PDA

View Full Version : PCT Section In May

The_Saint
03-03-2010, 11:27
Hey guys, my friends and I hiked the AT last year and want to do a 10 day section on the PCT this year in May. Any recommendations? I don't want to mess around with heavy snow all that much, but would like to get into the higher altitudes if possible. What do you think?

sbhikes
03-03-2010, 19:41
Start at the Mexican border and hike up to Mt. San Jacinto. If that's more than 10 days, then start somewhere further north than the border.

Park your car in Palm Springs then take the tram down after summiting the peak. San Jacinto is over 10,000 ft.

The_Saint
03-03-2010, 23:34
How far is that hike?

Miner
03-04-2010, 16:10
How far is that hike?
San Jacinto is about 180miles from the Mexican Border. However, the last 10-15 miles will be in some snow this May due to the large amounts we have been getting so far.

The_Saint
03-04-2010, 16:57
is getting out at San Jacinto easy? Anyone else have experience with this hike? Goods and bads?

sbhikes
03-04-2010, 21:12
It's easy to get out from Mt. San Jacinto. You can hike a side trail for about 8 miles to the tramway that goes down to Palm Springs. Or you can hike a side trail (Devil's Slide Trail) down to Idyllwild, which is a much smaller town but more thru-hiker-oriented.

The scenery as you approach San Jacinto is top notch. I was amazed how much like the Sierras it was. Since you'd be doing it in May, you wouldn't have any worse snow than the normal thru-hikers get.

As for transportation, there are trail angels in San Diego willing to give rides to the border. From Palm Springs you can probably take a bus. If you have a car, you could try to arrange a car shuttle. Try the PCT-L list and see if anyone could help you with transportation. You can find how to join on the pcta.org web site.

Be advised you'll need a permit from the forest service to backpack in the San Jacinto area.

Another nice area would be to hike Section C from near Palm Springs, up toward Big Bear and through Deep Creek. There's a hot spring there. It's way different scenery than you'd ever find on the AT. Not much altitude.

Another nice area would be big bad Section E. It's actually a lot nicer than people let on, and in May there would be nice wildflowers. Again, not a lot of altitude.

fiddlehead
03-04-2010, 21:48
I think San Jacinto would have heaps of snow on it in May.

I would head to the Anza Borrego desert area instead.

I am not sure but believe this is an above average snowfall year in S. California.

A-Train
03-04-2010, 22:05
I'd probably start at the border and hike 150 miles to Palms to Pine Highway, where you can end your hike with one of the tastiest most gluttonous burgers around.

Unfortunately this road marks the beginning of a great PCT section, but as mentioned, hiking up to the San Jacinto's is rolling the dice. If you had an extra day or two at the end I'd hitch into Idyllwild, enjoy the town and the thru's hanging around and either day hike the Devil's Slide Trail and at least attempt to get up to Mt San Jacinto, or take the tram up from PS.

While most of this section is desert, it mixes in a lot of variety and is still more breathtaking than probably anything on the AT.

sbhikes
03-05-2010, 01:18
I started hiked that section from San Jacinto down to the Paradise Cafe last year in April. There was a lot of snow but it was no big deal. By May it'll be fine. Most thru-hikers go through in later April and May.

Miner
03-06-2010, 16:26
I started hiked that section from San Jacinto down to the Paradise Cafe last year in April. There was a lot of snow but it was no big deal. By May it'll be fine. Most thru-hikers go through in later April and May.
I hiked through there at the very end of April on my thru-hike, but I can tell you this, there will be more snow there this year. We've already exceeded last years rain total and it's currently raining again outside my window.