PDA

View Full Version : Mid May Hike

Seminole001
03-03-2010, 05:29
I'm going to graduate from high school this year and would like attempt a thru hike before starting college in spring of 2011, I understand that I may not beat the Baxter park closing but don't really care as I could just return next season to finish it. I was wondering what kind of weather should I expect as I cross into the Mid-Atlantic section of the trail?, also any other helpful tips would be appreicated thanks!

full conditions
03-03-2010, 09:10
Seminole - that's exactly the situation I was in when I thru hiked in '76. There are a bunch of advantages to starting the trail that late:
1. the vast majority of other thrus are way ahead of you;
2. the weather in the southern Appalachians is glorious;
3. the rhododendrons on Roan Mountain and around Mt Rogers will be in bloom;
4. lots of daylight;
5. beautiful fall foliage and weather in New England - and, no bugs;
6. loads of swimming opportunities;

There are, of course, some disadvantages:
1. Those last couple of weeks up in Maine might get a bit dicey weather-wise;
2. the heat and humidity in the mid-atlantic states can get brutal;
3. springs start to run dry between Shenandoah and the the Berkshires and thus you have to pay attention to your water situation every day;
4. virtually your entire hike will be done under a thick canopy of green leaves - don't underestimate the psychological effects of spending nearly your whole day in "the green tunnel" every day;
5. people will constantly tell you that you have no chance of making it starting that late - regardless of your personal resolve, its still a bummer to hear

Also, don't forget, you have options. For instance you could flip flop up to Maine from say, Harpers Ferry, and hike south, or, as you suggested, finish up next year. In any case, don't wait. Go as soon as you can. Best of luck.

Cookerhiker
03-03-2010, 10:26
Have you considered delaying your start by one month and doing a SOBO? That means hiking the hardest part i.e. Maine first in black fly season but once you're through the Whites, the hiking gets easier. Granted, you won't have the opportunity to hike in nice Spring weather but you'll do a continuous end-to-end hike.

Seminole001
03-03-2010, 19:50
Yeah I gave that some consideration, but I live very close to the start at springer mountain and would like to have some time to get acclimated in territory that I am familiar with. Plus I love swimming and plan to do so every chance I get.

Blissful
03-03-2010, 21:16
Yeah I gave that some consideration, but I live very close to the start at springer mountain and would like to have some time to get acclimated in territory that I am familiar with. Plus I love swimming and plan to do so every chance I get.

You can swim in Maine if you start late June - lots of lakes.

Where is there swimming on the AT in GA? Best swimming hole I know of down south is at Dismal Creek falls in VA. Probably others, I just don't recall.

And the only way to get acclimated to hiking is to get out there and start a long distance hike. Period

jedwa19
03-04-2010, 00:23
I'm heading out NOBO May 16 and plan on thru hiking til I have to get back for a class the end of August. If you are a fairly fast hiker you should have no problem getting to Baxter before it closes. If are planning on starting around the same time let me know.