PDA

View Full Version : No permits avaliable

The Hag
03-02-2010, 20:26
Does anyone know the fine for hiking the JMT without a permit? I put in for the lottery for permits and was not drawn, after some research I have found only 6 issued per day and 4 walkups per day from happy isles is this the normal quota? How hard is it to get a walk up permit? (there will be 3 in my group on Aug,10 or 11) Any insight woulld be appreciated.

:)

fiddlehead
03-02-2010, 21:39
That is probably the most popular trailhead.
I'd try Tuolumme also.
Maybe you need to try a few other less popular ones.

brian039
03-02-2010, 21:45
There are trailheads you can use that don't require permits. That's the route I would go.

Dogwood
03-03-2010, 00:39
That's the busiest JMT TH and that's a busy time of the yr for the JMT. Here's how I've received my solo walk-up JMT permit at Happy Isles(Yosemite Valley Backcountry Ranger Office) during late June on two separate occassions. Get outside the Backcountry Office at least 1 hr before it opens in the morning. Don't leave. If anyone else shows up for permits, which is a distinct possibility in Aug, make sure you let them no what you are waiting outside the office for - JMT thru-hiking permits! There is a bench outside the Backcountry Office. The cafe/food stand nearby opens very early for some java and a breakfast sandwich. Relax. Read a book. Wait until the Office opens. Make sure at least one person in your party keeps watch and stays outside the office. First come First served! If you don't get your permit to hike that day you may be able to get your permit to start your hike for the following day from the Happy Isles TH.

If for some reason you can't start at that TH start somewhere else like the Pohono TH by Bridal Veil Falls and hike up to the Yosemite Valley rim to Dewy PT, Taft PT, Sentinel Dome, and Glacier PT. For a short first day stay at a campsite at Bridal Veil Creek(near the trail bridge) or take the the Panorama Tr(past Illioutte Falls) all the way past Nevada and Vernal Falls to the campground just after those falls just before Half Dome. That adds about 1 - 1 1/2 day. This is my preferred way to start the JMT. Even more scenic! You could also try the Tuolomne Meadows TH and start a JMT thru-hike from there!

Rambler
03-03-2010, 11:15
40% of permits are for walk-ins. I was easliy able to get two walk-in permits for a day earlier than the permits I had reserved through the mail (fax),(Aug. 10th) but I left from Tuolumne Meadows (Lyell Canyon). This actually gave me time to do some side hikes off the JMT into Minaret Lakes and Fern Lake both near Reds Meadows. Minaret Lakes was beautiful, as was the hike up, not so Fern Lake.
I have two friends who got walk-in JMT permits in July starting from Happy Isle without hassle.

The JMT was so spectacular, I'm going back this summer to hike in Yosemite again, north of Tuolumne.

BTW I had friendly and informative conversations with three Rangers I met along the trail. None asked me to see my permit. One would have walked past with only a greeting, if I had not stopped to ask him a question about Foxtail Pines. I learned they can live for thousands of years!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtail_Pine

jasonG
03-07-2010, 05:00
For our group of 5 on Aug5,2010, we made our reservation the Glacier point trailhead. We faxed it in at 5pm on aug 4 and had 5 people with a minimum of 4 and got all 5 no problem. The trail starts out of the valley right above Happy Iles and goes along the Panorama trail and connects with the JMT at the top of nevada falls. so really you only really miss the "first" 2-3 miles. and avoid all the valley traffic/crowds/congestion. and we can pick up our permit at the Big oak flat station on the way. It is, however, a 30min longer drive out to glacier point and the bus'/shuttles don't go out there..

good luck

jasonG
03-07-2010, 05:04
also, Does anyone know if you have to use the HappyIsles>sunrise pass through 'trailhead' or can you use the HappyIsles>Little yomsite valley(which has 18 reservable spots) to thruhike the JMT??

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

Miner
03-07-2010, 16:40
also, Does anyone know if you have to use the HappyIsles>sunrise pass through 'trailhead' or can you use the HappyIsles>Little yomsite valley(which has 18 reservable spots) to thruhike the JMT??

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

The pass-thru permit is for those wanting to camp beyond Little Yosemite their 1st night (hence pass-thru). If they decided to stop at overcrowded and overused Little Yosemite to camp, they would be in violation of their pass-thru permit and could be cited. It has nothing to do with the JMT but rather how far you want to hike the first day.

jasonG
03-08-2010, 03:31
The pass-thru permit is for those wanting to camp beyond Little Yosemite their 1st night (hence pass-thru). If they decided to stop at overcrowded and overused Little Yosemite to camp, they would be in violation of their pass-thru permit and could be cited. It has nothing to do with the JMT but rather how far you want to hike the first day.

gotcha, but when applying for a permit starting at Happy Iles, you can put down either Sunrise pass through or LYV? 18 spots a day is a lot more than 6..

Miner
03-09-2010, 15:23
gotcha, but when applying for a permit starting at Happy Iles, you can put down either Sunrise pass through or LYV? 18 spots a day is a lot more than 6..
Yes. If you can do the miles to qualify for a pass-thru then I'd go that route. I don't know if it is still this way, but it use to be if you just asked for a JMT permit, they'd default it for Little Yosemite Valley unless you specifically asked otherwise. The advantage for camping at Little Yosemite was the ease of being able to summit Half Dome. A lot of people aren't in good enough condition for the altitude to do a passthru to sunrise and do half dome in the same day. Word of advice, get as early of a start as you can to avoid the crowds you'll see the 1st day.

RichardD
03-11-2010, 22:29
The pass I received in 2008 and the one I received this year, both from Happy Isles require you to camp past Morraine dome. That would be just after the Clouds Rest turn off where you cross the creek. I assume that is the default as I did not specify where I wanted to stop on night 1.
Both times I applied for my permits on the first day allowed, 2008 by phone, this year by fax and both times I received just what I asked for.
A ranger checked my permit as I neared the Half Dome turn off, the only time on the entire hike that it was checked.
I have a permit for three of us for Aug 16, exit at the Portal four weeks later ( I plan on taking my time with several side trips)

karoberts
03-14-2010, 20:03
Your group will get a permit just fine, but you'll have to spend the night at the permit office and then wait 24 hours before starting. Get to the permit office by 6PM, bring your sleeping pad and bag, have dinner there, ans spend all night. Make sure you are first or second in line.