PDA

View Full Version : I've got off 8 days beginning 3/30/2010, Springer or Damascus?

Manwich
03-03-2010, 11:00
I've got an 8-day vacation beginning on March 30th and I'm already itchin to get out. I've regretfully badmouthed the south enough without ever having been on the AT there and would love to now give it a chance to grow on me.

Both are places I've never been to. I have no maps. Budget for Flight/Travel is Roughly $300. Since I haven't been on the trail in 3 months, I figure my working distances are between 65-90mi in 7 days of hiking.

I have a fellow WhiteBlazer on standby for shuttle at Atlanta for me already. I've got bupkiss on Damascus (I'll employ the ALDHA and other resources once i've made a decision)

Damascus is Closer, I can drive there if I really wanted to, and transit is probably cheaper.

There will be a ton of people (not bothered by this) in GA in the 1st week April. Not so much in Damascus. I hammock-hang, usually near shelters for the social aspect and a box to poo in.

I figured out a 6-day plan from Springer to Hiawassee (still need a ride from there to ATL aeropuerte.) I have no agenda for Damascus (beginning there? ending there? starting where?)

If anybody has any recommendations, please let me know.

Springer to Hiawassee
65-90mi sobo to Damascus
65-90mi nobo to Damascus
65-90mi sobo from Damascus
65-90mi nobo from Damascus

Digger'02
03-03-2010, 11:05
Great sections to choose from. If you are only able to do about a week, I would suggest getting to Roan or Grayson. The Deep South Region, Ga, NC, TN is chocked full of awesome stuff, from Standing Indian to Blackstack Cliffs you can;t go wrong. Unless you start at NOC....

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 11:08
days off cannot be spent. they arrive freash and unused. remove day off from protective wrapper and place on damascus. daves place. proceed to hike in a circle around damascus ending each day at dots. repeat prosess until all of the surrounding trails are well known to you. during your evenings at dots be sure to check out the in bar sink. its on of matthewskis picks. stand politly at sink and tyake a full hiker shower while folks drink and squeeze by. do a george cantstandya if you like and remove your shirt(hooks provided) forgetting to rep[lace it.

Manwich
03-03-2010, 11:20
I thought i was prepared for a matthewski post but I guess I'm at a loss of words.

I'll be hiking the AT, matthewski. from Point-A to Point-B, since I'm not a Through-Hiker I'll use every opportunity to rack up milages.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 11:24
come to damascus.

max patch
03-03-2010, 11:26
Weather will be almost certainly be better for hiking at Springer.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2010, 11:34

not necessarily

Manwich
03-03-2010, 11:46

Only thing stopping me in my tracks is impassable snow. I have no snowshoes or crampons to speak of and won't bother. As far as temperature is concerned, Ill be hunky-dory at night and during the day cooler might even be better.

Manwich
03-03-2010, 14:53
Bump for Input

bulldog49
03-03-2010, 15:27
The hiker crowd leaving Springer is something I personally would avoid, so I would choose hiking out of Damascus at that time of year. ymmv.

Blissful
03-03-2010, 15:46
The hiker crowd leaving Springer is something I personally would avoid, so I would choose hiking out of Damascus at that time of year. ymmv.

Agree. Go north from Damascus, great area. But be prepared for cold. Check the weather. But we are going to hit 60s next week.

Marta
03-03-2010, 15:51
On the contrary, I say go with the herd for a week. You may very well make it farther than some of the "thru-hikers," and will be in for a very entertaining show. And you'll learn a lot, both from your own experiences, and from the pageant around you.

sbennett
03-03-2010, 15:52
no privies in TN by the way...that seems to be something you look for :)

I vote for Springer going North based on your choices but if I really was choosing, I'd start in GA and finish at Fontana or just try the entire Smokies (might not be good for you if you hammock though).

mweinstone
03-03-2010, 15:58
being amugst the crowd at springer is fun. it makes you be your best. cause others are being their worst. and you get to watch dramma queens and dramma kings haveing trouble with their whole self. at times like those, you stir your glop head down and ignore the flameing masses partially obscured by the intense smoke of their dinner. and in the wee wee hours of morn, their shivering actually makes you warmer.

10-K
03-03-2010, 16:01
The section between Atkins and Damascus is probably my favorite.

jesse
03-03-2010, 16:02
come to damascus.

I second the motion. I like ending a hike in civilization. So your not stranded waiting on a ride, or your ride is waiting for you.

From Bulldog49

Yes, avoid Georgia in March at all cost. I would hike into Damascus though.

I hope to do Atkins to Damascus the week before Memorial Day.

max patch
03-03-2010, 16:12
The problem with deciding "now" is that you do not know what the weather is going to be. I can tell you from experience (we go on a week long hike the first week in April every year during spring break) is that Springer will be good hiking weather. Damascus is a gamble. Sometimes great. Sometimes snow. If you don't mind hiking in snow then go to Damascus. If snow is a dealbreaker then you need to decide about a week away from your trip.

fredmugs
03-03-2010, 17:22
Damascus either direction. Personally I would go SOBO because NOBO is more scenic and I would save that for a trip in the fall.

bigcranky
03-03-2010, 21:01
I'd go for Springer. I like hiking with the beginning thrus, it's fun. I hiked it sobo from Dick's Creek Gap to Springer and then down the approach trail last March. Great hike.

Kerosene
03-03-2010, 23:46
Assuming you can wait until mid-March, I'd check out the snow cover around Damascus and the forecast. If there's little snow on the ground or forecast, then I'd drive down to Damascus, get Lone Wolf to shuttle you, and hike north from Hampton to Fox Creek (VA-603). That's about 85 miles, and if the weather is good and you're in halfway decent shape you could cover it in 5-7 days.

Georgia should be free of snow by that time. I walked with north with the herd from Spring in early April 2004. It wasn't all that big a deal, especially as I started from Springer on a Sunday and camped at different spots than the herd. While it was fun to meet aspiring thru-hikers, it was also clear that I wasn't one of them. I covered the 82 miles to Standing Indian in 6 days.

Have a great trip!

Bronk
03-04-2010, 02:46
I would hike north into Hot Springs from Newfound Gap. Max Patch will make a nice almost ending to your hike with a short day into town the next day. I got to Max Patch early afternoon and stayed there until well after dark star gazing. It is a great place.

Manwich
03-04-2010, 14:50
Looks like Damascus is winning. Immensely cheaper for me, I don't have to worry about airline crap and you guys seem to think it better than springering. Anyone Suppose the early starters are goin to be up in VA by that time?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 18:30
Looks like Damascus is winning. Immensely cheaper for me, I don't have to worry about airline crap and you guys seem to think it better than springering. Anyone Suppose the early starters are goin to be up in VA by that time?
some are already here. if you need a shuttle, PM me

Manwich
03-04-2010, 21:32
some are already here. if you need a shuttle, PM me

Thanks LW I'll keep you in mind. Gotta figure this out in the next few days.