want something to cover my face at well. For me... FOR ME... I might have a light ball-cap, a thin nylon balaclava (Army Surplus= REALLY CHEAP $10), and the thin beanie--mostly for night. Same basics as you had above, but lighter, more versatile items.

-While hiking, yeah, that'll be alright for the most part, but I would add some something else for when you're stopped. As others have mentioned, down/ synthetic insulation is gonna keep you warm for a pretty small weight penalty.

Good Luck!
cwayman1

mountain squid
03-03-2010, 09:28
Couldn't you just wear a hat with a sun brim to protect your forehead from the sun?

PanzerWhat about your arms and legs? There will be bright, hot, sunny:sun days when you will only wear t-shirt and shorts. You will be walking in the sun :sun ALL day long and without the leaf cover you will be burnt quickly.

Definitely, don't forget some sunscreen...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Treefingers
03-03-2010, 09:40
half pad and pack for pad= good for me
ditch the other gear do i need section except for the duct tape and paper and pen

First, I'd like to start by introducing myself, as this is my first post here on WhiteBlaze! I've been lurking for a while taking tips here and there, and ignoring some (I know, can't help it I'm young and inexperienced), but all in all am very impressed with the wealth of collective knowledge this site has to offer. Veterans by the barrel full!

Anyways,

I'm a 23 year old paramedicine student from NY that is planning on attempting the AT thru in 2013. I have never had enough time in my life thus far to enjoy the outdoors at the frequency which my mind/body desire it.

So I'm changing my life, and I'm making time dammit!

As far as my loadout goes, i've purchased and messed around with about 80% of this list already, but have the money saved to make some major changes if need be (can never have too much excess camping gear!). Please let me know what you think.

Pack
Camelbak Trizip 3L Hydration pack with Mystery Ranch Futura harness.
Stripped down to 4lbs by removing unused webbing, labels and liners. (64 oz.)
(4 lbs is heavy, but is it worth it for the water capacity and the super padded harness?)

Shelter
Tarp - Equinox Egret 10' x 12' 1.9oz/sq ft Tarp - used for couple (25.6 oz.)

Bug and rain bivy - TiGoat Ptarmigan w/ screen window (6 oz.)

As I am a vagrant by nature, and will be known to fall asleep on your kitchen floor, my empty pack will serve as a half pad. Bag stuff sack with spare clothes as my pillow. (this still needs to be tested so some experienced long term input from a veteran would be awesome)

Clothing
Hats - Wide brimmed - (3.2 oz), Fleece Balaclava - (2 oz.), Wool watch cap - (3 oz.)

Tops - (2x) Under armor tech tee's (4 oz.), Cabela's Compression skin fleece turtle neck (9.6 oz)
- Carhartt lightweight(?) water resistant jacket (28.80 oz) (will it get cold enough for me to need this? I have about 12% body fat lol)

Bottoms - Cabela's Polartec Long Underwear (11.2oz), REI Ultralight water proof pants (11.1oz)

Footwear - To be determined Waterproof trail shoes (Roughly 32 oz)

Poncho - Packframe poncho (9oz.)

Cooking

Stove - Brasslite stove (2.8oz)
Fuel - 10 fl oz. of HEET in a little dasani bottle. (10 oz.)
little short spoon

Health and Wellness

Included: (Steripen Journey, Aquamira, 4oz. of camp soap, 2oz sunscreen, 2oz no rinse shampoo, ibuprofin, oral rehydration salts, 3 pill towels, hemorrhage supplies etc)

Other Gear (do I need it?)

- Folding shovel (5oz)
- 9 Hour candle
- 40 ft 550 paracord
- Steel wool pad
- Stormproof lighter
- Silva basic compass
- Pad and paper

Total skin off weight: 21.96lbs

Food 9lbs (144oz)
2L of water 4.4lbs

Final weight: 35.36lbs

Any criticism or gear replacement advice would be awesome!

Thank you for taking the time to read this for me.

-Holliday :sun

Nuthatch
03-03-2010, 19:58
What are "pill towels"?

DocHolliday
03-03-2010, 22:23
What are "pill towels"?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/b235/

There ya go buddy.

(P.S I dropped 4.5lbs on my pack weight)

And spent a lot more money....haha :-?

sheesh thanks guys :p

Nevermind
03-04-2010, 11:30
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/b235/

There ya go buddy.

(P.S I dropped 4.5lbs on my pack weight)

And spent a lot more money....haha :-?

sheesh thanks guys :p

Hah! Those are awesome. I personally wouldn't bring em along and just go with a section of a pack towel. Though people will also say to use one bandana for everything under the sun. But those are freakin sweeeeeeet. Pretty cool trick to impress the ladies with as well. Take em if you want em but consider one washcloth/pack towel... it'll cost less and last longer (only 10 of those "pills" in a tube for $8... plus shipping). Good find, though; I've never seen those before.